The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Mick - hopefully it has all gone well. Dom - hope a positive outcome occurs.

Long day - drove to Kenilworth ..scored two T20s.. we won one and lost one. Long drive back and then catch up time..

A bit of umpiring tomorrow.  Yorkshire U14As v ???? at Headingley.

Sleep well all

Baz

You umpires seem to travel to umpire. Heres you travelling south to umpire matches and there's my cousin from Basildon way travelling and staying in Southwold. Arent matches available locally?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

You umpires seem to travel to umpire. Heres you travelling south to umpire matches and there's my cousin from Basildon way travelling and staying in Southwold. Arent matches available locally?

I was scoring today by invitation of the MCC North East T20 captain. 

Scorers and umpires will travel anywhere so long as the teas are good    :sungum:    

• Like 11

Evening all. Generic best wishes to all. A quick check in at the end of a busy day. Sarah, Amber and I had an enjoyable visit to the Great Central Railway for their Teddy Bear's picnic event. A very nice day. Sarah and I both had an all day breakfast from the griddle car on the 12.15 service from Loughborough. Amber got very excited by the sight of the teddy bear and the basket of sweets. After a run to Leicester behind the 8F we dropped off at Rothley on the return journey so she could visit the fair ground. We then picked up the 9F on its run to Leicester and then back to Loughborough. A nice bottle of real ale consumed too.

Summer steam miles now up to just over 125. Back there tomorrow in a working capacity.

Enjoy your Thursday.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good evening from Estuary land. Neil, With any leg or hip problems a people carrier is a must for ease of getting in or out. Roundhouse, your picture reminded me of when I used to travel to work by bus long ago, when the bus to work was an RT type with the open rear platform. There was a school near to where I worked and of a morning the bus was packed with kids going to school. One morning a lad of about 13 sat on the offside lengthways seat over the back wheel with his bag on the seat beside him. The conductor asked him to move his bag as some passengers were standing, the answer was "Why should I". The conductor then demonstrated why he should have moved his bag by grabbing said bag and throwing it off the platform of the moving bus. :jester:  With that its goodnight all.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

A quick visit to reassure all that I'm still alive and taking an interest.  Sadly not "alive and well" however as I'm in bed with a severe cold and have been for several days now.  Prior to that we had a weekend of mixed fortunes spending Saturday night at Brother-in-Law's to babysit six year-old nephew while his parents enjoyed a rare night out.  They had been gone two hours when nephew tapped on our bedroom door to announce that he had vomited.  In the bed, down the wall, into the carpet and all over his books.  Choice.  Mum and dad cut their evening short and came home by which time we had everything well on the way to being cleaned up.

Rewind to Friday night before that.  On duty from 15 o'clock at the Palace for the busy evening peak and a large crowd expected for the evening's football match.  At 4.45 we received notice from the police to stop all trains through Richmond (one stop out and the equivalent of Clapham Junction in network terms) as a trespasser was on the line.  Trespasser decided to climb the overhead stanchion and stay up there until finally coaxed down at 7.30pm.  By which time we had the entire evening peak cancelled on many lines and the football crowds unable to get in to town.  Services were restored soon after the power went back on.  We had run two trains through to destination when we received word of a fatality on my line and all trains were to stop once more.  Before that was cleared there was a second fatality affecting three other lines meaning everything which was blocked from 4.45 was once more blocked while these were dealt with.

It comes with the job.  But it doesn't make the task any easier.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off back to bed with the Codral, a selection of herbal and vitamin pills and a large pack of tissues.  Best wishes to all.  See you soon.

• RMweb Premium

Far too polite, I'd have simply sat down on her knee.

After having moved the offending bag.  

In my commuting days such occurrences were dealt with swiftly and without comment.  One person one seat was the rule enforced by fellow commuters.  Any part of you or your property which exceeded this allowance was smartly moved by others into a more confined space and the otherwise "reserved" seat then used for its assigned purpose.  The only exception being the equally unwritten rule that an umbrella or rolled Evening News diagonally across the seat meant its occupant was obtaining refreshment in the buffet car and would be returning to reclaim their seat.  Woe betide if you sat there ....... 

