The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Does anyone know of any sports-type bottle holders big enough to hold a bottle of wine or a 70cl bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin? The plan is to attach it to a saddle or neckstrap when riding out on Sunday.....

You could maybe adapt one of these to suit:-

post-4474-0-49703400-1476965813.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
jamie92208, on 20 Oct 2016 - 11:56, said:

. . . . . . his parent regiment was the 17th/21st Lancers.

I was in the CCF (Combined Cadet Force) at Kings School Grantham in the late 60s/early 70s and we were affiliated to the 17th/21st Lancers who were a local regiment and I think their museum was at Belvoir Castle.

Known as the Death or Glory Boys, a look at the cap badge shows why. This originated from the 17th who took part in the Charge of the Light Brigade. These badges were highly sought after when we were at camp and you got a severe telling off and extra duties if you sold your badge . . . . . .!!

Museum now at Thoresby Hall http://www.qrlnymuseum.co.uk/1721l.htm   Wiki History   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17th/21st_Lancers

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Has Mrs SM just had a promotion?

As to refilling a back pack. When Beth was in hospital long term at one point she like me to take in Apple juice for her. One day I forgot to get any at our normal shop and stopped at a convenience store that sold the stuff in clear glass bottles. The colour looked like another drink that Beth liked and it held 70cl. I then used to refill the bottle with white wine whenever it was empty. This was fine until one night the nurse offered to pour some juice to help her take her tablets. It cost Beth a glass later that night.

Jamie

No promotion for Mrs SM - it's just that the former Home Secretary, now PM, happens to shop in our branch of Waitrose and indeed was reportedly observed there a few weeks ago (no doubt with a  posse of 'security' blocking the aisles) but - as I previously pointed out - it seems that she doesn't visit the local branch of Tesco despite having to drive past it in order to reach Waitrose (unless she is following a security planned 'evasive' route of incredible compexity and craftiness).  However as one of her favourite shoe shops also lurks in the town it might well be that her Waitrose visits are simply an excuse to go shoe shopping (how odd, a woman who needs an excuse to go shoe shopping - can't be right).

Mrs Stationmaster has just reported in from Waitrose and no sighting of PM noted.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 15

BIN day..whoops, there's no-one home to put the BINs out! Oh well, more for next week ;)

Yesterday, following the large discussion on stupid accountancy, a beautiful day outside, and the ladies (Jemma and the Mrs) here for the day, those factors conspired to have me decide "SOD IT", left at noon and we spent the afternoon exploring Long Island.

They wanted to go to the beach, something to do with posting a picture for friends of their "heading east across the pond", so we did that. Ventured to Jones Beach here, which, given the time of year should have been deserted. Due to the unseasonably excellent weather, the entire wrinkly population of the New York area appeared to have decided it was a day at the beach...

I present to you, Jemma and the Mrs "...heading across the pond..."

post-20244-0-32759600-1476966147_thumb.jpg

Took them to JFK, and then as the departures were to the north (rwy 04L for those with aviation interest), which means the eastbound flights literally cross right over my hotel, I watched out the window as they departed and snagged this image. The "blue dot" is the hotel position, only plane on the map as it crossed over, then I captured the image, hence they were then rather further east already - at least I liked seeing them up there :)

post-20244-0-64530800-1476966670_thumb.jpg

Today I have the first of two presentations to Director level folks (80 expected this round, we'll see who bothers to really show up) to explain the dashboards/reports they are supposed to be using - they're 4 months late scheduling this but I guess at least I should be grateful they decided to bother at all!! Let's see if the IT department and mess it up again with the projector :jester:

17 and cloudy this morning, only expecting 21 for a high, possible rain later.

Hope your BINs are serviced as required.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

With my 70th birthday next month I have to renew my old paper driving licence with a new photo ID card so went into town yesterday to have my picture taken. I couldn't remember where there was a photo booth so I called in at Max Spielman's to check their photo service. Cost was £9.99 for six photos; I pointed out that I only wanted one but that is not an option. I said I would think about it and headed to the main post office in town where I had been told there was a booth. When I was inside it looking for the instructions a PO employee told me it was not yet working following their recent move, so I asked him the cost anyway, £21.50. This turned out to be £4.50 for the photo plus £17 DVLA fee, for this the picture is taken and the form is completed and sent off to the DVLA. I was uneasy about this because the DVLA form that I have states that there is no fee for changing licences. I opted to go back to Max Spielman's and got six photos plus a hard copy. I will send the forms off later today. 

Has anyone else replaced or renewed their driving licence and paid £17.00 to the DVLA for doing so? 

As a side, for anyone looking for the main Post Office in Lancaster it has closed on Fenton Street and moved to upstairs in WHS. Stay safe all.

