The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Just found out, to my relief, that my injured colleague doesn't have anything life threatening.

It turns out he was cutting the bottom off a door with a saw bench, and somehow managed to cut into the joint of his little finger.

He has a nasty injury because the joint is damaged, but by all accounts it is healing well.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone.

A dull and slightly overcast day, but it's was still warm when I went to retrieve the bins earlier on this morning.

Mrs W is in the kitchen ironing, so I'm waiting for it to be vacated so that can start baking. I may be some time!

On the subject of bonfires. Many years ago, someone lit a bonfire one Sunday afternoon (a local by-law forbids this in our neck of the woods). I politely informed him of the by-law and asked him to put it out, he agreed, but 20 minutes late it was still burning fiercely, so I got my hose pipe out and put it out for him! However, I also made sure that he would be unable to relight it!

Back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Condolences to Duncan - terrible for people to die young but far worse I think for those they leave behind especially a young family although I also have great sympathy for their parents as nobody should have to attend the funeral of their offspring. 

Probably more P word today but also I shall be conveying the memsahib to a dental appointment in the fair city of Tilehurst (well it does have a City Road) plus visiting an excellent lighting emporium in order to buy illuminants (electric) which we seem unable to purchase in this town.  In fact this town is lousy for shopping other than the basics as all there is beyond that is shops selling stuff for the grockles or expensive clothing (£50 for a shirt :O  :scratchhead:) and of course our latest Prime Minster buys her shoes and various other things here.  But you can't buy useful things like solder, or flux or even Mekpak although there are two sources for things like bricks and cement.

Have a good day one & all

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning  Afternoon All

It WAS morning when I got back from a visit to Sister Drac (she's really OK - so that nice Health Care Assistant who's been taking my blood for years and is the only one who can do a painless blood letting and can find the vein first time).  Weight is now up to 90kg - about 14 st in old money - sure the Dr will have things to say about that!

Just a pop in to say hello, and I'll try to get caught up later as there's apparently domestic tasks, as 30747 has gone to lunch with friends, and left me a few cryptic notes like "tumble " and "wash" - I wonder if I've got to wash the tumble dryer?

Back later once done, and e-Bay listings are sorted.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Condolences to Duncan - terrible for people to die young but far worse I think for those they leave behind especially a young family although I also have great sympathy for their parents as nobody should have to attend the funeral of their offspring. 

Probably more P word today but also I shall be conveying the memsahib to a dental appointment in the fair city of Tilehurst (well it does have a City Road) plus visiting an excellent lighting emporium in order to buy illuminants (electric) which we seem unable to purchase in this town.  In fact this town is lousy for shopping other than the basics as all there is beyond that is shops selling stuff for the grockles or expensive clothing (£50 for a shirt :O  :scratchhead:) and of course our latest Prime Minster buys her shoes and various other things here.  But you can't buy useful things like solder, or flux or even Mekpak although there are two sources for things like bricks and cement.

Have a good day one & all

You should try shopping round here Mike. Even Bridgwater and Taunton seem to have lost their modelling shops.

I presume the bricks and cement come from a builders merchant. Most should have some plumbing supplies so flux should be available and solder although it it would probably be higher melting point than you would like. Beware the lead free solder some of it is rubbish. The craft shop in Minehead did order in some copydex for me.

Don

• RMweb Gold

The trouble with bonfires is that either people have no room to stack the stuff, are ignorant of doing so or too bloody minded. I will stack the stuff till it dries out inside then just as it gets dark and civilised folk go indoors I can burn a huge pile in an hour or two with little or no smoke. I do not leave it smoking away all night by dumping green stuff onto the glowing embers.

Saw benches are a thing of the devil and power saws nearly as bad the fact they are quick is the reason they are so dangerous. When it is powering through  thick timbers keep your mind on how quick it will do the same to fingers and keep well out of the way. A neighbour in Shropshire was cutting rough logs using a bench powered by his tractor when a log jammed the blade rotated the log pulling his hand round. He split his thumb right through the knuckle. It could easily have been worse.

