The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The biggest shock was finding Stavanger station to have a Baz about, and finding what looked like an IoM Beyer-Peacock 2-4-0T preserved in the concourse!  Turns out the IoM locos were a development of the Norwegian ones.

Oh, and the cold....it was mid-winter, and the coldest for many years.  And I thought Geordieland was cold...hah! -32c recorded on deck....

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Happy birthday Geoff.

Mrs and Junior NB disappeared off on a food tour giving me 4 hours to pass. I'd already scouted out the local rail scene and I wasn't disappointed.

I had heard stories about some US folk being suspicious of camera toting at trains but I had no problems. Just one guy driving a switcher in and out of an oil terminal asked me who the photos were for. My English accent had no problem in countering any issues.

Quite a few cheery waves from the other drivers. I'll post a few pics after I get home.

Only heard one plane overhead today.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Saesneg just happens to be the Welsh for English. 

quite similar don't you think.

Other words are available such as window (French; Fenetre:  Welsh; Ffenestr)

Happy Birthday Geoff.  

Sassenach is the opposite of Teuchter.  The former is a lowlander described by a highlander; the latter a highlander described by a lowlander.  Both are mildly derogatory in an amiable sense.  "Sawsenek" is Cornish for English and compares with the Scots "Sassenach" and Welsh "Saesneg", literally "Saxonage".  All from the same Celtic origins.  

Duvet day today.  The ills of the past few days have caught up with me and I require medication which prevents me from working in a safety-critical environment.  I'll be back tomorrow hopefully with a foot which once again fits inside its safety boot and a snot dispenser which requires a refill having dried up.  

Cloudy 20C forecast today.  Sunny 31C expected for the next two days.  Damp windy 15C for the weekend.  Happy Springtime!

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Slightly damp start but a very mild 13oC and there may be some sunny spells followed by outbreaks of rain later.

Earlier this year we went on a Norwegian cruise and although forewarned about prices were still surprised at the £17.50ish we were charged for 1 lager, 1 coffee and 1 Sprite in Bergen. After that we decided to do our drinking on board. I also found the museum in Stavanger very interesting although The Boss and Steve left me to it and went elsewhere.

I've decided that I need more exercise (trousers are complaining around the waistline) so I've  re-started my daily walks. I might even dust off the exercise bike although when I last used it I overdid it and caused my knee problems so will have to take it gently........very gently. So gently in fact that I might just look at the bike and think about it for a while.   :scratchhead:

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

You could take up swimming. Bring the Mrs, she'll probably like it, doing stuff together  ;)  The local pool might offer special times and fares for certain age groups, including those 'young at heart' :rofl:

Anyway, if you do get on the bike, start easy: 5 min at 7mph for a week. Next week, do 10 mins at 7 mph. Then increase speed to 12 mph, again just 5 mins to start with. Followed with a week of 10 mins doing 12 mph. Then increase the length to 15 mins, then 25, then 40, then 1 hr. By this time you'd probably need a change of pants size :yes:  Oh, and reduce the amount of Swiss rolls you put behind your molars each year :P

Ah, but she can't swim.  Oooh, hang on a minute, now there's a thought!  :yes:  :jester:

Anyway, if you do get on the bike, start easy: 5 min at 7mph for a week. Next week, do 10 mins at 7 mph. Then increase speed to 12 mph, again just 5 mins to start with. Followed with a week of 10 mins doing 12 mph. Then increase the length to 15 mins, then 25, then 40, then 1 hr. 

After you've done that, perhaps consider getting a bus back.

Good morning one and all

I have run out of tomato ketchup.  I could have sworn that I bought one on a recent fodder run but there is no sign of it.  How the memory plays tricks.  Fortunately the last gasp in the squeezy bottle was just enough to provide the necessary garnish of the fish cakes I had for tea.  Oh well, guess what is already top of the shopping list for Friday.

Leaving aside such trivia, it's Area Group tonight.  Once again the faithful will gather in the pub hoping to goodness that there is no football on TV and therefore no supporters clad in lurid garb and making tribal noises.  Being able to hear oneself and the others speak is a salient part of group meetings after all.

