The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Very windy here so my wife is not going to car boot sales today. That means she will be supervising my re-sealing the gap between bath and tiles that I managed to cock up yesterday. For some reason the sealant set too quickly and was going off before I could smooth it and it ended up lumpy in places,  which means it will have to be stripped out and redone. I watched a Youtube video of a chap sealing a bath and he made it look simple, which was partly due to him using a new bath with no taps fitted. When you are trying to get a smooth line around the back of the taps and cannot get your fingers in because the gap is too narrow that's when you need a clever dick on Youtube to show how it is done. Although he did say smooth the sealant with a bit of white spirit on your finger, never heard that before, I will give it a try.

Stay safe all.

She didn't miss much, I can assure you.  Now then, about that bath....We seem to be having similar problems with lumps, but I'm going to leave mine alone.

Afternoon All

From the above, you'll guess that I did go car booting this morning, and it was a waste of time!

Other than that, not a great deal, but all posts read and rated, and generic greetings are on offer.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 8

Robbie didn't get taken to the pub. We had a nice lunch at home. I am just about to drive Matthew over to MiL's house to meet the relatives. Aditi seems keen to stay at home with Robbie and relax in the garden!

Tony

So SiL & GSiL are off to MiL so that Matthew can meet the iLs whilst daughter stays home with Robbie?

Sounds worse than living on the Isle of Wight (which I did for 11 years!)

Have a good afternoon!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone.

Another dry day, cloudy but warm and it was a lot windier than yesterday, I'm glad I wasn't man handling the large flat sail like sides, roof and ends, as I may have been transported into next doors garden!

Another day spent outside, the area is now clear, plenty of recycled wood for making an arbor is now stored safely in the cellar. I'll have to make a couple of trips to the tip this week as I've 2 large plastic boxes full of wood that is rotten or useless. Next weekend I'll check the hard-standing is level and make alterations if required, ready for my new shed.

On the subject of sealing round baths. I usually fill the gap between the bath and the wall before tiling, this one doesn't have to be pretty. Once the tiling is finished, I apply masking tape to the wall and the bath, about 15mm from the gap, this gives a nice neat hard edge, that makes far less likely to peel off! I then half fill the bath with water and apply the mastic, usually a small bead about 7-8mm, as it will soon spread when smoothing off.

Back later.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all. Welcome back Chris, I wish I could have been there too.

Wheel changing. Most new cars come without a spare wheel now-there is often nowhere to put one. But what on earth was that man thinking of, stopping to "help" on the motorway? Quite apart from breaking the law, he placed his family at risk by leaving them in the car on the hard shoulder. The ONLY correct course of action is to get behind the barrier and call for help. You don't need to walk to the emergency phone any more, and the nearest 100m post will give your location to the emergency services. The first Police or Highways Authority vehicle along will almost certainly stop (and probably help a damsel in distress!), parking a large vehicle in a position to protect the broken down vehicle.

We were talking about reading the Highway Code recently, the "good Samaritan" clearly doesn't.

Ed

I have stressed this to Junior NB in the past about calling the emergency services for "protection". She also has Green Flag cover but the guy had the wheel done and dusted in about 5 minutes before she could argue.. The motorway was quite heavy with traffic and stop/start. (Which is no excuse, I know, as it could easily have got moving again)

Next time, she'll make every effort to use the emergency phone as it's better for an exact location.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

On Friday evening we heard a sort of barking-bellowing noise in the garden - turned out to be a muntjac.  Same again most of Saturday during the day and again this morning - the same again but a while back the noise stopped.  On his return from breakfasting at 'spoons laddo noticed we had two muntjac in the front garden - so obviously the noise worked and attracted a pal, ran like a rocket when it saw the camera. 

Your muntjacs will in all probability have "escaped" from somewhere in the vicinity.About a decade ago,I awoke one morning to see one on our lawn facing off a domestic moggie who happened to be passing through on its travels.Thankfully,it did not pay us a return visit,the only other sighting being sometime later on the lawn of the house opposite.Ours was a refugee fron the NT estate at Calke Park which is about 5 miles away.Escaped deer are a confounded nuisance,as anyone driving on roads around Cannock Chase will tell you and are the cause of many road accidents.Apart from which,they are voracious strippers of young trees and shrubs and will do your garden no good whatsoever.Bambi maybe sweet to look at but is best viewed with knife and fork in hand on a plate at your dining table as a visit to the farm butcher adjacent to Calke Park will testify.Their fencing would now do credit to Colditz Castle.Now if you feel really enterprising and know someone who has a licence to..........and a good butcher.....

