The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

There is. This is just the first step.

I also have to do a language test in November, and then fill out copious quantities of paperwork.

I had a go at the British one a few years ago and did dismally. They have a newer version now and that seemed better. A couple of Aditi's cousins went to the new citizen celebration recently. They found the event very disappointing. Clearly the powers that be intend new citizens to get used to " how we do stuff here" quite quickly.

Is the language test difficult? Some years ago Aditi did some Institute of Linguists exams in German (just for fun, not work) and had to discuss and answer questions about nitrogen fixation in crops as a topic.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6

If you have access to a colour laser printer you could try a few sheets of paper fromhttp://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/.-Laser-Water-Slide-Decal-Paper_155.htm

They do ink jet transparency too but you have to spray the product with varnish to waterproof it. I suppose it depends how much time and money you are prepared to invest before giving in and going for a professional product!

I have some, but I need gold and white, so it will have to be a professional job...

Morning all

Damp here expected to last for a few hours.

Robert - good luck with your German citizenship test - if you pass does it mean that you get a German passport?

Unusual day today: wedding this afternoon at 3.30pm in centre of town, but before it at 1.30pm have my first annual CT scan, so will look unusually smart at the hospital! Wedding followed by drinks and smorgasbord at local Swedish pub. Herring and aquavit, then!

Out for a walk yesterday on a very warm evening - at the children's spider-web climbing frame (where we saw loads of swifts gathered last week) were around 20 magpies. What do 20 magpies mean? We got stuck after seven for a secret never to be told (and how silly is that?). Anyone know the collective noun for magpies? I know it's a murder of crows. Was wondering about a hanley of magpies, maybe, or perhaps a mickrobertson (am confusing Wheeltappers Blue Peter thread here, apologies).

Nice to see you here Dave (WW) - just don't mention the war... or Brexit!

Have a good day all

Mal

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Presumably 20 magpies means 5 boys, or 6 and two thirds girls.  We have shopped - in Tesco of all places but the good Doctor forgot her lunchtime snack so it made sense to go there.  However Mrs Stationmaster bought some meat so this could be a very interesting, or disastrous, experiment as based on past experience we don't normally touch their meat (although the 'Finest' bacon is pretty good).

Bit cooler today so the hedge is tempting, er maybe - but the bin is fairly full so perhaps not.  And I do need to have a  re-look at one section of the Ratty Rule Book but it might be sensible to wait for their reaction on the latest stuff before going into that in case they want what I have in mind somewhere else  (which then needs to the tangle of trying to get all the cross-references right with several documents open on the screen at the same time.

Have a good day one and all

• Like 2

My quick site visit was but the traffic definitely wasn't.

For some reason the slip road onto the A3 that I use and is normally 2 lanes is down to one for road works. These have been going on for weeks, so why do they have to wait for the schools to go back and the traffic gets heavier before closing one lane?

Robert - Good luck

• RMweb Gold

I have some, but I need gold and white, so it will have to be a professional job...

Then in that case it doesn't seem unreasonable. Hopefully your artwork will make full use of the sheet Interestingly I now note that Oki have a colour laser(not at all cheap) that prints white. I suspect this was after no one could find any remaining stocks of white dye cartridges for earlier non laser printers.

Actually I thought the branding for your railway woukd have included fine octarine lining.

• Like 9

Is the language test difficult?

Challenging, I would say.  It is to the CEFR level B1 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages)

I have done the mock test and some of the questions are quite subtle - you need to really understand to get the answer right.

The test itself is an all day affair (takes place on a Saturday) and has a reading and listening comprehension part, a grammar part, a written part and an oral part.

To be honest, I am more worried about this test, than the citizenship test.  I have been told by quite a few people that it shouldn't be a problem with my German at the level it is - but you don't really know until you have the piece of paper in your hand!

Robert - good luck with your German citizenship test - if you pass does it mean that you get a German passport?

Not directly - After the citizenship test, the language test, and the paperwork, I can submit an application.  There is no guarantee that it will be accepted.

My best case scenario is that I will be granted dual citizenship - but Germany only allows dual citizenship for countries within the European Union.  As far as the information goes at present, that should be Ok provided the dual citizenship is granted before the UK officially and finally leaves the union.  However, nobody knows for sure due to a complete lack of clarity on the issues of Brexit.

Nice to see you here Dave (WW) - just don't mention the war... or Brexit!

Bl00dy Brexit!

Edited by Robert

• RMweb Gold

Morning most , evening to some.

It seems that while attacking the paintwork on the garage door frame I have got some dust in my eye..result is a very sore eye which I will bathe in a saline solution.

Some cricket to score today. Could be a tad wet so something to read will be taken along too.

Our meeting last night was long winded and took 2.5 hours to complete. Outcomes varied but isn't that what cricket is all about (think leading horse to water...)

Another meeting tonight which may be quicker and could get messy (someone is about to find out what happens when you go back on your agreements - could be an interview without coffee for them)

Have a nice day/evening. Off to Swindon tomorrow to the Exhibition at Steam. My task is loading real coal into O gauge coal wagons..should be fun!

