The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon all from the boring borough.

I'm too much of a gentleman to comment on OD's pj incident. Oh wait, no I'm not. Regular call to Sherry or "face"time??? Reminds me of when a mate emailed a football supporter's list instead of his fiancé. Oh what fun we had/have.

Today I have mostly been battling Murphy and his f*cking law. The tailgate window on the Landy is one of their worst design flaws ever. Suffice to say that after 14 years the mechanism gave up the ghost. The flaw is that you can't open the damn rear door without a working window. Replacement part ordered. Ripped the tailgate apart to find I couldn't reach the glass clamps without lowering the window first. Had to cut the old regulator cables and do it manually. Anyway, fast forwarding a couple of hours, I finally got the new mechanism and motor working. Reassemble all the plastic trim bits and then realise I'd forgotten to reconnect the defogger wires. Bother, or words to that effect. Time to recalibrate. That means disconnecting the battery. Pop the bonnet. Err not so fast, the release cable snaps. Oh bother again I don't say. Manage to release the bonnet with a pair of pliers. Disconnect battery, reconnect, window does its happy dance and all is good. Go to start the Landy. Battery not up to the job. Air in SE London is turning blue by now. Grab charger box. Oops not enough in that. Forgot to recharge it after neighbour borrowed it. More profanity ensues.

Meanwhile I'm now sitting on the patio and the second jug of Pimms is rapidly vanishing. I don't risk touching the module today with the fustercluck gods so p1ssed at mem for whatever reason.

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

An hour spent in Beer Kitchen b y Innis and Gunn in Dundee. Nice and quiet and some great beers by them plus a few guests.

Now sitting in first class on our way to Edinburgh. Well after using our delay repay with quite a few left over its only cost 6 quid each for the upgrade. Got another comment when using the vouchers at Aberdeen station today 'god your trains must be bad'. We don't even claim for all the delays either as we often find ways around but the strikes have added a lot of time to our journey so we do claim those for a start.

A neighbor down our road by chance happens to be on a canal boat heading for Edinburgh this evening so we may meet up for a few brews.

• Like 19

Sounds like a good script for a TV soap...............

Cheers,

Mick

(Come on you Hawks)

If I see that plot appearing in a play at a theatre in Babbacombe I will know where the idea came from.  It does sound pretty good. 

Are there any sayings about scorned Frenchmen?

• RMweb Gold

Today I have mostly been battling Murphy and his f*cking law. The tailgate window on the Landy is one of their worst design flaws ever.

Amazingly there are people on Land Rover websites (well the ones that allow mention of Freelanders) who complain that the Freelander 2 didn't persist with the opening tailgate window!

Tony

• Like 3

Amazingly there are people on Land Rover websites (well the ones that allow mention of Freelanders) who complain that the Freelander 2 didn't persist with the opening tailgate window!

Tony

obviously brain dead cockwombles that want their squishy bits fed into a grist mill. The yanks Sussed it in the 70's with the tail gates on station wagons. BMW (at the time) tried to be clever and failed. In 11 1/2 years it's the component that has given me the most grief.
  • Like 1

Was the car parked for while? Could a tire develop a temporary "flat spot"? (I've no idea if that's possible.)

EDIT: I asked Google, and apparently it can.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=42

I park my van with the front off side wheel on a "speedbump". Often it's parked like this for a week or sometimes two. I had occasion to drive down to Somerset from here in Hull and onroute the van developed a knocking noise. It took some finding but the problem was a small distortion in the tread pattern of the tyre on the said wheel, just in one place. Changing the wheel cured the noise.   

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

obviously brain dead cockwombles that want their squishy bits fed into a grist mill. The yanks Sussed it in the 70's with the tail gates on station wagons. BMW (at the time) tried to be clever and failed. In 11 1/2 years it's the component that has given me the most grief.

Someone else I know who had a first generation Freelander was more critical, though it didn't stop her replacing it with a BMW Mini!

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Well at 12.20 herself decides she would like to go to Swindon to visit a retailer in the outlet - but really too late to head that way so we decided to 'just go out and possibly visit a localish NT property.  when we got there the car park was full and the overflow car park wasn't much better so we left and herself then wondered what had happened to a place which used to be a sort of aviary.  I was pretty sure it had shut but the ride would be interesting so we re-crossed the river and took to the country lanes in the nice rolling edge of the hills north of the Goring Gap.  diverted down a side road to have a look and see if a pub I'd last been in about 50 years ago is still there and not only was it there but the car park was full so no excuse to stop and then headed for the bird place - which is closed and has been long since by the look of things.  Regrettably not only is it closed but a  GWR van body in a nearby farmyard has also gone.

