The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all from the village that managed to stay north of Ikea despite my absence in Telfland for the weekend.  We git back about 9.30, unloaded the lorry then I took the lorry back.  The embugerance is that Beth had fallen in the early hours of Sunday and not been able to get up for an hour.  Later in the day she realised that her wrist hurt and then spent the evening at the hospital where she was told that she'd broken her scaphoid 5th time in the last few years.

The wrist is now in a splint and she has to go back on Friday but in the meantime I'm head cook, chauffer etc.  A different hospital visit plus Asda took up the morning and then a friend called at lunchtime and I've only just had time to sit down and look at the computer.  

generic greeting to all and Sundry and I'll try and keep up to date.

Jamie

I just need to make it clear that my friendly/supportive was because of Beth and not because you visited the land of the Telf.

You should also be aware that your presence in the area to the south of the muddy hollows was not the main reason for my trip to Boscastle.

North Cornwall has been bathed in a rather nasty drizzle all day. Sadly we missed it as a trip to Cotehele produced a far balmier clime.

A bit like the comparable weather difference between Ffestiniog and Saundersfoot on most days.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning All,

Its been many months since I last posted here so thought I'd say hello again.

Today is a special day for me. 50 years ago on September 5 back in 1966 it was the start of my working career in the Far East when I arrived in Hong Kong.

All started early in 1966 when I got bored working at the Lee Green Branch of Barclays Bank and wrote off The Chartered Bank (now Standard Chartered) applying for a job as a Foreign Staff Probationer. After a few months training and just after my 21st birthday in July (when, at that time, one could legally sign a contract) I was summonsed to the Staff Department to be advised that I was being appointed to the Foreign Staff by the Court of Directors and being sent to Hong Kong. Following my meeting with the Court of Directors I signed my contract (for 4 years with no holidays, apart from bank holidays, followed by 6 months furlough!!), was informed that I was sailing to Hong Kong on August 7th and sent home for a few days posting leave.

As it happens I was the last new appointment to The Chartered Bank to sail to the East sailing on the P & O - Orient Lines Chitral via Port Said, Aden, Colombo and Singapore. Recently I found my travel documents:

attachicon.gifChitral-01.jpg

attachicon.gifChitral-02.jpg

The Chitral was a small ship of about 14,000 tons carrying just over 200 passengers purchased second-hand from the Belgians after they gave up the Congo. All accommodation was First Class but there were 8 grades of First Class! As a lowly minion I was given a shared cabin but on arrival at Southampton I got my first ever upgrade and was allocated a single cabin on the boat deck. Travel to Southampton was by Special Train (hauled by a Cl.47 number unknown) at a cost of 47s. 0d First Class.

Looking at my passage ticket the cost of the journey to Hong Kong was £334.00 including all meals. Drinks though were chargeable but sold at duty-free prices. Another interesting tit-bit is that passengers were only allowed to embark with Sterling Notes up to the value of £25.00...... any excess could be confiscated by HM Customs.

..... and all that happened 50 years ago but September 5th is a special day that remains in my memory. The ship docked at 7:00am (at the newly opened Ocean Terminal), I was collected by a guy from the bank at 8:00am and was at my new desk in the Hong Kong Main Office at 9:30am learning my new job as No. 4 Officer in the Current Accounts Department. That evening it was off to the Wanchai bars with some of my new colleagues for a few drinks and that was the start of my working life in the Far East.

Only problem is where have those 50 years gone?

Keith

Ah Wanchi. Remember my first body there back in 1990. My brother lived just down the road in Causeway bay on the top floor of an apartment block. The first night that we visited the bars in Wanchi they were very quiet and tame so we were a little disappointed. A few days later and a Canadian Navy ship arrived. What a difference the area was with MPs all over the place carrying drunk sailors out of the bars. They were so busy that we couldn't go in.

Not been back to HK since 1996 and my brother now has a family living out in the New Territorys.

My other half works for Standard Charter in the City these days.