• Like 14

Morning All,

We have a nice bright sunny morning here, but pretty cold for the time of year.  It was only 6°C in the forest this morning.

There isn't a lot else to report, so have a good day everyone...

• Like 12

Good morning one and all

It seems to have been counter-productive to have my bath before coming to RMweb as I am now sitting here dripping in perspiration.  Maybe my lurgi will be sweated out, maybe not.  Yesterday I bought some higher octane cough linctus - not nitroglycerine, honey and lemon but something of that ilk - and some more baby shampoo for removing the gunk from my eyes that the drops prescribed were supposed to prevent.  Proprietary eye lotion does not work as I learned two years ago that I have an allergy to one of the preservatives that it contains.

While the car was being serviced yesterday I attacked the garden.  Somme of the triffids have been cleared but more remains to be done.  I finally decommissioned the plastic structure which was supposed to grow strawberries but gave poorer results than the part of the garden devoted to the crop.  The friend who gave me the tomato plant expressed an interest in it so he is welcome to it.

Today I will tackle the ironing, honest guv, but another job has arisen which needs to be done first.  Tomorrow will see another fodder run.  On Tuesday I discovered that in my absence on holiday the layout of the supermarket had been significantly altered.   By what logic does the canned fruit now live next to the porridge and the vegetable oil alongside the bacon?  Grrr.

Oh well, best wishes to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving, missing, coughing and depressed.  My sympathies to poorly sick Rick.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Morning everyone.

It's raining and I've just heard a traffic report on the radio that the M60 is down to 1 lane where there is 4, due to an upturned car! Cockwombles no doubt! So I think a detour is the order of the day as I would normally pass that way going north. I'm going to pick up the M6 near Lymm for my journey to Lancaster, where I have 3 sites to visit. They are all fairly easy and straight forward jobs, but we all know what can happen.

To quote Captain Oakes "I'm just going outside, I may be some time".

Back later.

Morning all from the boring borough.

Mick, hopefully she'll return from the fairies in short order. The hospital won't keep her empty bed waiting forever. :jester:

All quiet here. Foot still really bothering me. Went down the pain killer and naproxen route and after 11h of "sleep" I still feel dozy and still in pain. (well dozier than usual before anyone else says it) Yesterday was a complete write off. Today I'm hoping to be able to hobble to the shed for a few hours of modelling. There I said it. I'm not afraid of you Debs. Do your worst. :girldevil:

On that note, time to hobble down the stairs.

Have a great day everyone.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Rather dull and dismal here but should stay dry but cloudy with some sunny periods.

Not a bad day at the office yesterday for some of the GB Olympics squad particularly in and on water and the rugby sevens team are through to the semi finals. Last night's game against Argentina was a cracker and did not do my heart rate any good. We've only got to beat South Africa now to be sure of a medal but the way things are going in this competition anything could happen. .

Rather a mundane day on the domestic front with bins and shopping the most exciting things to be done. Perhaps I should take up a hobby like....er....railway modelling?

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning form a cloudy London.

Bus form home ot Coulsdon Town then a half hour wait for the train on this non strike day strike service. Got two seats together today as a little quieter than yesterday. Good job that we didnt try of Thameslink from Redhill as one service was only 4 coaches and thats been full and standing on other days hence why we havent used Redhill at all this week.

A great night last night at the Rake 10th Anniversary even got the T shirt!!

Home tonight and some modelling with any luck.

Has anyone seen SUMMER?

I've had to put my Lilly white legs away again for another few days. need to get out the Vest, woolly hat and thermal socks again soon, and that's just for INDOORS.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a cloudy village but that's greener than the Olympic diving pool.

Mick, hope your other half recovers well. One of my co conspirators on Green Ayre, developed the first long lasting artificial hip joint and spent a lot of his time sorting out the ones that others couldn't.

ChrisF, you're not alone in cursing supermarkets that relocate items. Beth emerged from Asda on Tuesday cursing them for the same thing, why had they moved the chicken to opposite the cheese counter and the fresh soup was now where the chicken had been.

Dom, glad that your first day back went OK and good wishes to Jo.

Anyway the structure of the day will become clear in due course but I suspect that some general tidying will be on the cards this morning with some modelling this afternoon and an evening of being a sporting couch potato watching the Rugby and cycling.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It has been raining here most of the night, game today is off. Her indoors has a long list of things to do so I will be busy all day.

