The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Captains log strike day 1 of 3, week 2!

Dropped off at Caterham station this morning as myvother half is working from home. A lot more people awaiting the empty stock arrival today. In the past there has been 2 or 3 people but today a dozen or so. Roads seem busier aswell.

A few beers last night in the Rake followed by a pint and food in our local Spoons. Our neighbour who had been on the IOW all weekend had just got back and stopped off in Spoons so we had a longer stay in here than anticipated butvstil just one pint.

Last beer til Saturday evening as too much to do in advance of the Beckenham show.

• RMweb Premium

Morning to most, evening to

It's chucking it down here so no gardening today.

A parcel to wrap then some more attempts at crust earning...talking of which should the players and clubs donate their earnings from the dreadful soccer match last night? It was carp of the highest order. Too much pay and not enough skilful play.

I have had an email from Virginontheeastcoast to remind me of my impending trip to London this week. I am off to meet up with people who worked on the development of the Challenger 2 tank. None of whom are involved in its update. This will involve a lot of talking, drinking and eating and is usually a great day. I have cancelled Friday.

Have a great time on Planet Earth good people.

Baz

• Like 18

Morning all from the boring borough. Off to the mothership this morning so I'll have Gerry Rafferty stuck in my head all day. (I'm sure you can work that one out) SWMBO is riding her luck with 3 days in a row of her trains being on time. No doubt Southeastern and Notwork Fail will conspire today to kick that statistic into touch. My first time peak commuting since early August.

Little else to report. Have a most enjoyable day.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning to all.

Been absent from here as of late. Work has interfered with a lot of things recently.

Slightly indifferent sort of day here today. Trying to make it's mind up methinks. Heavy rain over night has given a wet start but suspect there might be some sun available later.

We shall, no doubt see.

Rob

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It's wet and raining (on and off) so not the best start to the day. I'll shortly be setting off to Southport so I'd best get cracking.

Back later.

• RMweb Gold

Back from hospital and in not bad time, only 50 minutes from door to door. Would have only been 45 minutes if they'd opened on time.

Weetabix and coffee time now (I've given up the decaff rubbish)  and then off to pick up Her Bossness from work at 9.00.

• Like 3

Morning all, year end work has descended along with the gloom of an English autumn. No real time to catch up so best wishes to all.

I read this page of posts; and thanks to AndrewC I will probably have Gerry Rafferty, or at least "Bob Holness's"* sax solo, in my head all day too

* yes I know it wasn't him but it is one of those urban myths I wish was true!

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Gerry Rafferty, or at least "Bob Holness's"* sax solo, in my head all day too

The sax player was Raf Ravenscroft, and Gerry paid him for his contribution by cheque.  It bounced, and he never got paid for the solo which made Gerry's fame and fortune.  I don't think that's a myth as I heard it from the horse's mouth in a radio interview.

• RMweb Gold

DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME

As I have some oak 'planks' I made the stupid decision to use them by converting an alcove into a shelved cupboard.

Not wishing to ruin the lovely wood I decided to cut it by hand with a panel saw.

A full afternoon yesterday resulted in one 7'7" lengthways cut and some bulging muscles.

Strewth it's tough stuff!

Hilarious rating because I too have been there.

Read the book, got the Tee shirt and the matching muscles as well.

Aged oak is very strong.  After a few years of drying out it is difficult to drill a hole in it: Forget trying to hammer in a small nail.

Probably why the Royal Navy of Nelson's day had such sturdy ships.

PS: Probably best to get a new saw as the one you've been using will be Jomo Kenyattered

Hello all.

Cloudy but mot raining.

I have been given a shopping list. Aditi is off to the hairdressers this morning.

Tony

I hate mot raining as well:  'That'll be a new exhaust, two new tyres etc'.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, year end work has descended along with the gloom of an English autumn. No real time to catch up so best wishes to all.

I read this page of posts; and thanks to AndrewC I will probably have Gerry Rafferty, or at least "Bob Holness's"* sax solo, in my head all day too

The real saxophone player was the late Raphael Ranenscroft. Just one more bit of useless info that's in ones bonce!

Should have read Stewart's first, oops!

