The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Suitable for what? I usually use the Hole in The Wall, which is the closest pub to the station.... 

Pete

Sadly a small get together to raise a glass in a young friend's memory. 

Sadly a small get together to raise a glass in a young friend's memory. 

Then I'd recommend the King's Arms or the Windmill as they're a bit less manic than the ones closer to the station. Crappy reason to go, but its good that he had friends to keep his memory alive. I'm pretty sure you can also reserve a table at these pubs.

Edited by AndrewC

Morning all. An average nights sleep and my sinus's seem to be calming down at last. At least it means that I can concentrate for long enough to do some modelling today.

Another coffee is required.

Back later and have a good day everyone

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Sun shining at the moment but I was woken at 7:30 this morning by the rain rattling on the window. Still trying to find space for all the rubbish might be useful some day stuff removed from the shed before the builder starts at the end of the month. One of the things I found was a bulkhead light still in its box which I had forgotten about. Thats going back but fixed to the wall as there is no lighting in there at the moment. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning again, all.

Carp night's sleep for me too. Awoken by the youngest who drifted back to sleep, leaving me thinking about the upcoming day's work for an hour or so.

Now to knackered to crack on with it! Doh!!

Thanks for all the pub recommendations. I've been to the Hole in the Wall a few times and the Fire Station, which was manic and heaving. 

One nice pub that I used to frequent, about 10-12 mins from Waterloo, is the Duke of York (corner of Southwark Bridge Road and Borough Rd), a Fullers pub with bistro type food. Haven't been there for a while, so can't vouch for it at the moment, but worth a look if any of you are passing. Fullers may be a bit generic brewery for some, however.

Meanwhile the Artitec fishing boat kit has been finished. Based on my handiwork I'm not sure I'd be cut out for making "ships in a bottle" though! 

• RMweb Gold

Morning again, all.

Carp night's sleep for me too. Awoken by the youngest who drifted back to sleep, leaving me thinking about the upcoming day's work for an hour or so.

Now to knackered to crack on with it! Doh!!

Thanks for all the pub recommendations. I've been to the Hole in the Wall a few times and the Fire Station, which was manic and heaving. 

One nice pub that I used to frequent, about 10-12 mins from Waterloo, is the Duke of York (corner of Southwark Bridge Road and Borough Rd), a Fullers pub with bistro type food. Haven't been there for a while, so can't vouch for it at the moment, but worth a look if any of you are passing. Fullers may be a bit generic brewery for some, however.

Meanwhile the Artitec fishing boat kit has been finished. Based on my handiwork I'm not sure I'd be cut out for making "ships in a bottle" though! 

Yes the Duke of York is quite pleasant although its a few years since we have been in there on our way to Daggets whihc overlooks the Thames next ot Blackfriars bridge (service v poor sometimes though).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It looks quite nice outside this morning.

i'm sure that will change.

Top coating the indise inside faces of the planks being used on the re-clad of the storage(Saves unloading the shed to paint them once in situ.)

Then a quick call in to see an old friend to catch up, then off to Modeller's Mecca.

As I have not been over for some time I suspect I may need to take both all four credit cards.

I am considering the options as to building a 'quicky' 7mm shunting plank using Peco track, or whether to forego that pleasure and just go in for the long haul of hand building all the track on what will be my last great layout (attempt).

Come to think of it, the shunting plank is likely to end up with more point work than the magnum opus. 

Besides I like building track (fortunately).

Edit for dyslexic spellign

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The cloudy outdoors has turned to sunshine - so the forecast is wrong but I doubt the sunshine will last.  Offspring safely gathered in - interesting to hear what Poland is like nowadays as it's over (just) 40 years since herself and I were last there, seems a lot of teh old 'culture' has vanished.

