The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I often wonder why caravans are given names such as; Sprite, Tornado, Whirlwind, Buccaneer.

The after-effects of the average campervan diet ;)

• RMweb Gold

It's funny you should all mention caravans and motorhomes. I've just finished a design for something similar, only it's not in a caravan/campervan... but in a van.

With the horrendous house/rent prices, and being a single man (hopefully indefinitely!) I decided that I needed an "escape plan". I.e. something proactive that I could do/build that would allow me the ability to travel, and have a place of my own (however tiny).

So I designed what I think is a comfortably cosy space that fits in a long wheelbase (medium height) Transit van: Studio Jamming - "Jam's Advantures"

Some of you may remember a few years back that I planned on building a studio space in my parents garden, then an opportunity to buy a lovely old chapel in our village turned up. Unfortunately I was outbid, but a year later the building remains unused because they can't get planning permission (as they were told before they bought the property). Anyway, with that golden opportunity gone I decided to move on and designed a small garden studio with a railway carriage theme. I then decided that it's all well and good having a structure here in the garden, but what happens if I have to move for whatever reason - I can't take it with me! Hence my decision to go with the van idea. I would've gone down the motorhome/caravan route, but I had some very specific needs that had to be met, none of which could be fulfilled in a caravan or motorhome. (If you're interested, it's mainly because I need a custom desk for my music keyboard.)

Rick is right though, the UK is very anti-overnight parking, which could be a big problem with my idea (if I intend to travel around a bit). Hence why a lot of people that live in vans tend to be in "stealth" mode!

Anyway, as for sat navs, I don't trust them 100% (I will always look up on Google Maps before I start my journey, and write down any notes as necessary), but I do use sat navs a lot if it's somewhere I've not been to before. I certainly wouldn't blindly trust them though, and I always have a back-up.

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam
  • Like 13

Another sat-nav story has been kindly provided by the Dragon-in-Law.  She previously lived on a rural property off what would be called a country lane in the UK but near to the main road.  She encountered more than one motorist trying to follow her fence line across country as it appeared some systems interpreted this line on the map as a line of road!

Motorhomes - known as campervans here - are great when you can find somewhere to park up at night.  In most of Australia that's easy.  In most of the UK it seems unnecessarily hard as every public car park, lay-by and other potentially suitable nocturnal spot has a "No Overnight Camping" sign / rule / officiously-enforcing busybody and every campervan site is owned by the Caravan and Camping Club which you need to join first and often pre-book your spaces with some time in advance.  

Not true. The Caravan Club also have loads of sites and there are thousands of privately owned ones. Caravan Club sites in popular areas can be fully booked at peak times, Camping and Caravan Club sites less so and both clubs provide excellent on site facilities. C&CC also give big discounts for us OAP's!

When I was 19, I bought an old Ford Thames van (the fore runner of the Transit) and converted it into a little home on wheels. I lived in 'digs' at the time and this was my escape at weekends. In those days I just used to park in laybys, on the beach or pretty much wherever I chose. If I was close to home, I did get the occasional visit from the law in the middle of the night - my van was well known locally and they were usually looking for a 'cuppa'!

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Not true. The Caravan Club also have loads of sites and there are thousands of privately owned ones. Caravan Club sites in popular areas can be fully booked at peak times, Camping and Caravan Club sites less so and both clubs provide excellent on site facilities. C&CC also give big discounts for us OAP's!

I still don't see why I cannot just park up in a remote car park or roadside lay-by as one can in many other countries and, far from being moved on by Plod or the local jobsworth, if one is troubled at all it is by some local just being friendly and after a chat with their temporary neighbours!  I don't need "facilities".  I can top up with fresh water as opportunity presents and deal with waste likewise.  If I must use power I can run the engine to keep the battery charged.  

When in Rome do as the Romans do.  When in Australia enjoy the Great Outdoors.  When in the UK remember there are rules, fees and enforcement officials ......... 

