The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

A bit more good news from our AS level kids. They've both passed so are OK for their next year in the 6th form. Abbie got  2 Bs, 1 C  and one she didn't want to talk about!  Apparently she has got to drop a subject this year, it wasn't going to be the dodgy one because she thought she'd do better in that however a rethink is now on the cards.

The main thing is tonight's Italian restaurant visit will be  celebration rather than lamentation.  :yes:  :imsohappy:  :danced:

Ooops, almost forgot: A very happy birthday to you Brian.

Second Ooops  I downgraded Abbie's results, now corrected.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Happy birthday to you

Happy birthday to you

Happy birthday dear BSW01

Happy birthday to you.

... and many more of them.

What you said, Peter!  :drinks:

Aditi's sister bought a VW Golf just before all the emissions revelations. I must ask what people in the UK have been offered. I think she mentioned modifications and a lower mpg.

The way I understand coverage of that emission cheating scandal, I don't expect owners in countries outside the U.S. will receive nearly as much in compensation, either material or monetary…

Frankly, if one could be sure that the staff at the front line in production and sales would not be those to suffer most, I would certainly wish for VW to be punished most severely for such blatant fraud. This has nothing to do whatsoever with sincere and reliable engineering skill, which not only Volkswagen have kept boasting of beyond any measure.

I continue to think that the majority of people in executive positions at German car makers in particular do believe they are above the law and get all their bidding done by policy makers at the snap of a finger. And, sadly, they actually do have every reason to believe so, in my opinion. In fact, I have come to the conclusion that they have conclusively proven they cannot be left to just act on supposed free market principles, and do need more or less gentle nudging to innovate beyond riding the dead horse which combustion engines are eventually destined to become – one way or another.

Sorry for getting a bit political.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Happy Birthday, Brian W!

After several days of increasing heat, we finally had the storm to end it last night, although it didn't keep us awake. So today is a bit overcast and has been drizzly. The garden smells fresher, too.

We haven't seen any Olympics, but are delighted to hear GB plc is doing so well, of course. So it is bizarre to find UK residents hurling clods at each other on the Olympics thread. Forums seem to generate arguments out of empty air.

We may pop out for a bit of a wander round La Ferté Bernard later, and some shopping.

Hop your week is progressing well.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Happy birthday Brian.

Has anyone met, or know anyone who has met this situation.

Our mortgage finishes at the end of this month. I had been waiting for letters from the mortgage and endowment (yes, I know) companies with further details etc. These arrived at the start of the month giving the various amounts, instructions etc etc. However, it appears that the endowment is not assigned to the current mortgage holder but to the one we were with at the start of the mortgage which has changed a couple of times since then. The solution suggested was that the current mortgage company has to, with my permission, make a claim of interest in the endowment policy. Then the endowment company has to trace the original firm and get them to rescind their right to claim. I said they could do this at the start of the month and they said they would raise the claim within five working days. Yesterday I got a text saying that they were only dealing with our request now and would do so within five working days. I'm a little concerned that they will be wanting payment in full soon but the endowment business will not be sorted.

Has anyone any knowledge of resolving a similar situation?

Morning all and a very Happy Birthday to Brian ;)

Lawn tidied, leftover weeding from yesterday now completed and the remains duly 'green binned' ready for collection by our municipal chums in the morning, our own cats fed, our neighbour's cat fed, new next door neighbour's first born arrived safely fifteen days after they moved in (!), wee Cooper S and ye olde Jaaaaag both cleaned to within an inch of their very existence, hard to find Lamborghini Countach book just arrived from the United States of Meeerika via superfast postie in double quick time, even harder to find (big heavy) Lamborghini Miura book ordered and on its way, tea poured, tea drunk with gusto, oddball yet loungetastically groovy old Italian film soundtrack from c.1970 ordered for good measure and RMWeb duly webbed!

Did I leave anything out...?

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 15

Morning all

Happy birthday Brian.

Our mortgage finishes at the end of this month. I had been waiting for letters from the mortgage and endowment (yes, I know) companies with further details etc. These arrived at the start of the month giving the various amounts, instructions etc etc. However, it appears that the endowment is not assigned to the current mortgage holder but to the one we were with at the start of the mortgage which has changed a couple of times since then. The solution suggested was that the current mortgage company has to, with my permission, make a claim of interest in the endowment policy. Then the endowment company has to trace the original firm and get them to rescind their right to claim. I said they could do this at the start of the month and they said they would raise the claim within five working days. Yesterday I got a text saying that they were only dealing with our request now and would do so within five working days. I'm a little concerned that they will be wanting payment in full soon but the endowment business will not be sorted.

One of those areas where it would be ill advised to offer barrack room advice I think.

Lots to consider.