Interesting to hear about the pub's around Waterloo especially as i worked there for the final six years of my big railway career and never even went in a pub in the vicinity in that entire time (lunchtime alcohol consumption being verboten on the railway by then); is the remaindered bookshop just past the Fire Station still going - they used to get an interesting selection of railway books in there?

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 17

Yes the Duke of York is quite pleasant although its a few years since we have been in there on our way to Daggets whihc overlooks the Thames next ot Blackfriars bridge (service v poor sometimes though).

Doggets is bloody awful. I used to work on Blackfriar's Road. It was the one we avoided like the plague. Poor service, poor beer conditioning, poor décor. Sort of like drinking in a multi-story car park. If we are talking about pubs a bit further afield from Waterloo, the Rose & Crown on Colombo is quite good. There is also the Mad Hatter. Most of the pubs to the south of Waterloo are pretty crap. Duke of Sussex and the Horse & Stables are best avoided.

Bill, never had a bad pint or bad service in the King's. That goes back to 2003.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The cloudy outdoors has turned to sunshine - so the forecast is wrong but I doubt the sunshine will last.  Offspring safely gathered in - interesting to hear what Poland is like nowadays as it's over (just) 40 years since herself and I were last there, seems a lot of teh old 'culture' has vanished.

Interesting to hear about the pub's around Waterloo especially as i worked there for the final six years of my big railway career and never even went in a pub in the vicinity in that entire time (lunchtime alcohol consumption being verboten on the railway by then); is the remaindered bookshop just past the Fire Station still going - they used to get an interesting selection of railway books in there?

Have a good day one & all.

No. Its currently being redeveloped. Whether it reopens or not we shall have to wait and see.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there and as I've been using lots of Evo-stick in a small room it's almost high here. The good news is that I appear to have increased the height of the board for the backscene successfully without sticking myself to it. (It was a close run thing though   :whistle:  )

Next step will be to line it. Even I should be able to do that. Possibly.  :scratchhead:  

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

I am waiting for a parcel to delivered by DPD. Their notification and tracking system looks to be very good.

I should, within the next 45 minutes or so, be able to tell you if it is accurate.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all.

I am waiting for a parcel to delivered by DPD. Their notification and tracking system looks to be very good.

I should, within the next 45 minutes or so, be able to tell you if it is accurate.

My wife tells me that she+my credit card have triggered a DPD delivery, also. 

I think I need better tracking on my credit card! ;) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Very accurate indeed.

Their tracking system tells my what number I am in the delivery sequence and which delivery the driver is up to.  There is an E.T.A. and a map showing my and the van's locations.  At  the last check, it showed the van at the end of the road, but it wasn't exactly accurate as the van pulled up as I was checking. Impressive.

• Like 16

Doggets is bloody awful. I used to work on Blackfriar's Road. It was the one we avoided like the plague. Poor service, poor beer conditioning, poor décor. Sort of like drinking in a multi-story car park. If we are talking about pubs a bit further afield from Waterloo, the Rose & Crown on Colombo is quite good. There is also the Mad Hatter. Most of the pubs to the south of Waterloo are pretty crap. Duke of Sussex and the Horse & Stables are best avoided.

Bill, never had a bad pint or bad service in the King's. That goes back to 2003.

What about the Plume of Feathers?

• RMweb Premium

Early finish today, I got home just as the kettle had finished boiler for Mrs W's cup of coffee. Nicely timed!

Now that I've just turned 60 I've had the joys of sending off some samples for testing to see if I have bowel cancer. Well today I've had the results back and I'm pleased to say that they were normal.

Over the last few years I've (we've) gotten to like being normal.

Back later.

• Like 9

POLICE WARNING:

It has come to the attention of the Metropolitan Police that the following Old Lags, Reprobates, Ne'er Do Wells, Wide Boys, Miscreants, Malefactors, Delinquents and Wretches will be assembling at the Princess of Shoreditch on November 11th:

• Swiss Flavio
  • bbishop
  • Jamie92208
  • ChrisF
  • The Stationmaster
  • roundhouse
  • Unravelled
  • JohnDMJ

Please be advised that if seen, these individuals should NOT be approached as they are suspects in the brutal assaults on Mr H Ornby and Mr B Achmann and thought to be members of the merciless and violent "AMS" railway gang.

