The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Autumn has been very wet here so far.

Wales is covered by a rain cloud the size of Wales.

Morning all.

Hopefully today I will visit the small(ish) exhibition at Darlington. The club there used to put on a great exhibition but a few years ago had to cancel at the last minute due to heavy snow in early December. I understand that it hit them hard financially. Last year they started again with a small exhibition at the old North Road railway station, now a museum. They are doing the same again this year - well worth supporting.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from the Principality.

Very murky dismal this morning. Lots of rain here last night,very heavy at times. Mittens is settling in well. She seems to be moulding us to how she wants us already.

May manage some railway modelling later on, subject to family stuff.

We shall see what the day brings.

Rob

• Like 13

Morning all. No rain yet this morning and it looks like I might get away with it until my return.

A trip down to Gaugemaster this morning to have a look around, hopefully get a chance for a chat with John  and maybe part with a few hard earned pounds.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Still feeling grotty but I can tell that it's some kind of bug so hopefully a day of not doing a lot apart from the trips to the smallest room in the house should sort it out.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Dom delayed reaction does kick in and cause nasty side effects so see your helpers.

Baz

Hello all,

We had 21mm of rain yesterday which is enough to keep me going (in the fruit&veg watering dept) for a few weeks. Gloomy this morning with a few spots still blowing around in the wind, but weather appears to be improving slowly.

I'm in charge of planning (food logistics mainly) for a family holiday near Leominster in a couple of weeks. With 7 hungry people to feed, and a range of dietary restrictions for most individuals, this is not going to be as easy as it sounds. My plan B is "get the bbq out", but when away from home even that is not the straightforward option it might appear to be. 

Maybe I will pack everyone off to Bulmers in Hereford and by the time they come back they will be in no state to notice what they are eating...

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Cloudy with some sun at the moment and there may be some scattered showers today.They weren't scattered yesterday afternoon at the birthday bash and it was rather wet & windy although at least there were some gazebos to shelter under. It was a good do and we stayed for about 5 hours then adjourned to our friend's house for more food & drink although by this time I felt I'd had enough of the latter so finished the evening drinking tea. This was remarked upon by those present who were concerned that I may be sickening for something.

I'm glad to report that I'm not and am fighting fit this morning and ready for the rigours of the day. This will mainly involve eating & drinking again starting with the usual Sunday breakfast and then followed later by Sunday roast at Nicki's.

I had hoped to visit the very nice people* at Ford this weekend but with all that's been happening there isn't a big enough slot. 

There is an aroma of bacon frying so I may be gone for a little while,

Have a good one,

Bob.

* They're very nice because last year they repaired my PA2  FOC after it developed a fault.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning everyone.

Quite blustery here today. Not at all cold.

Aditi and I are off to Southend tonight to the Cliffs Pavilion. I think it must be the smallest venue on Brian Wilson's UK tour.

Otherwise not a lot happening today. Matthew will be finishing his packing, he is off to Cork tomorrow morning.

Tony

• Like 12

well yesterday was a good news day mt lady had her work ntrial and has got the job so is now  a fully fledged bar maid at the latics for match days and events wahey shame about the fair on the pitch will reserve that for the football thread 

grotty wet horrible day today so looks like no photoshoot today

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I just discovered it's possible to stream Willow to our telly.

"Willow is the premier broadcaster of Cricket in the United States and Canada. Willow provides Live and On Demand video streaming of International and regional Cricket events."

On the other hand.......

You can get it online as well http://www.cricket-365.net/watch-willow-cricket-live.html

• RMweb Gold

This morning Boscastle is dry but a tad on the grey side.

Funnily enough, although we are only yards from the harbour, the silence of the gulls is deafening. I can only presume there are a couple of squadrons at Padstow on QRF for sorties against chips and ice creams.

Either that or they are not members of the National Trust.

The joining instructions stated that there was no wifi at the cottage, but there is. Either that or I have hacked into someone else's system.

The disadvantage was going onto the Hattons website and seeing the Dapol offerings of the (I presume) ex Lionheart Pannier tanks plus a 57xx at very competitive prices.

With my close range eye problem, I am sorely tempted to shed all my 4mm stuff and tackle 7mm scale.

This is not a decision to be taken lightly, so I will cogitate over the winter months and see how I get on with 4mm stuff. An informed decision can then be reached by next Easter.

I have not informed the Obergrumpenfuhrer about this yet as I have no wish to be tied to one of the oak beams in the cottage bedroom and whipped with a scented bootlace as she screams:

'I told you to do this ages ago you half witted excuse for a Riverhorse! Why don't you ever listen?'

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny here this morning but the odd shower is predicted. I've still got to collect some of the materials for the hard landscaping such as cement, I have plenty of sand. Congratulations and commiserations where neccessary, be back later.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I have not informed the Obergrumpenfuhrer about this yet as I have no wish to be tied to one of the oak beams in the cottage bedroom and whipped with a scented bootlace as she screams:

'I told you to do this ages ago you half witted excuse for a Riverhorse! Why don't you ever listen?'