Working out the way herself's mind might be heading I told her we'd head up to another road where I would turn left and, as I knew it would, that took us to the village of Nuffield which resulted in a request to visit Nuffield Place and have a cuppa - so we duly did, plus of course a walk around the house which is fascinating to visit (we've been before anyway).  Then home via Tesco - so a pleasant outing after all and sorry to have missed them what was at Swindon (but at least it saved Baz a few bob).

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Well at 12.20 herself decides she would like to go to Swindon to visit a retailer in the outlet - but really too late to head that way so we decided to 'just go out and possibly visit a localish NT property.  when we got there the car park was full and the overflow car park wasn't much better so we left and herself then wondered what had happened to a place which used to be a sort of aviary.  I was pretty sure it had shut but the ride would be interesting so we re-crossed the river and took to the country lanes in the nice rolling edge of the hills north of the Goring Gap.  diverted down a side road to have a look and see if a pub I'd last been in about 50 years ago is still there and not only was it there but the car park was full so no excuse to stop and then headed for the bird place - which is closed and has been long since by the look of things.  Regrettably not only is it closed but a  GWR van body in a nearby farmyard has also gone.

Working out the way herself's mind might be heading I told her we'd head up to another road where I would turn left and, as I knew it would, that took us to the village of Nuffield which resulted in a request to visit Nuffield Place and have a cuppa - so we duly did, plus of course a walk around the house which is fascinating to visit (we've been before anyway).  Then home via Tesco - so a pleasant outing after all and sorry to have missed them what was at Swindon (but at least it saved Baz a few bob).

Would the Bird place have been the Child Beale Trust I assume twixt Pangbourne and Streatly? I don't think they have birds there now. Although that wouldn't be north of the Goring Gap. I have walked from Streatly to the White horse at Uffington along the ridgeway good country.

Don

Don

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Trust me, I keep from you all sorts of stuff that would make your hair curl!

I just wish I had hair that you could make curl!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Late on parade again, but at last, all contrubutions read and rated - and also as usual, too much to offer indivdual comments, but you all know that I am generous with my generic greetngs.

Not a bad day here, and a trip to a car boot a bit further afield, as the only good one locally was cancelled.  Result was a few odds and ends for 30747, but a copy of Andrew Wright's "Swanage Branch in Colour" which is not really my bag any more, but was only two quid - when I got it home, I thought some idiot had defaced it by scribbling his name on the flyleaf, until I read it, and found it said Andrew P M Wright - RESULT, I think.  Also off another stall I got a copy of "The Romance of Scotland's Railways" by Pat Whitehouse and David St John Thomas, also for two quid.  Not such a bargain, as it turns up often at low prices, but a nice copy nonetheless.  Most of the afternoon was spent getting the pears off the tree in the garden, and bagging them up, then distributing them to anybody who wanted them - we had a very good crop this year, one of the best ever, but the "dwarf" tree is now about 14' tall.

Walkies time now calls, so back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Just about managed to get these photos at Edinburgh Waverley as a late running Virgin East Coast was in the platform We were on.

6100 looking good there Ian - watch it though as her Debship is at home now, and might turn up at any time.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I just wish I had hair that you could make curl!

I needed some shampoo. None of the labels on the bottles in Waitrose seemed to describe my hair so I ended up with the only one that mentioned "normal" hair as that seemed nearest that to thinning white.

• Like 2

I have always used Colgate to brush my teeth. Now, when I go into Tesco's I am faced with a wall of different sorts of Colgate. I can get cavity protection, whitening, sensitive and Lord knows what. I am sure all of these things are desirable, so why not include them all in one? They could call it Colgate.

Ed

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Should have eaten your crusts as a child.  Though I fear you are implying it's too late now!

Can I suggest a Trump peluka.

Nah, I just don't like shredded wheat! Especially when worn like that!

Anyway it's far too late! BTW, I did eat my crusts when I was a kid too!

It's said that grass doesn't grow on a busy street, mine must be the s0dding M25!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

My hair was thinning until a couple of years ago. I had some blood tests and it was noticed that my vitamin D levels were very low. So the endocrinologist put me on vitamin D3 supplements, quite a lot in fact. So even now they are low but not very low! Now not only can I grow lovely nails I am convinced my hair is thicker and returning to the thinning bit of my head.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

Back from the wanderings and musings. Even managed to find time to do a couple of watercolour sketches.

Only a shortish low level walk today. The scenery is often more beautiful from lower levels and lakesides than it is from the high tops.

I am now sitting enjoying a slice or two of Bryson's Lakeland Plumbread.

• Like 19