The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Another hot and humid night - although we had some rain it did nothing to lower the temperature and just added to the humidity so no doubt the electricity meter went berserk as the ceiling fans were run in an attempt to cool the bedrooms (no, they're not left on overnight).

Ian (Roundhouse) to note that although the Pestival finishes on Sunday a lot of the visitors don't depart until the Monday.  Thanks for the reminder that it's on as if today's shopping trip to Waitrose takes us to Tilehurst I shall be prepared to battle with the motorised component of visitors arriving early.

Have a good day one & all

I am fairly certain that we came through Reading one BH Monday a few years ago in the afternoon and we were fine changing there so fingers crossed this time.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Hot here.

Phil, it did rain last night but the ground dried immediately. Aditi didn't believe me and said I was dreaming!

Dick, I think Snotlings would be very suitable for your railway. I have painted quite a few to help Matthew when his hobby required them. LOTR goblins may also be a possibility.

Tony

• Like 8

.    In the evening Beth came in from playing whist complaining that her left little finger was hurting. It looked a bit out of shape so I persuaded her to get it looked at.  We set off to Dewsbury at 9.45 and were back home by 11.30 with her finger being reset having been dislocated at one of the joints.  Excellent service and thanks to the NHS.   She's of this morning to pick up a very active 3 year old who she's looking after.

Jamie

Kids nowadays! I used to do that myself at school.......fix it I mean. Didn’t need no stinking NHS.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 4

Ta da... BIN day, but again I am not home to do the honours.

Yesterday, finally, some stirrings among the rabble staff at the client. The person charged with waking the managers up requesting the managers check/test their access to the departmental dashboards finally got around to email the bunch of them and...WAIT FOR IT... actually included the SODDING INSTRUCTIONS that I wrote and that should have been sent 6 weeks ago, DID IT! HOO-BLOODY-RAY! :O

Of course, this now means we're getting a stream of "it doesn't work for me" responses. Typical/perfect, since I have maybe 4+ hours left on site before I'm remote-only until the last week of September! Duh!

Whilst some problems can be addressed remotely, so many of the issues are not describe properly/correctly and don't include useful screen shots even after multiple requests, including explicit instructions as to what to capture, so the problems are best solved by me on-site. "Poor planning...etc". Those incapable of following instructions or helping me trouble-shoot from a distance will just have to wait now :jester: which, OF COURSE, means they will all suddenly be urgent and in immediate need of the information at all cost.

Planned escape is going well (there, put my foot in my mouth AGAIN); checked in online, boarding pass ready, weather reported as being pleasant at both ends of the trip, so what can go wrong?? :beee:

20 and sunny driving to my personal prison, a little more humid today but not bad, high expected to be 29 with some light cloud moving in later today - watch THAT turn into tropical storms by the time I'm at JFK <sigh>, maybe travelling on THORsday is my problem :O

Looking forward to getting home, hope everyone completes their own personal THORsday as they wish to.

• Like 1

A'noon all,

Muggy here, there and everywhere or so it seems today, walked out to the car at 3am to go to work and got a tad moist in the process, yet by the time I'd backed 6A50 into the Euroterminal at Willesden three hours later the cab heater was on! Came home on the cushions on a four car 350, rammed to the gunnals but nobody seemed to mind, the only downer being the young oik who boarded at Euston and refused to pay for a ticket when the Guard came through, mild argie-bargie ensued, lots of staring at said young oik by all and sundry, the Guard offered to sell him an off-peak ticket instead of the much more expensive peak one in order to placate him but laddo still refused to open his wallet. Result = one young oik off the train at Milton Keynes! If he can afford the latest headphones, man bag, hair product and general hipster gear why can't he afford to buy a ticket..?

Too moist to do any gardening, Airfix Lamborghini Aventador kit duly assembled, a'noon tea duly quaffed.

Stay safe chums ;)

Edited by Rugd1022

A'noon all,

Muggy here, there and everywhere or so it seems today, walked out to the car at 3am to go to work and got a tad moist in the process,

<snip>

Too moist to do any gardening,

I read in my morning newspaper, that in a survey of British people "moist" was the most unpopular word in the English language.

This is apparently followed by "no", "hate", "like" and "can't".

I can think of far more unpopular words than all of those, although I doubt they would get past the mods.

I would describe today as damp. It certainly doesn't agree with my arthritic joints (but I will smoke them anyway ;)  )

• Like 13

One of my favourite words is gusset . When I was at the ICI training school drawing office all those years ago, and the instructor told us not to section gussets I had to go to the toilet. At least some of my youth is not totally lost.

Ed

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I am familiar with much of that route, and I rather think that despite losing 50 minutes on the M6, it would still be quicker than your alternative! Admittedly, I go to Wokingham which is east Berks, so going via Leominster is a long way West for me. I have taken the A49 route from the M54 up to the M56, but if the M6 is a disaster, a lot of additional traffic tends to go onto the A49, slowing it to a standstill.

