The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
secure them with some sort of mesh (I wonder if it's any good for scenic use on layouts?).

Even if it is, you won't get much of it - my mesh is only about an inch or so long, and was put in a couple of years ago - however, it is probable that the process if insertion will be a short stay - mine was actually done as a day patient.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone

It's been quite a busy day here at BSW01 towers. 3 litres of roast tomato and garlic soup made, a large faux bucket for our large faux Christmas tree has been started. After lunch I went for a walk, I completed about 4 miles this afternoon and I'm bucking follocksed now.

I'm just about to start tonight's tea, lemon and pepper turkey steaks, which I picked up from the butchers whilst I was out on my walk. Served with vegetables and roast potatoes.

Edit - as I did roast spuds instead mmmmmmm!

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Mrs Stationmaster has been talking to the chiropractor about my capabilities (in the domestic utility way) - regrettably it seems I can use the vacuum cleaner provided I don't lift it and I can should walk shortish distances but no longer distance walking or heavy carrying of any sort.  So G word definitely knocked on the head but 'gentler exercise' strongly advised.   I await a second opinion on the vacuum cleaning.

• RMweb Gold

Mike, I can give you a second opinion. Do not go anywhere near a vacuum cleaner, they can be very very dangerous! 

I know this because I've tripped over one on more than one occasion and nearly hoovered myself up!  :jester:

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Gold

And here we go again. Due to the broken down train this morning at Littlehaven then a broken down train at Purely ther is major disruption across the Southern network. Quite a few trains cancelled here at LBG and many others delayed like ours which came in nearly 10 minutes after it should have left.

Now just siting here on a wedged train in first class. They just let a later East Grinstead go in front of us so we will now be even later.

Caterham and Tattenham Corner now just joined the cancelled list along with an Uckfield service and the Littlehampton one.

I can see this train being terminated or skipping stops at this rate. We may yet end up in a pub somewhere.

Update.

We are on the move about 17 late but at a crawl as they have let A Bognor service go in front of us.

Southern Fial living down to its reputation.

Yep we are now stopped outside LBG

Now 25 late leaving ECR.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

posted loads of parcels this morning and some more to be done this evening.

Cricket umpired... Chaotic but great fun!

Chaos in Headingley as work is being undertaken looked at  with regards to some water main changes. Why did the council pay so much for an aborted supertram... there, in the large hole excavated by the contractors were.... two trams rails - yep they are still in place and still in gauge.. take off the tarmac, put some wires up and off you go.. simples!

Baz

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

So that's another restless night here in NZ survived! Luckily I wasn't woken up as frequently from the aftershocks! We've now had over 650 major ones in the last 31 hours!! Anyway wish me luck as I'm off to partake in an exam

Just seen thyour video of the devastation on the coastal route, both rail and road.

Wish you and all ther all the best.

I have never knowingly experienced an earthquake even though I have been in the vicinity of one in Nevada and one in London many years ago.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Lily needs a trip to the vet's tonight, and when I came over the tops from taxi run for 30747, the fog was pretty thick, so it is likely that it will be even worse when I turn out again later. 

Just a quick visit while Lily is bathed and medicated.  What appeared to be a lump of some sort was actually a mass of impacted hair over an infected hot spot, which had wept onto the hair, been scratched and picked at.  James the vet has shaved it, cleaned off the horrible bits, and given us a special shampoo and a gel to rub into the wound.  And yes, it was foggy, very foggy, and in the course of a four mile drive, I encountered one clown with just sidelights, and about four cylcops cars.

Spaniels - DOH.

Evening all,

Southern Fail back to normal today amid rumours of a big meeting and an announcement in the next few days.

Genau!

I wish that was my major concern. When I open my mouth, everyone knows instantly where I come from - and it ain't Hamburg!

You really must have those Transylvanian fangs cut down!

Yo-ho-ho - the G word can be forgotten furno.  

