The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

On the 4th of October we mailed two not insubstantial checks in separate pre-addressed envelopes to the US Social Security Administration. Neither check has been tendered to our bank.

I'm wondering if I should stop them but I suspect all hell will break loose if I do. Yikes!

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all, 
From the layout room I returned have and my back aching badly is. Stretched over the layout been I have and track much painted is.

Finished not though so stopped I have for pints of Pride of London and killers of pain.

Feel better soon I will.  :yes:  :drinks:

Edited by grandadbob

We didn't notice much difference when we moved to the US. Halloween was always a big event in Scotland (and Ireland too I believe). In Scotland we had to carve big rutabagas (turnips) rather than pumpkins to make our lanterns. It's a case of a Celtic tradition that was exported to the US then re-imported to England. Christmas trees have a similar history.

I live in the middle of an Orthodox Jewish neighbourhood. Trick-or-treaters never dare to knock on doors here since they're scared of accountants, bankers and lawyers.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all

Not been on RMweb much for a day or two, just nipped in and out here and there. So I am entirely iggerant about goings-on, sorry.

Sherry and I are staying overnight just outside Derby, where Adrian's funeral is at 09.20 tomorrow, a couple of minutes down the road from the hotel. We then, after the wake, head for Dorking, where we should have been tonight, as part of a skool reunion weekend. Sherry is already tired from driving here - I am not insured to drive her car, and they want silly money to add me, due to my not being 'known' in Britain. A clean UK licence makes no difference, apparently.

Hopefully I will be back in circulation early next week.

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all

Not been on RMweb much for a day or two, just nipped in and out here and there. So I am entirely iggerant about goings-on, sorry.

Sherry and I are staying overnight just outside Derby, where Adrian's funeral is at 09.20 tomorrow, a couple of minutes down the road from the hotel. We then, after the wake, head for Dorking, where we should have been tonight, as part of a skool reunion weekend. Sherry is already tired from driving here - I am not insured to drive her car, and they want silly money to add me, due to my not being 'known' in Britain. A clean UK licence makes no difference, apparently.

Hopefully I will be back in circulation early next week.

Dont forget that the M25 orbital car park is full Fridays from about 11am.

• RMweb Premium

Just walked past the kings Arms (if thats the one Baz was going to) and a group of people in there but couldnt make out if Baz was one of them from his avatar, on my way back from Sainsburys to the office.

I went to the Bovington museum when I was very young so dont remember much about it. My father was in the army working on tanks when he was conscripted many years ago and just left when the Suez crisis kicked off.

Half way through the day. Awaiting an Amazon package so hopefully it will arrive before I leave to do battle with strike day 3. drivers to be ballotted in the next few weeks so we may well have further problems leading up to xmas.

Yes I was there,Harvey's, Truman's and Tim Taylor landlord excellent..you should of come in... We don't bite... Much! Edited by Barry O
  • Like 10

Evenin' all,

From the layout room I returned have and my back aching badly is. Stretched over the layout been I have and track much painted is.

Finished not though so stopped I have for pints of Pride of London and killers of pain.

Feel better soon I will. :yes: :drinks:

Strong with this one, the Force it is.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The "Tommy Wass" there's a blast from the past. I was in said pub 20th. August 1968 when I got the news I was a father to Heidi Christina Wass.

I'm a dead man for publishing this photo, but do I care?

attachicon.gifCopy of Oct01.JPG

She's happily married now and a mother of two.

She is far more too pretty to be your offspring judge. Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Premium

We've really noticed that Halloween has grown in the UK over the past 13 years. Its still a long way behind Canada and the US for going overboard but its coming along. Both of us enjoy it more than bonfire night. (which has become an excuse for brain dead chavs to set off fireworks for a fortnight. We have our few decorations up, don't expect any children though. SWMBO picked up a lovely skull candle the other day. The wick was untrimmed and hangs off to the one side. Reminded me of Gregor Fisher. Sort of miss the hordes of children that we used to get at the door. Our last one in Canada saw just under 100 kids in 3 hours at the door. Which reminds me, time to order some candy corn from the US import shop. mmmmm. sugar rush mmmmm.

On the 31st we will sit down to an evening of Beetlejuice and the Great Pumpkin.

