The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I was in a wheelchair during the Summer of 1982 (just an injury to my right leg after falling down a hill whilst carrying someone)   what I remember most is this:

I spent the time at my folks house in Shenfield. If someone volunteered to take me out for a walk and we met someone who knew me; over half would ask my pusher “How is he doing today?” (or similar) as if I had suddenly turned into a drooling idiot...

The reply (from me) was along the lines of “He’s doing fine with the extra work but I have to buy him a couple of pints at the “Bird and Baby” - which is where we inevitably wound up.

It’s a real eye opener, really.

Best, Pete.

Late on parade as usual so a belated 'morning all' from me,

Rest Day today so up with the lark and straight into 'chores mode' with gusto : namely, another tip run... it doesn't matter how many times you do it there's always something you've forgotten to take when you come home. Today's lesson soon learnt is that a largish old armchair (much chewed by various felines and thus falling to bits) won't go into the boot of an Alfa Giulietta without removing the coverings and sawing the bloody wooden frame in half. It's not that the boot is small, it's just that the opening is very small! Result = a comical ten minutes of sawing, shuffling, squeezing, sighing, heaving and more sawing until the damned thing went in. Bernard Cribbins would have been so proud... ''one each end and steady as we go...''!

Tip run accomplished, mess cleaned up, brew drunk, now need to fill the space in the back parlour where said scruffy old armchair once languished... I wonder if a secondhand Maserati will fit...? ;) 

Stay safe all.

• Like 18

Dentist in the afternoon, so, wish me strength...  :O

Dentist yesterday, came away with one less tooth than I went in with.  Knowing Dom's dislike of dentists, I won't go into the gory details, but I'm still eating "mush".

Off to London to book Bruckner at the Southbank, buy the latest MRJ at Ian Allen, possibly book some German lessons and end up at a diocesan meeting.

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Ballarat? I thought it was a siding at New Crorss (sic) Gate.

Deb spent more than 6 months in a rehab hospital at Le Mans. They had 30 physiotherapists. There was a positively tough regime, with every patient expected to be in the gym or the pool at 0900, and still there at midday. Back at 1400 until 1700. No-one other than staff was allowed into those facilities to watch progress. 

People in wheelchairs are wheelchair-users. They don't sleep in them, merely use them to get around in the same way you and I use our legs. Squatting down and looking the user in the eye is the best way to converse with them. The pusher is just that!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hey, I'm so pleased to see some really positive posts about what used to be known as disability.  In fact, under the strict terms of the Disability Discrimination Act, I too fall into that category, through my diabetes. 

I worked for four years in the charitable sector, and suffered incredible episodes of Political Correctness, both over race, and disability.  I also worked with a number of organisations working with people with impared vision, and one organisation as part of their staff induction made all new staff wear a totally obscuring eye shield, as that was a very good way to learn just what somebody with no sight would encounter on a daily basis.  Also, one organisation which supported people who had lost a limb, made new staff spend a day in a wheelchair.  To my knowledge I have never addressed a wheelchair user through their attendant.

• Like 15

I was in a wheelchair during the Summer of 1982 (just an injury to my right leg after falling down a hill whilst carrying someone)   what I remember most is this:

I spent the time at my folks house in Shenfield. If someone volunteered to take me out for a walk and we met someone who knew me; over half would ask my pusher “How is he doing today?” (or similar) as if I had suddenly turned into a drooling idiot...

The reply (from me) was along the lines of “He’s doing fine with the extra work but I have to buy him a couple of pints at the “Bird and Baby” - which is where we inevitably wound up.

It’s a real eye opener, really.

Best, Pete.

This reminds me of the short time that I spent in a wheelchair after breaking my leg, when aged 8.

Because the fracture was both bones above the ankle, the doctors did not want me to add any pressure on the leg for a few weeks afterwards and I was instructed not to try and do any movement until they had x-rayed the setting and once it looked ok they would give me a "walking plaster" afterwards.

