The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I have a BEng(Hons) in Electronic Engineering, and am a CEng MIET.

However, I wouldn't be where I am now if it weren't for vocational training.  Before the degree, I did an HND because my A-level results weren't good enough to get me straight into an Engineering degree.  It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

• Like 13

The predicted late start and early finish actually happened. Something is bound to go wrong now.

Apprenticeships. Unfortunately when the majority of us did them, they were worth the piece of paper at the end and every employer knew that an expected level had been achieved. Now, for example, we are having electricians coming to us for jobs and all they have is these NVQ's which means that they know how the job should be done in the classroom but not in the real world on site.

In my particular industry there are apprenticeships for alarm engineers which focus on security but none that do the same for fire alarms. There are fundamental differences in the standards for both of these.

Time to write a few reports.

Back later

• RMweb Gold

My brother didn't do well enough in his A levels and a friend pointed out an advert in the local newspaper from GEC looking for people in his exam grade (lack of really) position who were interested in telecommunications to join their technician apprentice scheme. At the end of four years they had the opportunity to apply for the same posts as those who had been on the sponsored university degree "sandwich" course. He went off to Nigeria, where promotion was rapid due to the number of colleagues going down with various tropical diseases.

Tony

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

It's just about raining, and I'm just about caught up now, and as usual, there's too much to cover on an indivdual basis, but rest assured that all of your posts have been read and rated.  Greetings are, as usual, on offer to all who are ailing/celebrating, or whatever else that might need to be greeted.

Just come off the phone to my fuel supplier, as their meter reader came into the porch without permission, then came round to the back of the house, and through two gates, again without permission, into "Lily's" garden.  Luckily she was indoors at the time, but we've raised a formal complaint about his actions.

Not a lot more to report, so

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Hi Geoff, I see you're lurking - how's the ankle?

I never did an apprenticeship, but my brother went the apprentice/HND route, five years on the shop floor, and then a qualified engineer in the auto industry.

At my last employer, they fast track graduates until they are promoted at least two grades above their abilities, regardless of what abilities they have (or don't have). 

Oh yes, and just an update on my annual review for my diabetes, the numbers are a but better that I'd expected, and if I do a little more on the diet, should be even better - oddly, my cholesterol reading is incredibly low, to the extent that I may ask the Dr to cut the dose on my statin to minimise side effects.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 3

My ankle is a lot better for resting it for a day. Didn't do any standing except for frying our bacon and egg brunch. Cloudy and windy here so not sure what to do tomorrow when we have to move on. I also served a five year apprenticeship in a textile mill as fitter/turner. That caused some problems when I was encouraged to join the AEU union. "You can't be a fitter and a turner, that's two men's jobs, so decide which you want to be". That was my introduction to union politics although it made no difference at work. I got through my working life by ignoring it anyway.

Stay safe all.

I did an academic subject (Chemistry), but always struggled with some of the theoretical stuff and was more comfortable with the practical stuff. This has continued for the 40 years since. As a Health and Safety manager I saw a lot of people with all the theoretical qualifications, but pretty much useless in applying them to real life situations.

It is chucking it down here today and blowing a gale. Absolutely foul, and we are about off to Cockermouth for a meal with relatives. It could be a wet outing.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

My ankle is a lot better for resting it for a day.

Good one Geoff.

When you get back the street lights have been "up" down graded to LED and we have got pale bluish white light instead of orange - I think your end of the road was done as well.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Evening, back in my normal world now after a hectic three + weeks with friends arriving from Australia to stay with us and the job of helping sort the flat in Manchester my youngest had recently bought.

I was quite happy to help paint here and there but soon found myself working as a joiner/plumber/ electrician/locksmith and plasterer not to mention removals man ie frequent visits to the tip!

Throw in guests with trips here and there and copious amounts of vino (assesed by the wheelie bin contents) I am happy to get back to normality, indeed today a pleasurable afternoon was had playing in the shed with a new loco said son bought me as a thankyou.

Obviously I have missed loads on here, I hope lots of occasions which merited a well done/congratulations and hopefully not to many occasions warranting commiseration.

Enjoy your weekend!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good morning to all.

Off to the local model railway shop after work to see what tempts me.....could be messy......deserve a treat.

Anyway, a cup of Darjeeling awaits as do some eggs on toast.

Creme de Menthe to all.

Rob.

Well, by way of an update, I would report the following,

A Bachmann Midland 1F 0.6.0T, an ex S.R 'Pill box'brake van in bauxite and a copy of MRJ.......I consider myself treated....

Rob..

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. About 25-30 years ago I was involved with the Youth Training Scheme. luckily for the young people involved my employer, a London Borough treated the scheme as a training scheme and not as a source of free labour. Many of the young people were placed with departments within the council such as the building services and many that showed an aptitude for the work were taken on as apprentices despite not having all of the academic qualifications, sometimes within a few weeks of starting. It was a win/win situation, the young person would eventually gain a vocation and the employer could 'cream off' the most suitable trainees. In fact between 80 and 90% of the youngsters found employment this way. Inevitably there were a few who could not be/didn't want to be helped but they tended not to be on the scheme for long. I wonder if such a scheme would be as useful today, if it was administered properly.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening to most, morning to some.

Layout now works. Hotel room acquired, beer drunk and food eaten.

I, like Robert, ama CEng MIET.

I note that some employers seem to have relaxed the need for being CEng (and some e!ploynon engineers to manage engineering programme.

I can also say I uav always valued colleagues who have gone down the vocational route as their practical knowledge interlocks with my theoretical knowledge.

