The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

We had an invite to Swindon but looks like I forgot to send back the completed form and they didn't chase so no space for us. We are now on a beer trip to Scotland that weekend flying valuation to Inverness then sleeper back from Edinburgh and straight into work on the Monday morning. Doing Woking next year.

Our train arrived early into Redhill this morning. What's going on???

I am sure that they will make up for two early services in a row especially with the looming strikes next week.

This weekend I may well be visiting Ford.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Another fine start to the day and it is forecast to stay that way.

I have to visit two money laundering establishments this morning and then spend an hour or so with The Boss inspecting the shelves at Sainsbury's. 

Later I want to move my magnifying lamp from it's current site into the railway room so that I can then actually/possibly see what I'm doing when tinkering with locos. This may involve some minor surgery involving wood, screws, saws and an electric drill. (I have checked that accident and life insurance payments are up to date)

Have a good one,

Bob.

There may be trouble ahead. :banghead:  :whistle:

Evening all, we took FIL for his PET scan today I have no idea what a PET scan is and suspect I shouldn't Google it.

I had my xray for my lung problem locally but had to travel to Plymouth for the PET scan. The PET scan scanned the whole upper body and I was told that if any cancerous signs were revealed they would glow red or pink. The PET scan can reveal far more than the normal scanner.

Hello everyone.

I have discovered the cause of all the loud squawking which emanates from high above the front garden. Yesterday evening it increased to such a level that I felt compelled to spend a few minutes looking out of the front window just to find out what was going on. The culprits were a pair of Jays that had been helping themselves to a few acorns in the oak tree by the road, but had found their free buffet had been gatecrashed by a couple of Magpies.

The resulting commotion was almost enough to bring my half dead cherry tree back to life. The four birds were hopping around from branch to branch, each making a tremendous din. Finally the Magpies flew off and peace was restored. 

It is nice and sunny here today, so the watering must be done....

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Nice to hear from Debs again. A warning about the dangers of putting ones feet on a car dashboard, be warned its a bit graphic towards the end.

The injuries from such accidents can be horrendous, one teenage girl in the states ended up with one leg going between the seat and the door pillar and the other smashing into her face and chest resulting in the amputation of both legs as well as severe facial and abdominal injuries.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Definitely 'poor old Llanwonno' as it appears from a quick study of Google Maps that the pub is now some sort of cafe/b&B establishment - at a quick calculation I think it is 45 years since I was in the pub.   A group of us visted the pub after a signal sighting meeting;  wot signals at Llanwonno? the cognoscenti might ask.  Well the signal sighting meeting had actually been at Stormstown but after that apart from a need for liquid sustenance we were heading for somewhere in the Rhondda so the pub at Llanwonno lay very conveniently on our route.  Incidentally I did at one time lodge in Ynysybwl - an interesting place with three Doctors (I lodged with the chemist - that's how I came to meet the Doctors) one of whom seemed to spend more time dealing in diamonds than signing miners off on the sick.  Definitely bandit country round there.

Ah well back to the cheery and currently sunny Thames Valley where the gentle racket of the dust cart seems to have proved that if they're officially retimed one day later they can actually get here by 10.00 instead of arriving a day late as has been their wont for the past couple of weeks.

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Might be a bit sluggish unless you add a third rail.

No need. Just fire up the diesel. Just finishing off a yellow 73138 to trundle round the layout. The sound file has the ability to change from diesel to electric on the move. Just like the real thing. Not that I have any 3rd rail on the layout though.

Cheers

Mick

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Might be a bit sluggish unless you add a third rail.

No need. Just fire up the diesel. Just finishing off a yellow 73138 to trundle round the layout. The sound file has the ability to change from diesel to electric on the move. Just like the real thing. Not that I have any 3rd rail on the layout though.

Cheers

Mick

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I had my xray for my lung problem locally but had to travel to Plymouth for the PET scan. The PET scan scanned the whole upper body and I was told that if any cancerous signs were revealed they would glow red or pink. The PET scan can reveal far more than the normal scanner

Umm, I think that's Positron Emission Tomography - i.e. the funny fluid they put in your bloodstream emits positrons! Deb had this in 2011.