• RMweb Gold

Your muntjacs will in all probability have "escaped" from somewhere in the vicinity.About a decade ago,I awoke one morning to see one on our lawn facing off a domestic moggie who happened to be passing through on its travels.Thankfully,it did not pay us a return visit,the only other sighting being sometime later on the lawn of the house opposite.Ours was a refugee fron the NT estate at Calke Park which is about 5 miles away.Escaped deer are a confounded nuisance,as anyone driving on roads around Cannock Chase will tell you and are the cause of many road accidents.Apart from which,they are voracious strippers of young trees and shrubs and will do your garden no good whatsoever.Bambi maybe sweet to look at but is best viewed with knife and fork in hand on a plate at your dining table as a visit to the farm butcher adjacent to Calke Park will testify.Their fencing would now do credit to Colditz Castle.Now if you feel really enterprising and know someone who has a licence to..........and a good butcher.....

I think the most likely 'escape' is from the bunch that used to frequent our garden - I think our past record, one Christmas eve morning, was five of them helping themselves to spilt bird food under the feeders in the front garden; the neighbour who saw them wondered what on earth was happening.   A more amusing episode a few years back was a muntjac cheerfully chomping away on some toadstools while a couple of feet from two of the young foxes were playing with a ball.

There is no closed season for Muntjac deer, and they do not receive the same protection in law as they are an invasive (non British) species.

Regrettably from (my viewpoint; fortunately from Mrs Stationmaster's) my .177 air rifle is unlikely to make much impression on them, and certainly not one which achieves a 'clean' kill.

One of my former work colleagues lent me an Airgun shooters magazine. I was amazed to see an airgun that fired 0.303 pellets and was being used to shoot wild boar. The air charge came from a canister charged up using a scuba drivers' air tank to give the high pressure required. They have come on a bit since my childhood.

• RMweb Premium

I went to Cromford Steam rally today with BIL Glynn and had a really good day out, so much so that I will make an effort to go again next year. The site was massive and a lot of walking was required but there was a lot to see. Failed to take a camera and when I wanted pictures of an Ariel Square four the phone struggled, there were two square fours one as an exhibit with sidecar and one in the carpark solo Pete. The only downer of the day was the realisation that tractors I drove, plant I fixed and the first car I owned were all collectors items....

• RMweb Gold

Good Evening, Hope everyone is okay, congratulations and commiserations as appropriate mas I have missed the last few days

I would like to say my abcence has not been a digital detox, simply my youngest has purchased a flat in the centre of Manchester and yours truly has been showing how/helping/doing etc with regards to decoration and odd jobs etc. More doing than showing!

The old expression a cow with a musket comes to mind with regards to my youngest and his way of decorating, it was a case of if you dont believe me look on the internet son!!!

The flat comes with a designated parking space underground, needless to say no one takes any notice of that so tommorrows job is to insert a lockable parking bollard into his space. Given that its the second one close to the lift its to easy for Herbets to take no notice and park there despite a notice saying reserved for Mr etc!

New wall heaters to install and more painting beckons but at least its not dead money renting anymore for him.

Having a day off Tuesday so will look in then for sure but stay safe folks in the meantime whilst I train my son in practical aspects of home ownership!

• RMweb Gold

And in other news a major road improvement scheme due to start tomorrow in Northumberland has been delayed.

They have discovered high voltage cables where they were due to start digging.

What level of incompetence means that they didn't have a record of them or carry out more detailed checks beforehand?

Unbelievable.

There is no closed season for Muntjac deer, and they do not receive the same protection in law as they are an invasive (non British) species.

I think a former Dook of Bedford is to be thanked for that.

• RMweb Gold

So SiL & GSiL are off to MiL so that Matthew can meet the iLs whilst daughter stays home with Robbie?

Sounds worse than living on the Isle of Wight (which I did for 11 years!)

Have a good afternoon!

It was interesting. One of the relatives has spent a lot of time in Singapore and got into an argument with Matthew about civil rights.

Then Aditi's sister got into an argument with her mother about my birthday. Aditi has to attend some financial meeting for some reason. This will be on my birthday in September. As the tiny nieces will also be visiting Aditi had suggested we could have a birthday cake at their teatime. MiL somehow wants to turn this into some mass exodus to a restaurant or get caterers. It got quite aggressive.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was interesting. One of the relatives has spent a lot of time in Singapore and got into an argument with Matthew about civil rights.