It may have been pinned for the 6 days that I was in hospital, but I dont remember any pinning once I had been allowed home, just a large plaster which came up to the top of my knee. They provided me with a wheelchair. 

To make matters worse (my parents must have *loved* me!!), five days after leaving hospital we moved house and this meant starting at a new school where I knew no one. Around the house I had quickly learned to hop short distances on my "good" leg, and so I was not completely immobile, but the school was half a mile away so my mother pushed me there in a wheelchair.

It was bad enough with all the parents staring and ushering their children clear of me, but when the entire playground came to a sudden halt and just stared in my direction the stress was too much and I just burst into tears; so much so that my mother pushed me home again after speaking to one of the staff, and I had another day off.

The next day, I had been primed to ignore all the gawping and was delivered into the school hall for assembly in the wheelchair. I was amazed at the attitude of the teachers. Nothing was too much trouble for them, they pushed me around the classroom, found me pencils, crayons, exercise books. I had never been treated like that before by any teachers, and I couldn't believe my luck.

However later that afternoon, while the teacher had left the room for a short time and we had been told to get on with some work, the end of my pencil broke and realising that the sharpener was on a bench only a few yards from me, I hopped over to it and was standing there on one foot when the teacher returned. Obviously the staff had not understood that I could move short distances when required; and from that point on their whole demeanour changed.

There was no more "let me do that for you", or "I'll push you there"; it was back to normal. I was left under no illusions that if I wanted something, I had to get it myself or go without.

Still, it was great while it lasted.

Morning all. Back to work today after the three day weekend <yawn>.

Much modeling yesterday, which was a great opportunity, with two significant problems;

i) Fitting a variety of steps, brake linkage and cylinder drains to MN/WC locos. What the HELL is it with this stuff. Some seems to stick right on, some (same parts, same glue) won't stick for beans! I fought with one set for hours - I pity the more casual purchaser/young modelers who expects to just add the parts "easily".

ii) Then, engaging "idiot mode" I set about a brief running session before replacing a long crossing with a single slip.

Right at the end of the session, I removed two locos to get them clear of were I was going to work, placed them on the baseboard (i.e. NO electrical contact whatsoever), then was going to check the running over the crossing with an 0-6-0 so I could "prove" the single-slip was better when installed. Instant SHORT on the system. NOTHING else had been touched, that I knew about!

No Amount of putzing seemed to clear it and I started to dismantle the track diagram/panel behind which are the connectors/routings for the various bus sections. Expecting to be there "forever" figuring out what section the short was on, I turned my main switch from layout to OFF, and the system came on and stayed on. THEN I noticed the Powercab was set to my 2-BIL, speed step 1. The 2-BIL was at the far end of a platform behind the 4-CEP and on looking I saw it had managed to push the 4-CEP JUST onto the frog end of a point that was set AGAINST the track. Problem solved :jester: however NOT before a lot of complaining, wailing and expectation of dismantling the entire layout bus. I'm not sure I'd still be here and sane had I NOT noticed the reason for the short before taking the entire bus down sector at a time to find the fault! :O

Only other item of significance was our travelling companion Jerry managed to pass out in his kitchen Sunday late afternoon (unknown reason, possibly blood pressure related as he'd just got up from a nap) and ding himself pretty substantially on the granite kitchen counter! Looks like he's been in one hell of a punch-up!

All checked out OK, but he's got a huge shiner that'll last a while - and we're all now joking about having to explain away his looks to all and sundry on our up-coming trip starting Friday! Be interesting as we cross into Canada and they check his passport and try to determine whether he's an impostor or not :scratchhead:

Today, working and also taking the Mrs over for a follow-up blood test for her ongoing high liver enzyme situation. We also have a daytime visitor this week, dog sitting Trevors fiancées dog. We're now a doggy daycare.

Heavy thunderstorm in the early hours producing 1.5 inches of rain, 22 now and overcast with more rain expected all day, heavy at times. High maybe 26

Hope Tuesday looms brighter for those needing the ray of sunshine.