The paper counterpart Driving Licence was abolished in 2015 so you now only need/get the plastic version which carries your picture and is the sole document you need - you won't get a photo ID card as such but just the new Driving Licence.

This link explains the procedure for renewal - it is free of charge

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/travel-lifestyle/people/driving/renewing-your-licence-online/

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

We are looking for something that will hold a 70/75cl bottle and can be attached either to the saddle D-rings, or the horse's neckstrap. This will help our Sunday alcohacks so we can still have a bit of a drink in between stopping off at pubs.

A Google image search came up with some, like this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/156915664/handmade-custom-designed-leather-wine?ref=related-7

If you're having gin, you might need a second one for the tonic.

Pete

• Like 4

....the former Home Secretary, now PM, happens to shop in our branch of Waitrose and indeed was reportedly observed there a few weeks ago (no doubt with a  posse of 'security' blocking the aisles) but - as I previously pointed out - it seems that she doesn't visit the local branch of Tesco despite having to drive past it in order to reach Waitrose (unless she is following a security planned 'evasive' route of incredible complexity and craftiness).  However as one of her favourite shoe shops also lurks in the town it might well be that her Waitrose visits are simply an excuse to go shoe shopping (how odd, a woman who needs an excuse to go shoe shopping - can't be right).....

I'm waiting for Private Eye magazine to start a "St. Theresa of Costcutter" parish newsletter column.

A Google image search came up with some, like this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/156915664/handmade-custom-designed-leather-wine?ref=related-7

If you're having gin, you might need a second one for the tonic.

That's the general idea, though the one you've found is designed for a Western saddle. I think I might have found some suitable neoprene ones which could be attached to an English GP or a racing exercise saddle.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

With my 70th birthday next month I have to renew my old paper driving licence with a new photo ID card so went into town yesterday to have my picture taken. I couldn't remember where there was a photo booth so I called in at Max Spielman's to check their photo service. Cost was £9.99 for six photos; I pointed out that I only wanted one but that is not an option. I said I would think about it and headed to the main post office in town where I had been told there was a booth. When I was inside it looking for the instructions a PO employee told me it was not yet working following their recent move, so I asked him the cost anyway, £21.50. This turned out to be £4.50 for the photo plus £17 DVLA fee, for this the picture is taken and the form is completed and sent off to the DVLA. I was uneasy about this because the DVLA form that I have states that there is no fee for changing licences. I opted to go back to Max Spielman's and got six photos plus a hard copy. I will send the forms off later today. 

Has anyone else replaced or renewed their driving licence and paid £17.00 to the DVLA for doing so? 

As a side, for anyone looking for the main Post Office in Lancaster it has closed on Fenton Street and moved to upstairs in WHS. Stay safe all.

I renewed my licence last year in time for my 70th birthday but did not have to supply any picture, Did the application online and quoted my passport number so they could poach the picture provided for the passport application and stick it on my new driving licence. Total cost? Nothing.

Keith

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I mentioned recently that having my blood pressure taken by medical professionals results in ridiculously high readings. I have realised that the one other thing that has the same result is dealing with the newsagent. Today requires a trip to pay the bill and cancel newspapers. Fortunately Aditi has volunteered.

Then when she returns I can get on with the errands that need running.

There is no logical reason for why the newsagent irritates me. After years of teaching children and adults I should be immune to incomprehension. One of my neighbours said the newsagent discusses articles in the Economist with him so it must be me!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With you staying in the closet Richard it does leave you rather open to blackmail. Hmmmmmm....

Jamie

Ah yes, Blackmail Models!

Don't they do a natty line in Midland Railway locomotives and rolling stock that were used on the  pre 1923 Hereford-Brecon service?  

• RMweb Gold

I mentioned recently that having my blood pressure taken by medical professionals results in ridiculously high readings. I have realised that the one other thing that has the same result is dealing with the newsagent. Today requires a trip to pay the bill and cancel newspapers. Fortunately Aditi has volunteered.

There is no logical reason for why the newsagent irritates me. After years of teaching children and adults I should be immune to incomprehension. One of my neighbours said the newsagent discusses articles in the Economist with him so it must be me!

Perhaps he thinks you are merely a menial servant in the employ of Aditi?

• RMweb Gold

The fee was probably not a DVLA fee but their own (optional) fee for checking over your form or filling it in for you. They offered to check our passport renewal applications when we put it through them. We decided to take up the option thinking better for them to find any errors there and then rather than having the form returned from the passport office.

Only when we looked at the small print on the receipt did we notice that they said that they wouldn't be responsible for any errors if the form was returned. No need to ask why I needed to check it.

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Gold

Now that I am moving up to 7 mm scale, my luck has obviously changed for the better.

The Dragon Models 15 ton Cambrian Railways brake van arrived this morning as a signed for package.

The Obergrumpenfuhrer was out!