I did a bit more work on the C*****mas message yesterday after I had remembered something that needed to be included.  With any luck it will be ready by this afternoon but this should not be taken as a binding contract!  Both the friends who have moved have kindly supplied their new addresses.  One is now just round the corner.  Whoopee, I save a stamp.

Amid all this I will be agonising over whether and how to inquire about the non-arrival of my new membership card for Friends of Pendon.  The old one expired at the end of October.  The absence of the new one will not be significant until Good Friday when I next plan to visit Pendon Museum but peace of mind can be so important, can't it? 

Best wishes to the lonely and depressed, to all travellers and to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving and missing.

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Q,

My memory thinks there are "P" Celts and "Q" Celts, but can't remember which is which. One is Scots ans Lrish, the other is Welsh, Cornish and Breton..

Bill

Q Celts(Goidelic),  Irish Gaelic, Scottish Gaelic, Manx.

P Celts (Brittonic), Welsh, Breton Cornish.

The mixing of  populations in the past and today is one of the reasons I have a intense dislike of the poison dwarfs policies.

Talking of Intensity, an Intense depression has fallen on our factory, yes it's annual assessment time, this is an extremely complicated system using words invented by an obscure Michigan professor, ( that obscure you look the words up and his name appears).

We get bombarded by talks videos etc to try to explain what it all means, but they give examples like people with 20Million Dollar budgets, which shows how out of touch with the real world, the head office in America is with the majority of staff who have no budget at all.

What it actually means in the end is the local managers conspire with the staff to fill the forms in. We all get above average marks and we all get below the announced average pay rise....

• RMweb Premium

Morning to most, evening to others elsewhere on the planet.

Highlights for today is a visit to the Leeds MRS clubrooms tonight. Housework and various other tasks have been "suggested" by her indoors.

The house seems a lot tidier since the Herbert's up sticks and left home. Apparently I have to sort their rooms before they visit at Christmas.

Busy weekend as I am away with her indoors in Grimsby as she is playing in a concert on Saturday. This means a trip there Friday, overnight in Cleethorpes a quick trip back for me to do a bit of umpiring, then back for the concert.

We are off to a celebration brunch on Sunday before returning home for a bit more umpiring.

Have a nice time today

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Exercise bikes usually don't stray very far from their starting point ;)

As it says in very large shouty letters on the side of a building I see every day from the train "Treadmills get you nowhere".  It's an athletics club.

On the other hand stuff is going somewhere.  A fellow RMwebber is taking a complete rake of small plastic wheeled items with seats.  I shall test the suspension first as they're bound for Noozilland and buyer has already mentioned they are still receiving shocks every few minutes, some quite big, and the house is showing more damage every time.  

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

A day of website maintenance beckons. By maintenance I mean re-vamping. And by re-vamping I think "scorched earth and stat from scratch" would have been quicker. 

Meanwhile I've measured twice and not yet cut once on the new baseboard woodwork. A break from hitting my head against a computer screen is planned for mid-day when, hopefully, I can pop home and do a bit of sawing. My excuse, not that I need one, is that this will count as exercise. The more model railway stuff I do, the fitter I'll get. Honest. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Who was this imposter...never been to Stavanger, honest gov, beer too expensive. :-)

Baz

I have had just one pint in Bergen. Too expensive especially for what was a basic lager. I think it's the only holiday where I had three days of no beer.

Morning from a damp Surrey.

Train last night was only 10 late for no apparent reason. Luckily the bus was also late so we managed to catch it as too wet to walk home.

This morning the Vic service has a fault so it's skipped Horley and Redhill but has delayed our train. So 5 out of 5 trains delayed or cancelled for us this week so far.

Just a little modelling last night and this morning. The lost whistle on the Hornby Radial has been replaced with a brass one and a couple of Czech HO scale wagons weathered.

Had a call from the Newcastle and a District exhibition manager. Smrzovka confirmed for their November 2017 show. It's been on the show list for a few years but wasn't sure if hey were moving month and venue but that's the Blythe and Tyne club.

Just two days of work before we head North. It's been a few years since we regularly had four of us in the car and the layout so this frvthis weekend I need to thin out all the support stuff that has accumulated in various bags to make sure we can fit four of us in together with our overnight bags stuffed with enough for two nights away.

Update

We have been put behind the stopper form Caterham to ECR so crawling all the way and now at least ten late.

Edited by roundhouse