With profits? Without profits?

Proof of payments dating back to day one probably.

Bear in mind that it is a Bank Holiday at the end of the month.

SWMBO says get in touch with "Money Matters" on the TV but her expertise is with Eastenders.

• Like 6

Morning all from a grey Scottish HQ.

I've never quite understood why Scottish school summer holidays are so early. Yes, it means that parents can possibly get marginally cheaper holidays while the English schools are off, but it seems perverse to lock the kids back in school from mid-August when the Book Festival and Fringe are taking place in the Capital... Hey ho...

Must say happy birthday to Brian, a huge thumbs up to Rick for an amazingly generous gesture, and greetings to everyone else.

We took part in the pub quiz last night. Going into the total wipeout round we were tied for 4th place in last night's quiz, 5 points behind the leaders. We knew for definite 6 of the 10 questions on the wipeout round, but decided to risk the four answers we weren't 100% certain of in a brave all or nothing attempt... and we got full marks! This left us only one point shy of the winners, so an excellent second place was secured. And we won £40 on the "guess the random number between 1 and 1000" competition - it had rolled over 7 times and we shared the £80 jackpot with another team that had got it spot on. That leaves us 3rd in the league on 50 points, 7 behind the 2nd place team, but miles behind our friends who are on 74.

It is all to do with the harsher winters and the clock changes ie if you close the schools for longer in the winter you don`t have to heat them and the little darlings don`t have to go to school when it is dark for such a long period. Funny they seem to manage in Norway 

It is all to do with the harsher winters and the clock changes ie if you close the schools for longer in the winter you don`t have to heat them and the little darlings don`t have to go to school when it is dark for such a long period. Funny they seem to manage in Norway 

Sorry, 40F, but the schools break-up earlier so that the kids can help farmers bring in the harvests - so it's a 19th century tradition which bears little relation to the 21st.

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Happy birthday Brian.

Every name had changed with our two endowment policies and the mortgage building society. We had paid off our mortgage early and we needed a letter from the building society that no longer existed that they had no interest in our endowment. First attempt, nothing happened but second attempt got through to a nice man at whatever bit of Barclays dealt with former Woolwich mortgages. He said he would write to the endowment people (on their third name! ) but said he would send me a copy too just in case the endowment people lost it. They did.

The first endowment was supposed to be tied to our present house but they just paid it to me and I went down and used to it to pay off a lump of mortgage.

When we did pay off the mortgage it was calculated to the day how much we owed. It all seems so old fashioned.

So my advice is try and find the person in the mortgage company who knows what they are talking about and ask about delays caused by endowment payouts. I suspect it happens frequently.

Our endowments wouldn't have covered the mortgage anyway.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  Happy Birthday Brian

Prophesies of doom unfulfilled here as the weather remained mostly sunny with a decent breeze but not the hoolie we were promised.  Yet.  The weather is approaching and overnight we may yet be woken by the wind smashing into the house and the rain and hail likewise upon it.Took the opportunity to engage in some activity among the small moving objects of interest outside and decreed that the layout, for all its age and exposure, isn't doing too badly and should manage at least the first part of another season.  The length of this season will depend upon SWMBO's career changes. Operation until Christmas / New Year (mid-Summer here) is more or less guaranteed but not beyond.

Still feeling the effects of the germ.  Enjoyed a delivered-to-the-door Thai meal tonight after which we both promptly dozed for a couple of hours claiming exhaustion.  The soft ambience of the merlot might have had something to do with it as well.

No need to POE tomorrow as I'm booked off from Palace duties until 15 o'clock on Moan-day.  Nota lot planned for the weekend either which might be a good excuse for us both to catch up with each other and relax.

Best wishes to all.  

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all rather late on parade today.  For some reason I didn't wake up till after 9 o clock which is very rare for me.  A quick breakfast was then consumed and we set off to DD's house for me to install a ring bolt in the garage floor for her to secure her motorbike to.   I got that task done quite quickly as I had all the correct tools and bits and pieces.   Then came the little request "Daaaaad can you just do......................)   I had a set of screwdrivers with me but no stock of screws and other bits and pieces so it was off to the nearest purveyor of such things to buy three packet of screws, all of which would have been available in my garage at home.   I duly refitted a panel in the bathroom and repaired a bargeboard on the garage.   That took care of most of the morning.   Such are the delights of fatherhood.    

I'm now back home and have had time to catch up on here.

Rick, what a marvellous gesture, I'm sure that your reward will await you at some future point.

Brian, happy birthday. 

I've now got some photo scans to sort out then have to get the prints posted back to their owners,  All new photos of Green Ayre that will help with detailing in due course.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 13

Sorry, 40F, but the schools break-up earlier so that the kids can help farmers bring in the harvests - so it's a 19th century tradition which bears little relation to the 21st.