Baz

That sounds like one of Owen and John's layouts. I can remember being told off for mixing wagons that came from different valleys. If it is them give them my regards.

Don 

Edited by Donw
  • Like 10

Morning all.

Robert, good luck with the test. Was it the referendum result that prompted you to take it? My ex-wife (Italian) was frightened by the result and has done the UK test and now got UK citizenship. She was really scared of being deported.

A visit to the podiatrist this afternoon and an INR blood test. Nowt else to report.

Best wishes

Ed

My best case scenario is that I will be granted dual citizenship - but Germany only allows dual citizenship for countries within the European Union.  As far as the information goes at present, that should be Ok provided the dual citizenship is granted before the UK officially and finally leaves the union.  However, nobody knows for sure due to a complete lack of clarity on the issues of Brexit.

Bl00dy Brexit!

Doesn’t matter what the Germans say, you cannot renounce British Citizenship.

Best, Pete.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

When we lived in Arizona insurance was not required. It still isn't in New Hampshire (not to be confused with New Hempshire, AKA Washington) and Virginia.

Motor insurance is not required here.  State arrangements vary.  It is, of course, always advisory as it offers a large amount of protection from loss and liability.  Without insurance one is open to an unlimited claim and all the unpleasant consequences of unsettled debt.

Having spent ten years managing motor insurance claims it was surprising how many people with insurance felt they were in a spot of bother because the at-fault party was uninsured.  With comprehensive cover it matters not; the insurer will pursue the individual rather than an inter-company settlement.

In other news

SWMBO received a phone call from the UK tonight as we were walking into the movies for our night out.  She has, after all, been summoned to Kew for a face-to-face interview with the prospective employer paying the air fare and half the accommodation costs.  It seems they are determined they want her and will have to arrange interviews for both top candidates in order to justify employing the Aussie.  And then deal with the paperwork and legalities.  Ho hum.  

Following the movie I can report on the newly-released "Sully" which I understand has yet to be released elsewhere.  No spoilers will be provided.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Best, Pete.

German passports are the world's most useful when it comes to visa free travel.

Matthew was at Schipol recently and some UK passport holders were convinced they needed to be in the "other" queue with the Americans and Turks as we had "left the EU".

I looked at the language levels on the Wikipedia page Robert linked to. Matthew has mentioned this before when he was looking at possibility of careers in the EU that required proficiency in two languages. When he was applying to do masters courses in Stockholm there was doubt about whether his GCSE English was adequate! Though thanks to his travels he can probably order a beer and a local snack in most European languages (though he still has Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia to visit) . At the moment he is Cork, living with Croatians and interviewing Poles. I wondered what will happen to his accent by Christmas!

• Like 15

Aft'noon all,

Best regards to any that ail

Pleased to report that Is has now been scattered at each of her favourite viewpoints....I've carried out the last of her wishes. A trip to the St. Davids area with our best man & his wife this last weekend was concluded with evensong in the cathedral.

My new life in retirement is progressing. The narrowboat has had a full survey ashore and will have some minor remedial work done before we set sail. The house is sold and the last legal details are being sorted now.....  

post-7795-0-57239400-1473335176.jpg

post-7795-0-47253700-1473334460.jpg

Many of Is's friends are stopping by to collect a keepsake from her various ornaments etc....just to remember her by

Meal out with church friends tonight

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 8

Funnily enough, I thought that too, but the Government website appears to indicate otherwise.

https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-nationality/overview

Robert, good luck with the test. Was it the referendum result that prompted you to take it? My ex-wife (Italian) was frightened by the result and has done the UK test and now got UK citizenship. She was really scared of being deported.

It was the referendum that finally forced me to actively do something about it.  I has always been something that I intended to do "at some point" but never got around to.

The trouble is, nobody really knows, or has a clue what is going to happen - including, it would seem, the very Government who came up with the idea.

Though thanks to his travels he can probably order a beer and a local snack in most European languages (though he still has Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia to visit) .

A friend of mine, who is learning it, recently said that Hungarian is a language unrelated to anything else in the current universe.

• Like 1

A friend of mine, who is learning it, recently said that Hungarian is a language unrelated to anything else in the current universe.

It's related to Finnish, and may be a survivor from before the advent of Indo-European in Europe at the end of the ice age.

• Like 1

Probably not surprising as unlike most of the languages of Western Europe, it belongs in its own branch of the Finno-Ugric language family (apparently now called the Uralic language family- I just checked I had got the name right).

EDIT Smiffy beat me to it

Edited by The Lurker
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The origin of the saying "Houston - we have a problem !"

Dave (Supersonic of this parish) has a story to tell about one of his colleagues who got a bad attack of the trots whilst piloting a fast jet and trussed up in a G suit. Apparently there is a protocol for such situation which involves a sharp knife and a hose whilst standing on somewhere with a drain.

Jamie

• Like 4