The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mental health care moved some patients into the community some years ago. I worked as a support worker for one such residence with 7 long term residents some of whom had dual diagnosis mental health concerns. All had been in a secure hospital for much of their lives. Unfortunately the original system wasn't very good in the first place.

I know that the old system was not ideal, and that people were placed in secure accommodation who should not have been - this also appears to have happened to women who had children "out of wedlock" and I fully agree that the assessment processes back then were pretty rubbish.  However, I also believe quite strongly that the "new" system was almost as defective as the "old" as it went too far in the opposite direction and put some less safe indviduals into the community, who should have been picked up at an earlier stage.

I know that the old system was not ideal, and that people were placed in secure accommodation who should not have been - this also appears to have happened to women who had children "out of wedlock" and I fully agree that the assessment processes back then were pretty rubbish.  However, I also believe quite strongly that the "new" system was almost as defective as the "old" as it went too far in the opposite direction and put some less safe indviduals into the community, who should have been picked up at an earlier stage.

the problem is finding a middle ground that picks up the serious cases and places them somewhere they are not a danger to themselves or others with out over penalising those with a milder case but still being able to provide support to the latter with out it costing the tax payer a percieved huge amount 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it is not so simple as just saying mental issues. I think the general increase in violent images and the action of the terrorists seems to increase the number of nutters taking violent action. I am not convinced that some of these people are so mentally awry that they do not understand their actions and there is an element of choice involved.

The 'Care in the Community' may well have been more successful had sufficient resources to monitor and support these people been provided. Also the willingness to re-provide more secure accommodation for those who show signs of not being able to cope would make a lot of difference.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for going to all that trouble.

Certainly food for thought - have passed it on.

There is also the consideration that with the vans quite close together the site owner has a duty to ensure such work is carried out by suitable operatives. Of course the fact that they may have some deal with a local contractor wouldn't be influencing their choice. The fiqure is on the high side but not so high if the cost of the boiler is included. I believe LPG boilers are a little dearer and some of the bargains in mains gas ones would not be available.

Don

Mental health seems to be such an incredibly difficult nut to crack.

Care in the community is obviously a good idea as long as there are enough support staff to deal with the patients - and this always seems to have been the problem.

In the early 90s, I lived in North London and the local mental hospital (former asylum) was closed, the idea being to integrate as many patients as possible into the community.  The trouble was, many of the patients had been institutionalised all of their lives, and it was heartbreaking to see that a large number returned to live in the derelict buildings. 

Of course, the staff responsible for caring for patients are for the most part dedicated and caring, but an organisation, government, system (call it what you will) that allows that to happen has nothing to do with care.

Edited by Robert

I wondered why, last night, we plodded through Forest Hole at walking pace.

I had planned telephone interview this morning with a pension advisor about my fourth pension.  Brilliant timing with the Bank of England news.  This appears to be pure knee jerk, doing something rather than nothing in reaction to Brexit.  In fact most central banks are considering increasing their interest rates, whilst Britain is following the same route as Japan and could fall into a low interest rate recession.

Anyway, I'm f*cked and will probably leave the money in the pot for a couple of years.

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Heading home now. Nurse at clinic very pleased. Carry on as I have been. Interesting that as usual my blood tests indicate no problem but the other sample indicated exactly my state of health last time.

Aditi offered to meet me at Benfleet but I said I would watch the birdies in the Creek while waiting for a bus.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Mental health seems to be such an incredibly difficult nut to crack.

Care in the community is obviously a good idea as long as there are enough support staff to deal with the patients - and this always seems to have been the problem.

In the early 90s, I lived in North London and the local mental hospital (former asylum) was closed, the idea being to integrate as many patients of possible into the community.  The trouble was, many of the patients had been institutionalised all of their lives, and it was heartbreaking to see that a large number returned to live in the derelict buildings. 

Of course, the staff responsible for caring for patients are for the most part dedicated and caring, but an organisation, government, system (call it what you will) that allows that to happen has nothing to do with care.

Whatever is done is probably wrong;

For example, take a look at the police, social workers, hospitals and what they do, or try to do.

In the end you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

But  you can be guaranteed that some spokesperson will come out and earnestly gush, 'lessons will be learned' (the most overused and under implemented statement on record imho).

• Like 3

Afternoon all from a grey Scottish HQ.

Shock horror, trains in local news.....

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/pictures-manx-heritage-transport-festival-success-1-8045604

Starring some Geordie bloke too!

Nope, can't see Robson Green... :no:

I had dinner in that station building behind you, Neil!

