The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

That'd be the one with a speed limit never higher than 45 mph. Strikes me it doesn't really matter what you are stuck behind.

Ed

Top Gear tried to drive it and gave up.

We did the same.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I can remember one occasion where we were almost grateful for motor homes crawling up a mountain road to hide behind.

We had booked a fortnight in Austria and Aditi had booked a hire car. For some reason the "or similar" turned out to be a Hyundai Getz. Going up the Grossglockner road we had a choice of neutral or first. At one point a,bicycle overtook us uphill. Going down the brakes overheated. I asked if I could choose the hire car next time. We had a Ford Focus diesel next time an it was fine.

A few years before we had crossed the Grossglockner pass in our Astra GTE 16V.

Tony

• Like 13

A friend has just told me about a 10 metre high puppet that is touring Cornwall.

It's made out of mining materials and is a tribute to the Cornish miners.

I'm told it (given enough space) walks and uses arm and head movement.

I'm now told it is a reminder that Cornwall is a Unesco Heritage site and the puppet (of a miner) will start a world tour when it finishes the Cornwall gig.

Edited by DDolfelin
  • Like 1

Morning all from a grey but dry Scottish HQ.

We had a disaster at the pub quiz last night. We were sitting 3 and a half points off the lead at the start of the final "total wipeout" round. This offers double points for each question correctly answered (so two points per question), you can leave blanks, but if a wrong answer is written for any question, you score zero for the whole round. We wrote 9 answers, left one blank. We discussed in detail as a team two particular questions, but one that we nodded through as a "given", alas wasn't!

Test yourselves (no googling!)

1 Slade Prison appeared in which TV series?

2 Which Age came after the Bronze Age?

3 In which year was the Falklands War?

4 In which country is the Valley of the Kings?

5 In which month is Labor Day in the USA? *

6 In which country is the European Court of Human Rights based?

7 Which country's first female Prime Minister was Kim Campbell?

8 Francois Mitterand and the Queen opened what in 1994?

9 Which party did Churchill represent as Prime Minister?

10 Which other battle (apart from Hastings) took place in 1066 and shares a name with a Premiership football ground)?

* spelling correct for Simplified English...

We left #7 blank (couldn't decide between 2 Commonwealth countries), we agonised over #3 and #9 (getting them right) but failed on number 6.

Answers later... at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/229-early-risers/?p=2383021

Edited by sixoh8sixoh
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

We had a disaster at the pub quiz last night. We were sitting 3 and a half points off the lead at the start of the final "total wipeout" round. This offers double points for each question correctly answered (so two points per question), you can leave blanks, but if a wrong answer is written for any question, you score zero for the whole round. We wrote 9 answers, left one blank. We discussed in detail as a team two particular questions, but one that we nodded through as a "given", alas wasn't!

10 Which other battle (apart from Hastings) took place in 1066 and shares a name with a Premiership football ground)?

We left 7 blank (couldn't decide between 2 Commonwealth countries), we agonised over 3 and 9 (getting them right) but failed on number 6.

Answers later...

I've left one blank but will check back later. I have recorded my thoughts.

Jamie

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

We left #7 blank (couldn't decide between 2 Commonwealth countries), we agonised over #3 and #9 (getting them right) but failed on number 6.

Answers later...

8. Pret a manger?   :jester:

A friend has just told me about a 10 metre high puppet that is touring Cornwall.

I'm now told it is a reminder that Cornwall is a Unesco Heritage site and the puppet (of a miner) will start a world tour when it finishes the Cornwall gig.

I see it's been on Google for three days.

The News items convey the impression that the thing will be walking across Cornwall.

The picture I've been sent is on a low loader.

• Like 2

I posted about it on here a few days ago. Well worth seeing I think.

http://www.themanengine.org.uk/

• RMweb Premium

I see it's been on Google for three days.

The News items convey the impression that the thing will be walking across Cornwall.

The picture I've been sent is on a low loader.

