The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Just had too much on over the last couple of days to have much time to catch up on here, but I have finally managed to back read the six or so pages and to rate everybody's contributions.  A lot to comment upon, probably too much to pick out anything without missing somebody else's just as important post.  However, great to have the queen of the collies back posting, and long may it continue.

The pic of Leander heading for Blackburn reminded me that this was a trip that I had meant to take, but it was booked for Galatea, and also is just a re-run of the same trip that I did a few years ago - Carnforth - Chester and back, exactly the same route and loco, so I dodn't bother.

Weekend was busy, and involved a trip to town, a couple of rotten car boot sales, and then a load of paperwork, and some garden tasks.  Then just had to perform some eyelid inspection.

A huge list of domestic tasks, including getting a chicken for Lily's dinner - we too spoil her rotten.  Best get on.

Regards to All

Stewart

ps Morning Flavio, I see you lurking there....

Edited by 45156
  • Like 2

Good morning, and another sunny Somerset day.

I really don't know what I am going to do today, although I really ought to wash out some beer bottles in readiness for later sterilisation that will precede bottling of the Spiced Christmas Ale in the near future.

However, being a 'house husband' I am more likely to end up cleaning the toilets and mopping the utility room and kitchen floors.

My aquarium heater is on the blink. I found the Tetras looking very pale on Sat morning and hovering rather listlessly near the bottom of the tank; a sure sign something is not right. Looking at the thermometer, I found it reading 20C even though the thermostat was already turned up to 30C just to keep the water warm in summer. Now the thermostat is on the max of 32C and the water has drifted up to 23C, but at least the Tetras are looking more colourful.

A new 300w thermostat is currently on its way to Jonny's hovel and hopefully this will do the trick.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Very wet here in Killarney this morning. We will be checking out of the hotel soon and driving back to Cork. We will take Matthew back to his lodgings and then we will head to the airport.

Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Just had too much on over the last couple of days to have much time to catch up on here, but I have finally managed to back read the six or so pages and to rate everybody's contributions.  A lot to comment upon, probably too much to pick out anything without missing somebody else's just as important post.  However, great to have the queen of the collies back posting, and long may it continue.

The pic of Leander heading for Blackburn reminded me that this was a trip that I had meant to take, but it was booked for Galatea, and also is just a re-run of the same trip that I did a few years ago - Carnforth - Chester and back, exactly the same route and loco, so I dodn't bother.

Weekend was busy, and involved a trip to town, a couple of rotten car boot sales, and then a load of paperwork, and some garden tasks.  Then just had to perform some eyelid inspection.

A huge list of domestic tasks, including getting a chicken for Lily's dinner - we too spoil her rotten.  Best get on.

Regards to All

Stewart

ps Morning Flavio, I see you lurking there....

Our train form Brum arrived a few minutes late into Wigan NW. As we got off our friends were waiting for us up the front. The steam special came through on time as our train departed a few minutes late blocking the view of the special heading South. A lot of unhappy gricers on the platform.

Probably my fault bringing the Southern Failway disease with us.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny here this morning so I'll have to do more than think about the gardening I'll actually have to do some. Mostly spreading a bit of weedkiller around the patio and front path. I'd better get started then, be back later.

• Like 10

....Laddo is now a trainee volunteer on the GCR (the Great Cockrow Railway that is) and spent a goodly chunk of yesterday pulling signal levers which he seemed to enjoy although I think he was slightly put out to hear on his return that in the past I have worked the usually double manned Everglades Junction on my own on 'fun' days  (lovely power frame ex South Croydon and superbly reaaranged & laid out for double manning).

http://www.cockcrow.co.uk/page11.html

They also offer you three signalling simulators, so you can have a go on your own PC.....

• Like 9

Morning all

Just waiting for VW to collect the car for its MOT; they called a minute ago to say it wouldn't be until 11.30 because they were "running a little late"... had planned to be out by 10.30 but it'll have to wait.

Wonderful weekend weatherwise, sun shining, blue skies and Simpsons clouds. Similar this morning. Good for tourists in town. Bumped into a Belgian couple in the pub yesterday after our lengthy walk, chatted about B**xit and whisky, not that the two are in any way related.

Made a cracking lemon drizzle cake, too, wonder why I can't keep the weight off?