Morning All.

Today's news of the knife attack seems to be being played down as it may be due to mental illness rather than terrorism. I don't see that as being very reassuring. Neither is the fact that your probably more likely to be killed by someone's reckless driving.
Happy times
Don

Talking of which, my first outing this morning before work was to the police station. Heading home last night down Leith Walk, I attempted to cross the road at a zebra crossing and was nearly mown down by a taxi driver who failed to stop - despite me being halfway across the crossing. I got his number plate, car make and model and a photo of the back of his car so have reported him. Apparently if CCTV corroborates my story he'll be given a road traffic ticket and some corrective advice let off scot free.  Unfortunately there seems to be a clause written in invisible ink under all the sections of the Highway Code that says "not applicable to taxi drivers"...

Anyway, made it unscathed to the pub quiz last night, where we scored 18/20 on the Wipeout round (we left blank the answer to the birthstone for August, which we didn't know) and that took us to equal third last night, and took our place in the league back to sole team in 4th spot and closed the gap to 3rd.

Edited by sixoh8sixoh
  • Like 4

"There is also the consideration that with the vans quite close together the site owner has a duty to ensure such work is carried out by suitable operatives. Of course the fact that they may have some deal with a local contractor wouldn't be influencing their choice. The fiqure is on the high side but not so high if the cost of the boiler is included. I believe LPG boilers are a little dearer and some of the bargains in mains gas ones would not be available."

Thanks for that!

• RMweb Premium

Nope, can't see Robson Green... :no:

I had dinner in that station building behind you, Neil!

Talking of which, my first outing this morning before work was to the police station. Heading home last night down Leith Walk, I attempted to cross the road at a zebra crossing and was nearly mown down by a taxi driver who failed to stop - despite me being halfway across the crossing. I got his number plate, car make and model and a photo of the back of his car so have reported him. Apparently if CCTV corroborates my story he'll be given a road traffic ticket and some corrective advice let off scot free.  Unfortunately there seems to be a clause written in invisible ink under all the sections of the Highway Code that says "not applicable to taxi drivers"...

Anyway, made it unscathed to the pub quiz last night, where we scored 18/20 on the Wipeout round (we left blank the answer to the birthstone for August, which we didn't know) and that took us to equal third last night, and took our place in the league back to sole team in 4th spot and closed the gap to 3rd.

If the Police don't take any action it's probably worth contacting the taxi licencing department, they have some very strong enforcement powers that don't involve court action.

Jamie

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon everyone.

A very unsettled day weather wise. It started to rain as I made my way to Greenfield, it stopped whilst I drove onto Hollinwood. No more rain after that and by mid morning the sun was out, and thankfully I never needed to don my waterproofs.

All work completed and home early once again, so just sitting down with a cuppa Mrs W.

Back later.

• Like 13

Morning from BIN day, USA.

Yesterday involved a rather nice "happy hour" with several new staff from our St. Paul office (we've been hiring across the country at a furious rate and I've not met many of the recent hires), together with my boss from Atlanta, who is also someone I've known for years. Good time chatting, eating and drinking. Fortunately for me I don't have to travel home via Southern Failways, sounds dreadful!!!

A planned get together with Mrs cousin and partner this evening before heading to a "Cirque Du Soleil" style performance by some kids of additional relatives - they're members of a local acrobatic company/school that was founded and is run by one of the original owners of Cirque Du Soleil. Big here in the US/Canada but don't know if they've made it to Euro-shores. Amazing performances if you get a chance to see one.

As of right now it's 22 and has been chucking it down for a couple of hours amidst "heavy thunderstorms" as forecast. Don't think I need the Ark yet, but it was considered an hour ago... Seems to be finally letting up some and expected to be 29 for a high later, though reportedly cloudy most of the day.

On with work now, have a safe day everyone.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 15

well the kitten has gone to lose his bits not a happy chap to be left at the vets and didnt want to go in his travel box as my now scrached a bloodied arm can now testify my lady a bit teary at leaving him but consoled with a fry up 

settle back into the grind of searching and applying for jobs on the net 

finnaly got my new lens so thats a bonus 

well the kitten is home and minus hits bits but fine and healthy which is the main thing much to my ladys relief . hes now wandering around the flat with eyes like saucers and the look on his face that just says " this is good man we tripping here woooo " whilst the aneasthetic and strong pain killers wear off 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Cirque Du Soleil. Big here in the US/Canada but don't know if they've made it to Euro-shores.

Amazing performances if you get a chance to see one.

Ian, I agree 100% they are absolutely amazing shows.

