The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

At the moment Christmas seems a long way away. Matthew will be home then. Allegedly the Enfield relatives will be in Enfield as nephew Josh's girlfriend only has Christmas day off (she is a nurse) and he will drive her back to work ( they live near Brighton) .

I suspect we may have MiL staying with us by then anyway. Aditi had some wild plan of taking the tiny nieces to see Frozen on ice at the O2. Every child needs a crazy Auntie! For all I know some relative from another continent will decide to visit at short notice. The hospital are planning to change all my medication in December. Perhaps I will be delirious!

I’m so glad that over here people usually have just the one day off at Christmas then work until New Years Eve............

I used to hate those long dark boring days.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Dom:

I rode on TTC's training cars a few times (in regular service). My impression was that the "training" equipment was a raised seat for the trainer to see over the driver, and a box with a switch in it to apply the brake, on a cable leading under the dash.

Edited by BR60103

• RMweb Gold

I’m so glad that over here people usually have just the one day off at Christmas then work until New Years Eve............

Best, Pete.

Thats why we head off somewhere. California this time but will be an expensive trip with the state of the pound.

Being in construction we have to use some of our leave at xmas. Downside is when my other half cant get the time off.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry start and some sunny spells forecast for today with a chance of some showers.

Didn't post yesterday as every time I looked in I then get sidetracked by something else.

I did manage a visit to Jane's Trains and in the end went by train as I was intending to meet a friend for a pub lunch on the way back. Managed to pick up some ballast and paint and will visit the shop again as they were really friendly and helpful. Trains were bang on time but due to a last minute hiccup the pub lunch and meet didn't happen.

Once again I can claim to be an idiot!  I'd spent some time trying to make a good job of ballasting the longest siding on the layout but thought it didn't look quite right. Suddenly I realised I hadn't painted the flippin' track, or any other track, so I was looking at a gleaming expanse of nickel silver.  :banghead: This is what happens when you (I that is) keep putting off jobs and don't work to a plan.

Comestible run today when I meet The Boss at work and then I suppose I better pick up the paint brush. That could take a while.

Have a good one,

Forgetful of Sutton.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1

G'day one and all

I made it to Witney last night for the Jack Carty gig, which I enjoyed very much.  It's a shame that there were no more than two dozen in the audience.  The venue, Fat Lil's, does duty as a comedy club and I can imagine the need for one in Witney.  As I was waiting outside I spotted some people sporting orange rosettes and wonder whether the result of today's by-election will be quite as predicted.  I introduced myself to Jack as one of his 'Plegends', which means that I contributed to the crowd-funding of his "Home State" CD back in the summer.  He will be back, but possibly not in Witney.

Getting there was quite fun.  The centre of Hemel Hempstead is no place for timid drivers but from Harpenden there is precious little option but to negotiate it if heading for the A41.  Why Harpenden, you ask.  Because it was Area Group yesterday afternoon.  There were eight of us round the table for lunch and a further three afterwards, which is most satisfactory.  The least expensive petrol I saw on the whole journey was in Bicester so I stopped briefly to top up the tank and buy a couple of baguettes for me and some Yazoo flavoured milk to wash them down.

I plan to spend today quietly.  Ironing can be done quietly and must be soon as there is quite an unstable pile of it.  I might venture out for a while though as I need to buy a tasteful greetings card for friends who have just become parents.

The trouble with being out all day is that there are 10 pages of new posts to digest.  Oh joy.

Best wishes to all travellers and to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving, missing and depressed

Chris

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Strike day 3 and this morning I have been dropped off at Caterham as my other half is working from home sharing the table with loads of weathered N scale tankers which should be dry enough to put away into the stock boxes tonight

The Vic service about to depart Caterham

post-1557-0-07882400-1476941600_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Is it warm in London today? Nearly time to get a bus to the station for my awayday in London.

Enjoy your day!

Dom nice to see 1600 in WYPTE red and cream.

Baz

• Like 16

Morning all. Still dark outside so haven't seen what the weather is doing. 

Another day planned for slaving over the keyboard.

Baz - According to the forecast it should get up to about 13 today in this part of London

Have a good day everyone

• Like 14

Thats why we head off somewhere. California this time but will be an expensive trip with the state of the pound.

Being in construction we have to use some of our leave at xmas. Downside is when my other half cant get the time off.

And it will be great to have you here! Yesterday, due to a flow of air straight from the Caribbean we reached 90.3f....................

No “Bad Hombres” from England. :sungum:

Course “they” are saying we will have a “cold winter” - therefore it is looking good.....

Best, Pete.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It's just getting light and I'm just about to finish my mug of tea.

Today's travels take me to Marton, Kirkham and finally Chorley, 1 site visit at each location.

So I'd best get cracking.

Back later.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

' Morning all from red dragon land at dawn.  Looks too cloudy to be a sunny one.