I don't doubt you for a moment Ian and your description matches my treatment but the description I have written on my hospital records is as I wrote. Sometimes these things can vary by location.

Edited by Gwiwer

With respect to feet on the dash - I have noticed that more and more people seem to be doing this lately.

I have personally always thought it wasn't a particularly sensible thing to do, even before the widespread use of airbags.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Nice to hear from Debs again. A warning about the dangers of putting ones feet on a car dashboard, be warned its a bit graphic towards the end.

The injuries from such accidents can be horrendous, one teenage girl in the states ended up with one leg going between the seat and the door pillar and the other smashing into her face and chest resulting in the amputation of both legs as well as severe facial and abdominal injuries.

It could be very serious indeed. 

When the clip ended I got some very odd choices of other videos

Don

With respect to feet on the dash - I have noticed that more and more people seem to be doing this lately.

I have personally always thought it wasn't a particularly sensible thing to do, even before the widespread use of airbags.

I guess if the airbags go off whilst their feet are in that position the person involved will be able to kiss their derriere goodbye

Looks like the two day strike on Southern is still on next week.

They were handing out leaflets this morning.

If you could dig out all your RM web posts regarding your journeys to and from work it would make good reading for any body reviewing Southerns performance.

• Like 2

Morning, BIN day... bin there, done that <groan> :jester:

Nowt much to report, so far haven't heard from the "purveyors of bad arithmetic" even though they said to expect a call back yesterday afternoon <yawn>

Evening final prep meeting with travelling companions resulted in a "GO" on the circumnavigation and everyone manage to quell the Mrs fears of the miles we'd be driving.

So that's sorted...

The municipality "powers that be" apparently in an attempt to create the worlds biggest cockup of a traffic jam, rather than do some practical planning, have managed a perfect storm/flustercuck today/this evening as follows;

i) The University has move in day today! About 40,000 student body! Pretty much ALL day event with the students finally trying to go find something to eat with various parents/relatives/friends in late afternoon/evening

ii) The state fair continues, usual weekday draw over 110,000, ALL DAY 6AM - Midnight.

iii) The Vikings (pro US Football team) play their final pre-season game tonight at 7PM - capacity crowd of 66,000 and change expected.

iv) The Twins (pro baseball) play a regular season game starting at 7:10PM - admittedly they are playing CARP this year, but will still draw about 30,000+

vi) The Gophers (U of Minn. football team) have their home opener starting at 8PM - beats me what they'll draw but typically a large crowd 20-30,000 depending on interest

This entire mess is all contained within about 10 miles of each other. The Twins/Vikings are about a mile apart downtown, Gophers play 4 miles east of the Vikings and the fair another 5 further east of that! The University surrounds the Gophers stadium! Fortunately, I have no plans/intention of being anywhere NEAR that mess any time today :O

Lovely morning here, 17 and sunny, crisp with no real hint of humidity. Expected to reach only about 23 for a high - my kind of weather.

Hope BIN day finds your receptacles emptied ;)

• RMweb Premium

One more hour of driving, then that's it until Monday.

I'm currently sat next to my layout having a quick break before going out on the road, then it's back to sticking bits on the layout tonight and some final stock testing.

Junior NB fell foul of Colchester's bus lanes the other day, as a penalty notice dropped through our letterbox today. Containing a clear picture of her car contravening a bus lane. She does know better about bus lanes, but even after 3-4 months of driving around there, she's still finding her way.

£60 fine or £30 if paid within 14 days. She'll be getting the online payment details from me tonight...............................

It must be a real money spinner for the local council down there. I just wish they would put some of the revenue back into better signs and road markings............. It's a nightmare round by Colchester Town station and I avoid it like the plague whenever I go and visit.

Back to some almost good news. I have a couple of new locos arriving soon, that have been on order since January. They may be here tomorrow, just in time for the exhibition.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Cheers

Mick

Ah yes - all 600 hp of raw power (not that much more than my pickup truck)

:) :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Anyone putting feet on my dashboard or anywhere else apart from the floor will be told their fortune in no uncertain terms.

Oh  and I have survived my DIY endeavours with only one slight problem. After fitting the lamp exactly where I want it I found the lead was 6 inches too short.

• Like 1