The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I had a note through the door saying that our waste collection is going to change in the new year. More confusion as they seem to change it every couple of years. Several years ago we received green wheelie bins strictly for garden waste, a few years later food waste was also added to the things to go into said bins. The latest idea is for those bins to revert to garden waste only and a separate bin for food waste. At least we'll be getting a proper bin for general waste instead of the black plastic bags so beloved of the local fox population. Tram and trolleybus routes remained fixed for obvious reasons but once they were replaced by buses it was a different matter. London route 193 is a case in point. It started out as the 693 trolleybus route from Barking via Ilford and Seven Kings to Chadwell Heath and when the trolleybuses were withdrawn in 1959 it became the 193. It was first extended from Chadwell Heath to Romford and lost the Seven Kings to Barking section. Then it was extended into Hornchurch and cut back from Seven Kings and diverted at that end to Chase Cross. So it ended up serving roads that were never served by tram or trolleybus. Although there were proposals to extend the trams from Chadwell Heath through Romford to Gidea Park that never came to fruition. Incidently if your visiting the Romford show Saturday week the 193 passes the door.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As the outside of the car is clean I better do the inside. This involves the use of an electrical cleaning device connected to the mains.

Oh dear.....

with or without water?

2 years ago our bin was full every week and there are only 2 of us. Now we recycle all we are told to incase the bin inspectors prosecute us or worse. Cardboard, glass, tin, cooked food, raw food etc etc is now missing from our bin and to be honest, once a month would still find the bin part empty.

I never expected to be saying that and the council hasn't paid me.

Presumably there hasn't been a reduction in your annual council tax bill to reflect the reduction / elimination of refuse collection services.....?

.....our waste collection is going to change in the new year. More confusion as they seem to change it every couple of years. Several years ago we received green wheelie bins strictly for garden waste, a few years later food waste was also added to the things to go into said bins. The latest idea is for those bins to revert to garden waste only and a separate bin for food waste....

This probably means they've got a new manager.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Dustbins - simples, or rather it ought to be as we have a regular Wednesday collection but it is put back one day if a Bank Holiday falls on the Monday.  We get a flyer from the council every now and then telling us about any changes and reminding us of the Bank Holiday changes and the information is actually quite accessible (amazingly) on the council's website) - so why do some silly b*ggers still put their bins out on the wrong day.  And why do some people put the black one out on the week the green and brown ones are emptied and vice versa?

Back in the days of Thames Valley Traction we had two 'bus routes - No.8 and No.28 and these numbers survived into Alder Valley days but are long vanished in the privatisation era being replaced by the 800 (a sort of No.8 equivalent) and the 850 (very vaguely a sort of No.28 equivalent) there was also a coach route to London but that has long gone .  We have recently acquired a new route, the X1, basically competing with the 800 but missing out some villages to cut the journey time.  It is operated by a bunch of fly-by-nights called the Carousel Group whose main expertise seems to be opening routes to great fanfares and then closing them 18 months later if they don't pay or haven't attracted any subsidy or other council support - all rather 1920s and fortunately from what I've seen they don't seem to be loading very well although of that might be down to their using vehicles branded for another route when the regular pair are broken.  But the competition has caused Arriva to put better vehicles on the 800 and 850 - none of which worries me in the least as I either use the train or go by car.

Back to earth, Halloween decorations to return to the attic and RMweb to study.

Have a  good day folks and take care with the electrickery Bob.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

As the outside of the car is clean I better do the inside. This involves the use of an electrical cleaning device connected to the mains.

Oh dear.....

with or without water?

GDB didn't say which mains it would be attached too.

• RMweb Premium

Phew. Dentist decided to complete an easier fix after the strain last week's session had caused me. That which I had expected will, of course, need to be done eventually in any case, but still, good thinking to account for such things as long as there is no urgency involved with any particular treatment.

Was just thinking whether we should play this over the PA at Central Station at peak time. Might encourage passengers to expedite boarding! :jester:

Edited by NGT6 1315
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Such a different day from yesterday when we had lunch beside the Orwell River at Pin Mill. The sun was out, the tide was in, the boat yard was busy, etc. Quite idyllic. 

Now finished the hoovering for Madam, now I can go to the den at the end of the garden as I have earned some points.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Here's an odd ball question, this is causing much debate on another forum I inhabit.

Did you have halloween parties/ functions or anything to do with it while you were at school?

Well I started school in 1962 and none of the 2 primary and 3 secondary schools I attended even mentioned it.

Over to you Please

• Like 1

For those that would like to trace the changes in London Bus routes, London Buses .co. uk has all the historical gen.

Warning - It wanted me to add some kind of download - a Microsoft windows media player -  which I turned down and it still works fine. I found the site a few years ago when I read that the 21 bus route used to be the longest route in London and ran from somewhere like Barnet to Sidcup via Moorgate. The route was divided up a long time ago and it no longer comes out that far; but Sidcup does get the 321 service which a few year ago sounded like a shopping service as it ran from New Cross Sainsbury's to Foot's Cray Tesco

err what time period were you at school ?

From 1975 (the earliest I can remember) until 1990 when I finished "A" levels.

1981 - 1990 was in a private school which didn't believe in wasting time on things like Hallowe'en. In fact, none of the religious festivals were marked apart from Jewish holidays (when attendance fell noticeably) and Christmas / Hanukkah. Even Easter didn't get a look in.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 8

Thanks, for you reply, That makes me feel old you started when I was already working...

When I turned 45 last Wednesday, I did wonder whether I was now entitled to have a midlife crisis......*starts looking at classic car adverts*

....bonk holiday! ..... I promise to try harder. ....

There's got to be a double entendre in this somewhere.  :jester:

Edited by Horsetan