The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I must say much of the above - and indeed some daily posts here - makes a poor case for marriage, especially after retirement! I could never sign up for SWMBO-syndrome. I certainly didn't the first time around, nor this. If Sherry is staying with me, then I see it as my job to be the entertaining host, and we consult about activities beyond the home. If I am in Torbay then  I try to pull my weight on chores, positively enjoy shopping together, and find I am offered plenty of opportunities to be footloose and fancy-free when Sherry is busy with theatre, singers, church, whatever. So, for example, swanning off to Paignton Model Shop or Kernow, probably both, to spend implausible amounts on models is recognised as part of the deal. As Paul, her vicar, described it, we have a semi-detached marriage and it works fine. Paul was not a little envious.....

Re-negotiating your deal remains an option, chaps!

I still woo my girlfriend.

Bought her a few beers last Monday.

Shes driving me to an exhibition on Friday. I also let her buy locos for herself aswell as me :sungum:

So she's quite content not getting married.

Our normal train was last reported 16 late  (just checked and its made Redhill - the Tonbirdge portion is delayed and the Reigate portion is now 25 minutes late and will get later or cancelled until the Tonbridge portion in front of it moves).

Howevervwe jumped on a Caterham service at LBG and changed at East Croydon to catch the late running service from Victoria that got later and later so we bailed at Merstham to catch a bus.

What a kerfuffle for what should be a 35 minute journey.

Anyway  made it home and spent the last few minutes swapping over the heating programmer ot the new one. It just clips in place of the old one. All appears fine, ready for the boiler service tomorrow.

Now for some modelling time. Well more like tidying up modelling stuff around the house.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

It's sometimes very difficult for Catholic priests. Celibacy and that type of thing.

I believe Paul to be High C of E, and therefore almost certainly married. His comment, and recognition of Sherry's talents in reading the lesson etc mean I like him without ever having met him!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I have been reliably informed that I was only married because I am a domestic technocrat.

That's what the army taught me to be; it also taught me that bullsh*t baffles brains.

I might have little of the latter, but can generate plenty of the former.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, but cold disnae bother most Geordies on nights oot; surely you'd be in shirtsleeves? And the women in short skirts and nae tights?

Sunny here but it's meant to be raining all day. A wee bit chillier, though. Think I'll chance a walk into town.

Have a good day

Mal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxXbpHeIrUc

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I have been reliably informed that I was only married because I am a domestic technocrat.

That's what the army taught me to be; it also taught me that bullsh*t baffles brains.

I might have little of the latter, but can generate plenty of the former.

I have mentioned before that I think Aditi married me as I seemed to be good at putting up shelves.

I don't find operating any domestic appliances to be a problem. Our current laundry devices may in fact have handbooks but neither of us have needed to consult them.

I suppose this is a cruel statement but looking at some people's reaction in the laundrette on board cruise ships does make me wonder at the general level of technical comprehension among the population. This time I avoided the laundry (I packed more than enough clothing) but Aditi went as she wanted to wash something that had soup on it. She arrived just as one chap forced a door open and flooded the place. Aditi asked him why he hadn't phoned for assistance. He hadn't thought of that.

Edited by Tony_S

?... looking at some people's reaction in the laundrette on board cruise ships does make me wonder at the general level of technical comprehension among the population. ....

It used to be that, if you could afford to go a cruise, you could also afford to have people to do your laundry.....

• RMweb Premium

I frequently, nay daily, refer to Chris as The Boss, sometimes SWMBO, Herself and occasionally Her Royal Bossness.. She has seen that and laughed because neither she nor I are in charge. What we have is a pretty successful partnership that started with our first date on February 24th 1966. We do argue (quite a lot) but agree to differ and whatever the disagreement it usually ends with me making her laugh. Hopefully our version of doing things make a pretty good case for our marriage that so far has lasted 46 years.  :friends:  :imsohappy:

Ours is a similar partnership, no one is the boss, we are a team, but occasionally when either of us asks the other to do something, we'll sometimes salute and say "Kler" as in the TV show 'ello 'ello!

We've known each other now for over 40 years, been together (since 12th February 1978) nearly 39 years and married for just over 38.

We both always had a wicked sense of humour, which thankfully we still have and we regularly taking the p!ss out of ourselves and each other. We sometimes argue, but it never fall out.

When we first met, at a mutual friends party, I don't recall this, but from what Sheila has said, I can certainly see my self saying those words. Sheila was at the 'bar' with a friend, (the table where all the alcohol was) I was also there, pouring myself a drink, when Sheila was asked if she'd like a gin and tonic?

Sheila replied

"no thank you, it's like drinking perfume"

I immediately turned around and said drunkenly,

"I wouldn't know, I don't drink perfume"

And with those wise words, I then ambled off and continued to get p!ssed.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

It used to be that, if you could afford to go a cruise, you could also afford to have people to do your laundry.....

I think Cunard imagine that all their passengers can afford the wines on the wine list!

I think for those in Queens Grill staterooms the butler arranges the laundry.

I think Cunard imagine that all their passengers can afford the wines on the wine list!

I think for those in Queens Grill staterooms the butler arranges the laundry.

I was shaken and stirred when I ordered a vodka martini on the Norway cruise, but would probably have been apoplectic if I'd ordered it whilst on Norwegian soil.....

Edited by Horsetan

I've eventually made it home. However, it was the journey from hell with a combination of rain that reduced visibility and reduced speeds to 30 mph on the motorway coupled with a multitude of cockwomble drivers that should never be let out unless they were walking.

Another sensible ER time tomorrow as I'm working from home writing reports.

• RMweb Gold

I was shaken and stirred when I ordered a vodka martini on the Norway cruise, but would probably have been apoplectic if I'd ordered it whilst on Norwegian soil.....

The measures for the spirits sold on board the Cunard ships are approximately twice that of a UK single measure. We did have a reasonable "on board spend" so drinkies seemed a reasonable way of spending it.

One of the other diners on our table did overhear one conversation.

"Daddy, you do realise the wine you ordered is $3200 not $32".

Tony

• Like 13

The measures for the spirits sold on board the Cunard ships are approximately twice that of a UK single measure. We did have a reasonable "on board spend" so drinkies seemed a reasonable way of spending it....

It did seem quite a large vodka martini, now that I think back to it.

You're not allowed to use your own credit and debit cards on board; everything has to be on the Cunard charge card which doubles as the electronic door key to your cabin. It's only when you return to home port that the final (whopping) bill is presented  :O 

Had your private email server been hacked?

No, because she deleted them.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1