Don

ps I have had hand saws slip but they just rip a bit of skin the same thing with a circular saw could slice the hand in two. 

Edited by Donw
  • Like 3

I think we should have a "too much information" button.

Bottling beer is a slow and laborious task. Most brews make just over 20 litres, so that is 40-42 bottles (and caps) to rinse out, drain, sterilise, fill, add carbonation drop, screw on cap, place in warm dark place for secondary ferment.

Fortunately, I have hardly sampled any of the brew as I had a mouthful while bottling and it had almost no taste at all. In a rather strange way that is good, because any bacteria that may find itself in the brew would soon spoil it and produce off tastes.

This is why I have a zero tolerance to fruit flies in the brew room. Allow one or two to float around annoyingly and you will soon have a hundred; and just one can do the damage.

The Ocado man arrived in the Onion Van. I've seen plenty of Apple, Lemon, Raspberry vans (amongst others) but this is my first Onion.

Home made bread and pate for lunch I think, and then maybe a haircut for the back lawn later, as our drizzly rain is forecast to clear very soon.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

but if I don't check in by tonight please send searchers.

Safely home from what has been an entirely uneventful shift aside from the outfall of the past two days.  

SWMBO happily rehearsing some ukulele material for Friday.  Weekend away booked.  Recalling my home-brewing days when I could push a supermarket "Best Bitter" kit well into the barley wine stakes; I think the record was 1095.  I always siphoned from brewing bucket to barrel and never bottled.  That particular barrel carried a warning when I had a few friends round and I hid the pint glasses!!!

• Like 16

Safely home from what has been an entirely uneventful shift aside from the outfall of the past two days.  

SWMBO happily rehearsing some ukulele material for Friday.  Weekend away booked.  Recalling my home-brewing days when I could push a supermarket "Best Bitter" kit well into the barley wine stakes; I think the record was 1095.  I always siphoned from brewing bucket to barrel and never bottled.  That particular barrel carried a warning when I had a few friends round and I hid the pint glasses!!!

If your beer was that good and I have no doubt it was and still would be, I would bring my own pint glass. :O  

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

If your beer was that good and I have no doubt it was and still would be, I would bring my own pint glass. :O  

Enjoyable in moderation.  Some of the things which took place after moderation gave way to unrestrained enjoyment are best not remembered let alone discussed in public.  ;)

• Like 1

Seems that, on the day the England batsmen broke the one day record, I'm not able to see the highlights on Channel 5.

As, apart from the News, it's one of the few things for which I'd turn on the TV, I am not amused.

I suppose it has gone somewhere where it costs an underarm and a fine leg to watch.

I also thought I would miss the highlights until my wife found it listed at midnight. It seems that the tests are important to channel 5, the one dayers less so. From now on I shall be checking for very late broadcast times. On the subject of bonfires there is someone around our neck of the woods who seizes the opportunity to burn household waste on the bonfire, there is often an unmissable aroma of burning plastic mixed with burnt wood.

Stay safe all.

• Like 1

...That little, short, 20 mile stretch of water can be very frustrating at times!...

Indeed, but to quote my long-departed grandma, when the early days of suggesting building a channel tunnel were going on, "..that little strip of water has saved our bacon more than once...". Then again she did blame all the changes in the weather on "those damned Russian sputniks" :O  :jester:

Duncan, my condolences. As you already know from other ERs, we're always here for whatever help can be offered via our virtual "family". :friends:

On to HUMP day, and the phrase of the day is "...bugger I FORGOT the days are growing shorter...". This muttered on my once-a-week drive into the office, when it was revealed as I joined the DUE EASTBOUND highway and came to an abrupt halt that all the other drivers have never seen the !$!@#$!@#$ SUN before :(

It STILL rises in the east, apparently to the surprise of all the other road users! How is it this happens twice a year and it seems no one remembers???

