The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Phil, you need to check the weights very carefully on the camper. If it is the Auto-Sleepers glassfibre monocoque body (designed by William Towns of Lagonda fame) then it is heavy and it is very easy to overload the chassis. The convertors usually bought the lowest-spec, and therefore cheapest, version. A friend of mine writes as Jack Bancroft in Practical Motorhome magazine and will probably have all the figures at his fingertips.

Ed

It is indeed the monocoque body. Talking to the vendor she said the fuel consumption figures are less than 20 mpg, hence the thoughts about LPG. The extra weight will not be too much, only the bracketry to support the spare wheel that can hopefully fitted onto the rear panel and the LPG tank about the same weight as the spare wheel it will replace. The biggest problem with fitting LPG equipment is routing the feed pipes away from the exhaust which is a legal requirement.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

A friend of mine bought an oldish camper van, and apart from a slight leak from the roof, which is now fixed, it is excellent.

On this vehicle it had an extended towbar which also doubles as a bike rack and somewhere to hang the roof ladder from.  The spare wheel has a rubberised canvas cover and bolts onto a bracket between the ladder and the vehicle back.

My daughter's mother in law has a Porsche Cayenne with a lpg conversion fitted.  It makes it affordable to drive!

Tony, I'm sorry to hear about Matthew's situation in Cobh.

Pursued by missionaries, what a terrible position to be in.

Actually the interior is in very good condition for its age, the shower compartment appears never to have been used. No evidence of leaks and the cushions have been recovered but the rest appears to be original.

• Like 10

Phil, do not fit anything to the rear panel until you are certain that it has hard points behind it to accept bolts and screws. If the manufacturers already had a place for the spare wheel it seems unlikely that they would expect anyone to mount it on the back panel. Hard points for fitting bike racks may be either side of centre, which is where you want to fix the wheel. Worthwhile checking these things before you start drilling. The manufacturers do a great job squeezing a quart into a pint pot but one thing about motorhomes and caravans is that every owner would do something different to the internal layout in the light of experience. Other than that I hope you have a great time with the MH. 

Lucky you didn't listen to Leonard Cohen

I always said the same about LC. But then years ago started playing his cd to cheer me up in a kind of reverse psycholgy. His recent album Popular Problems is excellent!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lucky you didn't listen to Leonard Cohen

Funnily enough I did, having been introduced to him by a housemate in my previous residence. I didn't have any cassette tapes of the Canadian Misanthrope though.

Jamie

• Like 6

Chinooks are a regular sight around here.

Sometimes lower than others. Not unknown for the windows to rattle. 

When my daughter was a toddler I told her the navigation lights that she could see showed that the aircrew were waving to her.

So, she always waved "back" whenever they came over.  

I'd like to think once in a while they looked down. :)

Heading north out of Lairg towards Durness, it was common to see low flying aircraft of all types - a flash of the headlights would normally get you a wing waggle acknowledgement Edited by shortliner
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Phil - if it's the chassis I'm thinking it is and it's had a heavy body you will no doubt be paying special attention to the clutch and gearbox.  We had one of those chassis on a minibus fleet I used to have the dubious pleasure of managing and while the usage was rather difference from a campervan it was not very good at standing up to intensive use by sometimes less than 'caring and skilful' drivers - in fact it seemed to spend more time off the road than on and invariably it was clutch and gearbox troubles.

Andy thanks for your reminder about Woking - I do (thanks to another ER) have a sort of invitation to join the operating team on a rather spiffing layout at that show but it does of course clash with this one (maybe one day at each?)

http://www.steam-museum.org.uk/events/Pages/Swindon-Railway-Festival-2016.aspx

In the meanwhile herself is ironing (having completed shearing my head) and likes the window open to let in some cool air - then the rain starts and she wants the window shut.  Her arms are long enough to open it but not long enough to reach the handle to close it so i am called to the kitchen; I know a logical answer to this conundrum, but it's not one she recognises.

Have a  good day one and all

• RMweb Gold

It is indeed the monocoque body. Talking to the vendor she said the fuel consumption figures are less than 20 mpg, hence the thoughts about LPG. The extra weight will not be too much, only the bracketry to support the spare wheel that can hopefully fitted onto the rear panel and the LPG tank about the same weight as the spare wheel it will replace. The biggest problem with fitting LPG equipment is routing the feed pipes away from the exhaust which is a legal requirement.

