The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Yep saw that earlier. Will be interesting on Tuesday of it does actually look like that.

Meanwhile something a little older whilst walking between pubs in Hereford

Lovely.

I have a vacation booked in Leominster during September, and that looks to be a prime candidate for a day trip.

If I arrive by train, I can sample as many pubs as I like I can manage before forgetting where the station is.

• Like 7

British guitarists. Stewart beat me to it, but in no particular order, Richard Thompson, Brian May, Martins Carthy and Simpson all come immediately to mind.

Won't anyone mention Hank Marvin?

It would seem that he has been mentioned already.

I suppose Bruce Welch doesn't stand a chance. :no:  or Jet Harris! :nono:

Edited by Judge Dread

Morning all (well, nearly noon already!!)

Fairly successful yesterday, managed to score some suitable seating for the "Cabaret" - I guess it's worth being earlier than most and contending with the odd rain shower.

That meant I got the entire afternoon to MODEL - YAY!! WHOOP WHOOP!!!

Spent much of that time continuing with the "Kadeeing" of stock, mostly the end bogies of fixed Mk1 rakes, but also the Craftsman Lord Nelson I've owned since I had it built in the '80s. TO date it has always had a rear loop coupling, and meant I mostly ran it light-engine, or with a few non-Kadee coaches. Fixed THAT, so now it joins the roster with everything else, result :)

Sadly, I have to report our dear friend Marti has passed away. As previously reported she has mostly been sleeping the past couple of weeks, but now has left us. The memorial service is Sept. 8th, and I'm hoping our friend Tony (her husband) who is part of the choir, though for obvious reasons absent this past year, will request a schola to sing at the service. We've done this MANY times and he's always been a member of the regular group, I'm convinced it gives added comfort to the entire group attending, so I hope he asks us to do it for his family this time. We have to wait and see, as it'll be his choice, but I'm hoping we can perform for Marti, Tony and the family.

Today, the planned visit to the "Great Minnesota Get Together" aka the MInnesota State Fair, is happening in about 10 minutes - will report on the proceedings when able.

Weather 22 and partly cloudy, may see some rain showers but limited so far, almost perfect fair weather.

Enjoy the second day of a three day weekend, those so blessed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Angry of Dorking mouthed off...

You rang? Any more trouble and I'll get Sherry to sort you out.

Mind you, today may not be the day. Having gone to church for the first time in several weeks, the vic saw her arrive and asked her to read the lesson..... 

• Like 10

Good afternoon (GMT Local time!)

A quiet but relatively successful Sunday now draws to its swansong.

Shopped, eaten, partaken of liquid beverages, found nearly two armchairs under the accumulated publications and have my network rack unit on mains power!

Downside: tomorrow I just need to finish clearing the main armchair (for sedentary use) and leaning more about Märklin's MFX control system, before their tech expert arrives on Thursday for our open weekend (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/calendar/1-rmweb-exhibitionevent-calendar/day-2016-09-3). Yesterday's success was that I had the basics of the Märklin CS system working in front of my very eyes!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It had rained in East Yorkshire during the night but most folks in West Hull were still abed sleeping off Hull F.C's win at Wembley yesterday. Looks like that other Hull club will have to change the words to their ditty about the Airlie Birds not winning at said venue!  :no:  :onthequiet:

Although I prefer Union I watched that game and thought it was a cracker. However I would have given the man of the match award to the guy who made 52 tackles. I thought he played a blinder.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Done by Heely Bridge in post # 129280 as "Hank the Plank"

Ed

When I was a lad we got to see Bert Weedon most weeks on the television Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Leominster

If I arrive by train, I can sample as many pubs as I like I can manage before forgetting where the station is.

There's also a few that are best avoided in that town as well, I can assure you Jonny.  Just follow your instinct.

Edited by 45156

When I was a lad we got to see Bert Weedon most weeks on the television

I don't know about seeing him, but many of us had his "Learn The Guitar In Easy Lessons" book.

I tried..... and failed

• RMweb Premium

I don't know about seeing him, but many of us had his "Learn The Guitar In Easy Lessons" book.

I tried..... and failed

Ah yes, Bert Weedon's "Play In A Day" and "Play Every Day".

A much under-rated guitarist.

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, and the best chip shop in Leomister is DiMarcos which is at the bottom of Bargates.  I always eat from there when I visit that town (which I do about six times a year).

Oh yes, and the best chip shop in Leomister is DiMarcos which is at the bottom of Bargates.  I always eat from there when I visit that town (which I do about six times a year).

All this info is being quietly accumulated. Thanks.

• Like 3

Evening all. I just noticed that we now have a Model Engineering section. I gave that up many years ago to get back to the sanity of model railways. Yes, I know. What an optimist. 

The picture of Hereford cathedral reminded us that six or seven weeks ago we were sat in a garden there watching oldish teenagers, school leaver age, rehearsing for A Midsummer Night's Dream; I hope they put on a good show. We picked up an ailment on that trip and are only now getting over it.

Stay safe all. 

I've never been to Hereford Cathedral, but it a very early see (AD676). The medieval church was falling down by the 19th century and has clearly been rebuilt as Victorian Gothick (love it or hate it).

Great day yesterday at Lord's. A full ground, but a lot of youngsters, Pakistanis and the reasonable temperature meant there wasn't too much drinking and so we didn't have too much trade. A superb innings by Mr Root, whom I almost met after the game when returning a wheelchair to the pavilion.

Set off straight after church to Borough Green down the A20, because the M20 was closed. Minimal traffic and even less coming back up a deserted M20 from junction 2. Then I've been working on brake vans for next weekend, listening to Richard Strauss, an overrated composer except for The Four Last Songs (one of my Desert Island Disks selection): the Alpine Symphony is kitsch Mahler. An early bath and then bed because I have a CFR shift tomorrow.

Keep well all. Bill

Bill

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

We had a great day out at Inveraray Castle, the drive there was spectacular, we spent so much time there that we didn't get to the village, so we decided to eat lunch in the castles café instead. Whilst we were eating it rained. After lunch we had walk round the gardens and grounds, missing the rain as it had stopped by then.

This evening as we ate our meal, we were able to watch the 77,000 ton cruise ship 'Mien Schiff 1' leave Greenock, where it had docked this morning, it didn't take long! Apparently the MSC Speldida arrives tomorrow!

We've had a nice stay here in Helensburgh, the weather has been great, it's only rained twice whilst we've been here, but both times we were sat down eating, so it didn't matter! The packing has now all been done, well all bar the toiletries that is, which we'll do after breakfast tomorrow.

Ian. Losing a friend is very hard, so sorry for your loss.

Rob. Welcome to the mad world of ER's, BTW, I love the signature.

It's time for bed now, as we've a long journey home tomorrow.

Goodnight all.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

We had a Maderan folk dance/ music group to help us eat tea. Then a nice walk into town. Did you know they have Morrismen and pipers in Madeira/Portugal. Well we all do now!

Sleep well all.

Baz

• Like 12