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Still can't find the ballast but I've had a brainwave. I'm going for a short train ride later to Tooting to Jane's Trains. I've never been there but I seem to remember that Dick (Smiffy) speaks quite highly of them.

You never know, I might see something else there to buy as well as ballast. (assuming of course that they stock it 'cos I can't find it on their website)  :scratchhead:  :locomotive:  :whistle:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  An ER was had, Mrs H dropped off at the hospital, now it's one of those days when you can't concentrate on anything until you know everything's OK.  Meeting my 'daughter' mid afternoon as she is a social worker at the hospital, so after her ward meeting at 3 we'll have a brew.  That'll cheer me up, she really brightens any day.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Still can't find the ballast but I've had a brainwave. I'm going for a short train ride later to Tooting to Jane's Trains. I've never been there but I seem to remember that Dick (Smiffy) speaks quite highly of them.

You never know, I might see something else there to buy as well as ballast. (assuming of course that they stock it 'cos I can't find it on their website)  :scratchhead:  :locomotive:  :whistle:

Don't forget to pop into a chemist for sticking plasters. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

It is the only way to find the missing ballast, by going out and buying some more.

• RMweb Premium

DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME

As I have some oak 'planks' I made the stupid decision to use them by converting an alcove into a shelved cupboard.

Not wishing to ruin the lovely wood I decided to cut it by hand with a panel saw.

A full afternoon yesterday resulted in one 7'7" lengthways cut and some bulging muscles.

Strewth it's tough stuff!

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The builder has been and gone already and apart from the cement drying the job is finished. I too have some wood that needs to be cut, its 12 mm ply which should be easier than solid oak. Problem is it measures 89 cm X 186 cm and is very heavy. I have decided to use it as shelves in the shed once the shed has been dry-lined, the 89 cm width is almost spot on for the shelving length I require (the width of the shed with the dry lining will be a few millimetres shy of 90 cm.), I need two shelves 50 cm deep and one 30 cm deep. Job for today is transfering a lot of the stuff removed from the shed to the garage and when the builder calls for his money discuss the next mods to be made.

• Like 13

... Our neighbour who had been on the IOW all weekend had just got back and stopped off in Spoons so we had a longer stay in here than anticipated butvstil just one pint.

Yes, the service in my local 'spoons is rather like that, too. The management's at fault - there's not enough bar staff.

• RMweb Gold

Service was actually quite good. Just that we ended up

Yes, the service in my local 'spoons is rather like that, too. The management's at fault - there's not enough bar staff.

Service was actually quite good last night but we ended up  talking to our neighbor for a lot longer than we planned to be in Spoons but yes some days it can take a long time to get served.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Sunshine currently finding its way through the clouds, exactly as forecast by Exeter's top notch seaweed (which completely missed the rain we had a couple of hours back).   Laddo duly learnt one of life's lessons yesterday when his car exhaust fell apart enroute to work and Slowfit charged £300 to replace it all, both back and front ends thereof - i wonder how much might have needed renewal when i told him 2 months ago that the exhaust was starting to blow and needed attention?  

I'm told we might be going out today and hopefully 'out' might mean a visit to the butcher in Pangbourne although I somehow doubt I'll be that lucky.

Have a good day one and alli

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning, back from the dentists, after poking and prodding I came away with a nothing needs doing result!

The rain during the night was of monsoon proportions, we now have sunshine with a few black clouds which could result in a couple of showers.

Not sure what this afternoons plan is I will wait and see.

Enjoy your day folks

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Slowfit charged £300 to replace it all, both back and front ends thereof

When I had the Astra exhaust done two weeks ago it was replaced all the way back from the manifold, so it was both front and back boxes plus a new flexible coupling.  Cost me £184 at our local tyre and exhaust centre. They did offer to put the original front box back on as it 'wasn't too bad', and if I'd agreed it would have been a bit cheaper.

What car does Laddo have, A Porsche?

Or is that darn sarth prices?

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all (just) from the village where the sun is currently shining. I've had a very lazy morning. Took the car for it's MOT and service then came home to have a leisurely breakfast and read the paper before making some phone calls. I've also warned my credit card that it may get a shock when I collect the car. Not sure what else I'll do today but I'm going to enjoy it. Hope everyone else's day goes well.

Regards

Jamie

• Like 8