The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning form London Bridge area.

Dozed off on the train this morning.

Train late last night so bailed at Merstham where three buses were showing running within a few minutes of each other, so that was the quickest way to get home. This morning train not too bad but those using Thameslink to the North had another very slooooow journey in as the signalling is still being fixed after Tuesdays wires down incident.

I thought that I would be able ot fully fix our heating system last night by replacing just the motor in the three way valve head but after removing the old motor I found that one of the micro switches was broken and no way to easily replace it so its a new head unit that I will order today.

Our pond takes 3000 gallons and the filter around 250 gallons.  Our domestic tap runs at 250 gallons per hour, so 12 hours.  I cu meter is 219 gallons, so 13.69 cu m.

The white foam is just a combination of new tap water, the existing pond water and the filtration kicking in.  It will go within a day or two.

Water pressure in France must be much higher if you are getting 4m/hour.  If only......

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning everyone

Mrs W has just left for her Zumba class, so once again I'm home alone! Today however I will be painting some large picture frames white, as there are three of them it's going to take more than a day, so I best get cracking then.

Back later

• Like 1

Water pressure in France must be much higher if you are getting 4m/hour.  If only......

Highly likely. Water pressure in the UK is usually around 10 meters head - which equates to 1 bar.  At least, that is what the water companies aim to provide.  Of course, this can vary based on terrain, and how close you are to a pumping station.

My water pressure at home is usually around 5 bar.

Edited by Robert

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny here. It isn't very warm though, 7C at he moment.

We are off tomorrow to Chester for the weekend so I will need to sort out some appropriate clothing. I suspect it won't be the stuff I took to the Med recently.

We spoke to Matthew last night. He is returning to Utrecht for a week so that he can find somewhere to live after Christmas and also to have a chat with his research supervisor.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Our pond takes 3000 gallons and the filter around 250 gallons.  Our domestic tap runs at 250 gallons per hour, so 12 hours.  I cu meter is 219 gallons, so 13.69 cu m.

The white foam is just a combination of new tap water, the existing pond water and the filtration kicking in.  It will go within a day or two.

That's a depth increase of 4 centimetres per hour.  Roughly the same flow rate Gordon.  A neighbour of ours was contacted by the water company after he'd filled his pool.  They thought he had a leak.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

A bit of sun outside at present but showers are forecast.  Cats going to the vet today for their rooster shots (who else used to watch Rugrats?) so it will be the entertainment of getting them into their baskets and hoping they behave themselves whilst in them.  Must look up the trains for tomorrow as I'm involved in a small excursion to the big city - should be a good occasion but I hope they've got some decent cider in by now.

Have a good day one and all

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I have no objection to switching the telly off, or to not having one in the first place - but why must the folk who advocate this always assume a position of superiority?

I mentioned that I didn't watch afternoon television and tended to only turn it on to watch specific programmes. No position of superiority was intended. If the afternoon programmes were about anything I am interested in I would probably still not watch them in the afternoon anyway and would record them for later.

I don't watch Coronation St, Eastenders, Downton Abbey or singing audition and dancing programmes. This doesnt make me superior to anyone who does though I notice stating that I haven't seen something seems to annoy some people. Perhaps they think I am being snooty?

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One bit of interesting news (or is that gnus) that seems to have been buried yesterday was an article in the Independent around the EU allowing individuals to retain EU citizenship. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-citizenship-freedom-of-movement-passport-how-to-keep-parliament-live-move-abroad-a7405196.html

That's about all from me. Enjoy your day.

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit cloudy this morning but dry, the forecast is for a better day tomorrow. I too read the above item in the i newspaper and certain right wing politicians and newspapers were complaining about it. We're not a dictatorship (yet) so as far as I'm concerned they should keep their mouths shut. Surely anyone born between when we became a member of the EU and Brexit day is automatically an EU citizen? Thats my rant for today, be back later.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I'll bet you and all the other pond owners are sorry you didn't buy an ex GWR(please feel free to insert your own railway company of choice) water crane and tank.

They can shift a couple of thousand gallons quite quickly. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Right, so, as I had the same shift for the last two nights, may I just combine images... :yes:

20161108-_dsc0677d2kib.jpg

Tuesday night was cold and dreich as I was stood at the Exhibition Centre with 1212 "Bern" ...

