The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning, I would have been on here about an hour ago but the latest windows update prevented that!

Bit grey outside with a gentle breeze,nothing specifically planned for today however a patch of static grass might be sorted later.

Enjoy your day

• RMweb Gold

So instead of an Amsterdam coffee shop the back garden smells like a Louisiana smoke house. 

I continue to experiment:

My workshop  currently smells like a unkempt public lavatory

The kitchen smells like a bakery..........................

And the PH's bedroom smells like I imagine a brothel would.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Doing A bit of dog child minding today for No1 Daughter I thought the boys had got out so I checked upstair first before running round the estate to her house as they have ran back home before and look what I found .

post-8647-0-21844000-1476443883_thumb.jpg

Cheeky bu99ers. :D

Edited by 81C
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

You can go back to Tescos now that they are stocking Marmite and Pot Noodles again :sungum:

No thanks, the latest senior management at moreasons is ex Tesco and their places look even more chaotic!

Baz

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Old farts bike club produced two bikes - in the rain.  Lots of waffle was spouted as usual, then I had myself off to the Island's main Ford dealer in the big city, for a new windscreen wiper set for the B-Max.  'We'll have to order those especially sir....' for a bloomin Fiesta....I ask you.  Pigging useless.  Five B-Maxes and a zillion Fiestas on their forecourt.... not as if they don't sell many!

I found previously that the Ford blades for the Focus were twice as expensive as aftermarket, but lasted three times as long, so would have preferred original equipment, but I'm not waiting for them to get their act together.  Bosch to the rescue.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Caught up at last and back home after another day's taxi driving.  Posts all read and rated, and happy to send the usual ER generic greeting to those in need/ailing/celebrating...

Odd sort of couple of days, and it continues - unable to get any info from bank on the state of our accounts, due to a problem with "historic data" being "unavailable" today, which is about par for the banking course these days.  Trip to town did not yield anything at all - bank info, books, you name it, I didn't get it.  Tomorrow is another day.

Dinner duty and walkies now call, so back later/tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I found previously that the Ford blades for the Focus were twice as expensive as aftermarket, but lasted three times as long, so would have preferred original equipment, but I'm not waiting for them to get their act together.  Bosch to the rescue.....

I agree with that Neil - I have had many Fords, and their blades are much more expensive that just about any other make.  I do like Bosch, and used them in preference to Ford, but have recently changed to Heyner blades which, so far, are pretty good.  In this case, I got a pair off Amazon for the 207 for £18.99 inc postage, but I'm not sure on whether they make blades for the Bmax.

• Like 6

Old farts bike club produced two bikes - in the rain.  Lots of waffle was spouted as usual, then I had myself off to the Island's main Ford dealer in the big city, for a new windscreen wiper set for the B-Max.  'We'll have to order those especially sir....' for a bloomin Fiesta....I ask you.  Pigging useless.  Five B-Maxes and a zillion Fiestas on their forecourt.... not as if they don't sell many!

Having recently paid £30 for a set of new blades for my Kia Picanto ( After 5 years I thought that the "Last" time was reasonable ) I have bought a little tool from Germany - google "Ecocut Pro" which will be used next time. If it does what it claims it will be a very reasonable investment - if it doesn't I haven't lost a lot!

• RMweb Premium

I've got the Bosch ones now Stewart, seem OK but we'll see how long they last.  I'll buy Ford ones for stock next time we're on the adjacent island, from a dealer that is prepared to have parts in stock for the vehicles they sell.

Apparently a new mega car dealer is coming to the Island with several franchises, and they have also bought out one local motor group - I'll not be sorry to see them kick the arse of the current jokers - who are the only official Ford dealers on the Island currently.  Interestingly the Ford spares counter is in the Kia section of the dealership - it took long enough just to bloody find it! #angry#

Having recently paid £30 for a set of new blades for my Kia Picanto ( After 5 years I thought that the "Last" time was reasonable ) I have bought a little tool from Germany - google "Ecocut Pro" which will be used next time. If it does what it claims it will be a very reasonable investment - if it doesn't I haven't lost a lot!

What does the tool do, Jack?

• Like 3

Morning all.

Nothing of value to report from yesterday. Still struggling with nasal congestion now accompanied with frequent sneezing <grr>

My sinuses "feel" OK, but since I'm headed back out to Long Island Monday for the week, I hope this clears up some/more as I don't relish flying  if my sinuses are congested - that's a horror show, best avoided when possible.