Just realised that it is 13 (lucky) years this week since I darkened these shores. buhahahahaha

Yes no more"jack shine the Maggie" ie turnip lanterns at all saints day eve

• RMweb Premium

Today has been a great day apart from having to buy a new shirt ( my mate poured a pint over the other one and he is decommissioning Sellafield) and nearly missing my train (a postget together drink in Camden (Prince of Wales) to discuss demos at Warley went a bit awray)

A cup of free coffee has now been drunk and some free smoked salmon sandwiches been eaten...I could be tempted back into management by this first-class lark...pass me that Shiraz...hic!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Yes I was there,Harvey's, Truman's and Tim Taylor landlord excellent..you should of come in... We don't bite... Much!

I was very tempted but as both directors where in and one in not a good mood I took the wise decision to go back to the office.

The fee was probably not a DVLA fee but their own (optional) fee for checking over your form or filling it in for you. They offered to check our passport renewal applications when we put it through them. We decided to take up the option thinking better for them to find any errors there and then rather than having the form returned from the passport office.

Only when we looked at the small print on the receipt did we notice that they said that they wouldn't be responsible for any errors if the form was returned. No need to ask why I needed to check it.

The post office website clearly says that the £17 fee is charged by the DVLA, which appears to be a downright fib. If the post office wants to charge £17 administration fee they should come out and say so and not hide behind "It's not us it's the DVLA". To clarify my earlier post I need a photo because I do not have a passport, one may assume that if you are a current passport holder they use the photo you supplied for the passport. Check here for "How much it costs"

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/uk-driving-licence-photocard-renewal

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. One of my neighbours for halloween has been driving around with a lifesize skeleton in the passenger seat of his van, I just told him its about time he got the faulty lock on the vans passenger door fixed.  :jester:  Shopping today in Tescos I noticed that the C******** tat much needed gifts were very much in evidence. Thats it for now, be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Gold

The post office website clearly says that the £17 fee is charged by the DVLA, which appears to be a downright fib. If the post office wants to charge £17 administration fee they should come out and say so and not hide behind "It's not us it's the DVLA". To clarify my earlier post I need a photo because I do not have a passport, one may assume that if you are a current passport holder they use the photo you supplied for the passport. Check here for "How much it costs"

According to the DVLA website the charges are £14 online and £17 by post but free after the age of 70.

• RMweb Gold

That is for the routine 10 year photo renewal. The renewal for the over 70 age is free.

plenty of time for me on the journey home to look at various threads

I see that you waded in on that track thread to talk turds!!

Indeed, and I've decided I should take an entirely new stance on this whole "track" situation.

In my opinion (note emphasis, please!!) no track shall from this day forth be declared REALISTIC, unless they include and accurately model the turds and bog paper visible on the up and down fast lines at Weybridge station in the 50's era. :jester:  :O anything LESS is simply NOT a true representation...

May the farce be with you.

I think you'll find it already is - refer to either the "PECO track..." or "Hornby B12..." threads for two complete scripts and cast lists... :banghead:  :rtfm:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, and I've decided I should take an entirely new stance on this whole "track" situation.

In my opinion (note emphasis, please!!) no track shall from this day forth be declared REALISTIC, unless they include and accurately model the turds and bog paper visible on the up and down fast lines at Weybridge station in the 50's era. :jester: :O anything LESS is simply NOT a true representation...

I think you'll find it already is - refer to either the "PECO track..." or "Hornby B12..." threads for two complete scripts and cast lists... :banghead: :rtfm:

I demand exact scale track to 16.5 mm standards, no , not yesterday, not just today and I demand the B12 wheels to run it must be the exact. shape and size. S&d the loco shape....or else!

(Look for billy connoly on management demands on you tube...:-)

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2

I demand exact scale track to 16.5 mm standards, no , not yesterday, not just today and I demand the B12 wheels to run it must be the exact. shape and size. S&d the loco shape....or else!

I have little doubt that Richard J of DCC Concepts will be monitoring that thread and, at an appropriate juncture, extolling the virtues of his 'Legacy' track! (Even the grain pattern on each sleepers differs!)

Spent a quiet evening thumbing through RMF magazine and find that RailExpo has moved venue again! I've only just become accustomed to getting to Pontoise! It's now in Chartres! Won't be going this year!

No progress on the test layout, although the scenery is nearly complete. (One more section of gravel mat to paste.

post-6741-0-34291800-1476995935_thumb.jpg

Just need to sort out a backscene; thinking the cheapest screen I can get with HDMI!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 9