The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Finally caught up, after a trip to Aldi as there's things that they sell which I can't get online from Morrisons (and anyway, the barrowful that I got would have been 20 quid dearer).

Greetings are, as usual, on offer to all.  Rain and possibly t-storm appear imminent.

Not a great deal to add today.

Back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 3

And all the trains are messed up.

Southeastern showing 50 minute delays due to signalling problems between Charing Cross and London Bridge, Lots of cancellations on Southern and Thameslink due to an earlier incident around Haywards Heath. Many of ours cancelled with our normal train home showing the inbound run from Horsham as delayed.

So sardines in this heat wont be much fun.

Edit - many Southeastern trains up to 90 minutes late

Glad I'm working from home. SWMBO on the other hand is not a happy bunny. Out of the 9 working days since the change over at LBG her train home as been cancelled 5 times and the other 4 have been short formed with very dangerous crush loading. Her plan tonight is the tube to West Ham and the DLR to Woolwich, then bus home. Just hope that TfL will accept her season ticket. That is a crap shoot in itself.

• RMweb Gold

I don't have a problem with cyclist they give these 2 a wide berth always.

attachicon.gifWP_20160514_14_26_53_Pro.jpg

Do you have them shackled to your dog carriage?

I used to have administrative reponsibility for an army dog section, and took the opportunity to help exercise then on many occasions. I can assure anyone reading this that when they get hold of you they will drag you off your feet!  Or in the case of the Rottie we had, just run up your back and flatten you.

And it hurts, even through the fang proof padding.

• Like 1

Yes I have just been appraised of the SE railway fun. One Sidcup train was running > 120 minutes late according to the LBG departure board

Even the Cannon Street trains are starting to show delays. My plan was to walk there and get a train.

Wrong kind of sun? Wrong kind of signals? Funny how the signals worked pretty well until they decided to upgrade it all ....

• RMweb Gold

Currently 32 with blazing sun in the boring borough. Shed's air con working overtime.

Currently coming down in stair rods accompanied by Blitzen himmel.

Thor is whacking his hammer as well.

Telfland micro climate at its very best.

The Obergrumpenfuhrer assures me it will be better by 1800, but a telephone call to a friend in Llanwrtyd Wells (SW of this loc) reveals he has much of the same which is blowing this way.

Perhaps she means 1800 tomorrow?

Fortunately the range was set up this morning, and I will not have to leave the marquee during this evenings shoot......................... Unless it floods!

Well, the thunder came and went; with a few big spots of rain. The Ocado delivery was delayed by 60 minutes due to bad weather further west, and the beer bottling was completed in record time, mainly because I used some litre bottles which I gained purely by accident.

First calculations suggest that this brew could be at least 8%.

A litre of 8% beer in December, seems like just the thing. Especially as I have 20 litres :)

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Yes I have just been appraised of the SE railway fun. One Sidcup train was running > 120 minutes late according to the LBG departure board

Even the Cannon Street trains are starting to show delays. My plan was to walk there and get a train.

Wrong kind of sun? Wrong kind of signals? Funny how the signals worked pretty well until they decided to upgrade it all ....

Probably the wrong kind of sun making the rails longer and causing problems with block joints causing track circuits to go down causing signals to stay red causing trains to get delayed causing the late trains to delay other trains until it all turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy of perpetual non-motion and - to use a technical term - the job's well and truly sh*gged.

I found the best thing about commuting to London was retirement.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Our train came in 12 late and only 8 coaches. Good job that I was thinking this could happen as people standing where we normally do couldn't physically get on with other services cancelled and I am talking of a lot of people who couldn't.

At least the air con is working in our coach unlike many non air con trains on Southeastern this evening

Edit

Just seen a girl get to the unmanned barriers at Purley, look round to see if any staff were looking then jump the barriers. Cameras all over the place but they don't stop people avoiding to have valid tickets

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Probably the wrong kind of sun making the rails longer and causing problems with block joints causing track circuits to go down causing signals to stay red causing trains to get delayed causing the late trains to delay other trains until it all turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy of perpetual non-motion and - to use a technical term - the job's well and truly sh*gged.

