The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all. A slightly better nights sleep with a little less disturbance.

Coffee being consumed prior to heading off to the midlands and another will be going with me.

My attendance on these pages may be a bit patchy until I get home sometime on Wednesday purely due to a lack of time.

Brian - An excellent time.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 13

Good morning one and all

The catching up continues after my holiday with one lot of laundry to be hung up to dry, another ready for ironing [unlike me] and still a very full laundry basket.  The fodder run will happen this morning, putting me back firmly in the old routine.  Philosophically I observe that amid the letters of the word "routine" may be found those of the word "rut".  Let that be a warning.

Later I should assemble my shopping list for RailWells.  This year I am going on Sunday.  Normally I drop in sort of on my way home from Sidmouth but this year the calendar has other ideas and the dates do not match.  Sunday is quieter and I get longer there but even by my crazy standards it is daft to drive from Sidmouth to Bedford one day and Bedford to Wells the next.

Stewart 45156, I remember Bill Rutter very well.  My first visit to the festival was in 1975 and I have only missed two since.  In 1975 I did not own a car so I lugged myself, rucksack and tent from Bedford to St Pancras, across to Paddington, down through the desert to Exeter St Davids, up the hill to Exeter bus station and on the bus to the Triangle at Sidmouth.  My most abiding memory of that festival was the antics of Magic Lantern.  As part of a stunt outside the Manor Pavilion a "policeman" was called on to restore order and afterwards put himself on point duty.  This actor was the late Mel Dean, much later a sadly missed workmate in the Government Office for the East of England.  Small world, ain't it?

Best wishes to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving, missing and depressed.

Chris  

• Like 17

' Evening / morning all.

A trip to Conwy this afternoon for a fish n chips dinner with youngest.

attachicon.gifIMG_1532a.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1527a.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1528a.JPG

(Thinking, "Have I got enough of these things on CQ?"!!!}

attachicon.gifIMG_1524a.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1525a.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1526a.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1539a.JPG

The 1J70 1730 Holyhead to Shrewsbury, departing Conwy through the arch of the town walls, with youngest off home.  Handy tip - this train doesn't stop at stations between Llandudno and Chester.

attachicon.gifIMG_1544a.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1540a.JPG

Bed now..

' Night all.  Nos da.

Sleep tight.

Conway is one of my favourite places, Polly.

In fact I've left my muscles to the Museum there.

• RMweb Gold

Another sunny morning here at Caterham station. Driver here today awaiting the arrival of the empty stock.

Not sure which way to try and get home on day 2 of the strike as the A23 at Hooley has roadworks so a bus from Coulsdon Town might take a long time.

post-1557-0-60302100-1470721090_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-44608900-1470721106_thumb.jpg

Morning All,

It is rather a grey morning here, and it has been raining quite hard on and off.

The office is quite empty at the moment as quite a few people are on leave.  I have two weeks leave starting next week.

Sympathies to all those feeling unwell, or having to deal with Southern.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a sunny village. Yesterday went quite well except for the effect on my wallet. We got the first appointments over then went into Leeds. A certain person decided she wanted some perfume for her birthday present and afterwards I had to wave my bank card around to cool it down. We then found a lovely little independent deli and had some lunch. Eggs Royale for me and a cold fish platter for Beth, served in nice surroundings by good staff. Such a pleasant change from chain offerings. Then on to Jimmy's (St James' hospital) to visit a friend and Beth's 2nd appointment. Then home 7 hours after leaving. Eyelids were inspected before tea time, then a good evening at the clubrooms.

Anyway the ironing now waits once breakfast is consumed. Hopefully there will be some modelling later.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny and quite warm.

I have a couple of days off from taking Robbie for blood tests.

I think replacing rotten wood at the base of a bird table is quite likely to be my task for the day.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Another sunny start and looks like it will be a nice day.

Peaceful here at the moment but this is just the lull before Storm Chris arriving downstairs and declaring "we need to do something".

I will just go with the flow.

Bit disappointed with the women's rugby sevens yesterday as a couple of silly mistakes probably cost us a medal. However the Aussies rightly won the gold and I thought the tournament was a credit to rugby. Now let's see what our men can do.

