The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Well that is the hearing test finished with. Some hearing degredation, particularly in one ear, but not enough to warrant use of a hearing aid at this stage. The problems with hearing are deemed to be mainly of inability to focus/process them due to my fibromyalgia (the gift that keeps giving!).

Dang it! Sounds like fun, but the timing couldn't be worse - for me.

I am planning a quick visit to the UK that weekend, arriving Friday 11th early AM, but part of the reason is for another hobby/activity which will consume all of Friday located in Farnborough, and that's the only day for that activity  :( I'm not sure I'd want to risk taking a break/train into Waterloo/return consuming a couple of hours given the abysmal rail travel options reported here daily! :O

I'm still planning/hoping to see some folks Saturday (or Sunday, not sure which is "preferred" yet, suggestions welcomed) at the Hampton Court show in Tolworth.

Question: Aside from not showering for days, and making sure I have a large obstructive back-pack, how do we best identify other ERs at such venues?? :jester:

Name badges?

Afternoon all. Well the week is half over. Thank feck.

Work is annoying me at the moment. Nothing to do but getting up early for a meeting at 8 only to sit waiting and waiting. Manager that called the meeting emailed to apologise and said she'd call shortly. That was 6 1/2 hours ago. Oh well. They also wanted me to move my day off at the end of the month. (NMRA convention setup) "No chancee Mr Whalen". To use an old local saying. Now it looks like I may or may not have to travel to a client meeting on Friday for a potential bit of work. They've blocked out the whole day of my time and several others, but just on the off chance the client is ready for the meeting, which is not likely as most of them don't work in the office on Fridays. Oh well. I get to top up my Oyster card on expenses if nothing else. Also found out the company is changing their focus. (what ever the f*ck that means) Well it means round 15% of the employees are going out the door over the next few years. Interestingly none of the losses will be on the continent. Thanks Brexit. I should be safe this time as I'm in a "growth area" that is still recruiting.

Oh well back to waiting for a call that will never come. At least I can POE from starting so early. A bit of modelling perhaps. I may also pop in to the CAMRA branch meeting tonight. Looks as though there may be an execution or a witch burning on the agenda.

You should be OK on South West Trains but  paying a 'flying' (guessing what you may be up to) visit form Farnborough is probably way too tight on the Friday.

Well you should be able to spot me at least at Tolworth show as long as I am not hiding under Banbury :sungum:

Indeed, attempting it may result in trying to do too much, resulting in not effectively getting anything out of either encounter.

It is indeed "flying", an annual charity event that runs for a week 24/7 that I've wanted to be part of for a few years. I can't get there before Nov. 11th, and it's over Saturday around 9AM.

For more details and to add another level of boredom/trivia to an already overflowing ER compendium - http://www.simfest.co.uk/

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Question: Aside from not showering for days, and making sure I have a large obstructive back-pack, how do we best identify other ERs at such venues?? :jester:

One should grow a beard, preferably of the shaggy grey variety and put on about 40 lbs in weight.

If you can dress in a faded maroon coloured, model club motif-ed sweatshirt, complete with last night's pizza still dribbling down the front, you will be recognised/should recognise a like minded fellow.

PS Don't forget the massive DSLR!

Edited by Happy Hippo

One should grow a beard, preferably of the shaggy grey variety and put on about 40 lbs in weight.

If you can dress in a faded maroon coloured, model club motif-ed sweatshirt, complete with last night's pizza still dribbling down the front, you will be recognised/should recognise a like minded fellow.

Remember these only apply if the exhibition is a large commercial one generally. The obligatory sore head for lower down wheelchair/mobility scooter users is also a common thing in my experience.

• RMweb Gold

As it's ERs we are talking about everyone should whistle , 'Morning has Broken' or 'Early One Morning' or, just to annoy Trisonic anything by Tony Orlando and Dawn.

Got you!  Now you're all humming 'Tie a yellow ribbon.....' :devil:

• RMweb Premium

As it's ERs we are talking about everyone should whistle , 'Morning has Broken' or 'Early One Morning' or, just to annoy Trisonic anything by Tony Orlando and Dawn.

Got you!  Now you're all humming 'Tie a yellow ribbon.....' :devil:

Follow my example from my early days when I apparently used to wake the family up at 5am singing Now the Day is Over. I of course have no memory of this, I think it's an urban myth similar to the allegation that I snore.