Well, giants need giant skateboards, don't they? :jester:

A'noon everyone. Currently approaching Fulda on ICE 1650. How I'd like to be driving myself, now that I have an idea of how to operate rail vehicles!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I've left one blank but will check back later. I have recorded my thoughts.

Jamie

I would have left 5 blank as I have no idea. 6 would have required deep thought about Luxembourg or Strasbourg so I would have left it blank, though if I had to commit would choose Strasbourg. I know it isn't the Hague as that is the international court.

I could have of course made mistakes about the others but don't think I have.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.  For such it is here.  Been too busy to read and rate the past 24 hours, apologies.  After a long and busy day at the Palace it was a night out with SMWBO and her team at the local RSL (RBL for those playing at home) with dinner and drinks.  

If someone can rustle up enough fanatics for that item, hasn't ANYONE got the vision to see they'd get an order of magnitude more sales for a 4-COR??

PM sent.  In short terms I have made several attempts over recent years to establish interest among potential manufacturers, retail outlets and even crowd-source funding managers with at best lukewarm responses.  I have made approaches to the owners of the preserved unit as one who has contributed financially and in practical terms to its upkeep for over 40 years.  The SEG has publicly stated that they are in very urgent need of active person-power and they also have location problems with being able to keep five vehicles (a complete 4Cor plus a late member's motor coach now vested in their care) which is giving substantial cause for concern over its future.  They would stand to benefit financially from a package I had worked up which could have secured the unit's future and hopefully garnered enough new interest to significantly enhance the restoration task.  The response I got, on more than one occasion, was that there was unlikely to be anywhere near sufficient interest to justify the resources.  Those resources from the SEG would have amounted to little more than volunteer time to permit scanning.

Those who care for and work on the preserved unit and those who give their spare time to run the SEG (of which I was once one) have my unreserved thanks and respect.  My comments are not in any way intended to reflect negatively upon them.  Quite the reverse as I know how much effort a very few people have put on over very many years.

On the thorny subject of the Travelling Community (GRT if you must) I lived for a year alongside a council-provided site and knew those people to be fundamentally honest.  Their chosen way of life might be a little different to ours but mostly it wouldn't matter.  The fact that they were marginalised and overcrowded into a tiny plot gave rise to the appearance of dirt and mess; the large number of seemingly in-bred sad-looking dogs didn't help. But they never bothered any of us on the estate and some even wandered up for a chat and a smoke with some of us of an evening.  

On two occasions I was invited to join their number for a family meal on the site which I respected as a rare privilege.  As with many sections of society there are the few who give the majority a bad name and there are media beat-ups in pursuit of stories.  On "our" site anyone who stepped outside the code of conduct, specifically with regard to honesty and interaction with non-travellers, was harshly dealt with by their own ways and was probably not going to misbehave again if they wanted to stay.  Then along came the London 2012 Olympics and both the modern housing estate and Traveller site were swept away to create the Olympic Village.  For which I haven't entirely forgiven them.

Treat all others as you would want to be treated yourself and they'll often treat you the same.  Treat them like dirt on your shoes and you may well get what you deserve.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The answers:

1 Porridge

2 The Iron Age

3 1982

4 Egypt

5 September

6 France (it is Strasbourg - we put down Netherland thinking it was at The Hague)

7 Canada

8 Channel Tunnel

9 Conservative

10 Stamford Bridge

I would have left 5 6 7 blank as being uncertain. Just as well because I was thinking No idea, Belgium, Australia. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The answers:

1 Porridge

2 The Iron Age

3 1982

4 Egypt

5 September

6 France (it is Strasbourg - we put down Netherland thinking it was at The Hague)

7 Canada

8 Channel Tunnel

9 Conservative

10 Stamford Bridge

That's 9 for me, I passed on No 7.

Thanks 

• Like 1

The answers:1 Porridge2 The Iron Age3 19824 Egypt5 September6 France (it is Strasbourg - we put down Netherland thinking it was at The Hague)7 Canada8 Channel Tunnel9 Conservative10 Stamford Bridge

I would have got 5 and 7 wrong. May and NZ.