I still haven't plucked up the courage to 'come out' to her just yet.

Perhaps when a lot more of the 4 mm fleet has been disposed of?

Fortuna audaces iuvat

I wish your font size had moved up to 7mm with you.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps he thinks you are merely a menial servant in the employ of Aditi?

There have been situations over the past 40 years accompanying my wife where the only other people of my ethnicity present have been bar staff.

I did once hear a story of someone parking a Centurion outside the Tommy Wass after some sort of event in Leeds and the commander taking the crew in for a drink. Apparently it caused quite a stir.

Jamie

The "Tommy Wass" there's a blast from the past. I was in said pub 20th. August 1968 when I got the news I was a father to Heidi Christina Wass.

I'm a dead man for publishing this photo, but do I care?

post-276-0-30127900-1476972899.jpg

She's happily married now and a mother of two.

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry Tony - it's the newsagent.  They seem to be bred in that fashion although one can occasionally find an exception

• Like 8

Before Christmas we have to get through the over hyped commercial opportunity that is Halloween. This is the one event of the year that I cannot do with. And Grandfathers Day. And Grandmothers Day.

But Mothers Day is not original. Mothering Sunday was the day churchgoers went to the mother church of the parish.

Visiting Waitrose today revealed just how big Halloween is getting. Almost an aisle of stuff to buy.

But Mothers Day is not original. Mothering Sunday was the day churchgoers went to the mother church of the parish.

Visiting Waitrose today revealed just how big Halloween is getting. Almost an aisle of stuff to buy.

We've really noticed that Halloween has grown in the UK over the past 13 years. Its still a long way behind Canada and the US for going overboard but its coming along. Both of us enjoy it more than bonfire night. (which has become an excuse for brain dead chavs to set off fireworks for a fortnight. We have our few decorations up, don't expect any children though. SWMBO picked up a lovely skull candle the other day. The wick was untrimmed and hangs off to the one side. Reminded me of Gregor Fisher. Sort of miss the hordes of children that we used to get at the door. Our last one in Canada saw just under 100 kids in 3 hours at the door. Which reminds me, time to order some candy corn from the US import shop. mmmmm. sugar rush mmmmm.

On the 31st we will sit down to an evening of Beetlejuice and the Great Pumpkin.

Just realised that it is 13 (lucky) years this week since I darkened these shores. buhahahahaha

• Like 12

Ahhhh...Bisto!

Back from the presentation - amazingly attentive folks who were also interested, curios and engaging. Funny how getting the "real users" together manages to get things going. If management types bothered to engage/listen to the folks that NEED information, we'd be much further down the road with what is really required.

Now lunch time

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

We've really noticed that Halloween has grown in the UK over the past 13 years. Its still a long way behind Canada and the US for going overboard but its coming along. Both of us enjoy it more than bonfire night. (which has become an excuse for brain dead chavs to set off fireworks for a fortnight. We have our few decorations up, don't expect any children though. SWMBO picked up a lovely skull candle the other day. The wick was untrimmed and hangs off to the one side. Reminded me of Gregor Fisher. Sort of miss the hordes of children that we used to get at the door. Our last one in Canada saw just under 100 kids in 3 hours at the door. Which reminds me, time to order some candy corn from the US import shop. mmmmm. sugar rush mmmmm.

On the 31st we will sit down to an evening of Beetlejuice and the Great Pumpkin.

Just realised that it is 13 (lucky) years this week since I darkened these shores. buhahahahaha

We decorate the porch every year and thus get a steady stream of youngsters plus a few not quite so young-sters (I certainly wouldn't let my daughter go out [almost] dressed like some of the latter) and it's usually great fun for the visiting little folk.

What seems to have happened is that with Bonfire Night becoming increasingly a  regimented 'official events only' sort of thing the family and youngsters attention has increasingly homed in on Halloween as an alternative offering a chance to dress in a fun costume and go round conning sweets out of anyone prepared to give them some.  Mind you if any of those 'clown' characters turn up in our front garden they'll be more likely to encounter various gardening tools than get a free sweetie.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Must be some years since we bumped into each other in the Rake

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Ahhhh...Bisto!

Back from the presentation - amazingly attentive folks who were also interested, curios and engaging. Funny how getting the "real users" together manages to get things going. If management types bothered to engage/listen to the folks that NEED information, we'd be much further down the road with what is really required.

Now lunch time

plenty of time for me on the journey home to look at various threads

I see that you waded in on that track thread to talk turds!!

Edited by roundhouse

We didn't notice much difference when we moved to the US. Halloween was always a big event in Scotland (and Ireland too I believe). In Scotland we had to carve big rutabagas (turnips) rather than pumpkins to make our lanterns. It's a case of a Celtic tradition that was exported to the US then re-imported to England. Christmas trees have a similar history.

• Like 2