The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evenin' all,

Just back from a cracking evening at Gawsworth Hall with friends being entertained in the outdoor grandstand by 'The Simon & Garfunkel story'.....just superb!!

http://www.thesimonandgarfunkelstory.com/

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

In the UK there is a change in the driving classes at 3500Kg under that it is class B over that is class C when I get to seventy (coming fast) if I wish to retain the class C I have to have medical checks. Those youngsters no longer get class C with the ordinary driving test and would have to take another test. 

Don

And it will cost you £100 for the medical and a further £10 for an eye test ... and will need to be repeated every three years ... who said 'retirement was cheap'?

• RMweb Gold

Tony C1E means vehicles between 3500 and 7500 plus a trailer over 750 Kg I think the historic entitlement would limit you to a total over about 8500 Kg whereas those who have passed a C1+E test are allowed a total mass of 12Kg.

You are probably also allowed to drive a minibus (but not for hire or reward) with or without a trailer. I think we were all allowed to keep these rights as it would have been too much trouble to find out who had actually used them. At work I was handed the keys to a 7500 Kg lorry with a trailer attached with no questions asked. A bit of a change from the small car and vans I was used to.

Don

You will still need the 'medicals' from 70 onwards even if you are not driving it for hire or reward.

• RMweb Gold

And it will cost you £100 for the medical and a further £10 for an eye test ... and will need to be repeated every three years ... who said 'retirement was cheap'?

That only applies if you want to keep the C and D categories the class B only is free to renew provided you haven't got one of a long list of complaints. Mind you I bet a lot of people are taking medications for one or more of those complaints which means they would need their doctor to confirm the treatment did not impair their ability to drive. Obviously the answer is to stick to cars or small vans/ motorhomes  and keep away from the doctor.

Don

The end of a fairly relaxing working day. More report writing on Monday but at least the weekend is clear.

A couple of bottles of speckled hen consumed this evening while doing not a lot

Night all

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

The weather has been bloody awful most of the day. Luckily it stopped around lunchtime whilst we were working. It's lovely and sunny now though!

I managed a POETS day, but didn't get home quite as early as I'd have liked, not getting in until after 2:00pm but just in time for a brew.

As it's Friday we've had the 3 youngest grandchildren round and since there arrival around 3:30, it's been like bedlam. Evie is stopping tonight, she hasn't stopped over for a while so it'll make a nice change. Tomorrow morning after breakfast I'll go and collect her older sister Ava and they'll then both stay for lunch. I'll then take them both home mid-afternoon.

It's late, so I'm off to bed, goodnight all.

• Like 17

post-25691-0-79628500-1469840573_thumb.jpg

It made it up to 37C today, but still the tomatoes don't ripen. I think it cools down too much overnight here. When we lived in New Jersey, tomatoes grew like weeds. (I'm sure Pete can grow great tomatoes.)

post-25691-0-18104500-1469840617_thumb.jpg

Nice evening, and when you zoom in...

post-25691-0-55562800-1469840646_thumb.jpg

...the fishing derby (for chinook salmon) appears to be in full swing.

• Like 19

(I'm sure Pete can grow great tomatoes.)

Yes, my wife can. The plants are about 8 feet tall, right now. We’ve also got some really delicious Peppers this year, mostly Cayenne and Jalapeño .

Is this why the English called it New Jersey?

Best, Pete.

• Like 15

Thanks Pete, that was lovely. Very Jackson Browne-ish. Do you have Bruce's original version of Across the Border?

Ed

Dunno, I’ll ask my Wife she is the big Boss fan. It’s weird driving down one of the roads named in his songs like “1&9”. He still lives in Freehold New Jersey about 30 miles from me.

Did you know “10th Avenue Freezeout” does NOT refer to10th Avenue in  Manhattan but rather the one in Belmar, NJ, on the shore?

This is the ultimate Springsteen driving song, of course:

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 9

so up at stupid oclock again least i can be getting the house strait before picking up my girls for a swim sesion at hyde fun pool then no doubt more emptying of my wallet either that or drive to cleethorpes to watch the tics in a friendly 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all especially Debs! And evening to those further afield on Planet Earth.