Back to the trains a few cancelled tonight so passengers are cramming on our service which is four coaches shorter then normal. I nearly missed that as was looking for m other half to arrive. Luckily she saw the short formation and grabbed seats before I got near to the doors where she was standing. People can't get on are shouting for people to move down but there isn't room.

Train now late.

If we miss the bus then looks like it's pub time.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Those of you who are brave enough to venture into other forums withinth RMWeb umbrella will have seen my mutterings about certain locomotives in a larger than 4 mm scale.

Yesterday, I tentatively broached the subject with the Obergrumpenfuhrer,who in her matter of fact way, replied along the lines of she always knew I was happier working with larger scales. Not only that but selling off all the 4 mm stuff would free up quite a bit of space.

I don't think she has quite managed to work out that when I was talking about larger scale stuff, I was not referring to the already extant 7/8 ths empire.

A Sir Jasper Dalrymple laugh is called for at this point

WHAHAHAHAHAAA!

Those aware of my surname's pronounciation will see the humorous connection with me moving up to Gauge 0.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 9

A busy day but not a great deal of work completed. At one stage I thought that my phone was going to melt.

A few bits of admin to complete this evening but fortunately nothing urgent.

My memories of Hong Kong when I wasn't working are a bit blurred.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Robbie needs to keep on taking his tablets. However the vet didn't have any and they have been discontinued by the manufacturer. The vet sent me to the pet shop and worked out how many of the less strong ones he would need. After some research this evening I have found a new supply of absolutely identical tablets sold under a different brand name and have ordered some online. I have emailed the vet too, I know he would like to know.

Matthew arrived safely in Cork. He went shopping today got an Irish SIM for his phone. The room he has in Cork is very very pink, so he was also going shopping for a duvet cover that was less pink to give his eyes a break. As Matthew has quite severe colour vision deficiency it must have been vibrant pink!

• RMweb Gold

Those of you who are brave enough to venture into other forums withinth RMWeb umbrella will have seen my mutterings about certain locomotives in a larger than 4 mm scale.

Yesterday, I tentatively broached the subject with the Obergrumpenfuhrer,who in her matter of fact way, replied along the lines of she always knew I was happier working with larger scales. Not only that but selling off all the 4 mm stuff would free up quite a bit of space.

I don't think she has quite managed to work out that when I was talking about larger scale stuff, I was not referring to the already extant 7/8 ths empire.

A Sir Jasper Dalrymple laugh is called for at this point

WHAHAHAHAHAAA!

Those aware of my surname's pronounciation will see the humorous connection with me moving up to Gauge 0.

Hoho - oh sorry, you meant moving up a scale not down one ;)

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

Well that's my first day back at work over with and I'm bl00dy kn4kered! I had to do a spot of eyelid inspection in before tea, I guess I've just got used to being at home, on holiday, oh well, back to reality with a bump!

This evening has been very quiet here at BSW01 towers, not a lot done, as Mrs W was watching Phil and Kirsty that shed recorded last week, I decided to read the latest Model Rail instead, I enjoyed the Pete Waterman article!

Jamie. Sorry to hear of Beth's fall, I hope all goes well for her on Friday.

Tony. I hope Mathew finds that duvet soon!

It's time I went to bed now.

Goodnight all.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Found a new toy in Tesco's today, it consists of a small wire brush on a broomstick. What is its purpose I hear you ask? well I've tested it and it's turned out to be quite effective for its intended purpose. I'm not saying what its purpose is, I will leave you to speculate for a day or two.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Found a new toy in Tesco's today, it consists of a small wire brush on a broomstick. What is its purpose I hear you ask? well I've tested it and it's turned out to be quite effective for its intended purpose. I'm not saying what its purpose is, I will leave you to speculate for a day or two.

Excellent devices I bought one some years ago at a bargain price when some shop was having a sale: has yours also got the useful triangular shaped piece of metal on it?