(AMS = Accurate Modelling Standards)

Should any member of the ER public know of any other villain likely to turn up at the Princess of Shoreditch on November 11th, please "grass them up" to: Inspector "Swiss" Cheese of the yard, a.k.a. iL Dottore.

Edited by iL Dottore

POLICE WARNING:

It has come to the attention of the Metropolitan Police that the following Old Lags, Reprobates, Ne'er Do Wells, Wide Boys, Miscreants, Reprobates, Malefactors, Delinquents and Wretches will be assembling at the Princess of Shoreditch on November 11th:

• Swiss Flavio
  • bbishop
  • Jamie92208
  • ChrisF
  • The Stationmaster
  • roundhouse
  • Unravelled
  • JohnDMJ

Please be advised that if seen, these individuals should NOT be approached as they are suspects in the brutal assaults on Mr H Ornby and Mr B Achmann and thought to be members of the merciless and violent "AMS" railway gang.

(AMC = Accurate Modelling Standards)

Should any member of the ER public know of any other villain likely to turn up at the Princess of Shoreditch on November 11th, please "grass them up" to: Inspector "Swiss" Cheese of the yard, a.k.a. iL Dottore.

Dang it! Sounds like fun, but the timing couldn't be worse - for me.

I am planning a quick visit to the UK that weekend, arriving Friday 11th early AM, but part of the reason is for another hobby/activity which will consume all of Friday located in Farnborough, and that's the only day for that activity :( I'm not sure I'd want to risk taking a break/train into Waterloo/return consuming a couple of hours given the abysmal rail travel options reported here daily! :O

I'm still planning/hoping to see some folks Saturday (or Sunday, not sure which is "preferred" yet, suggestions welcomed) at the Hampton Court show in Tolworth.

Question: Aside from not showering for days, and making sure I have a large obstructive back-pack, how do we best identify other ERs at such venues?? :jester:

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Dang it! Sounds like fun, but the timing couldn't be worse - for me.

I am planning a quick visit to the UK that weekend, arriving Friday 11th early AM, but part of the reason is for another hobby/activity which will consume all of Friday located in Farnborough, and that's the only day for that activity  :( I'm not sure I'd want to risk taking a break/train into Waterloo/return consuming a couple of hours given the abysmal rail travel options reported here daily! :O

I'm still planning/hoping to see some folks Saturday (or Sunday, not sure which is "preferred" yet, suggestions welcomed) at the Hampton Court show in Tolworth.

Question: Aside from not showering for days, and making sure I have a large obstructive back-pack, how do we best identify other ERs at such venues?? :jester:

You should be OK on South West Trains but  paying a 'flying' (guessing what you may be up to) visit form Farnborough is probably way too tight on the Friday.

Well you should be able to spot me at least at Tolworth show as long as I am not hiding under Banbury :sungum:

• Like 13

and it's good morning from me this HUMP day.

Yesterday again uneventful save some mild attack of sore throat and general fatigue that I overcame with a honey/lemon revival drink, a short nap and some food late in the day.

Package duly arrived with circuit breakers, now all I need is the upgrade EPROM for the NCE Booster I won for peanuts on eBay, and I'm all set to weld some trains to some track :jester:

HUMP day drive in marred slightly by my oversleeping and therefore catching some cockwombles less than perfect drivers on the road. Overcast so at least we weren't plagued by the "sun rises in the east AGAIN, so we all better drive at 2mph" syndrome.

4 first thing and overcast, supposed to be a high of 10 and remain overcast most of the day, tonight forecast to be freezing, i.e. ZERO C in the metro area and a little colder further out.

carry on...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 9