Abbeydale Park beckons for some more scoring duties for me today. Umpiring returns tomorrow with Beverley Ladies v Wrenthorpe Ladies as my appointment.

Have a great day everyone!

Baz

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

With heavy rain forecast for Monday I have a busy weekend trying to get one side of the roof done.

Hope you are having an easier weekend.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright and sunny village, the rain has obviously been dropped on the dark side of the Pennines, though I'm not sure what the day will bring weather wise.

Yesterday I had to visit sister Drac for the second time in 3 days. I had a medication review with the quack on Wednesday and after a routine blood test got a phone call saying that there was n abnormality and could I go and repeat the test. Beth was full of this saying that with the amount of sweet stuff in my diet she hoped I was diabetic. Anyway the young lady told me I had a mildly low potassium level. Apparently everything else was fine so I was quite relieved and will have to see the quack again net week for the results. I then had the pleasant task of telling Beth that I could continue eating cakes.

Anyway a good evening at the club followed. Today I may even get the shell of a building glued together. Then this afternoon No1 son and partner are arriving and we're all going out for an Indian. Not a bad day.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Up since 3am, mostly in the bathroom ministering to SWMBO who has some sort of D&V plague.

Advice from Health professionals: Don't let her dehydrate.

The problem is that if I pour it in one end it reappears in short order.

In an effort to be positive I'll try electric shock therapy to give her some energy.

• RMweb Gold

The Obergrumpenfuhrer has a client at 0900 this morning.

Why she has to do this in the middle of the night at a weekend is beyond comprehension.

Of course this visit cannot be a low key affair, so the whole pod is currently on stand to.

Still I suppose I should be grateful that we don't have a piper or buglers to announce the arrival, although I think having to stand outside at attention and presenting arms with a long rifle is a bit ott.

Another section of track for the garden line was made up yesterday and another couple beckon this morning.  the plan is to have a blitz on track today and see if we can get as far as the yard throat so as to be able to put in the first bits of pointwork.

I also have to find the silver solder and flux so as to secure some tabs to the bottom of the Peco fb rail in order to fit the spacer to the switch rails which has the actuating bar beneath.  If I had the inclination, which I don't, I should really make the whole unit up in a prototypical manner with nuts and bolts and threaded bars etc.....But life is to short for such niceties.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

It was a bit cloudy earlier but I think we are getting one of the sunny intervals suggested by the forecasters now.

I don't plan to do too much today. Aditi is probably going to see her Mum in Enfield for lunch. I would normally go too but my colitis is somewhat active today and I am trying out a new regime of medication for the hospital this month. I am not supposed to use the medication(generic Imodium) that helps on a day to day basis but hides symptoms. It will be reviewed on Thursday. Actually being idle on a cruise ship was really good healthwise but I don't think it would last!

Matthew seems to have found somewhere to stay in Cork in a guesthouse/ small hotel. All of the rental/ house share options felt through. The only one that didn't was one Matthew rejected. A couple had bought a property for their son and wanted someone to move in as a role model for him as he wouldn't go out and spent all his time playing computer games and artwork. Matthew foresaw difficulties and really doesn't need any during this research.

However he wandered over to the university where he has arranged library access and met one of the geography professors. He was really intrigued by how Matthew was doing his research and has offered all sorts of help. Matthew has a couple of days now to do touristy things. He is going to Kinsale today.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Up since 3am, mostly in the bathroom ministering to SWMBO who has some sort of D&V plague.

In an effort to be positive I'll try electric shock therapy to give her some energy.

I agree with the health professionals. With many years experience of the D (of D&V) with in former years the medication for D causing V, not getting dehydrated is important.

Morning all. Nothing planned for today so I didn't even bother setting the alarm.

Great to see a post from Debs this morning.

Don - I hope that the weather allows you to get the work on the roof done.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 11

Morning all!

Tad overcast here; awaiting the hedge trimmer to tidy up my all-repelling berberis public boundary hedge. Neighbour upset coz daughter scratched herself on it. When did the school of hard knocks and the university of life close?

Given what the medical profession is currently investigating me for, my GP also told me to keep hydrated and add a small dose of salt or dioralyte to the water. A pharmacist had mentioned the salt several years ago. My work colleagues think I'm mad drinking salted water but it works!

• Like 8