• Like 5

Moring on this last BIN day in July, significant for it's insignificance - avoiding that activity as I'm not home.

Flustercuck sh!tstorm brewing/building at client as they continue to fail to understand how to successfully "close" the financial month on their 3-month old NEW system. They continue to play musical accounts to the complete frustration of the Financial Consultant who wants/needs/was planned to be done already. Fortunately for me, it only affects me on the back-end as I just change report structures as they shuffle things around. They still haven't managed to get to those tasks that are "preferably" address when I'm on-site. Hey ho, I'll be back in two weeks and they can re-address. Of course, that doesn't mean I won't get inquiring emails next Tuesday/Wednesday asking the impossible as I'll not be here :jester:

Family: we're now in limbo with Jemma and her boyfriend - he was the one that broke up with her, and as of yesterday he is apparently now "confused and not sure what he wants to do" and there is a plan for them to talk more next Wednesday. Again, not a bad bloke, but I think she should move on, he's way too immature/lacks forethought and commitment for sure IMHO!

OK, enough of the soap opera :)

30 and sunny here, expecting 32 for a high. Of course TOMORROW (when I'm leaving this week) there's supposed to be another wave of thunderstorms through here during the daytime hours which I'm sure will make my JFK departure just loads of enjoyment!

Carpe 4-COR :)

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Premium

I believe there was a Pret a Manger at the Chunnel shopping zone. Opening the tunnel was a "Well, whilst we're here...." sort of thing. 

Anyway, afternoon all. 

Haven't seen Grandadbob around for a while, so for your delectation I shinned up a ladder into the loft to get the holiday luggage out. I checked the ladder safety catch as previously it had concertinaed, trapping my foot with my own weight. Nice. All ok on the safety catch and I proceeded up into the loft. Retrieved the luggage. Was just about to descend when I was inspired to seek out a book that I hadn't seen for a while. Standing up to find out which box it might be in....

I can report that even 1980s build houses have fairly solid roof trusses. 

post-4299-0-41737700-1469715736.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

No romantic trauma to report from our offspring. He is in Cork and is trying to find somewhere to live. It looks as if he may have found somewhere. The two ladies seeking professional gentleman to share really wanted a 12 month tenancy but as they were Polish he has signed them up to his research project! The Polish cafe he had identified as a possible source of information also are keen and offered to help with any translation. He went to an old persons Polish club last night and has been roped into doing some PR an English conversation. They were very helpful. He hasn't even got to the church or Polish consulate yet! This is going much more smoothly than his LSE research or that which he did in Utrecht while suffering from concussion.

Tony

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I believe there was a Pret a Manger at the Chunnel shopping zone. Opening the tunnel was a "Well, whilst we're here...." sort of thing. 

Anyway, afternoon all. 

Haven't seen Grandadbob around for a while, so for your delectation I shinned up a ladder into the loft to get the holiday luggage out. I checked the ladder safety catch as previously it had concertinaed, trapping my foot with my own weight. Nice. All ok on the safety catch and I proceeded up into the loft. Retrieved the luggage. Was just about to descend when I was inspired to seek out a book that I hadn't seen for a while. Standing up to find out which box it might be in....

attachicon.giffred flinstone.jpg

I know someone who slipped in the loft and one leg went to the left of the joist and the other to the right. At least it broke his fall.

• RMweb Premium

Anyway, afternoon all. 

attachicon.giffred flinstone.jpg

Does anyone have any contact details for Grandadbob.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

On the thorny subject of the Travelling Community (GRT if you must)

My great grandfather was a farmer, and in his day was happy to give such folk work and a field to stay.  The work was well done and the place was always left immaculate.

However, moving slap bang up to date, we get two types that come into the area:  Those that stop a few days and leave all their rubbish neatly stacked and bagged ready for collection, and the Caravan Utilizing Nomadic Travellers who undo all the good work of the former by  using the local nature trail footpath as their communal bog, and going on thieving and rubbish dumping sprees across the borough before being moved on to cause mayhem elsewhere.