The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The combined thickness of the timetable books is five and a half inches.  I thank you for your interest but would prefer a realistic suggestion.

Chris

Horsetan: With all due respect, you do not appear to understand the overall issue!

I suspect, Horestan, that you may have a problem.

Firstly, your response does not reflect the conversation.

Secondly, in the circumstances, it is irrelevant!

The answer is simple: use someone else's printer.  :jester:

Krass stupidity!

• RMweb Gold

Horsetan: With all due respect, you do not appear to understand the overall issue!

The answer is simple: use someone else's printer.  :jester:

The regret is that there is no 'derogatory' button on this forum.

This response demands one!

I am sure there is great pleasure to be had from reading timetables, using them to plan and rescue journeys if not whole travel holidays and perhaps reminisce over them at a later date.

I use ordnance survey maps and often read them dreamily on winter evenings.

Like the timetables I would be devastated if the printed version of maps disappeared altogether.

ERs is a great place for supportive posts but also posts not meant to be derogatory, just part of the light banter that takes place on ERs. Both are supportive in their own way.

• Like 2

I am sure there is great pleasure to be had from reading timetables, using them to plan and rescue journeys if not whole travel holidays and perhaps reminisce over them at a later date.

I use ordnance survey maps and often read them dreamily on winter evenings.

Like the timetables I would be devastated if the printed version of maps disappeared altogether.

ERs is a great place for supportive posts but also posts not meant to be derogatory, just part of the light banter that takes place on ERs. Both are supportive in their own way.

I don't disagree and respect that no two of us out there are similar!

However, the OS maps do have a certain fascination.

To some, the facility of riffling through a printed timetable book has become a way of life and will, therefore, be difficult to update.

• Like 1

If Chris downloads the pdf's to his tablet, he can browse them at leisure and copy the relevant parts to a new document and... :O

Oh wait.... :sorry:

:punish:

:sorry:

:jester:

:punish:

:sorry:

ChrisF (for his defence) does not have the means to do this.

I may, on his behalf, consider this post derogatory and report it!

• RMweb Premium

If you don't have a printed copy to riffle then Horsetan's proposal to print it out is a potential solution. A bit like having to print out documents regarding items of DCC equipment, phones, cars and of course printers.

Sleep well most, hope you have a good Sunday Rick!

Baz

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I've been on quite a few Swiss trains - and a number of them were late.  The interest in reading a timetable is of course both considerable and highly satisfying (writing one can be more satisfying, and rewriting one is even more satisfying) however on my visits to Switzerland  have either planned my programme in advance (as on my last visit) or have simply taken advantage of what I know are workable connections everywhere and simply sallied forth bearing in mind only the need to return to the hotel for dinner in the evening by a certain time.  But I must admit that I got it wrong on one occasion in respect of the latter and my only defence is that the hotel was in Italy and therefore to a slightly different standard of civilisation in respect of evening meal times, but they did knock up something specially for me in any case - which was very civilised and proper Italian food as it wasn't the hotel chef who cooked it.

Now just to give that nice young Mr Abel something to think about - I've been on a Comet, twice, and you may go suitably green with envy as it was a lovely aircraft to fly in (operated by DanAir).  However promoting far less envy is likely to be my sole flight in a Tu134 which clearly showed its light bomber heritage in performance terms and is the only aircraft in which I have ever flown which flew over a runway at right angles to it and at, probably, no more than a couple of thousand feet altitude and simply turned - banking rather steeply - to land on said runway (and that was in a  type of aircraft with a reputation for performing ground loops - hairy doesn't describe it).  I've also flown in an IL18 which made what was probably the smoothest ever landing I have ever had on any sort of aircraft but was rather more worrying in both flight and descent, the latter being caused by something outside the aircraft noisily flapping in the slipstream - sounded just like a banging door on an outside toilet (maybe it was?).

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Up at 6:50 to get dressed and off to walk to hospital. I left at 7:00, it was quite cold but very quiet and I arrived on the ward about 7:15. Sat around then until 11:30 before heading off to the operating theatre, finally went in about 11:45. Then back on the ward at 1:30 where I was given tea and toast, I was famished as I had not eaten since 5:30 yesterday evening. I was finally discharged around 3:45 and picked up by No 1 son and Mrs W. My hand is heavily bandaged, this will be removed on Thursday, but will be replaced with a smaller dressing and a splint, which has to be worn every night for six months.

Before!

post-27337-0-64208000-1477174704_thumb.jpeg

After!

post-27337-0-81464000-1477174736_thumb.jpeg

As I've got to keep this dressing clean, it's going to make bathing or showering interesting.

We've had a relaxing evening, but I've not had any alcohol, just in case, mind you I might well make up for tonight's abstention tomorrow.

Rather tired so it's off to bed, goodnight all.

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all

After the dreary nature of Friday, Saturday was not bad. The skool reunion was a success. Part one was a tour of the skool, with the current head. What an inspiring man! Enormous changes, as you might expect in 50 years - but with an eye to the heritage where it doesn't inhibit progress. And an enlightened attitude to learning, eschewing league-tables in favour of maximising opportunities for all abilities.

The vineyard lunch was well-attended, and I would have enjoyed it even more if I had felt better, so we left a little early, to get some shuteye. Dinner at 5 back in Dorking had me firing on all cylinders again. We enjoyed some great banter witht the lawyer husband of a girl I dated on two occasions - tempered with the knowledge that Sue, who still looks pretty tasty, has dementia. At 66.

I hope your weekend has gone as well as ours - so far!

Edited by Oldddudders

Evening all.

Not popped on for a while due to life etc.

My back at least has recovered to its normal levels of pain from the inability to move at all constantly levels.

Talk of flights reminds me of the time I got a flight in a raf hs125, from raf Northolt (was in at at the time). This was back when they were allowed to take cadets up for more than just experience flights (a wessex crash in Wales iirc put a stop to all but the air experience in chipmunk or bulldogs). Anyway, the flight was fairly uneventful until they decided to try using the harrier jump ramps for touch and goes with sharp banking after.

That same week some idiot cadet (not me!) decided to annoy the firefighters on the base, with cadet accommodation opposite where the Andovers of 32 sqn were stored over night. Result? An emergency fire drill on one of the Andovers at 5am, for 4 nights...

Previous comments about printing the SBB timetable indicate that the respondents know not of which they talk.

The SBB timetable comprised three books in A5 format, each 2 inches thick. How many domestic printers could cope with that? Mine wouldn't

I've been on quite a few Swiss trains - and a number of them were late.  The interest in reading a timetable is of course both considerable and highly satisfying (writing one can be more satisfying, and rewriting one is even more satisfying) however on my visits to Switzerland  have either planned my programme in advance (as on my last visit) or have simply taken advantage of what I know are workable connections everywhere and simply sallied forth bearing in mind only the need to return to the hotel for dinner in the evening by a certain time.  ....

I've never experienced any lateness by SBB or SZU or RhB/BöB/WAB. Mind you, I had all the time in the world, and my friends' flat in Zürich to myself for a week or two (with the express instruction to consume as much of the food as possible so that there would be little to go bad whilst they were away on their honeymoon). Money saved on accommodation and food could consequently be spent enjoying the Swiss rail network. Just as well, since going up the Jungfrau was bloody expensive.

• Like 9

Back in 82 I travelled around Switzerland using my priv passes using a Thomas Cook timetable which was sufficient for what I needed. That was pretty big at the time.

I once had a roll with a Swiss.

Oops, wrong forum...............

Cheers,

Mick

give yersel a EA Mick