The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

It's been like that for a few weeks now Andy, as J34 is being rebuilt, and there are lane closures in both directions - I'd suggest that it's worth taking a detour round it, coming off at Preston onto the A59 to Gisburn, then the A 682 to Long Preston (with optional visit to what's left of Jamie's last layout), A65 to Crooklands, then rejoin M6 at J36.  Most people detouring appear to be coming off at 33, and up the A6 to rejoin at 35, which is having knock on effects for the roads in Lancaster as the A6 is part of the one way system.

It is similar on the way back South, and there is also a closure in place from 36 to 35 at night, with all Southbound traffic being sent down the A6 instead.  Best avoided, and my route is probably the least bad option to keep you moving.

Ta for the info. I'm actually staying over near Windermere on the way back, so we'll certainly be missing out a chunk of the M6. The MiL is travelling up later in the week so I'll let her know about this. 

I'll get the map out and take a look at the route you suggest. Thanks. Andy 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

A splendidly scenic diversion. I can see the A59 as I type. You'll even see signs towards wife's work. Wave at me when you pass.

There is a "sneaky" short cut that misses out Gisburn and passes through Sawley, Wigglesworth and across Rathmell bottoms.... (yes - it is called that - the flood plain of the River Ribble south east of Settle). But if you miss a couple of turns then you could get hopelessly lost with only the local sheep for company...............

Cheers,

Mick

Scenic it may be, but last time the M6 got knackered, it saved me about two hours - and as for the "short cut" which I think is also signed to "Gardenmakers" comes out near Giggleswick, and I have never yet managed to get it right, and have wound up in all sorts of places as a result.  There's signs to "Gardenmakers" from both sides, but not a lot in the middle - best avoided, though Jamie as a former resident of those environs would probably say it's quite easy!

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Premium

A splendidly scenic diversion. I can see the A59 as I type. You'll even see signs towards wife's work. Wave at me when you pass.

There is a "sneaky" short cut that misses out Gisburn and passes through Sawley, Wigglesworth and across Rathmell bottoms.... (yes - it is called that - the flood plain of the River Ribble south east of Settle). But if you miss a couple of turns then you could get hopelessly lost with only the local sheep for company...............

Cheers,

Mick

What's wrong with having sheep for company especially if you're from Wales.

Jamie

PS, I know that road via Rathmell very well, it was our route to the motorway network at Preston when I was a kid.  If you know the back lanes you can keep off the A65 nearly all the way to Ingleton.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

What's wrong with having sheep for company especially if you're from Wales.

Jamie

PS, I know that road via Rathmell very well, it was our route to the motorway network at Preston when I was a kid.  If you know the back lanes you can keep off the A65 nearly all the way to Ingleton.

Great for cycling along, avoiding the Settle by-pass near Giggleswick station.

I've had cause to travel to Settle a couple of times in the last few weeks and will be doing so again next week. Two weeks after and I'm up to Kirkby Lonsdale, so that's another spin that way. I'm trying to plan in an early set-off, so I can call in at Devil's Bridge for a brew and butty. It used to be a regular stop on our motorbike trips to/from the Lakes or Dales.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

As regards the diversion, I would recommend it though it's a while since I travelled that way.  Gardenmakers was not in existence when I lived there (1958 to 71).  The route via Long Preston is easy and as mentioned Long Preston does have the station area of a certain O gauge layout on display.  The village hall is open most Saturdays in the summer for a coffee morning in aid of something or other.  Turn left at Rohan clothing opposite the Maypole pub.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Hey up!

We won our first game yesterday but lost the final off the last ball.

I stayed at my sister's house overnight and returned home via Tony Wright's home. His layout is coming along very well.

The A1 was hard work compared to the easy drive down to Market Feeling yesterday.

Enjoy the rest of today wherever you are.

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Ta for the info. I'm actually staying over near Windermere on the way back, so we'll certainly be missing out a chunk of the M6. The MiL is travelling up later in the week so I'll let her know about this. 