Perhaps they ought to paint the rails white?

Sou'wester, Seaboots Mae West.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all,

Lovely sunny start and it's forecast to stay that way and will be very hot.

We had a great trip to Swindon with Mr & Mrs Bob 81C and a good night out as well.  Nice to see Barry and I fear me talking to him may have caused a crash and derailment !  I really liked the layout though.

As for "needing" more models - er yes - that happened and I got a couple of bargains. A 28xx from Kernow and a County from the Hornby shop in the outlet village. The latter is a present from The Boss  :yes: so after being chipped and tested has been removed to be wrapped up for my birthday in December when I will of course be truly amazed and surprised. Since my first visit to Didcot 4 years ago and meeting Mike & Bob my GW loco stable has grown from just one pannier tank and now comprises over a quarter of my fleet. Their would appear to be no hope for me and I must now rearrange the storage shelves above the layout to accommodate the latest and future arrivals.

Have a good one,

Bob.

No problem, we had some major point switching failures as the brand new C94alt point switches are carp.

I managed to buy nothing* at Swindon as I had a mental list which no body had anything on.

Baz

* except for food and drink .. that Weybridge Mild was proper job stuff!

• Like 12

THE best thing about commuting to Cardiff was retirement.

I didn't have to pay the bridge toll after giving up the rail attempt, my carbon footprint fell by 75%, I had no delays, and I didn't get regular insults (in Welsh and English) during the evening from p1ssheads on Cardiff station and trains to Newport, just because I was wearing a suit.

Just as many Germans may have said 70 years ago (but in German of course) Spitfire 6 o'clock. It passed almost directly over the house just now after flying earlier about 15.30. I am wondering if its doing pleasure flights from Exeter. Wiĺl google later.

It piddled down again this afternoon. So to sum up, the alleged hottest September day has been thundery, wet, sunny, wet and humid

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Whilst our train wasn't very late into Redhill it was carnage. Platform 3 occupied by two empty units that looked like they had been split before being terminated.

Platform 1 had an empty Southern service in it and ours came into platform 2. The platform was wedged so getting off was difficult to say the least and we had to walk south and round to platform 1 to then walk back to the subway. However it took five invites to get down the steps as hundreds trying to get up to the platform no doubt herded off platform 3's terminated units many with cases. No attempt by the platform staff to try and control the crowds as it probably caught them out aswell. I was very nearly tripped over on the stairs and my other half fell onto me a few times. Luckily the barriers were left open so at least it didn't block up there aswell.

• RMweb Premium

and beer at Warley.. seems like a good idea as  I have organised a "demo table share" this year to go and have  a look at other people demonstrating.

lots of big locos to look at at the NEC.. and of course there is Mick.. who at the moment is a star!

Baz

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Luckily the barriers were left open so at least it didn't block up there aswell.

The Safety Case for barriers includes a requirement for them to be thrown open if crushes of people are about. I admit installing them at a few stations, but north of the River. 

A day working from home writing reports, proposals and OEM's. That was the easy bit.

I might as well have been in a sauna instead of my office and to cap it all the neighbour was having new windows fitted.

Belated Birthday Greetings to Beth

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

You could try putting it on yourself, of course.

Good god man!

Have you taken leave of your senses !!......

post-14122-0-66436700-1473792220.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Very hot today, 34 C. this afternoon and still 26.5. A bit cooler tomorrow by all accounts but we're in for a hot and sultry night by all accounts. Collected the new glasses today, much the same prescription but everything appears sharper due to the old specs having tiny scratches on the lens from cleaning.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We have had thunderstorms on and off since about 9 am they were promised to clear by lunchtime but continue to just before 5pm. I am hoping we have none tonight as the dog were terrified today.

Don