• Like 1

I still don't see why I cannot just park up in a remote car park or roadside lay-by as one can in many other countries and, far from being moved on by Plod or the local jobsworth, if one is troubled at all it is by some local just being friendly and after a chat with their temporary neighbours!  I don't need "facilities".  I can top up with fresh water as opportunity presents and deal with waste likewise.  If I must use power I can run the engine to keep the battery charged.  

When in Rome do as the Romans do.  When in Australia enjoy the Great Outdoors.  When in the UK remember there are rules, fees and enforcement officials ......... 

Mostly generated by fears that the local travelling community will set up camp.

• RMweb Premium

Mostly generated by fears that the local travelling community will set up camp.

There is an argument which suggests that if these folk were listened to and properly provided for according to their wants and traditions there would be a lot less abuse of lay-bys and car parks.  

There is an argument which suggests that if these folk were listened to and properly provided for according to their wants and traditions there would be a lot less abuse of lay-bys and car parks.  

Mmmmmm.

Sadly history shows otherwise. Where they have been provided for the results have been disastrous. The mess and destruction of areas where they have been allowed to remain for any length of time is the main issue. The fact they prefer to just "camp" where they feel like and not where there are provided facilities is also a big problem. In these parts abandoned horses, mess, destruction of natural areas, and crime are endemic with the arrival of travellers. Case in point a group recently tore down a safety gate on Wynn Common in Plumstead and set up camp. The result was a recorded increase in burglary, anti social behaviour, the loss of 3 football pitches to the local clubs, and now a £15k clean up bill that the council has to cough up before the land is usable again. They simply moved on to the empty land on the Greenwich peninsula where the Sainsbury's used to be. Again a fence was destroyed and the adjoining natural wetland park has been damaged. In this case though its the new property owner (Ikea) that is on the hook for the clean up. That includes septic tanks dumped into the natural ponds.

• RMweb Gold

A Redhill pay and display car park (one of the few left and often quite full on a Sunday) was partially taken over by Continental European travellers, mainly with rather up market German cars. The car park was strewn with rubbish (cant be certain its the travellers but its not normally like that) virtually empty and my other half decided not to park there and went ot Gatwick Tescos instead.

They were evicted on Monday and now have invaded Wray Common a mile or so away.

Missed Andy (AndyRam) anniversary it seems, so happy belated to you and the Mrs, hang in there and enjoy the ride/life, for many of us it is long term and rewarding.

Morning all...

Three sections to address it seems, business, family, discussions;

Business - as usual here, although no-one seems to know when the "end of days" may be. I'm trying to plan the next couple of months, and inquired if I'd still be here. Generally "opinion" is I'm here forever, but also some suggestions I'll be done by mid-September. Obviously as much planning/forethought on the requirements/subject as the entire project <sigh>. My boss would also like to know as we've projects "coming out our ears" that they'd like my expertise on.

Family - Jemma and her boyfriend split up. There were reasonable signs it may happen, so though she's obviously upset she's not shattered/life-over scenario. She flew back to Minneapolis yesterday for some support from family(especially mum) and friends. Her boyfriend pretty much the only person she knows in Billings as they moved there for his job. I will now be planning to help her retrieve her belonging and drive them back here in mid-august. Whilst he was/is a nice enough person, he's very immature compared to her and there were several shortcomings in their relationship. Onward and upward, she prefers Minneapolis to Billings anyway and the bonus will be she won't be "commuting" for now at least.

Discussions;

1) RV/Campervans. As Andrew has already commented (and not LIMITED to the areas he saw issues in) on stupid routes I'll not add to that, but also over here they are generally the size of double-decker buses OR LARGER! Typically also driven by folks who would have trouble handling a Fiat 500, it seems. They clog even the largest freeways most of the good weather times of the year, so any travelled area becomes an instant congestion, especially when they drive places you'd not take said Fiat 500, in many cases. Witness our trip to Mount Rushmoor two years ago. Mountain roads and Keystone the nearest town, has small winding roads TOTALLY CLOGGED by RVs. Whilst it may be a good way to tour the country, it's a BAD way to congest anywhere they go. Following half-a-a-dozen of them up and down winding roads you start to understand where road-rage might stem from!