G'night all

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

A Segway, hooked-up to the trolley to do the shopping run faster ;)

No, its an outdoor item. Time for bed, goodnight all. 

Excellent devices I bought one some years ago at a bargain price when some shop was having a sale: has yours also got the useful triangular shaped piece of metal on it?

G'night all

It has indeed.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

G'night all

I think we have one too. Doesn't get used though.
  • Like 2

Is it for getting stones out of horses hooves?

• RMweb Premium

And is Dr Blake still practicing there? - I wasn't sure until you posted that Ballarat was a real place, so thanks for the clarification.

Sadly not.  His endeavours have been cheerfully watched here however.

Ballarat is indeed a real place.  Our third city after Melbourne and Geelong and just a few hundred souls ahead of Bendigo.  

Originally Balla Arat from two local indigenous words meaning Resting Place it has evolved over the years through Balla-arat and Ballaarat to Ballarat today.  The spelling Ballaarat is still found in the names of older organisations and is applied to the N-class locomotive N465, one of the fleet which is used to haul our long-distance country trains.  Ironically it never reaches Ballarat which is served only by DMUs.

• Like 9

Morning all. A late start to the working day for me. I have to meet one of our engineers at his first site this morning and as my journey is a lot shorter than his I can afford to take my time.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 14

Morning All,

We have another bright morning here. I am slightly later on parade as we took Mercedes' car in for service before coming to work.

Yes - Hipp-O :mosking:

If Spike Milligan was still around I suspect he could come up with a very politically incorrect comment.

More than likely.  When I did my pre-sixth form course at School, we had a debate where local dignitaries were invited.  Various different people turned up:  Solicitors, Councillors, Mayor, the Inspector from the local police station and Spike Milligan.  Suffice to say, things got very politically incorrect!

Have a good day everyone...

Edited by Robert
  • Like 18

Good morning one and all

The National Grid's workers have gone but the cones have not.  It remains to be seen whether the two vans and their contents will return.  The strings holding up the tomato plant were still in place yesterday morning.  A pile of ironing awaits attention and may be joined by another later today.

Yesterday I had a letter from the insurer of my old car.  It disagreed completely with what I was told by their call centre when I asked and 'reminded' me to send back the certificate of insurance that was cancelled last week.  I wonder what has become of it?   In the same post was a payable order for one month's VED.  Hoorah.

Today will see the fodder run in the morning and a meeting tonight.  I cannot remember whether the speaker is Les Nixon, Paul Chancellor or neither.  I'll find out soon enough.

Best wishes to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving, missing and depressed

Chris

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

What a horribly humid morning.

Trains all a few minutes late and ours very busy. Just about got seats. Probably because of the next service being 8 coaches short and with strike days tomorrow and Thursday I guess more people are making the trip to the smoke.

Spent a good part of last night fitting trucks with electrical pick ups to a Tropicana regrigerator car ready to fit a sound decoder which has sounds that represents the generator. I have three of them bought quite cheaply last year from the Portland NMRA convention. Once the tucks were fitted and wires hooked up I then spent the rest of the evening and a fair while this morning trying to find the decoders as they weren't in the decoder storage box. I think that I took them to a Freemo meet so have been routing through all the layout bags and DCC cases but still no joy. I just hope that I didn't drop them while out and about.

I did remember to pack the passports for this weekends trip though.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, evening to some.

Hippo, as all British Army vehicles have been retuned to run on used cooking oil, filling up the tanks involves eating a lot of chips. At about 2mpg the big metal armoured wagon could, theoretically speaking drive the length of Britain.

Today is getting on with lots of horrible jobs day. I am to finish stripping the paint from the garage door surround and then recaulking it before primer, undercoat and paint are applied. Bread must be procured and a bit of coach and loco painting completed.

If I get that done and some bits of cleaning as well I may be allowed to go and watch some cricket at Headingley this week.

Have a nice time today and I hope all goes well for those poorly or close to someone is poorly.

Baz

• Like 6