Mal

Mal,

I was going to offer that explanation; but then I thought, wouldn't the Scottish harvest be later, being mainly further north than the English one?  Prepared to be overruled, however.

Bill

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Every name had changed with our two endowment policies and the mortgage building society. We had paid off our mortgage early and we needed a letter from the building society that no longer existed that they had no interest in our endowment. First attempt, nothing happened but second attempt got through to a nice man at whatever bit of Barclays dealt with former Woolwich mortgages. He said he would write to the endowment people (on their third name! ) but said he would send me a copy too just in case the endowment people lost it. They did.

The first endowment was supposed to be tied to our present house but they just paid it to me and I went down and used to it to pay off a lump of mortgage.

When we did pay off the mortgage it was calculated to the day how much we owed. It all seems so old fashioned.

So my advice is try and find the person in the mortgage company who knows what they are talking about and ask about delays caused by endowment payouts. I suspect it happens frequently.

Our endowments wouldn't have covered the mortgage anyway.

That sounds eminently sensible to me.  On the advice of the rep  converted a life policy into an endowment policy although I (and he) knew it wouldn't cover the mortgage capital repayment but would reduce it by a useful lump.  When it matured I simply paid the amount in to reduce the mortgage outstanding.

Thus it does seem to me (perhaps depending on who holds the loan?) that payment to you and then you paying off the mortgage debt might be the simplest way of doing things.

Mind you the above experience apart I was many years told by another insurance salesman (who also worked with me at the time - insurance selling was his second job) never to go for an endowment mortgage and I duly respected his advice - in retrospect I think he had a point.

• RMweb Gold

Other financial news today. We had a letter telling us that the interest rate on a saving account was being reduced. Aditi's response was that we should just spend it instead of saving.

• Like 11

In other news my bank has been silent about the variable rate on our mortgage since the BoE rate dropped. No doubt if it had gone up they'd have updated our mortgage rate within a nano second. Bunch of sh*tnozzles. No strange mortgages for us. Simple repayment variable rate and can now fix at any time.

• RMweb Gold

Other financial news today. We had a letter telling us that the interest rate on a saving account was being reduced. Aditi's response was that we should just spend it instead of saving.

I remain absolutely convinced that all this business of interest rate reductions is intended to have exactly that effect - just a shame most of it will go on imports.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

In the past few years our mortgage interest rate has gone up a few times whilst our saving interest has continued to fall.

Its tempting ot just pay off the mortgage but I also like to have a large back up fund for what ever could happen in the construction industry.

Just increased my ISA payments but should also increase the mortgage payments and get rid of the protection insurance.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 6

Happy birthday Brian - manage to see this as I checked in here at the latest page to "post"...

BIN day here, and we're finally home after two days of driving. Rather leisurely admittedly given the truck had a limiter so wouldn't do more than 77mph even down hill with a tail wind :O

Unfortunate since the speed limit much of the way was 80, and therefore means you can do 85 without being "nicked".

The first day driving was through Montana and western North Dakota, a lot of up hill/down dale with the truck struggling to maintain 60-65 up some of the longer runs. We also took a break at Theodore Roosevelt National park which is quite a spectacular place worth visiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzg5SsxDpg&feature=youtu.be

Second day leaving around 10:45 and a decent couple of breaks to stretch and eat and we made it home just after 6PM.

Truck almost unloaded, just a few more items today - Jemma and Mrs will complete the task while I work <yawn> then return the truck sometime today.

26 here and sunny, expected to cool down some this week though high today 31 but on 25 for tomorrow.

Will try and work back through the posts later...

Have a good day.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

On the subject of endowment mortgages, we took out an endowment (with profits) mortgage in 1980 when we bought our house. At the 20 years stage, we cashed in our endowment, paid off the mortgage and invested the rest! We did very well out of it and could have paid our mortgage 3 times! I think we were very lucky, I know of many who didn't have enough to pay off there's!

Back later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Not been a bad day, so a trip to Skipton with 30747 and Lily was in order.  Pies duly consumed.

Posts all read and rated - happy birthday Brian, and a special mention to Rick for his generous gesture which brought a little lump to my throat.

Other than that, it's a quick look in, so back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good evening everyone.

On the subject of endowment mortgages, we took out an endowment (with profits) mortgage in 1980 when we bought our house. At the 20 years stage, we cashed in our endowment, paid off the mortgage and invested the rest! We did very well out of it and could have paid our mortgage 3 times! I think we were very lucky, I know of many who didn't have enough to pay off there's!

Back later.

One of my brothers got caught with his Endowment.

Luckily we had good advice that an Endowment was unlikely to pay off our mortgage.

• Like 10