Planning a POE today as we are spending the weekend in southern Minnesota at our travelling companions weekend retreat - 2+ hour drive south from here, so we'll be leaving around 2PM. No major activities planned except for a scheduled tour of Frank Lloyd Wright "Taliesin House". See -> http://www.taliesinpreservation.org/visit

Other than that, eating/drinking and relaxing in good company.

7 here this morning and most of Minnesota forecasting 16-19 for highs over the weekend with a mix of sun and some rain showers.

POE and enjoy the weekend.

I've got the Bosch ones now Stewart, seem OK but we'll see how long they last.  I'll buy Ford ones for stock next time we're on the adjacent island, from a dealer that is prepared to have parts in stock for the vehicles they sell.

Apparently a new mega car dealer is coming to the Island with several franchises, and they have also bought out one local motor group - I'll not be sorry to see them kick the arse of the current jokers - who are the only official Ford dealers on the Island currently.  Interestingly the Ford spares counter is in the Kia section of the dealership - it took long enough just to bloody find it! #angry#

What does the tool do, Jack?

Puts a new edge on the blade - watch the video. Kia sell like hot cakes in this part of the world - Our dealership has just expanded into the space formerly occupied by the Nissan products because they are doing twice the business - I have to say I have NO complaints about their service or customer aftercare - could teach a lot of other dealerships (including Ford) a thing or two.

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

My car will be on its way back home soon. Just getting its "courtesy" valet. I hope the cleaner isn't allergic to dog hair and Essex mud.

Aditi phoned. Her Fiesta passed the MoT without problems. She resisted all attempts by the (actually very pleasant) Ford team to try to sell her dash cameras, reversing cameras, winter tyres( already have a set!) and so on. She did say yes to the free clean.

I said if she got bored why not look at the new cars while she waited. She said that didn't take long. She liked the Fiesta and the Mustang but thought the Mustang probably would not like some of the country lanes she drives along.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15

My car will be on its way back home soon. Just getting its "courtesy" valet. I hope the cleaner isn't allergic to dog hair and Essex mud.

Aditi phoned. Her Fiesta passed the MoT without problems. She resisted all attempts by the (actually very pleasant) Ford team to try to sell her dash cameras, reversing cameras, winter tyres( already have a set!) and so on. She did say yes to the free clean.

I said if she got bored why not look at the new cars while she waited. She said that didn't take long. She liked the Fiesta and the Mustang but thought the Mustang probably would not like some of the country lanes she drives along.

Tony

Reminds me, need to book my mondeo for it's mot before end of the month. Hopefully will get through mostly ok, always is something, especially with each passing year (05).

• RMweb Premium

Ah, that wouldn't have helped my blade Jack, it had begun to tear hallway up the rubber, above the edge.  Kia suffer here by being with the same dealer as Ford - Hyundai sell well enough, but the real big sellers here recently have been the Dacia range - price is obviously important.  Of course we're knee deep in Ferraris, McLarens and Lamborghinis, but that is the 'other' residents here not the rank and file!

Obvious really.

To help avoid cliff falls, build the Dawlish line 30 yards out to sea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-devon-37567165?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=58008c23e4b05295e3b1cc6d%26Storm-hit%20Dawlish%20rail%20line%20rebuild%20'could%20cost%20%C2%A3500m'%26&ns_fee=0#post_58008c23e4b05295e3b1cc6d

More sensible countries like Switzerland might construct concrete above the railway and allow the cliff to fall on it making a tunnel.

• Like 10

... Dutch testing revealed more then half of tested diesel cars failed the emissions test! Here's the table:

PASSED:

• Suzuki Swift
  • Volvo V50
  • Volvo V40 (4x)
  • Volvo V40 Cross Country
  • Isuzu D-Max (2x)
  • Chevrolet Captiva
  • Hyundai H-1
  • Hyundai IX20
  • Kia Venga
  • Opel Antara
FAILED:

• Jeep Grand Cherokee Van
  • Hyundai I40
  • Kia C'eed
  • Kia Optima
  • Kia Sorento
  • Suzuki Vitara
  • Suzuki SX4
  • Opel Mokka (2x)
  • Chevrolet Orlando
  • Chevrolet Cruze
  • Chevrolet Aveo
  • Volvo XC90 (2x)
HTH!