Most manufacturers will quote the Mass in running order and the MLTP which is the maximum you are leagally allowed for the vehicles and contents. There should be a plate on the vehicle with the weights. The difference should be the payload how much stuff you can carry. However it is important to understand what is included in the mass in running order. Whether it includes a full water tank, the driver the gas bottles etc. Often people load them up with awnings, loungers, etc. The other thing to watch is where people have added things, An extended tow bar carrying bikes may be such a case. It can be that several bikes on the back can overload the rear axle even if within the MTLP. You can take a reasonable load but you cannot take it all. With Caravans there is similarly a maximum weight. I have seen people arrive on site park a caravan then erect a large awning and proceed to bring tables chairs cupboards beds and so on out of the van and into the awning. Such a load might be over the allowance for the van and can also be a problem in transit if it can move about.

In your case why is the LPG tank not replacing the fuel tank or do you want to retain dual capability?

Some motor homes have LPG tanks for cooking and heating these replace the calour gas bottles.

Don 

• Like 4

POETS day has arrived, I'm ready.

Yesterday continued the sh!tstorm and much scurrying around by financial department members as they hurried to close the month (we're talking JUNE folks!! <sigh>) before the financial consultant leaves. This was his penultimate week on the assignment, he's back in two weeks and then DONE. Heaven help them once he's gone as they see completely unable to function without checking in with him at every turn.

Left me blissfully free to continue my tasks uninterrupted... until bloody 5 o'clock! What IS IT with these people  :O

Will be POE for me today, at least to get to JFK, from there it's a crap-shoot.

As predicted (how come the forecasters are always RIGHT when it's carp weather and affects something that will end up delaying you or requiring you to change plans??) we had some heavy rain overnight with local flooding in Brooklyn and various other parts east of my location. That shouldn't affect me, right <HAR BLOODY HA> 

POE occurs around 1:30PM to head to JFK with flight departing at 3:55PM - mysteriously ALREADY showing a 15 minute delay??

Was 22 and variably rain and light drizzle driving in, supposed to be high of 27 and rain predicted to end around midday.

Seize anything you can get your hands on and throttle it into submission - take the weekend by storm (oh I DIDN'T say that, did I??) :jester:

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Just been out and measured the drive. A 6.5metre vehicle would fit but I would need to replace the garage door with one that doesn't swing out. Aditi now thinks I am getting "silly". Some of the quoted mpg figures for motorhomes are certainly better than my Freelander achieves in real life!

Anyway I have just had a text message announcing my jacket has arrived at Waitrose. I have also been given a shopping list, I have added a couple of items. Tidying Matthew's room is thirsty work!

Robbie's walk went well. The vet said he will need a harness for walks rather than a collar after his operation. We tried out the harness today and he was fine, not at all bothered.

Tony

• Like 12

Most manufacturers will quote the Mass in running order and the MLTP which is the maximum you are leagally allowed for the vehicles and contents. There should be a plate on the vehicle with the weights. The difference should be the payload how much stuff you can carry. However it is important to understand what is included in the mass in running order. Whether it includes a full water tank, the driver the gas bottles etc. Often people load them up with awnings, loungers, etc. The other thing to watch is where people have added things, An extended tow bar carrying bikes may be such a case. It can be that several bikes on the back can overload the rear axle even if within the MTLP. You can take a reasonable load but you cannot take it all. 

That's why we had ours re-plated to 3850kg when we bought it new. Being a largish motorhome, the payload with an MLTP of 3500kg would have been minimal. We certainly don't run around with full water and waste tanks and only fill up with diesel before leaving Ireland for the UK. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

In the meanwhile herself is ironing (having completed shearing my head) and likes the window open to let in some cool air - then the rain starts and she wants the window shut.  Her arms are long enough to open it but not long enough to reach the handle to close it so i am called to the kitchen; I know a logical answer to this conundrum, but it's not one she recognises.

Have a  good day one and all

Mike,

Aldi are advertising 2 step step/stools which might stop the call outs you keep getting.

2-Step-Stool-A.jpg?o=2Yt5trFoRVWPGzMZ33p

• Like 1

I was banned from our local pub quiz for telling the guy who set it that he got the question wrong (three times in one night) ... He said I was an obnoxious know all. I told him he was completely correct, I'm quite proud of it and that it was the nicest thing anybody had said to me all day. How can you answer a question properly when the question itself is wrong?

A convivial dinner hosted jointly by Rotherham Harriers and Rotherham RU club back in the early 1980s was enlivened by a closely competitive quiz with teams from the respective clubs and a question-master who was obviously no Bamber Gascoigne ...

