The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Sunny since before lunch in East Devon. Sidmouth was visited for the button shop (yes, you read that correctly) and there was a stroll along the prom, with dog getting into and out of her chariot when she felt like it. Otterton Mill for coffee and cake, then shopping, then back to the caravan.

Hard life.

And it's still sunny.

BTW the menu in Otterton Mill eateries had all correct spelling and punctuation, unlike the East Devon council car park signs in Sidmouth.

• Like 16

Quick break in from the road.

Mostly 18 degrees and raining all day - playing havoc trying to keep the car demisted all day. Off out again soon for another hour.

Cheers,

Mick

Mick - look on ebay for silica gel packets - they are available in sizes about 4" square - a couple of those on the dashboard will keep it de-misted - if they stop working - replace, and pop the damp ones in the airing cupboard or on a radiator - I've had no problem since coming across this tip

A day that didn't quite go according to plan thanks to clients not providing the access required to parts of the first site.

On slightly better news, I did manage to finish in time to collect the new car. Now all I need is a pilots licence.

In other news, my plans for East Devon this weekend have crashed around my ears. I now need to find something else to do.

Dom - My condolences. Please make sure that you're looking after yourself.

NHN - Congratulations on passing as a driver.

Bob - I'm seriously concerned that your day with any form of tool ended with absolutely no blood spilt. Are you ill? :jester:

Thinking of those ailing, supporting, grieving, recovering and missing

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hey up from a sunny Funchal, Madeira.

Taxi arrived on time this morning, arrived at airport, bag drop meant joining the queu, straight through security, cash received (luckily prebooked at £1= 1.12 Euro.. Now 1.02 euro)

Off rotate 7 which was miles away at LBA..onto plane...take off delayed but early into Madeira ( flight attendant said it was a fair landing ng) we did OK we walked away from it, bags collect edin record time and arrived at hotel OK. Room and excellent. Coral beer and club sandwich for lunch. A long walk to see the cruise ship docked here. Then a bit of eyelid inspection.missed happy hour but hey ho!

Dom sorry to hear the news.

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

About the hole...

Is it one discussed by Jake Thackray? Just look for Jake Thackray "hole"..

Or is it the one who's shape is a concern of a man described by Bernard Cribbins?

I did have a box of holes but her indoors through the hole box out...

Baz

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifBairnsfather.jpg

A tribute to the cartoonist who started the discussion on holes in the first edition of ERs.

First published when Andy York used elastic bands to hold up his socks.

Out of copyright as far as I can see.

The artist of the Old Bill cartoons died in 1959 and most of the cartoons, including that one, were published during the Great War although a few came later.  I have managed to collect over the years a complete set of the original 'combined volumes' of the wartime cartoons.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Bob - I'm seriously concerned that your day with any form of tool ended with absolutely no blood spilt. Are you ill? :jester:

You're concerned? How do you think I feel?   I'm beginning to think that the phlebotomist  :girldevil: drained it all out last week in which case my heart must be pumping air which is what is probably causing my palpitations.  :scratchhead:   :crazy:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a doughnut with a hole in the middle.

I eat half the doughnut.

I have half a doughnut and half a hole?

But .....

If I eat it evenly from the outside I am left with all of the hole.

This hole business is confusing.

Did you calculate the area of the hole using pi? or are you eating pie as well as the doughnut or instead of the doughnut?

• Like 2

Evening all. Not been on here for a couple of days, but seem to have missed so much.

Firstly condolences to Dom - my thoughts are with you.

Neil - congrats on passing as a driver.

John (CB) - I hope you enjoy your holiday. The dog carrier looks fantastic!

Still no word from Dave (TG). I do hope he is ok.

Did you calculate the area of the hole using pi? or are you eating pie as well as the doughnut or instead of the doughnut?

Well that's a (w)hole new issue. Be interesting to see how long this one remains in circle-ation!

Edited by JohnDMJ

• RMweb Gold

So who's going to do a, pointless pie chart then??

Been a busy evening swapping over the old and new mattresses. Even the king size mattress comes rolled up like Ian A's single one from Ikea. It was unrolled yesterday and then clogging up the spare room. The Old one is now in there and new one in place after removing old light above the bed and fitting the wireless switches that control both the bedroom light and all the lights in the house that have smart switches.

A bit of vacuuming up and sort out under the bed and now worn out especially as it's been a very warm day.

Time for a shower then test out the new mattress

• Like 15

So, when heating a hole surrounded by metal, the metal expands......does the hole shrink?

If you're heating the hole, then the metal should shrink, but if you're heating the metal around the hole, then the hole might shrink.

This may not be the whole solution!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

And if you all thought our train journey has suddenly got better on day 2 of no guards required on the Brighton mainline then you would be wrong. Many cancellations tonight due to staff shortages. Ours was delayed getting into Redhill by 20 minutes due to 'congestion' at Redhill.

Edited by roundhouse

And if you all thought our train journey has suddenly got better on day 2 of no guards required on the Brighton mainline then you would be wrong. Many cancellations tonight due to staff shortages. Ours was delayed getting into Redhill by 20 minutes due to 'congestion' at Redhill.

Ian, that is wholly unacceptable.

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You can have half a whole, but can you have a whole half?

• Like 7