We've seen 3 different shows here and we've tickets for a 4th next month, really looking forward to it too!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

We have broken cloud

How careless.  Perhaps I might add some broken wind to that.  :swoon:

It is considered lucky to be shat upon by a gull.  Can't be that lucky as I have been "got" several times and am yet to benefit from any Nigerian scam ;)

• Like 1

Ian, I agree 100% they are absolutely amazing shows.

We've seen 3 different shows here and we've tickets for a 4th next month, really looking forward to it too!

coming to the big marque at the trafford center from 7th september so looking at booking for that 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon everyone.

A very unsettled day weather wise. It started to rain as I made my way to Greenfield, it stopped whilst I drove onto Hollinwood. No more rain after that and by mid morning the sun was out, and thankfully I never needed to don my waterproofs.

All work completed and home early once again, so just sitting down with a cuppa Mrs W.

Back later.

In years gone, you could've called into Norman Wisenden's emporium in Greenfield. A proper model railway shop, but now located in Stalybridge. Norman was a true gent, but sadly, no longer with us. I used to spend ages browsing in his shop.

Hollinwood - site of my first proper employment with Ferranti.. Staring out as sponsored student at their training centre, where I learnt how to solder electrical stuff properly. I still have a few bits and pieces that I made in the machine and welding shops.

I became a trainee engineer in the tapchanger control department, where I learnt all about relay systems. I was the 3rd person in the office to have Michael as a given name, so naturally, I was "Mike 3" (Mick isn't commonly used in Manchester)

The main transformer building and office is still there - next to the M60 and is now also the site of a Morrisons.

Earlyish finish today, so some modelling, possibly followed by an evening mountain biking around Chipping Fell.

Check in later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

coming to the big marque at the trafford center from 7th september so looking at booking for that

Don't hang about, tickets sell very quickly, however, they have just added more shows due to popular demand.

We're there on the 17th.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Mick.

I used to call in at Norman Wisendens quite a lot when the shop was still there, it wasn't far from where are site is located. Like you said, a proper model railway shop, sadly missed.

• Like 2

In years gone, you could've called into Norman Wisenden's emporium in Greenfield. A proper model railway shop, but now located in Stalybridge. Norman was a true gent, but sadly, no longer with us. I used to spend ages browsing in his shop.

Hollinwood - site of my first proper employment with Ferranti.. Staring out as sponsored student at their training centre, where I learnt how to solder electrical stuff properly. I still have a few bits and pieces that I made in the machine and welding shops.

I became a trainee engineer in the tapchanger control department, where I learnt all about relay systems. I was the 3rd person in the office to have Michael as a given name, so naturally, I was "Mike 3" (Mick isn't commonly used in Manchester)

The main transformer building and office is still there - next to the M60 and is now also the site of a Morrisons.

Earlyish finish today, so some modelling, possibly followed by an evening mountain biking around Chipping Fell.

Check in later.

Cheers,

Mick

ah the great Norman wisendens many a rainy day spent browsing through his stock with a brew whilst some of the old guys told tales of the Delph donkey and lines around saddleworth even helped out on the odd mmrs show much missed now a charity shop i believe 

• Like 1

"There is also the consideration that with the vans quite close together the site owner has a duty to ensure such work is carried out by suitable operatives. Of course the fact that they may have some deal with a local contractor wouldn't be influencing their choice. The fiqure is on the high side but not so high if the cost of the boiler is included. I believe LPG boilers are a little dearer and some of the bargains in mains gas ones would not be available."

Thanks for that!

Is electricity that expensive in th UK? I can buy a 40 gallon electric tank here for $300.

• RMweb Gold

That kind of thing makes me mad a clear case of dangerous driving but even if they take some action it will probably fall short of taking his licence as 'it is needed for his job" . When he mows some kid down there will be no end of wailing and sorrow. The time to do something is now before he does hit someone. I would ban him from driving for a while and take his taxi licence away. It is not like speeding where it is an arbitrary figure. This is clearly someone unfit to drive. 

Don

• RMweb Gold

Is electricity that expensive in th UK? I can buy a 40 gallon electric tank here for $300.

Electricity is about 3 to 4 times as expensive per kilowatt as Gas now that boiler efficiency is pretty high it does makes a difference. Depending on the sort of site the electric supply may not be sufficient for a normal immersion heater. 

It is funny though in the motorhome we have a small sink so bought a small bowl to fit in it. We do the washing up in less water than we would use at home where the bowl is much bigger. A lot of water is heated when it is not really needed.

Don