The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Must be Gordon's thought waves. I have my phone in my hand and the telephone number in front of me and lo and behold a builder appears on the drive. Of course as soon as he had marked the site out and set his oppo to work he has buzzed off somewhere. No doubt finishing off another job! Now I have to ring the building manufacturers and re-book the date for assembly as the builder doesn't think the foundation slab will be ready for use until next Wednesday. Ho hum I wonder why I never went into project management?

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Its the inept and vacuous that are more interested in being 15 min celebs, that the programme attracts.

I fully agree with that thinking, although these people claim to be among the country's best business brains, and I've got to say that this shower would have problems running a whelk stall, or indeed, the proverbial booze up in a brewery.

I've just had a look at the follow on show on the i-player and the arrogant spike-haired blondie with the dodgy glasses was not there - she had been replaced by somebody with smooth black hair, and no specs - no doubt she had to change her appearance after her performance on the show, so that she'd not be recognised and approached in the street.

Having watched an episode of the Apprentice while I was in the UK last week, I realised that most (if not all) of the potentials are now selected for their ability to produce good Television, rather than their business acumen. This has become noticeably worse as the series has gone on.

I have met many far better business people of equivalent age and experience in my professional life.

• RMweb Premium

Now that's a view very much to my liking - taken from "the Tower" before class again :lol: ...

dsc05296si89.jpg

Just to the right of the centre in this photo is Frankfurt Western Station with a double deck regional express on its way to Kassel coming in from the left...

dsc05298mdv4.jpg

And zooming in on the station, there are two suburban services on the elevated section :D .

• RMweb Gold

..., although these people claim to be among the country's best business brains ...

I think the ability to "claim" may be the skill that gets people onto these programmes.

There was a mention of whelk stalls. Some years ago a local whelk stall was in the news as the owners hid someone from a gunman. I'm sure the local paper actually referred to them as "cockle-shed heroes"

That is an incredible piece of film - Interestingly enough, to continue the Groundhog Day theme, I saw it a couple of days ago on another site!

There have been a number of these sort of photos over the years which purport to show people out of time. Here's another one - the picture was taken in the early 1940s and the guy in the shot with the sunglasses looks at first glance out of time. However, it probably isn't quite as out of time as it appears.

The story of John Titor is another interesting one - if it was a hoax then it was an extremely elaborate one with seemingly no gain.

ABYC000a00fa.jpg

Yes, I've seen that picture before and the clothing/glasses are plausible.

Gordon may be able to corroborate this but in the fifities there were quite a few guys visible in Central London who had shoulder length hair, beards, walked around in sandals looking for all the world like hippies from over ten years later. People even had a name for them: My mother referred to them (when seen) as "Creeping Jesus'".

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

According to the news, a bird flying too close to the OHLE in the railway tunnel in Frankfurt caused a flashover, resulting in train service disruptions just around peak time.

I should imagine the bird was somewhat disrupted as well.

• RMweb Premium

It's the new line in German fast food - Unlucky Fried Pigeon...

That'd be a classical case of negative advertising, I would think! :lol:

Morning all - pitch dark outside, but the weather's supposed to be fairly good. Will need to tidy up some rooms later on, though.

Have a good day all!

Morning All,

Another dark, and rather chilly morning here. Still, it will soon be weekend!

I once saw a pigeon get electrocuted by the OLE in Hamburg Hbf. I don't know quite how - but just as a loco went through I saw the pigeon rise up from where it had been sitting on the catenary and literally explode (with a huge bang, I hasten to add) - there was a noxious cooking smell, and bits of feather drifting down to earth (some alight) were all that was left. I wondered about the physics of this at the time - I guess the pigeon must somehow have made contact with the live wire and the loco body (perhaps only with wing tips) which was enough to cause the incident. 15Kv doesn't leave a lot of room for error!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

I also read about incidents where birds were trying to land on a locomotive's roof and inadvertently bridged the gap between live and insulated components, with very terminal results. There would even appear to be cases where this caused sufficient damage to the loco to disable it.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is rather dull but dry here.

I don't really have anything planned for today. My wife has taken a day's leave from work so she can make a start on the next chunk of her thesis, so tea making may be prioritized.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Friday again, how did that happen? Looks a bit gloomy and grey out but as the dog is whinging and SWMBO is still in bed I guess I'm on dog walking duties. Builders expected back today to finish off laying hardcore/scalpings. They assure me they will lay the concrete slab on Monday and all will be well. We shall see. If not I will have a couple of tons of steel delivered on Wednesday and nowhere to put it!

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Morning All, Friday again, how did that happen? Looks a bit gloomy and grey out but as the dog is whinging and SWMBO is still in bed I guess I'm on dog walking duties. Builders expected back today to finish off laying hardcore/scalpings. They assure me they will lay the concrete slab on Monday and all will be well. We shall see. If not I will have a couple of tons of steel delivered on Wednesday and nowhere to put it!

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Did you abandon the idea of a timber structure? I thought when you talked of a concrete slab that this would be the base of the new building, but your mention of steel would suggest an extension to the house, rather than a free standing structure.

Guest Max Stafford

It's a real grim one up here this morning; an armada of battleships and heavy cruisers overhead, leaking profusely. Very nasty indeed and by the end of the morning, I strongly suspect I will be the owner of a soggy doggy...!

No plans today except possibly a haircut - I can't be bothered otherwise.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

It's a real grim one up here this morning; an armada of battleships and heavy cruisers overhead, leaking profusely.

Shouldn't this be "firing profusely"? Surely leaking wouldn't be welcome on any kind of ship! :lol:

• RMweb Gold

BoD - you've just revealed the plot of next Monday's Spooks. The MI5 website is hacked to advertise Take That tickets...

Dull, grey and wet here and I've got a headache. Grrr...

I'm lucky, two paracetamol usually clears my headaches. Doesn't stop me being dull or grey . Fortunately still at the stage where weather or washing rather than other conditions makes me wet though!

I'm lucky, two paracetamol usually clears my headaches. Doesn't stop me being dull or grey .

Yes - same here. Although, for a Migraine it is usually two paracetamol, an ibuprofen and a lay down in a dark room.

It is a lovely day here today - which is good because it started off rather foggy.

Yes - same here. Although, for a Migraine it is usually two paracetamol, an ibuprofen and a lay down in a dark room.

Apparently I'm the "only person in the World" according to my Doctor that has a reaction to paracetamol (Tylenol in the 'States). My face tingles as if I have pins and needles - which is unfortunate as it is the best for my headaches too.

Best, Pete.