I actually find that much of the diversionary traffic tends to go to the East side via Holmes Chapel, but I see your point, and also about the distance West, which is a lot worse for Wokingham than for Newbury, my usual destination.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

It rained a lot in the night and it has been pretty dull most of the day, with showers every now and then. 

All posts have been read, and as ever, with three pages to take on board, a lot to contemplate, and hence I won't comment on any - how I miss the daily synopsis that Jock (rest his soul) used to do, which did make catching up a whole lot easier.  One special mention of Mrs Gwiwer for a favourable outcome, whatever Rick might feel that is.  I get a bit of a feeling about a rock and a hard place with your dilemma, though I'm sure that your former friends over here would be delighted to have you among them again.

Spent the morning visiting the gardens at Sizergh Castle, as last time we went, it was too wet to take them in properly.  THis time it was just damp.

Got to go walkies now, so back later, or more likely, tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 19

Evenin' all,

Best regards to any that ail

I've carried out Is's last wishes by scattering her ashes at her favourite ten places around the coastline of the UK with various friends & family....Southwold, Aldeburgh, Bembridge, Swanage, Sidmouth, Valley of Rocks nr Lynton, St Mawes....two left to do in early September in South West Wales nr St Davids with our best man & his wife. I've now retired and will be moving to a boat on The Norfolk Broads for the first 2 yrs before having it roaded to Cambridge to be floated on the main network of UK canals & rivers to start exploring some of same. I couldn't bring myself to use the camera for the first few scattering points but by the time I was visiting St Mawes, Lynton and Sidmouth I was viewing the whole process in a much more positive light.....

post-7795-0-51784000-1472143436.jpg

post-7795-0-81119200-1472143438.jpg

post-7795-0-55941100-1472143440.jpg

post-7795-0-08562700-1472143467.jpg

post-7795-0-86395300-1472143468.jpg

post-7795-0-62301600-1472143470.jpg

post-7795-0-58615100-1472143472.jpg

post-7795-0-30306600-1472143474.jpg

post-7795-0-06795400-1472143476.jpg

post-7795-0-03446900-1472143478.jpg

post-7795-0-14015400-1472143495.jpg

post-7795-0-30930400-1472143497.jpg

post-7795-0-39758100-1472143499.jpg

post-7795-0-44966300-1472143501.jpg

post-7795-0-57174200-1472143503.jpg

post-7795-0-66875400-1472143505.jpg

post-7795-0-95874400-1472143516.jpg

post-7795-0-76643600-1472143518.jpg

post-7795-0-61570200-1472143520.jpg

post-7795-0-64376500-1472143522.jpg

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 6

Evenin' all,

Best regards to any that ail

I've carried out Is's last wishes by scattering her ashes at her favourite ten places around the coastline of the UK with various friends & family....Southwold, Aldeburgh, Bembridge, Swanage, Sidmouth, Valley of Rocks nr Lynton, St Mawes....two left to do in early September in South West Wales nr St Davids with our best man & his wife. I've now retired and will be moving to a boat on The Norfolk Broads for the first 2 yrs before having it roaded to Cambridge to be floated on the main network of UK canals & rivers to start exploring the whole network. I couldn't bring myself to use the camera for the first few scattering points but by the time I was visiting St Mawes, Lynton and Sidmouth I was viewing the whole process in a much more positive light.....

attachicon.gifP1030576.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030577.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030578.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030592.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030594.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030595.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030597.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030599.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030600.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030601.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030605.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030607.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030609.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030610.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030611.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030612.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030614.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030615.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030618.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030619.JPG

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Some beautiful locations and memories for her Dave, all the very best.

• RMweb Gold

Dave

What a lovely idea. Looks like you had good weather on your side at each location aswell.

I hope that you can keep posting photos from your boat trip around the UK and maybe we can meet up at one such location some day.

Ian

• Like 2

Another hot and humid day which I haven't enjoyed working in for a change. Far too many work related phone calls and emails today but for a change most of them were good news.

Dave - Great to see your photos and looking forward to hearing about the plans in a bit more detail.

Time to find something to help me cool down

• Like 11

Good evening all!

From a sunny 'Darkest West Sussex' where there has been rain, lightening (no thunder) in some areas but not 3 miles up the road!

S

And what size are your Xurons?  If they leave rough ends like that you might want to replace them ;)

Seriously good progress by the way, which it is seriously good to see.  

That looks like a pretty useful rail joint! Chamfered at 45 degrees with fishplates riveted to the rail! Never seen a Xuron produce a joint that good!

A'noon all,

Came home on the cushions on a four car 350, rammed to the gunnals but nobody seemed to mind, the only downer being the young oik who boarded at Euston and refused to pay for a ticket when the Guard came through, mild argie-bargie ensued, lots of staring at said young oik by all and sundry, the Guard offered to sell him an off-peak ticket instead of the much more expensive peak one in order to placate him but laddo still refused to open his wallet. Result = one young oik off the train at Milton Keynes!

Now on the Continent, two of the three (or more) guards on the train would have cornered laddo whilst the third arranged a reception committee for him with BTP or similar at the next convenient station. Just hope MK had operational ticket barriers!

We have some strange ideas on how to run railways in this country!