But the One institutions seen blind to this diving down a route prescrib d by academe and people with lots type connection to real, hands on, engineering.

This is a problem but unless the attitude towards engineers sees fundamental change (perhaps more appreciation of what impact engineers have may be a start) the Peter principle will continue.

Sleep well/have a nice day

Baz

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

POETS day was accomplished, getting home just after 2:00, in plenty of time for a mid afternoon cuppa. Grandkids fed, watered, wound up and sent back home. This was followed by an evening with a bottle of red and a DVD.

Stewart. Great news with your blood results.

Jamie. Hope Beth and her Dad go on OK.

BoD. Enjoy you weekend in the Lake District.

Geoff. Glad to hear your ankle has improved.

Duncan. Enjoy Woking tomorrow.

Time for bed now.

Goodnight all.

• Like 9

Evening all.

Character-building journey - never seen autoroutes so packed. Got is and sat in the garden with a nice bottle of red, and then nodded off, so now unable to sleep. I'll read the 4 pages of posts since this morning later!

Car good, except...  wheel wobble at 60-80mph plus vibration when braking. Wheel wobble I understand as the wheels were off for the steering repair when Matthew had it, but the vibration when braking? Any suggestions? Tomorrow I'll check the wheel nuts are all tight - I've had that experience before.

Also - has anyone got any experience of toll-tags? You know, the electronic doofers which mean you can sail through toll booths? More specifically has anyone fitted one to a Volvo V70?

Sleep tight.

• Like 13

Good Evening all!

Spent most of the evening 'designing' the next phase of my house network(s)!

Evening to most, morning to some.
Layout now works. Hotel room acquired, beer drunk and food eaten.

I, like Robert, ama CEng MIET.

I note that some employers seem to have relaxed the need for being CEng (and some e!ploynon engineers to manage engineering programme.

I can also say I uav always valued colleagues who have gone down the vocational route as their practical knowledge interlocks with my theoretical knowledge.
But the One institutions seen blind to this diving down a route prescrib d by academe and people with lots type connection to real, hands on, engineering.

This is a problem but unless the attitude towards engineers sees fundamental change (perhaps more appreciation of what impact engineers have may be a start) the Peter principle will continue.

Sleep well/have a nice day

Baz

As a BSc (Hons) in Mech and Control Engineering, whilst I know about the CEng bit (and decided not to go there, even though my late father was for most of his life), MIET is a new one on me. Is it anything like Eur Ing or Dipl Ing that I recall from the early 2000's? I was AMIMechE unitl 2007. (In 1986, I very nearly gained an MSc in Control Engineering, too!)

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I haven't been on for a few days as I've been a bit stressed helping Mrs mole do her PIP claim which was posted today. Not as stressed as she is though. As she's quite active socially and musically she's terrified of losing her Motability car.

Martyn started sixth form college yesterday; he seems fine so far. There's a lot of slack built into the timetable so once the courses really get going he'll be able to do a lot of the 'homework' at college rather than at home.  

I found a useful bunch of railway books in charity shop earlier; my unread stack is growing faster than I can get through them

I had a guy round this evening to sort out a will; it took nearly three hours and I hadn't eaten and was tired, so when he went I went for pork pie, cheese sandwich  and cider rather than spend time doing a healthy meal. Healthy can wait until Sunday; tomorrow is Swindon, all being well.

I am cuddling a large wolf over 3ft long. You don't argue with him. My bed is calling so as I have to be up at a sensible time (for a Saturday) I'll wish you all goodnight and wish Debs a speedy recovery.

Pete

Also - has anyone got any experience of toll-tags? You know, the electronic doofers which mean you can sail through toll booths? 

The ones I have experienced - our own here in Greater Vancouver and those in Houston, Texas - are simply mounted by sticking them (self-adhesive) on the front windshield, just below the mounting point for the rearview mirror. Tag circled in red in pictures below:

post-1771-0-68030800-1473463287.jpg

post-1771-0-63044500-1473463290.jpg

Thanks. The problem with the Volvo is a large blacked-out area with a rain sensor behind it. I'm not clear if that will block the signal.

Here's a discussion about mounting these tags on Volvo -  

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?45446-Where-to-put-ez-tag-toll-pass-on-windshield

and a more general one about "non-standard" cars - 

http://www.ezpassin.com/wp-content/uploads/Transponder_Mounting_Instructions.pdf

(Remember, these will be for left-hand drive vehicles.)

Car good, except...  wheel wobble at 60-80mph plus vibration when braking. Wheel wobble I understand as the wheels were off for the steering repair when Matthew had it, but the vibration when braking? Any suggestions? Tomorrow I'll check the wheel nuts are all tight - I've had that experience before.

Also - has anyone got any experience of toll-tags? You know, the electronic doofers which mean you can sail through toll booths? More specifically has anyone fitted one to a Volvo V70?

The vibration while braking is most likely due to "glazing" of the surfaces of the front discs resulting in cyclic variation in the friction between the discs and the pads. It can be fixed by resurfacing the discs, sometimes while the discs are still on the car, and installing new brake pads. It's an annoying problem, but the brakes are probably quite effective, so you might not need to be in a hurry to fix it.

I had a toll reader thingy on my V70 in California but that was ten years ago. I believe they are all RF (radio) devices, so it should work if it's anywhere on the windshield. The glass should not block the signals.

Edit: I think I mounted it on the windshield in front of the rear-view mirror, but I'm a bit hazy about that.

Edited by AndyID