Tsk, tsk. Onward and upward I guess. Nothing else of note from yesterday, just another day working.

Tonight we get together with our travelling companions for a last review of the up-coming trip "Circumnavigating Lake Superior". Last minute questioning of the sanity/sense of it all by the Mrs will be the main topic. Her friends/employers have suggested amazement at the amount of driving involved, and have created a minor concern from the Mrs...

I'll report back - though since we've got it all planned out, all the hotels, lodges and other overnight accommodations pre-booked (can be cancelled of course) after much faffing about to select where to stay, I'm not sure we'll want to do a lot of re-routing <sigh>

18 and sunny here, low humidity and generally an excellent day with a high of only 25 expected.

Hope your crossing of the HUMP goes well.

EDIT: Correction for the pedants in the audience, the days aren't growing shorter, the daylight HOURS are getting fewer

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

On to HUMP day, and the phrase of the day is "...bugger I FORGOT the days are growing shorter..

Still 24 hours every day from what i can recall since the other day :jester:

Yep I know what you mean. Its dark now when I get up and often dark when we leave the pub of an evening.

• Like 11

Still 24 hours every day from what i can recall since the other day :jester:

Yep I know what you mean. Its dark now when I get up and often dark when we leave the pub of an evening.

Dang it - you managed to READ my post before I added my "EDIT" :)

• RMweb Gold

No Bill but have been reminded that it's not a good idea to get the stuff on your bare arms. :no:

Why don't you get the Oven Clean Company in when the Boss is at work ? saves burning your arms and banging your head. :mosking:

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of home brewing reminds me of when I used to brew my own in my bachelor house.  My family were strict teetotal Methodist (Where did I go wrong).  One day my mother and aunt came for lunch and I had made a stew.  They remarked that it tasted very nice.  I can't remember what yarn I spun but I couldn't tell the truth that the stock for the stew was the bottom few pints from the home brew that was full of yeast.

Jamie.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

At last, I've managed to get caught up after many matters domestic - I didn't wash the tumble drier, I tumble dried the washing instead, but also gave the tumble drier a clean, as it lives in the garage, and has picked up a lot of debris over the months, more so now that the car boot stuff has been moved to the eaves, and the space reserved for the forthcoming load of logs.

The tidying operation has meant that there's a few boxes of stuff for the charity shop, and it does include some railway books which are surplus to my requirements.  Better to go to the hospice shop where they might get a good home than sit in the loft for the winter.  The shop in question helps fund the same hospice which got a donation of £4,000 plus from Green Ayre RIses in May.  My small donations can't compete with that.  However, every little helps.

All of your contributions have been read and rated, and my condolences are sent via the RMWeb airwaves to Duncan.  Sad news indeed.  Never good to hear of one so young dying.  I think it happens to us all, and we hear of such instances, but it does not really make it any easier when it happens to somebody you know and like.

I may be AWOL tomorrow, as I feel a need for a Drake & Macefield pie coming on, and 30747 is not at work, so I can see a trip to Skipton may be on the cards.  Yummy. 

Back at some time tomorrow, perhaps.

Regards to All

Stewart

All this talk of home brewing reminds me of when I used to brew my own in my bachelor house.  My family were strict teetotal Methodist (Where did I go wrong). 

Well for a start, you became a Baptist instead.

• Like 14

TWO very good friends of mine died the first at 38, at work at 9am, saying to his boss the Car Sales Manager, that he felt unwell and dropped dead leaving a 2 and a 5 year old. The second a Car Sales Manager had a heart attack in his sleep, leaving a 3 and a 6 year old, the world can be a very cruel place at times.

RIP.

I also meant to say that the widow of my first friend to die of a Heart Attack re married another friend after a couple of years and he died about 6 Months later of a Brain Tumour at about 40 - 45 years of age. Just how un lucky is that, losing two Husbands in about 3 years, she is still single as far as I know some 20+ years later.

Edited by Andrew P