We considered getting a 4-person capable version for our trip to the Dakotas two years back, but the rental cost/RV site fees/fuel calculations over here resulted in it actually being CHEAPER to take a car (even a nice rental for overseas visitors possibly) and stay in nice hotels/mountain cabins along the way. Anyone renting one here in the US should seriously look at the total cost. I know fuel is cheap here, but some of the larger RVs, that would therefore look comfortable to live in for a couple of weeks, are VERY costly to rent and run on an mpg basis. We estimated our breakeven was at around 200 miles for a 10-day vacation (may as well just drive to our cabin for a week, it's 90miles each way!!), so unless you want to stay in one place and drive back-and-forth to the local McDs, check the options/alternatives.

2) Satnavs - appears to me much of the discussion is "obviously" location-centric. That said, last year I used my Garmin and the latest UK maps for it for our UK vacation, and we were VERY successful at getting around the various places we wanted including us needing to track down our Airbnb accommodations. Even getting good directions all over Devon/Cornwall including across Dartmoor to Widecombe and around the Tintagel, Port Isaac, Clovelly etc.

I have now retired my Garmin as the Google maps/navigator implemented maps of the latest cell phones far surpass anything I've had before. For travelling on business I find it is always "NOW" very accurate giving me the ability to get directions from airport-hotel-businesses without fail, and has the added advantage that, being driven by google maps that are frequently updated, AND providing additional feeds for local traffic reports/recalculations.

we even us it to go to the cabin (only been driving there for 35 years!!) simply because it provides traffic updates/detours to avoid said traffic.

I think many of peoples' (even friends here in the US) bad experiences are from much older satnavs and years ago when they were suspect a lot of the time.

That said I WILL NOTE that on any trip, anywhere, the Mrs always makes a first stop and buys maps of the area we are in because she likes to have them available. She's not as much into technology and would rather scour the map than do the "resize/zoom/scroll" thing on any phone/tablet.

Phew, there's a lot of dubious info :)

Hot here on the east coast/Long Island high of 35 yesterday, 26 already driving in today with a high of 30 expected and rather humid.

Since I came out here Monday this week, I'm not leaving until Friday, and guess what, predictions are for a nice day Thursday and thunderstorms (read flustercuck at JFK) Friday!

Hope your satnav/maps can lead you to a good day.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Ian, an out of date navigation device without traffic updates is unwise. I took a world maps TomTom to Canada, as it was cheaper to buy one than rent but to be honest if we hadn't been driving round in Calgary we needn't have bothered. Once out of Calgary it would have been hard to miss Banff and Jasper.

Tony

• Like 5

I often wonder why caravans are given names such as; Sprite, Tornado, Whirlwind, Buccaneer.

The last name would be because of their ability to fly very low.

Please note in enclosed You Tube clip the undercarriage retracts as soon as the weight comes off.

• Like 10

The last name would be because of their ability to fly very low.

Please note in enclosed You Tube clip the undercarriage retracts as soon as the weight comes off.

Nice video, also (Buccaneer) reminds me of that old nautical joke

"...If you're a pirate, where are your buccaneers..."    "...under me buckin' 'at..." - ba boom :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel

Photo copyright John BushellRail Thing - Electrics and Diesels on Southern Metals

post-20244-0-78084600-1469636499_thumb.jpg

<RANT><CONTENTIOUS MODE ON>

Posted here as I'd get too much flak in any other location...