"Who was the first man to fly across the English Channel?"

"Louis Blériot", responded one of the rugger bu66ers.

"No, it were Louise Blerryott", said the inquisitor, followed by uproar and merriment.

Of course, the correct answer would have been: "Jean-Pierre Blanchard and John Jeffries, by balloon, flying from Dover Castle to Guînes on the 7th of January 1785", but my assistance in the matter was vetoed by my minder.

"What have I told you?"

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise".

"Right. Sup your beer".

Edit: added accent aigu

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Excellent. Stewart, you're hired. What are you doing for the next 7 Wednesday nights?  :jester:

It has been suggested locally, as one of my friend's sons was in a quiz team at the local pub, and thought that I'd be a good secret weapon, but as the quiz started quite late, and went on to quite even later, I took a rain check. 

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, back from  a trip to Kirby Lonsdale followed by a very nice lunch at the Plough at Lupton. on our way back we passed a 13 mile plus  section of standing/crawling traffic on the M6 heading north from just above Lancaster to below Preston.

Not a nice way to spend Friday afternoon!

Yesterday the funeral went okay with about 87 people attending. Nice to catch up with some old work colleagues though sad to see a couple are not doing very well in the health stakes.Make the most of each day I think is the take home message.

Hope your weekend is a good one

• RMweb Gold

Virgin now estimating service to be resumed on 4th August...

But no longer promising.

I am getting my O2 data paid - will be about £60....

The chap who knows where the distribution cabinet is located is probably on holiday.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

At last, caught up, and posts read and rated.  Greetings to all who are in need thereof, particularly those to whom the black dog has paid a visit.

Just been a racket outside, and a DPD van turned up with the new hoover a couple of days after it was ordered.  So much for estimated delivery 1st to 4th August by Parcel Farce.  Lucky I was in, as 30747 uttered the G word, and I have been out there for some time this afternoon.

Car has been air conditioning serviced and now smells sweet again.  Didn't need a regas or a filter, just an antibacterial clean, but they did a quick diagnostic on the car as well, and also gave it a wash and a hoover - not bad for thirty quid.

Must go as need to get the hoover up and running, as I'm guessing the the floors will be the next job.

Back later/tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

we passed a 13 mile plus  section of standing/crawling traffic on the M6 heading north from just above Lancaster to below Preston.

That's a real nightmare, and is probably a lot more that 13 miles, as it's nearly 30 from my home (4m from J34) to Bamber Bridge which is where the tailback starts according to Google maps. 

• RMweb Gold

Made it to Barnstaple. Took two hours longer than planned due to problems on the M5 after a god run cross country from Banbury.

So he planned trip to Woody Bay abandoned.

Good to see the semaphores and South Box at Banbury before they dissappear this weekend.

Setting he layout up shortly then it's beer time

• Like 10

Most manufacturers will quote the Mass in running order and the MLTP which is the maximum you are leagally allowed for the vehicles and contents. There should be a plate on the vehicle with the weights. The difference should be the payload how much stuff you can carry. However it is important to understand what is included in the mass in running order. Whether it includes a full water tank, the driver the gas bottles etc. Often people load them up with awnings, loungers, etc. The other thing to watch is where people have added things, An extended tow bar carrying bikes may be such a case. It can be that several bikes on the back can overload the rear axle even if within the MTLP. You can take a reasonable load but you cannot take it all. With Caravans there is similarly a maximum weight. I have seen people arrive on site park a caravan then erect a large awning and proceed to bring tables chairs cupboards beds and so on out of the van and into the awning. Such a load might be over the allowance for the van and can also be a problem in transit if it can move about.

In your case why is the LPG tank not replacing the fuel tank or do you want to retain dual capability?

Some motor homes have LPG tanks for cooking and heating these replace the calour gas bottles.

Don 

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but if the weight goes above 3500kg you may not be able to legally drive it in the UK. Although you can hire a 7.5 ton furniture van and drive it on a car license. I hope this is true because I did it once. I can always plead insanity.

Edited by Ohmisterporter

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but if the weight goes above 3500kg you cannot legally drive it in the UK. Although you can hire a 7.5 ton furniture van and drive it on a car license. I hope this is true because I did it once. I can always plead insanity.

I have ever just checked my licence online and I can drive class C1e, (between 3500 and 7500kg )vehicles. I only ever took a standard car test. It was a long time ago though .

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4