Best, Pete.

Now
I love a long Christmas.  Our Christmas celebrations tend to start Christmas Eve with the tree coming out of the attic and staying up for the 12 days.  The first week sees the various members of the family coming and going and the next a bit of a Christmassy wind down for us two.  Some years, we do the family visit with the kids doing the cooking.  Guess I'm still a kid at heart.  I love the colour and lights brightening up the long dark nights.  Then it's getting out the toy trains and tour brochures again.

As for now, I've got a long list of things to do for Hazel Grove...

Time to put kettle on...back later.

Hope your day goes well.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Another kid at heart here Polly. I love Christmas and we declare it "open" on my birthday on December 1st. The grandchildren still want to visit on that day to put up the tree and decorations and as far as I'm concerned long may it continue.  :yes:

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

:O AghHHHH that word,!!!!!! and it's still just October.... :O

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a village that is getting a bit brighter as I watch. The tree opposite looks as if it starting to take on it's autumn colours. Yesterday went quite well with various errands done and Beth collected at the correct time. Today I've got some things to sort out this morning. Depending on the weather I might even get the front window stained. Hopefully I may even get into the modelling room.

Christmas will be quiet for us this year. To avoid all the family politics of who comes and goes where on which day etc we're off to France for 4 weeks. We fed 14 last year on Christmas day, we suspect it might be roast poulet for two this year washed down with local merlot and some Pineau for aperitif and digestif.

Baz, hope that your day goes well. How about arranging for one of your products to be parked outside the pub.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 17

Another kid at heart here Polly. I love Christmas and we declare it "open" on my birthday on December 1st. The grandchildren still want to visit on that day to put up the tree and decorations and as far as I'm concerned long may it continue.  :yes:

Hello from a dull and overcast Somerset. By coincidence, I have just been trying to sort out Christmas for my 93 year old father who lives 250 miles away in Norfolk.

My wife's birthday is Jan 1st, so the festivities get a bit combined over that period, especially as our wedding anniversary is on Dec 20th. Fortunately, eldest son has volunteered to do a detour from Yorkshire to Norfolk on 23rd and pick his grandad up then bring him here the following day which is very convenient. 

I know people dislike the materialistic hype surrounding Christmas, but it is going to come along each year anyway; and there is no compulsion to over indulge or spend vast amounts of £££ on gifts. We tend to set a limit on spending, and as others have said - seeing and chatting with family members, plus the excitement of grandchildren with their present opening is the best thing.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

He's (TheQ) obviously waiting for the Hot Cross Buns and Easter Eggs.

Edit - typo and insert!

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Despite the best efforts of the stupids I am now on 1A18 destination Kings Cross. I haven't packed cold weather gear due to the ER weather forecast..thanks Duncan!

Jamie, the British Army are a bit short of MBTs as they scrapped over 100 of them when the Cold War ended rather than mothballing them.

My own vehicles 00FC17, 02EB45 (Chieftain) were smelted and 34KA64 and 35KA87 ( Challenger 1s) are either in Jordan (sold for reportedly £1 each) or in tank heaven!

Look Leeds city council won't even have one on display in leeds...they don't like people to know we used to make things here!

Awaiting my free coffee as we approach Wakefield.

Baz

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is quite sunny here now. Hopefully Baz will be having similar weather in London for his day out.

Assorted pre holiday tasks need to be done today, it seems I need a haircut.

Tony

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Despite the best efforts of the stupids I am now on 1A18 destination Kings Cross. I haven't packed cold weather gear due to the ER weather forecast..thanks Duncan!

Jamie, the British Army are a bit short of MBTs as they scrapped over 100 of them when the Cold War ended rather than mothballing them.

My own vehicles 00FC17, 02EB45 (Chieftain) were smelted and 34KA64 and 35KA87 ( Challenger 1s) are either in Jordan (sold for reportedly £1 each) or in tank heaven!

Look Leeds city council won't even have one on display in leeds...they don't like people to know we used to make things here!

Baz

We might visit the Tank Museum when we have our pre cruise break in Southampton. I can remember Dad always saying each year we would go to the museum. We never did.

Tony

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Baz

I did once hear a story of someone parking a Centurion outside the Tommy Wass after some sort of event in Leeds and the commander taking the crew in for a drink. Apparently it caused quite a stir.

Jamie

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Bovington is well worth a visit. Last time I went with a bunch of mates and bored them to death being a bit of a tank nutter. I worked for 8 years at what was known locally as "The tank factory" at Chobham (actually MVEE) and did lots of field trial analysis for the development of Warrior, Shir I, Shir II, Challenger and other stuff. Obviously having told you that I'll now have to kill you!

I may have worked with them for years but the first time I actually got to go inside a Chieftain was when I visited Bovington!

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 16