The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

On the BBC news this morning, along the bottom on the "tickertape" reader, it said, "Model trains are becoming more expensive due to the fall in the pound"

Normally a cryptic statement like this, is a sort of "invite" to read the rest of the story online, however so far I haven't found it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37755137

• RMweb Premium

On the BBC news this morning, along the bottom on the "tickertape" reader, it said, "Model trains are becoming more expensive due to the fall in the pound"

Normally a cryptic statement like this, is a sort of "invite" to read the rest of the story online, however so far I haven't found it.

It's here  now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37755137

Jamie

Darn, John beat me to it by seconds.   Anyway good morning all from a rather foggy and  definitely autumnal village.   Quite a bit was achieved yesterday and the brownie points appeared to last a couple of hours as I was brought a piece of caramel shortbread from the local café.  It went down well with a cup of coffee.  then a very priductve evening at the clubrooms rounded off a good day.  

Morning orders are currently being issued and the list is quite short.  However the ironing basket is nearly subsiding from excess weight so I think that's my next task.  Then a quick trip to Bradford for some plywood and to deliver some stuff to a charity.  Hopefully this afternoon I may even attempt to discover a floor in the modelling room.  If I don't reappear please call for the cave rescue services as there is some distance to dig down.

I've only ever flown in a helicopter once, the police one whilst I was on a course and we spent an evening at the base.  For some obscure reason the flight path just happened to come over my house so I have some aerial photos.  The flight was fun though.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Measuring current shunts today, 100ma to 100A to an accuracy of 0.1 part in a million, what joy....

The reference to box shifters reminded me of Undertakers!

Love the way they refer to 'British' model train manufacturers - how can they be British if they are manufactured abroad ?

Blurring the lines, somewhat !!

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Bright but chilly this morning, and as she went out to work, 30747 decided that the heating had been on for too long, and duly switched it off.  It's back on now, though, as the outdoor thermometer is showing just under zero when I took the washing out to the tumble dryer.

Andy, good to have you back among our number, and I hope that the trials that you are facing are of a temporary nature.  My dad was a teacher (music) and he believed back in the 1980s that the job was no longer what he wanted to continue with, and opted for early retirement, but he passed away before it could happen.  I know from a friend that the teaching profession has become an extremely stressful one, and I really feel for you.

Generic greetings to everybody else.

Washing, bank, shopping, walkies, taxi.  Not necessarily in that order.

Back later

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

The only helicopter trip that I recall is over Manhattan and around the World Trade Center Buildings.

Been in a seaplane from Victoria Harbour to Seattle

Smallest plane was one from Skagway to Juneau  - 8 seater plus cockpit seats but there were 9 passengers. One of the Platters had to sit in the co pilot seat.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I see that the membership count has now exceeded 30,000 - who'da thought it when Andy started it all off and we early membere were amazed when it reached 1,000.

It would be interested to know how many of the members have posted in say the last year..

• RMweb Premium

Not me I  use forums at work, while waiting for things like current shunts to settle, 10minutes to go on the "current" one.

I don't think I'd get away with building kits....

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone ever given up modelling forums in order to spend more time with the kits?

The only forum that I use on a regular basis is this one. There are other forums thta I visit infrequently.

I can look at this on my own laptop at work and I often have the forum up on a computer / tablet when modelling.

I know quite a few people that are members but very rarely look at the forum if at all these days and others that have had problems signing in.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Only if you import the stuff, plenty of scrap metal and plastic at our recycle centre.

In that case my latest 0 gauge creation can be made from tin cans lids, spongy plastic from milk containers and the obligatory cardboard centre from a bog roll!

Probably a vast improvement over my current batch of railway modelling!

Reading of Andyram's problems reminds me of a conversation I had with my GP son in law over dehydration and it's effects.

Within the quite in depth discussion came the fact that caffeinated coffee can have a nasty habit of irritating the bladder, so dehydrating, picking up an infection of the bladder and then consuming coffee will worsen the problem.

From my experience of listening to the teachers in my family, I know that the job is a lot harder than some folk perceive.  Only today in the Daily Wail, they are reporting  of those who started teaching in 2010, 7200 (a third) are no longer in the profession.

Morning everyone from the boring borough. All is quiet. My work for the week is done, yet I must look busy today and tomorrow. Last minute bodging with the module and getting the rest of things packed ready for Friday morning's schlep up the M1. I will be carrying survival rations just in case.

Little else to report. Enjoy your day.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Another sunny start to the day, it seemed quite chilly when Mrs W set of for her annual diabetic review, she's in a bit of a fluster about it but I'm sure it will go well, it usually does, when she was diagnosed 16 years ago the nurse told her in no uncertain terms what the worst case scenario was, it scared the hell out of her.

Nothing much else is planned for today, maybe a spot of reading.

Back later.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Dry but a bit cool here at the moment, just as well as I have to toddle off to town to collect a parcel from the sorting office. Not much else to report so bye for now, be back later.

• Like 11

I see that the membership count has now exceeded 30,000 - who'da thought it when Andy started it all off and we early membere were amazed when it reached 1,000.

We had a competition for guessing the date and time of our 1000th member. Won by MooUK IIRC, another old name that I have not seen for a while. 

Stay safe all.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I see Horsetan is off to Park Royal (assuming the studios are where they once were) which strikes me as a definite case of exploratory exploration and a probable need for an armed guard although it is daylight so might be a good deal safer than the area used to be after nightfall.

In the meanwhile I expect my exploration today to be confined to Tesco's shelves as it is too wet for the G word (but then the dining room has yet to be mentioned so that horror could be unleashed - some of it being easy but the quantity of books needing to go onto shelves will be something of a challenge).

Have a good day everybody

• Like 14

.....I see Horsetan is off to Park Royal (assuming the studios are where they once were) which strikes me as a definite case of exploratory exploration and a probable need for an armed guard although it is daylight so might be a good deal safer than the area used to be after nightfall......

Ealing Studios is definitely here in Ealing. I'm sitting in the reception area.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 5