Then Aditi's sister got into an argument with her mother about my birthday. Aditi has to attend some financial meeting for some reason. This will be on my birthday in September. As the tiny nieces will also be visiting Aditi had suggested we could have a birthday cake at their teatime. MiL somehow wants to turn this into some mass exodus to a restaurant or get caterers. It got quite aggressive.

Tony

... and I bet it was all your fault too.

Tony

May. I humbly suggest getting the hell out of Dodge City on your birthday. Brussels for a few beers perhaps.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

One of my former work colleagues lent me an Airgun shooters magazine. I was amazed to see an airgun that fired 0.303 pellets and was being used to shoot wild boar. The air charge came from a canister charged up using a scuba drivers' air tank to give the high pressure required. They have come on a bit since my childhood.

I currently have in my possession a number of PCP (pre charged pneumatic) as well as various spring guns and a pair of gas rams, where the spring and piston is replaced with what is effectively a nitrogen filled shock absorber. The PCP type rifle is usually charged to around 200bar from the dive tank. (They have been around for about 25-30 years now!!) All the Olympic 10 m target shooting is done with this type of rifle.  The big advantage being they are recoilless.

However, the force required to propel the pellet cannot exceed 12ft/lb (about 16 joules of energy)*.  Above this, the rifle becomes a section one firearm with all the attended licencing, police checks (which include a valid reason for wanting to possess a section one firearm) security considerations etc.

* The 12fp/16j is the max allowed, and for indoor target shooting it is usually about half this energy output.

You are not permitted to shoot deer, fox, wild boar with anything less than than an FAC rated weapon, unless you take on a fox with a shotgun.  The use of such on a wild boar would be considered inhumane.  There are specific regulations regarding the culling of deer.

Another thing to bear in mind is that air rifle  power regulations vary from country to country as does where and what you are permitted to shoot.

So what I quote is only valid for the UK. (In NI, if you have an air rifle, you need a fire Arms certifivate, and in Scotland you now need a licence.)

Of course the stupidity of government regulations are such that I can own and use a compound longbow or crossbow without any form of regulation despite them producing energy levels far in excess of 12 ft lb!

Edited by Happy Hippo

• RMweb Premium

And in other news a major road improvement scheme due to start tomorrow in Northumberland has been delayed.

They have discovered high voltage cables where they were due to start digging.

What level of incompetence means that they didn't have a record of them or carry out more detailed checks beforehand?

Unbelievable.

They were using a mini digger to find a water main on the corner of my street a few years ago. They found it, the ten foot fountain was quite spectacular. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

May. I humbly suggest getting the hell out of Dodge City on your birthday. Brussels for a few beers perhaps.

Matthew seemed to think while Aditi is dealing with finances he and I could go to the Baltic restaurant he likes in South London, eat and work through their vodka menu, stop for snacks at a Korean restaurant in Central London, travel up to Enfield for cake and come home with Aditi for steak and chips.

Tony

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I think a former Dook of Bedford is to be thanked for that.

We are fast catching his Dookship.  Second thoughts about the lady looking for love although that might still be the case as this evening there were two female muntjac in the bottom garden and - that seven months must have shot by - a fairly small looking baby one along with them, about the size of a small cat and moving about like greased lightning (so maybe a few days old?).  My hopes are now pinned on them developing a taste for bindweed and the tender parts of brambles as well as various other weeds.

• Like 13

A relaxing day for the most part although I did do a bit of work on a presentation as well.

A bit of a strange week coming up. Monday in Chingford, office Tuesday and Wednesday which culminates in delivering a presentation, work somewhere on Thursday and POETS being another day of report writing.

Night all

• Like 13

Matthew seemed to think while Aditi is dealing with finances he and I could go to the Baltic restaurant he likes in South London, eat and worD through their vodka menu, stop for snacks at a Korean restaurant in Central London, travel up to Enfield for cake and come home with Aditi for steak and chips.

Tony

I love Matthews approach to being a student. Eating and drinking, and travelling to do so like that must cost similar to the GNP of a small country. And then he travels widely all year round.

Is it worthwhile me becoming a student?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Tomorrow sees the start of my last week in work this month, as on Friday I'll finish for a three week break.

There are several places on the list of sites where I'm heading out to next week are, these include Blackrod, Wigan, Manchester, Kendal, Lancaster and Milnthorpe.

Goodnight all.

• Like 10