Very nice lady Doctor duly instructed me to drop my trousers and had a good feel of my nether regions, then asked me to lie down so she could have another feel of said area - at which juncture I should add that Mrs Stationmaster was also in the consulting room so you can forget what some of you might have been thinking, sorry.    Doctor duly concluded a couple of bits of body weren't where the were supposed to be and that she needs to sort out another Doctor of the surgery practicing kind who can put them back and secure them with some sort of mesh (I wonder if it's any good for scenic use on layouts?).

Most likely not!

Now awaiting contact details once she's sorted out the right surgeon -'it has to be one I know about' she said (reassuring was that bit).  So is the hernia (medical name for bits that aren't where they should be) due to using the leaf blower, carting and stacking the logs, or cutting back shrubs?  Doesn't really matter but it definitely isn't down to going to Wycrail or the POS hence I'm firmly attributing it to the G word.  And I wonder if it's safe to use a vacuum cleaner - drat, I should have asked about that?  And clearly I can't tidy the dining room either as that involves lifting piles of books.

So here's an amusing little question - what happens once every 66 years?  Answer - bits of Stationmaster going where they shouldn't (no sniggering at the back).

Vacuum cleaner involves twisting and pushing, so that's a no-no; lift nothing more than a 2lb bag of sugar for the first few weeks was what they told me!

• Like 9

and another thing...

(see, it's dangerous to leave me alone with wifi and 8+ hours to kill :) )

Observations from my 8:30am drive from Addlestone to Hampton Hill on Sunday;

i) When did they start delivering EVERYTHING to shops on Sunday mornings. The roads were congested with delivery vans either doing about 20mph OR almost double parked on narrow roads in front of every shop in England it seemed

ii) I must've missed the memo declaring everyone in the UK now eligible and required to train for the Tour de France next year!!

iii) Those training (see ii above) in HORDES apparently didn't read the Highway code or missed THEIR memo recommending against riding 3 or 4 abreast on roads the rest of us are also supposed to be able to use!

I'm generally very respectful of cyclists but NOT when the decide to create their own peleton at the expense of the rest of us <grrr>

Still 1hr 34mins to go.

I'd like to thank the academy, etc...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4

and another thing...

i) When did they start delivering EVERYTHING to shops on Sunday mornings. The roads were congested with delivery vans either doing about 20mph OR almost double parked on narrow roads in front of every shop in England it seemed

ii) I must've missed the memo declaring everyone in the UK now eligible and required to train for the Tour de France next year!!

iii) Those training (see ii above) in HORDES apparently didn't read the Highway code or missed THEIR memo recommending against riding 3 or 4 abreast on roads the rest of us are also supposed to be able to use!

I'm generally very respectful of cyclists but NOT when the decide to create their own peleton at the expense of the rest of us <grrr>

Just reminding yourself of why you don't live here anymore?

• RMweb Gold

and another thing...

Still 1hr 34mins to go.

I'd like to thank the academy, etc...

Whilst many cyclists are fine there are plenty that are very much not which gives them all a bad reputation. Only tonight we were about to cross over at a set of lights after our epic journey on Southern when. Cyclistvwe t whixzzing through the red light with no intention of stopping .If the traffic the other way had moved quicker than the cyclist would have got a Darwin Award.

A good job that we weren't desperate more so than normal fora pint otherwise he would have hit us.

We only stopped for one but now on our fourth and our neighbour who works for Network Rail is in here but can't have a go at him today as it's all Southerns fault.

But he's not wearing wellies!

Slows you down when you are after a new girlfriend.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In-Laws in NZ report OK - but shaken.  They need to see Ian's cyclists and vans to remind themselves they are still better off over there......

As a linguistic failure I can but shudder looking at the German grammar - and consider Dom's fantastic language skills!  As a Geordie I find English hard enough. :jester:  :jester:

Mike, sorry to hear you have burst out!  Two friends have had the mesh repair and recovered well and quickly.  One other had a more traditional repair and it took some considerable time to become comfortable.

Rick - unbelievable. What an awful experience. :cry:

• Like 15