Seeing the great picture above, someone PLEASE tell me why we have no RTR version of this iconic multi-decade/multi-era/multi-livery EMU, BUT, for some unknown reason, a 4-carriage non-powered pretend-EMU lookalike that was pulled or pushed around, that carried about 10 people for 5 minutes one rainy Tuesday afternoon in October on some byway, is the latest/revered "EMU" to be announced. What a bunch of cobblers!

If someone can rustle up enough fanatics for that item, hasn't ANYONE got the vision to see they'd get an order of magnitude more sales for a 4-COR??

<RANT OFF>

Flak jacket obtained and heading for the bunker...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1

Photo copyright John BushellRail Thing - Electrics and Diesels on Southern Metals

attachicon.gif4-COR Weybridge - John Bushell.jpg

<RANT><CONTENTIOUS MODE ON>

Posted here as I'd get too much flak in any other location...

Seeing the great picture above, someone PLEASE tell me why we have no RTR version of this iconic multi-decade/multi-era/multi-livery EMU, BUT, for some unknown reason, a 4-carriage non-powered pretend-EMU lookalike that was pulled or pushed around, that carried about 10 people for 5 minutes one rainy Tuesday afternoon in October on some byway, is the latest/revered "EMU" to be announced. What a bunch of cobblers!

If someone can rustle up enough fanatics for that item, hasn't ANYONE got the vision to see they'd get an order of magnitude more sales for a 4-COR??

<RANT OFF>

Flak jacket obtained and heading for the bunker...

you forgot to turn <contentious mode off>!

This question in this location is purely rhetorical. It would be better directed at the likes of Hornby and Bachmann, and we know the issues they're having at the moment!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder why the various versions of the Tilbury Tank are not available in RTR. I made a plasticard model once. It wasn't too good. It is possible to get a 3D print version.

I keep suggesting the Tilbury Tank and the Fell diesel in polls. No response yet!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

This was taken in a layby just south of Lancaster. Kettle on lunch prepared and eaten with a lovely view and in comfort. 

attachicon.gifharbour.jpg

That looks like Conder Green with the bridge that used to carry the Glasson Dock branch. It's now a cycleway into the heart of Lancaster.

My only experience of a motorhome was as support vehicle for Bill Honeywell's coastal bike ride in 2011. (4400 miles in 10 weeks.)I drove it for a couple of days around the far north west of Scotland - Ullapool, Kinlochewe and Lochinver, before cycling with him It had two double beds and a "put me up" single that was my bed for the 10 days that I was with him.The "garage" at the back was brilliant for storing bikes safely overnight. The motorhome was 24feet long..........

post-408-0-97629000-1469639262_thumb.jpg

It would stop every 20-25 miles or so for a brew up and cake for the cyclists - usually Bill plus one other. I started the trend of stopping in spots with a view.

post-408-0-96974500-1469639263_thumb.jpg

The dent in the roof front was an altercation with a tree that fell down on it in a storm near Oban.

post-408-0-71814300-1469639264_thumb.jpg

Durness at the far north-west corner of Scotland.

post-408-0-64638900-1469639265_thumb.jpg

I rode with Bill from Lochinver round the top of Scotland and eventually finished my stint at Banff - a fabulous week of cycling (for me) and all for a good cause. The event raised about £40k for Cancer Research. Bill is currently climbing all the hills in the Lake District this year (512 of them?) for the same cause.

Cheers,

Mick

edit: typo.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Ugh, the new look is pants.

Motorhomes....we started with tents, and moved on to a trailer tent when we felt a little to creaky for tents, and the campervan when we felt MUCH too creaky.  We love it.  It's not a big one, just 5.5m Ducato high top medium wheelbase (a Trigano Tribute 550 for anyone interested) van body.  We love it.  It will just park in a normal parking space, does 35 to 40 mpg (2.2L turbo diesel) and is fast enough not to get in anybody's way.

Yes, they're expensive, but Ian is wrong about depreciation - basically they don't. We simply love the portability of holidays in it.

• Like 9