20161108-_dsc06803lkuj.jpg

...and later at Markkleeberg with 1101-937, which trailer I found to be a better match for 1101 than the one which had been coupled to it before. However, when I had the same set again last night, a data bus error had Control respond by sending out 1123 as a replacement tram to Markkleeberg for the last round as it was apparently found too risky to possibly have the same error reappear.

20161109-_dsc0686uakwr.jpg

For my bit on Line 16 yesterday, I had 1216 "Kiew", seen here prior to my returning to Dölitz.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

For Jamie:

Not sure of the scales, but hippos come in all different sizes.

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-model/nature/hippopotamus

Having seen the prices I'll look in the poundshops or maybe just bring my camera to Warley.!!!!!

Jamie

PS I've room for a Midland tank and water crane in the garden in France but I'm not sure my marriage would survive.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Highly likely. Water pressure in the UK is usually around 10 meters head - which equates to 1 bar.  At least, that is what the water companies aim to provide.  Of course, this can vary based on terrain, and how close you are to a pumping station.

My water pressure at home is usually around 5 bar.

If only... If I open the bath taps, the sink taps stop flowing, that's at 12ft above ground level

Been in discussion with a friend in Deepest Devon who has more than a few issues in her life.  Fibromyalgia (since childhood), acquired total deafness (in the past 18 months) and now severe depression.  At 28 she feels worthless and to use her own words "Who wants a fat deaf cripple?"  She hasn't said as much but must be also desperately lonely.  She left a share-house which she could no longer cope with to move back in with her mother so she does have some support on hand.  I'm providing the supportive words and virtual hugs in a way I know will be received as intended.  She has a long road ahead with no guarantee of relief from any condition. But she has company and support along.

I can relate to that. My wifes fibro is so tough at times. The change of medication recently hasnt helped and her depression has come back with it because she was taken off the anti depressant. The anti depressant was used for the pain. Yesterday she stopped the Tapentadol and we have just phoned the surgery to go back on the previous drugs as they seemed to give more relief. The relief isnt much but it is relief.

Her Fibro pain is like having severe pain everywhere and taking a Smartie 3 times a day.

• RMweb Premium

German jokes are cleverly engineered, robustly manufactured and always work. If you're German :P

:jester:

:punish:

but they are Jerry built and wont last long

Making jokes about German jokes is strengstens verboten! :nono: :mosking: :jester:

• Like 1

I mentioned that I didn't watch afternoon television and tended to only turn it on to watch specific programmes. No position of superiority was intended. If the afternoon programmes were about anything I am interested in I would probably still not watch them in the afternoon anyway and would record them for later.

I don't watch Coronation St, Eastenders, Downton Abbey or singing audition and dancing programmes. This doesnt make me superior to anyone who does though I notice stating that I haven't seen something seems to annoy some people. Perhaps they think I am being snooty?

Tony

The 'great' thing about British tv seems to be that they want you to watch it even if you try not to. For instance the evening series presently running called Find it Fix it Flog it or somesuch name was on just a few weeks ago in the early afternoon. I guess soon it will be repeated again in the evenings.

I had an idea that the 2nd screening of a show should have, in the left hand top corner, the date in size 12 font of the first showing. Each subsequent showing of it should then have the date below the previous date and so on. When you can no longer see the programme it means it has been shown too many times. How ever funny and loveable Dads Army is my system would have closed it down by about 1992.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Tony

SNAP

"Sir Herbert Gussett  of Lymeswold writes:

Good lord, what a bounder the Yanks voted in!

At least William in the last century managed to balance the budget, lose the national deficit and managed to stay quiet (until found out) about the insertion of a cigar into an orifice  of a young “intern” whilst actually, physically, in the Oval office,

Of course his beautiful and fragrant wife, er, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz”

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having seen the prices I'll look in the poundshops or maybe just bring my camera to Warley.!!!!!

Jamie

PS I've room for a Midland tank and water crane in the garden in France but I'm not sure my marriage would survive.

Jamie

You might need to use extensive photo shopping to hid all my nips and tucks!

Of course your marriage would have survived! If you had been more forward thinking, the Midland tank and water crane  would have done double duty as the swimming pool  which you had to have installed in the grounds of your chateau this last summer.  the water crane would have doubled up as a shower.  It's a win win situation.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I can see it now a grand designs special, the rooms below the  water tank converted in to a house,  a platform built around  the top of the tank, knowing the program the platform and its safety wall all in glass. and then a big slide down to under the water crane for a shower after...

• Like 10