• RMweb Premium

Dont forget we had a member of ER who had the use of one hand and whose modelling would put a lot to shame. Saying someone should not do or be seen doing what they want to do is positively victorian

I rember Don with fondness as well

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

We have just had a long chat with Matthew as he wandered through Cork.

He did get a less pink duvet cover yesterday, black with foliage patterns was his chosen design. He popped into the University today to see what facilities he could use as a visitor and was made very welcome by admin staff, academics and other geography students.  He has been to visit the Polish charity group where he will be doing some volunteer work and helped draft a submission to one of the EU funding bodies. I suspect his knowledge of European educational funding jargon will be useful! Matthew seems happy in Ireland. He didn't like his time at the LSE and the group projects in Utrecht drove him to despair but doing his individual research should be less stressful.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9

An interesting day meeting various engineers and updating them on new practices. At least all of the changes were met with enthusiasm.

I got home earlier and although not planned, I managed to inspect my eyelids for just over an hour.

Rick - I totally agree with every word

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

HEy up

paintwork attacked

windowsills demossed and cleaned

ironing done

shopping undertaken

some modelling (painting and lining) undertaken

tea in oven....

I regard everyone as a person. The paralympics are great as they show a set of people who train hard, have a high work ethic and do as well as they can to be the best at their chosen sport while being given a levelish playing field to do so. Good on all paralympians and I hope they have a great time.

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

One of my very good friends (and rmwebber) worked with various paralympians over his time at British Cycling. He considers them more determined and focussed than the likes of Hoy, Wiggins or Cavendish - and that's really saying something.

I had the utmost privilege of talking to Rachel Morris who was at a training camp based from wife's work, before Beijing 2008. She suffers from CRPS after an injury whilst snowboarding and has had both legs amputated as a result. She went on to win the gold in the handcycle time trial  You couldn't meet a nicer, humbler, but equally determined and focussed young lady. She sat and chatted to Junior NB (9yo at the time)and her cousin for ages before disappearing off on her hand cycle. When she came back after about 50 miles of the hills around our way, she went for 5 mile jaunt in her wheelchair. As a result of this inspiration, Junior NB took up some serious swimming and competed up to county level. Her cousin has just been offered a football scholarship in the USA.

Just before London 2012, whilst training,she was run over by a car that seriously affected her preparation for the Paralympics. She will compete in Rio as a rower, having already won a silver at the rowing world champs last year.

People like her are superhumans in my book.

I will be watching the Paralympics as much as possible to see more superhumans doing their best against adversity.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Robbie didn't get his annual booster jabs today. He came home with antibiotics, anti inflammatory/pain relief medication. I said to the vet that I was concerned he had become unwell last night and wouldn't even eat a biscuit or his dinner until I added warm water. Amazingly he opened his mouth for the vet and she was able to see some inflammation on the back of his mouth. Even I could see it.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Cats duly shorn - without too much agonising on their part, homemade tomato soup consumed at lunch time, a goodly part of the afternoon was spent attacking the public side of the front hedge and the small oak tree which grows through and above it with a  reasonable result but masses more to do as there's an awful lot of both.

Swindon trip Sunday agreed by the management who has gracefully declined the offer to accompany me - all I will need to do is smuggle in any 'shopping'  (and in case you missed it elsewhere - 'yes please' Baz)

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Cats duly shorn ...

all I will need to do is smuggle in any 'shopping'

It took me about 30 minutes to dig the burrs out of Robbie's leg fur after our walk the through the park down to the creek by the station. I thought I was going to have to resort to scissors but he was uncharacteristically cooperative.

I don't have to smuggle stuff in, Aditi always wants to see what I have bought from exhibitions and seems disappointed if I haven't got something.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Richard (HH) got it right, its for cleaning the gaps in block paving. I have a particular problem with my front path as the house faces due north and except in the height of summer receives no sun. I have a friend, a sometime railway modeller who is a wheelchair user and spending even a few hours with him is an eye opener. The two bains of using a wheelchair are fine gravel and dogs mess, the first because it creates drag and the second because when propelling yourself along your hands are close to the wheel rim and if the wheel picks some up...