Hope you all have a good day

Mal

• Like 18

Morning all (for once!),

Hope all's well.... a lovely sunny morning here in a still leafy Warwickshire, mostly green and verdant with the odd touch of red and orangey brown in the trees, a very nice time of year I've always thought. Nipped down to Napton first thing to grab a set of locking wheel nuts for the newly arrived old Mini and on the way back noticed what a grand view of the county you get in certain places along the Dunchurch to Southam road, what a lovely country we live in.

Am 'on call' with several chores to do today, number one job is the hoovering, also must get the pile of firewood cut up and put in the dry wood shed before it gets too wet and the greenhouse needs a new pain of glass after one of them fell out yesterday, our two 'outdoor cats' must have had a heart attack when it happened as they were both snoozing inside it when it happened! The garage needs a good tidy up too, it's starting to fill up with cars parts since I bought the Mini home at the weekend, somehow I've ended up with two Minis and four sets of wheels, how did that happen...? ;) 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Much the same sort of dance routines.

Maybe so, but even I duck to dodge her left hook!

....the grass is still growing. Looks like I'm going to have to fix the lawn mower.

Looks like I'll have to find a new lawnmower, as the motor of the ancient Qualcast EasiTrak32 made some very worn-out sounds when last used a fortnight ago. Think the bearings are kaput

• RMweb Premium

Just enjoying a cup of tea and a lurk on ERs.

Patio has now been cleared of weeds, I've even levelled a few slabs that had a slight dip!

The pots that sit on it gave also been cleared of weeds and I've started on the border beside the path, so I think I've earned it.

Back later.

• Like 14

Greetings all from a crisp London Bridge.

The weekend was successfully negotiated, the Lurker boys ate my cooking without ill effect on Saturday and we visited my parents yesterday. Sounds like we have been "snubbed" this Christmas as my parents are visiting my sister and Mrs Lurker's are visiting her sister. Still, we shall have a good time unencumbered by house guestS!!

Have a good day all

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon from a sunny but slightly chilly south east corner.

Had to drop off a thank-you letter to the Stroke Consultant and return a 6-day heart monitor to the William Harvey Hospital at Ashford this morning and as parking at the hospital is a pita decided to use my wrinkly card and go for a ride on the bus. The No. 10 bus runs along the coast to Hythe after which it hangs a right and heads inland towards Ashford. The Channel was a millpond this morning with the French coast clearly visible - apart from many container ships looked as though there was also a drilling rig making its way down the Channel.

Dropped off everything at the hospital and was back on a bus to the coast within 20 minutes. The whole trip took just over a couple of hours but it cost me nothing and its a pleasant drive through the country lanes - even saw a farmer herding his flock of sheep from his pick-up truck assisted by a couple of dogs.

Attended the Folkestone MRC show on Saturday. In my view not as exciting as in previous years - the end-to-end layouts were interesting but the big roundy-roundy layouts seemed to be having problems - loads of stock in the fiddle yards, very little running, groups of operators huddled together and running around with soldering irons. Achieved my main aim in picking up some bits and pieces from Coastal DCC and Kent Garden Railways. In previous years rucksacks did not appear to be a problem but this year there were two over-sized rucksacks plus unconcerned owners making their way round the show.

Time now to get out into the garden......need to get some more work done on the garden feature before winter sets in.

Keith

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Looks like I'll have to find a new lawnmower, as the motor of the ancient Qualcast EasiTrak32 made some very worn-out sounds when last used a fortnight ago. Think the bearings are kaput

And the modern Qualcasts have only the name in common with their predecessors, being made in China and sold by Argos and Homebase under the Qualcast brand, that their after sales service is pretty non existent - ask me how I know all this!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Back tomorrow - totally cream crackered today as tasks domestic were pretty extensive.  I do love it when I'm told "there's a list on the worktop".  i just hammered on with them, in the hope that a new list won't appear tomorrow morning.

• RMweb Gold

Hmm - G word became work today with hedge and oak tree trimming; bin now full so all work has to stop (thank goodness, and the bin won't be emptied until next week).  A call from the north indicates a potential trip to Canada receding even further into the distance but not to worry it will be either a day visit to Telford or Port of Tyne as an alternative. If he were similarly blessed I reckon that would put Ian A's fortnight sessions in the Bahamas somewhere in the hurricane season :angel:

• Like 13