Team GB did well yesterday..hard work pays off.

Have a nice day/evening.

Mickb I hope all is well today

Rick. I hope the potions and unctions work

Debs. Hope everything is OK

Just had my joining instructions for the STEAM Exhibition at Swindon.. Yippeedddoo!

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I've just heard a traffic report on the radio that the M60 is down to 1 lane where there is 4, due to an upturned car! Cockwombles no doubt!

In the past week the A30 Hayle by-pass has been closed four times over a total of five days.  

1.  Accident caused by a U-turning vehicle

2.  Fatal accident apparently caused by a U-turning vehicle

3.  Major fire at St. Erth arising from which the emergency services requested the A30 be closed to act as their quick-response route

4.  Accident caused by a U-turning vehicle in collision with an overtaking motorcyclist

C0ckwombles in Cornwall seem not to understand the concept of patience.  The by-pass has roundabouts at either end which generate not inconsiderable queues fora few weeks each summer but which otherwise cope perfectly well with normal traffic.  The road is three lanes as dictated by the width available through a single arch of the railway viaduct.  In each direction there are two lanes on the uphill stretch merging to one for the downhill stretch with the summit slightly closer to the "London" end.  I have witnessed plenty of vehicles making these unlawful U-turns rather than wait their turn.  Sure it's frustrating when you want to be somewhere but hello - this is a major holiday area at peak holiday time - expect congestion.  Were I to have any influence I would build a raised kerb dividing strip topped with those tin barriers to prevent such turns.  The emergency services still have hard shoulders to get through when needed.  Until some ar$ebadger drives along those and then gets stuck waiting at the roundabout ..... 

• Like 1

Yes, the rain has been falling steadily all night, here on the 'drier side of Britain'  :scratchhead:

Luckily I am 'ahead of the game' since I purchased and spread another box of 'Aftercut' yesterday afternoon !

Whether the grass will now turn from brown to green is anyone's guess ........

Summer returns next week...apparently..

• Like 13

I’m writing this at 3:52 am, so, Good Morning!

Summer continuing precisely per normal. It is currently 77f  (25C) - probably the coolest it will get today - and rather humid. At Midnight it was still 80f!

As I have said many times before it does makes my joints feel more flexible and that’s important to me.

All the best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3

Morning all from a cloudy village but that's greener than the Olympic diving pool.

Mick, hope your other half recovers well. One of my co conspirators on Green Ayre, developed the first long lasting artificial hip joint and spent a lot of his time sorting out the ones that others couldn't.

ChrisF, you're not alone in cursing supermarkets that relocate items. Beth emerged from Asda on Tuesday cursing them for the same thing, why had they moved the chicken to opposite the cheese counter and the fresh soup was now where the chicken had been.

Dom, glad that your first day back went OK and good wishes to Jo.

Anyway the structure of the day will become clear in due course but I suspect that some general tidying will be on the cards this morning with some modelling this afternoon and an evening of being a sporting couch potato watching the Rugby and cycling.

Regards to all.

Jamie

I understand that supermarkets rearrange the layouts from time to time to increase sales, the logic being that, when wandering around trying to find things on your shopping list, you will spot items that you had forgotten you needed or didn't know you needed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I think it is Thursday.

Not a lot happening today until late afternoon when Robbie has an appointment for a blood test. He seems very well and showing no warning signs of low calcium. His stitches may be able to be removed too, though he isn't bothered by them and hasn't needed a lampshade.

Matthew said there were interesting food trucks in Shoreditch but he thought the vegetarian doner van was a bit too much.

Tony

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I understand that supermarkets rearrange the layouts from time to time to increase sales, the logic being that, when wandering around trying to find things on your shopping list, you will spot items that you had forgotten you needed or didn't know you needed.

I know why they do it. Zoos hide their animals food to stimulate their lives. Unlike the zoo residents I choose another supermarket instead.

Morning all. Late on parade but I certainly didn't end up getting up late. I've had several phone calls to deal with since 06:30 but at least all the problems have been sorted out.

A day of report writing so at least I'll get a chance to pop back later

Have a good day everyone

• Like 3