I know a few who will pay good money for that. :whistle:

Could be worse, watching ladies hockey from South America...........

I must have the same hat and coat...........

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

Ooh Mick well below the belt with that one.

Nice move though. High five!

I am reliving those penalties as I write and watching the face of the Dutch manager.

We can share the coat.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone.

Up early for a Sunday, I've not had time to read all of today's posts yet, I hope to do that later.

I'm just off to keep my appointment at the orthopaedic clinic.

Back later.

• Like 1

Overcast in sunny Teignmouth today. It seems that Welsh cloud has extended across the Severn.

We do have car parks in Teignmouth. Ashcombe needed close to theatre parking but in response to another post, we have 5 within a 5 minute walk. A 5 minute walk in Teignmouth gets you anywhere.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

A current lapse in precipitation and it might last until tomorrow according to the Exeter seaweed readers - but on the other hand .....

One or two little jobs lined up for slaving away on the keyboard today with brain supposedly fully engaged and hopefully a finally completed Rule Book heading northwards tomorrow - it will give Simon something to think about in a few months from now (he'll no doubt find an error in a cross-reference, somebody usually does before I do, I'll blame the printer).

Have a good day one & all

• Like 14

Morning all,

A current lapse in precipitation and it might last until tomorrow according to the Exeter seaweed readers - but on the other hand .....

One or two little jobs lined up for slaving away on the keyboard today with brain supposedly fully engaged and hopefully a finally completed Rule Book heading northwards tomorrow - it will give Simon something to think about in a few months from now (he'll no doubt find an error in a cross-reference, somebody usually does before I do, I'll blame the printer).

Have a good day one & all

As an ex-professional seaweed reader (although my personal preference was for pine cones) I believe that the tropical air from ex-hurricane Gaston is supposed to be with us tomorrow. Of course it depends on where you are, but my thinking is that very few places in England and Wales will escape some very murky conditions both tonight and tomorrow with the extremely moist air, so that lapses in precipitation will be much more temporary over the coming 24 hours.

However, there will be an improvement late in the day and the warm weather looks like returning from Tuesday until Saturday...  Hurrah.

And what is more... I don't charge to get it wrong.

• RMweb Gold

As an ex-professional seaweed reader (although my personal preference was for pine cones) I believe that the tropical air from ex-hurricane Gaston is supposed to be with us tomorrow. Of course it depends on where you are, but my thinking is that very few places in England and Wales will escape some very murky conditions both tonight and tomorrow with the extremely moist air, so that lapses in precipitation will be much more temporary over the coming 24 hours.

However, there will be an improvement late in the day and the warm weather looks like returning from Tuesday until Saturday...  Hurrah.

I find this sort of thing far handier and informative than those silly little symbols they plonk on the maps

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/surface-pressure/#?tab=surfacePressureColour&fcTime=1472904000

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The Forecasters are often their own worst enemy.  On Friday we had a cloudy morning but dry the forecast had been for light drizzle clearing away. On the twelve o clock weather the presenter said 'The rain in the South West has cleared away to give a fine afternoon. It had just started raining here and continued on and off for two or three hours before clearing. Now forecasting is notoriously difficult but to state that something has cleared when it obviously hasn't just makes one look foolish. 

Don

The Forecasters are often their own worst enemy.  On Friday we had a cloudy morning but dry the forecast had been for light drizzle clearing away. On the twelve o clock weather the presenter said 'The rain in the South West has cleared away to give a fine afternoon. It had just started raining here and continued on and off for two or three hours before clearing. Now forecasting is notoriously difficult but to state that something has cleared when it obviously hasn't just makes one look foolish. 

Don

you may find this usefull http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar%3Bsess%3D 

• Like 7

Warm and sunny here today so out in the garden tidying, then readying the spare room for a pal from Chicago for Thursday.

Spotted around 40 or so swifts flying around and perching on the top of a childrens' spider-web climbing frame yesterday on the slopes of Arthur's Seat; there are none here today so I guess they must have been gathering for the long trip south.

Hope your day goes well

Mal

• Like 11

This site is not Met Office, but is quite easy to interpret.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/

Just type your town/city (or postcode) into the box and it will give you a forecast.

*** Warning, that forecast is taken from the raw computer output, so needs a little common sense (or better still - meteorological experience) to interpret; for instance if your home town is under a computer forecast of a thunderstorm for that particular hour, you may see a thunderstorm symbol with 12mm of rain; but when you look at it 6 hours later it has a sunny/shower symbol and 0.1mm of rain.

This doesn't necessarily mean it is just rubbish, but that with the nature of thunderstorms the second run of the computer did not have one right over your area.

You need a more broad brush approach to this website, and interpret the more general trends rather than take each 3-hourly forecast as literal.

Don

I can't comment on the current situation; but whenever I did media forecasts (mainly radio in my case) I endeavoured to have the latest satellite and rainfall radar images with me in the studio. 

I always tried to get the "now" right, because my thinking was, if you can't get the current analysis correct - what hope for the forecast?

• Like 7