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Then I will definitely hide under the layout :sungum:

• Like 1

The carnation thingy didn't work at Ormesby Hall . . . . UNLESS . . .they saw me coming and hid them.!.!

John

Perhaps my use of a scooter allows people to have the 'crumbs, its HER!, hide!' option.

Though thankfully most all RMwebbers/ERers (ERs? ER's?) have been of the friendly/helpful persuasion.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Name badges?

I believe (or get the strong impression) that young Mr ChrisF and myself are the only people with the nerve to regularly wear them when attending exhibitions etc  (or maybe everyone else is firmly convinced that they are instantly recognisable anyway and therefore don't need a badge?).

• Like 12

I believe (or get the strong impression) that young Mr ChrisF and myself are the only people with the nerve to regularly wear them when attending exhibitions etc  (or maybe everyone else is firmly convinced that they are instantly recognisable anyway and therefore don't need a badge?).

I don't need a name badge as I can usually be recognised as the one about to run a nearby idiot not looking where they're going over ;) (I try hard to avoid it actually happening however!)

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from Estuary-Land. Just had to wait for 15 minutes for Windows 10 to do some uploads and then I had to find and reload a couple of downloads, what a PITA. Only got a few minutes now as its club night, be back later.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps my use of a scooter allows people to have the 'crumbs, its HER!, hide!' option.

Though thankfully most all RMwebbers/ERers (ERs? ER's?) have been of the friendly/helpful persuasion.

It's either that Kelly, or you've run them down as they were bending over to tie up their plimsolls.

• RMweb Gold

I don't need a name badge as I can usually be recognised as the one about to run a nearby idiot not looking where they're going over ;) (I try hard to avoid it actually happening however!)

I don't need a name badge as I can usually be recognized as the one about to run a nearby idiot.

• RMweb Gold

Ian, I can normally be recognised by my blood stained head in a sling.    :jester: Not sure which day I'm going yet. I normally park in the Advantage Day Centre up the road from the recreation centre but they haven't yet confirmed if it is available.

I have been known to wear this

post-5890-0-69061800-1476295351_thumb.jpg

and in doing so have been "found" by one or two of our membership in the past.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 9

POLICE WARNING:

It has come to the attention of the Metropolitan Police that the following Old Lags, Reprobates, Ne'er Do Wells, Wide Boys, Miscreants, Malefactors, Delinquents and Wretches will be assembling at the Princess of Shoreditch on November 11th:

• Swiss Flavio
  • bbishop
  • Jamie92208
  • ChrisF
  • The Stationmaster
  • roundhouse
  • Unravelled
  • JohnDMJ

Please be advised that if seen, these individuals should NOT be approached as they are suspects in the brutal assaults on Mr H Ornby and Mr B Achmann and thought to be members of the merciless and violent "AMS" railway gang.

(AMS = Accurate Modelling Standards)

Should any member of the ER public know of any other villain likely to turn up at the Princess of Shoreditch on November 11th, please "grass them up" to: Inspector "Swiss" Cheese of the yard, a.k.a. iL Dottore.

I hear that Herr Maerklin may be up to his usual Trix in conjunction with the meat man in trying to sabotage the event! Roco'n, Tomix! H0 H0!

As for Arnold, well, he may be Bach, mann!

Swiss cheese? There must be a hole in the argument but if all goes well, it could be a fond do!

Edited by JohnDMJ

• RMweb Premium

Crikey, I have a grey beard, and wore a maroon top today.  Thankfully for others, I wash though!  No backpack either, hate them.

Big delivery today from JohnDMJ's lot, that's me tied up all day tomorrow sorting it all.

Talking about the 'hole in the Wall' at Waterloo brought back some memories, I used to go there with a mate when we travelled to Lunnun for exhibitions and the like.  The mate died in tragic but 'natural causes' circumstances in his late 30's, quite a blow at the time.  Thinking back to when I was last there for a pint took some thinks bubbles, and came up with our honeymoon, which was - gulp - 32 years, going on 33, ago!  Used to have a nice pint of Brakespears Special, which Mike Stationmaster tells me is not the beer it once was.

• Like 14