The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit fresher this morning but still high humidity but predicted to change by tonight. I was considering going to the Epping and Ongar diesel gala tomorrow (it's on 16-18th) but the weather does not look too great so it looks as if I'll leave it to Sunday. I've decided that I need a new trailer, the car is just too small to carry anything and I have a couple of large dioramas I will need to transport to shows. The trailer I'm looking at is small enough to go through a door and is fitted with a jockey wheel so in most cases it will just be a case of wheeling it into the venue. Thats all for now, be back later.

• Like 14

Having a busy evening, both on and off stage, was helpful. Apart from being with Ian, being in the theatre was the best possible place I could have been after receiving the unprovoked tirade. I was with people who have been unfailingly supportive to me since the divorce, besides extending a warm welcome to Ian. Some of them are like a second family and I'm lucky to have found such companionship.

I appreciate the large number of Friendly/Supportive ratings received in response to Ian's post. Thank you, kind people.

Sherry,

Is it not possible to get a phone set that identifies the caller (or at least the number)? I have one and very handy it is.

So, if I have not picked up the phone to any ER’s, now you know why...

My first Wife has been married 5 times since me - the first three of whom figured that I should be keeping them in the lap of luxury too.  Plonkers.

Good luck, Pete.

• Like 1

FIL in hospital again - this time pneumonia and fluid round the heart.

Next 48 hours critical.

We wait.

That’s not good for a gentleman of his age. Not for nothing is it called the “old man’s friend” over here

My daughter picked up pneumonia during her first week at Uni this year. Just as well she had all her meningitis jabs up to date....

I wish you and your family well, John.

Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Sherry,

Is it not possible to get a phone set that identifies the caller (or at least the number)? I have one and very handy it is.

So, if I have not picked up the phone to any ER’s, now you know why...

Good luck, Pete.

Our landline phone has caller ID but being lazy I have also programmed it to play a jolly calypso tune when MiL rings so I can call out to Aditi to let her know her Mum is calling.
  • Like 10

Our landline phone has caller ID but being lazy I have also programmed it to play a jolly calypso tune when MiL rings so I can call out to Aditi to let her know her Mum is calling.

My MiL was tuned to “Old MacDonald” - well, they did have a farm in Italy.....

Best, Pete.

After supplying next door's fencing contractor with numerous cups of tea and asking for a quote for some work for my own garden, I seem to have a slightly larger garden this morning.

I'm struggling to keep up with all the posts

Yes, that's the problem with generous fencing contractors.

Having a busy evening, both on and off stage, was helpful. Apart from being with Ian, being in the theatre was the best possible place I could have been after receiving the unprovoked tirade. I was with people who have been unfailingly supportive to me since the divorce, besides extending a warm welcome to Ian. Some of them are like a second family and I'm lucky to have found such companionship.

I appreciate the large number of Friendly/Supportive ratings received in response to Ian's post. Thank you, kind people.

Haven't you got her number in your phone/s under the contact name of "Ignore" ?

• Like 11

Blue skies here at London Bridge again but not quite as warm.

Not a lot to report here. Apparently I have to organise work experience for Elder Lurker. Or rather, he's not likely too so it was suggested I might like to do so....! A few questions to the right people in HR and we might get somewhere....

Otherwise not an awful lot to report.

Best wishes to those who are ailing and to those who are ale-ing and have a good day

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

There's an interesting article on the BBC News website about the use of Isinglass in Beer http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-37350233

I am not a vegetarian, but I still find the idea of fish guts in my beer rather off-putting.

Thank goodness for the German Reinheitsgebot!

Good job you didn't go for  Roman citizenship, Robert! 

I believe you'd have had to enthuse about this stuff:

2,000 year old garum
  1. Chop small fish into tiny pieces.
  2. Add fish eggs and the entrails of sardines and sprats.
  3. Beat together until they become an even pulp.
  4. Set mixture in sun to ferment, beating occasionally*.
  5. Wait six weeks or until evaporation has reduced the liquid content of the pulp.

6. Liberaliter serviant in rotundum adipem cibum! **

* I think they mean the sauce, not a passing slave. 

** Don't blame me, blame Google translate. :) 

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 1

There's an interesting article on the BBC News website about the use of Isinglass in Beer http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-37350233

I am not a vegetarian, but I still find the idea of fish guts in my beer rather off-putting.

Thank goodness for the German Reinheitsgebot!

I think you will find that Reinheitsgebot allows for finings to be added to clear the beer as they are removed by the filtering prior to the beer being racked. Technically it is not an ingredient as it is 100% removed. In fact the Germans use more Isinglass than the British do. All those nice perfectly crystal clear pilsners and lagers were pumped full of the stuff.

Personally I prefer unfiltered beer but Irish moss fined is a close second.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting Andrew - thanks for the clarification.

I must admit to being somewhat ignorant as to the process behind making beer!

I've always known that many beers have fines added to make them clearer (or to make them clear) - but what I didn't know is what fines were made from (and I worked in a brewery at one time).

• Like 9