The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Anyone putting feet on my dashboard or anywhere else apart from the floor will be told their fortune in no uncertain terms.

Oh  and I have survived my DIY endeavours with only one slight problem. After fitting the lamp exactly where I want it I found the lead was 6 inches too short.

Short extension lead?

Don

• RMweb Gold

One more hour of driving, then that's it until Monday.

I'm currently sat next to my layout having a quick break before going out on the road, then it's back to sticking bits on the layout tonight and some final stock testing.

Junior NB fell foul of Colchester's bus lanes the other day, as a penalty notice dropped through our letterbox today. Containing a clear picture of her car contravening a bus lane. She does know better about bus lanes, but even after 3-4 months of driving around there, she's still finding her way.

£60 fine or £30 if paid within 14 days. She'll be getting the online payment details from me tonight...............................

It must be a real money spinner for the local council down there. I just wish they would put some of the revenue back into better signs and road markings............. It's a nightmare round by Colchester Town station and I avoid it like the plague whenever I go and visit.

Back to some almost good news. I have a couple of new locos arriving soon, that have been on order since January. They may be here tomorrow, just in time for the exhibition.

Cheers,

Mick

People keep overtaking me and making rude gestures for driving in the bus lanes. However all our local bus lanes are only rush hour time and I drive in them when permissible.

Short extension lead?

Don

or move the socket?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Why is it that nearly all White Van drivers are called Juan Kerr?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

P word more or less complete - two coats of seal duly applied today (seems to have worked well despite the bottle sitting in the garage for 9 years - but still unopened as I bought too much last time round) so only stuff to move back in later this evening plus the logs to get back in tomorrow (before the rain arrives if all goes well).   Herself has also applied some reflective film on the window of the back door and it does seem to be working in keeping the utility a bit cooler so after a busy day we're off down to the Italian restaurant this evening.  Faux Friday shopping has perforce been cancelled due to other activity but might not be a major exercise tomorrow after a voyage of discovery in the freezer in the garage.

Oddly white (other colours are available) van drivers round here generally tend to be the better and more polite drivers of motor vehicles on our local roads although there ware occasional exceptions.  Without a doubt the worst are the females of the species driving large 4x4/SUV type vehicles and who appear to have extremely limited knowledge or understanding of just about every part of the Highway Code apart from being downright rude.  Next in line are probably the Beemer and Audi drivers many of whom seem to be frequently repeating brain cell donors.  Those driving Maseratis and Ferraris tend to usually be quite good and polite while cyclists seem to vary according to the acreage of lycra they are coated in - obviously it serves as some sort of compensation for inadequacies in brain power and the observation of such road signing as that which indicates a one way street or the need to stop at a red traffic light or give way when the road has a certain pattern of marking.

It would be great if we had trams - preferably armour plated; their presence would give a local scrappy a good income judging by the number of idiots round here who can't manage to drive on their own side of the road.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Goons afternoon everyone.

Once again I was straight outside this morning making use of the sunny day. All shelving units have now been extended and also been relocated into the shed. All I have to do now is put everything back onto the shelves!

This afternoon I had a phone call enquiring about the letter cancelling my application, (which should have been this afternoon). It would appear that there had been a computer glitch and dozens of letters have been sent out cancelling appointments, when in fact the clinic was open and I'd missed it. Good job I'd already rescheduled it! Anyway, the short story is I'm being seen this Sunday morning at 11:00 (!!!) and not the 29th! Although I was told it was the 9th!!!!!!

Whenever I use power tools outside, I use either a socket in the workshop or shed, they are both RCD protected AND nobody else goes in either of them but me! I also unplug which ever tool I'm using when I've stopped using it.

Back later.

• Like 16

People keep overtaking me and making rude gestures for driving in the bus lanes. However all our local bus lanes are only rush hour time and I drive in them when permissible.

or move the socket?

Bob and electrickery - is this a good idea?

• RMweb Gold

Believe it or not I am extremely careful with electricity and will only tackle jobs I am comfortable with, anything complicated I call in the professionals. I won't touch gas but am happy with general  plumbing repairs, at least if that goes wrong I can swim.  

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've got to the stage of only using battery powered tools. That way there's no chance of me doing anything to the cable

Yes, seems safer not to have a cable, but what if you somehow manage to drill into the battery? :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

It could be very serious indeed. 

When the clip ended I got some very odd choices of other videos

Don

I hadn't realy taken any notice so I just had to take a look. :blush:  All I can say is they are not ticklish. (That is if you got the same clips.)

• RMweb Gold

'People keep overtaking me and making rude gestures for driving in the bus lanes. However all our local bus lanes are only rush hour time and I drive in them when permissible.'

Some time back, when I was still an ADI working for BSM, I was stopped in Wolverhampton by one of West Mercia constabulary's finest.

I was lectured as to why I as a qualified driving instructor should not be driving in a bus lane, especially in a  driving school badged vehicle with a learner driver in charge of the vehicle.

We were then told that we'd both be booked!

I laughed and pointed to the data plate which displayed the active times of the bus lane.

The prohibition had expired some 30 minutes previously.

I then rather spitefully commented (in the nicest possible tone) that I remember a time when a police officer employed on traffic duties used to be really good at the rules and regs and were excellent drivers. something that was not evident these days, and a lot of them in my opinion set a very bad example to other road users in the way they drove around in marked police vehicles.

We didn't get booked.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

This morning, I tracked down the cause of the rough joint on the curved bridge.  So the temporary check rail was removed and after a slight adjustment, trains were able to pass safely, and at speed in either direction, so the line was declared fit for traffic.

This was indeed fortunate I was able to resolve this, as Lord Glendoric, the Chief Inspector of Irrigation Tramways was present at the South Horton site this afternoon.

I am pleased to report that after a number of test trains were run, and afternoon tea with Bara Brith in evidence was consumed, he passed the line fit for purpose.

There is no truth in the rumour that the pub lunch prior to the inspection and the 7/8ths scale wheel sets and coupling castings that found their way into his briefcase mid way through the inspection process, had anything to do with this decision.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 5