I'll get the map out and take a look at the route you suggest. Thanks. Andy 

From WIndermere, instead of joining the M6 at J36 off the A590, carry on across the roundabout, on the A65.  As the traffic is backed up North of J34, on the South, and South of J34 on the Northbound, there's no need to visit Gisburn on the return, as this dodge will get you on at J34.  Stay on the A65 to Kirkby Lonsdale, then after crossing the Lune, turn RIGHT onto the A683 signed to Lancaster (the A683 crosses the A65 on a staggered junction, and if you take the first junction left, you'll wind up heading for Sedbergh - not a good idea) .  Come down through Hornby (no connection with the trains, unfortunately), then Caton, and meet the M6 at J34 turning left onto the Southbound.  I use that to come home from the lakes all the time, as I live in the Lune Valley, and it is only ten minutes longer than a clear motorway. 

• RMweb Premium

The village hall is open most Saturdays in the summer for a coffee morning in aid of something or other.  Turn left at Rohan clothing opposite the Maypole pub.

Jamie

But you won't get a pint there at the mo, as the pub is closed with a "To Let" board outside.

I thought Ian's new portrait looks like an old master painter.

Check spelling.

Disagree. :O More like an “Impressionist” painter..........certainly befits his location.

Nice hat, Ian!

Best, Pete.

• Like 10

well thats my lady on her way back to Arbroath for three weeks of house sitting for her rents dont envy her that journey on the magabus but £3 manchester - dundee cant be turned down !

leaves me with the cats and a lot of spare time good news strong chance of a driving job with a local haulage company more tommorow whence the transport  manager returns fingers crossed everyone eh 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

Early home this afternoon, well before Mrs had put the kettle on mind. The weather is absolutely gorgeous at the moment, sunny and warm, completely different to this morning. It's so nice that I think I'll go and jump in the Quays, a training session mind, I've no intention of ending it all.

Peanuts. Good luck with the job prospects.

Ian. Love the hat!

Back later.

• Like 13

well thats my lady on her way back to Arbroath for three weeks of house sitting for her rents dont envy her that journey on the magabus but £3 manchester - dundee cant be turned down !

leaves me with the cats and a lot of spare time good news strong chance of a driving job with a local haulage company more tommorow whence the transport  manager returns fingers crossed everyone eh 

now having to change coach at glasgow due to this one breaking so first one 85 late into manchester  so fresh one laid on to keep them on  time  departing

then this breaks down in glasgow can anybody imagine the headlines in the mail if this was rail ?

• RMweb Gold

Doggy update.

Robbie isn't showing the least symptom of hypocalcaemia but his blood test today showed he was now at the lower limit of normal. So he got his calcium supplements increased and we go back on Thursday. If the price of having a normal dog again is daily calcium supplements it isn't too bad. It is absolutely no problem getting him to take them.

Tony

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Robbie's tests reminded me of something that happened years ago.

I was teaching science at the time. One of the pottery teachers asked the lab technician for some calcium. He often came down for odd things for special glazing finishes, but the technician asked did he really want calcium. He said the vet had said his goats were calcium deficient and needed supplements. We explained what would have happened if he had introduced metallic calcium into his goat.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

The new fences have now been installed in front of the house and a very good job was done as well. In fact two of my neighbours have asked me for the phone number of the fencing contractor. Now the front of the house itself is looking rather tatty but nothing that a lick of paint won't deal with.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

The new fences have now been installed in front of the house and a very good job was done. as well. In fact two of my neighbours have asked me for the phone number of the fencing contractor. Now the front of the house itself is looking rather tatty but nothing that a lick of paint won't deal with.

I recently painted the side entrance wrought iron gate. That made the garage and front door look in need of care! I hadn't really noticed.

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

Once again it was quiet at the Quays just over 40 swimming throughout the evening. The sun was also out too, but when I got out of the water at 8:00 to get changed the weather also changed, it was chucking it down, so much so that by the time I'd walked the 100 yards or so to the car park I was as wet as when I came out of the Quays.

Edit: my time for a mile tonight was 00:47:32, big smilie face :-)

I'm off to bed now.

Goodnight all.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Meeting attended.

A problem I raised about an event on Saturday has been responded to with a don't raise this again..well I have covered my back if things go wrong.

Cricket meeting tonight was productive but didn't finish while 10pm.

Off to bed as my busy schedule is catching up on me.

Sleep well all.

Baz

Edited by Barry O