It's still  rather quiet here which is  good,

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17

Morning all from the valley of the Sheaf. Mrs HB off to Skegvegas for the day with the grandkids so I get a please to myself. I have an appointment at 10am with the guitar doctor, so will be heading off shortly in order to spend lots of folding beer vouchers on about three and a half feet of nickel silver wire and a small piece of bone. One day I'll find a hobby that doesn't cost a coupe of hundred quid every time I even think about it. I should have it back by Saturday.

From there I think I may invest some more folding beer vouchers on ... beer, before wending my way back home and catching up on a few 'while I'm out can you just's before 'erself arrives back. I have a feeling brownie points earned may come in useful later in the week.

Have a good day all.

Oh and nice hat Dudders :)

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I have an appointment at 10am with the guitar doctor, so will be heading off shortly in order to spend lots of folding beer vouchers on about three and a half feet of nickel silver wire and a small piece of bone.

A new nut and refret then?  Nor cheap, and a job I'd only entrust to a good luthier - or do it myself, which I did with my vintage Hofner, though it took a lot longer than til Saturday to get the job done properly.

Morning All

Dry/wet/dry/wet this morning, but wind has gone.

Posts from last night all read and rated, and greetings are sent to all who need them. 

Chris, I spent a couple of summers working in Sidmouth in the summer in hotels, and managed to fit bits of the festival into my days off and time between shifts.  This was just before your first visits.  There was one venue that I remember well called the Beach Store, which had a gravel floor, and scrunched when anybody moved.  I remember going to a guitar workshop there with Bob Axford, which was quite a noisy affair.  One year, I met a guitar maker at one of the events, and came home with a lot more luggage than I started off with, as I bought one of his unusual creations. 

Got to go soon, as got to get petrol and a few comestibles.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 15

Morning y'all. Off for the rest of the week so what happens??? I manage to b*gger up my foot again. Currently hobbling about waiting for the naproxen to kick in. Plan A: café across the street for breakkie, then off to Ken Olympia for an afternoon of beer. Plan B: wallow in self pity and sit on the patio with the maximum safe amount of co-codimal pumping through my veins.

Have a good one.

• RMweb Gold

Morning y'all. Off for the rest of the week so what happens??? I manage to b*gger up my foot again. Currently hobbling about waiting for the naproxen to kick in. Plan A: café across the street for breakkie, then off to Ken Olympia for an afternoon of beer. Plan B: wallow in self pity and sit on the patio with the maximum safe amount of co-codimal pumping through my veins.

Have a good one.

I would stick with plan A if I were you.

Checked the wrist bands for the Rake Anniversary bash tomorrow. We have evening entry ones.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Have a good one.

Plan C could be use plan B and then do some activity that this forum is supposed to be all about but that we can't mention on this thread for fear of the awl.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

Just noticed that "rotten wood" had been transformed by the predictive text to "rotten Wodehouse" in my post this morning! Now corrected!

That was one of the best predictive text changes I have read. You must have the 'Literary predictive text dictionary' selected as default.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

I set off from home in lovely warm sunshine and had to don my sunglasses. However, by the time I'd reached Chorley it had started to rain. It's steadily got heavier and heavier, this lasted until I reached Lancaster, where the sun came out! I'm in Kendal now and it's sunny warm and dry.

Time for a drink of iced tea me thinks!

Back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny here this morning so a quick trip (hobble?) down to town beckons. A bit of gardening is on the books for today some time this week. I will need to get the neccessary bits and pieces to finish off the front garden later this week, although most of it will be gravelled over a few (low maintainence) shrubs will be going in. PS Nice hat OD. PPS I didn't spot Tony's predictive text this morning, time to wake up methinks (having got out of bed more than two hours ago).

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Things must be catching GDB as I've already had both barrels of 'let's get out and do something today' - when asked for suggestions as to what 'something' we might do or which 'somewhere' we might go a silence ensued.  However I'm convinced my fate is sealed so 'out' we will probably go. (I wonder if I should take those money off fora  return visit vouchers for Didcot GWS -ah, thought not.  Then there's Waddesdon Manor - which is near Quainton Road - now that might just work, hmm

Have a  good day one & all

PS Waddesdon not open on Tuesdays - time to rethink or pass the baton

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Dick, there were a lot of Chinese there and they were trying to hog the phone box for photos. It seems that just one or two won't suffice but they seem to need to fill their memory card completely.

In other news it's still quiet here so I've been doing a bit of tidying in the garden and cleaning the BBQ and trying to make myself invisible.

• Like 10