I see Volkswagen is missing from both lists.... :jester:

• Like 1

Doing A bit of dog child minding today for No1 Daughter I thought the boys had got out so I checked upstair first before running round the estate to her house have they have ran back home before and look what I found .

attachicon.gifWP_20161014_08_44_29_Pro.jpg

Cheeky bu99ers. :D

but nonetheless lovable. Of my two Schotty pretty much keeps to his basket or his allocated sofa (we have a dedicated "dog sofa"), whereas "The Dowager Duchess" (Lucy) has not yet encountered a sofa that she hasn't tried to annex.

Her basic attitude that it is her divine right (I think she's channeling Queen Marie Antoinette ) to sit/lie/spread out on any available sofa and any sofa owner should be proud to offer his/her sofa for her aristocratic bum to place itself on...

All the exotic cars round here seem to have disappeared.

Maybe they've turned up in my neck of the woods???

There seems to be a lot of liquidity to be mopped up around here, the SAAB Garage where we used to service our late, lamented, 9-3 estate has become a Maserati dealer; the nearby Jaguar dealer must have felt the need to "go upmarket" and has become a Bentley dealer. Even the dealer who sold us our modest little Škoda Yeti, has a forecourt of Audis (VWs off to the side, Škodas next to them, SEAT round the back...)

The Stationmaster mentioned that although Laddo didn't buy a car, he wants to get a Mini. Presumably we are talking about the new one made by BMW  and not the original one designed by Sir Alex Issigonis? Call me a philistine if you will, but I think of all the re-issued / re-imagined classics (VW Beetle, BMC Mini, FIAT 500) I think that the new FIAT 500 is the only one that has remained true to its' origins. The VW "New" Beetle production ended in 2010, the BMW version of the Mini is neither cheap (the 3 door hatchback starts at £13,500 and by the time I specc'd it up to match the old SAAB/current Yeti it went to ver £25,000!); nor is it small, agile and nippy. In comparison, the FIAT 500 starts at £11,500 and has a reasonable spec (the UK FIAT 500 RIVA editions seems pretty good value for money) and is big enough to comfortable hold iL Dottore but still has a smaller footprint than the Mini. FIAT have also pimped up the 500 to the MPW and Trekking versions, OK I guess, but not really FIAT 500s...

Anyway off to cook Spaghetti alle Vongole for my guest (and whisky drinking partner for this evening)

Have a good one

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Fiat parts are expensive a notoriously hard to get. Chrysler parts were expensive and not easy to obtain but our very good local garage says they have now rocketed in price and even harder to get now that they are part of Fiat. Wasn't good some years ago when my brother had a Fiat either.

Well Southern Failway hav lived up to the their reputation again tonight with many cancelled and delayed trains. We were lucky to have only been delayed just over ten minutes. Would have missed the bus if we weren't heading to the pub. Now on Harveys Old. Yum.

• RMweb Gold

My son in law Steve and daughter Nicki have both bought Dacias in the last couple of years, a Duster and a Stepway respectively and are both delighted with them. Nicki's neighbour Nicki also bought a Stepway after seeing Nicki's and she (Nicki) is also delighted. From what I can see if you are on a limited budget and want a new car they are a good buy.

I might even consider one myself if my Focus dies. Much as I would like a bigger and better car it is not worth it on the very low mileage that I do these days.

• RMweb Premium

Its not just Southern which has problems.. Dr Eldest Herbert is trying to get back from Hull.. Latest from TPE...

Service updates
  • This train has been delayed by a fault occurring when attaching a part of a train

Not yet left Hull but it may or may not be 26 minutes late.

Ian - can you have a pint of Harveys for me please? Haven't had a pint of that for absolutely ages.

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

and as I was writing..

Service updates
  • This train has been cancelled because of a fault occurring when attaching a part of a train

Next one is at 19:59. A two hour gap between trains.  So he will be late escaping leaving from Hull.

He did say the 185s are showing their age.

Baz

Started work at 8 this morning - working at home so thought I may have an early finish. Did I ***** - went right through to 6:30.

Had I tried the same job at work I'd have been there until midnight so maybe some advantage.

Next week I'm in very, very bad company - she's away so I'm home alone.

• Like 2