The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John

renewed my Network Card at a rather friendly ticket office at Ford station.

A good guided tour of a well known store and quite a few beers afterwards

no delays on the journey home apart from me falling asleep and dropping my ipad on the car floor.

A few minutes watching a couple of BNSF trains pass Rochelle in the conservatory before heading upstairs.

I think that I will sleep well tonight.

• Like 13

Evening all. I have missed a few days so have returned to far too many posts to catch up on. As a results I will send the generic congratulations, good wishes and commiserations. My apologies for not being around, but work exploded during the final week of term with a multitude of parent issues. The day's seemed to be never ending.

Thankfully the end of term has now been reached, but with mixed results. Some of the parent issues are ongoing which may mean that I will have to pop in more than usual during the break. I also finished the term in pain after aggravating my old Achilles tendon injury during the staff v school leavers football match.

Today Sarah, Amber and I have headed off down to Somerset for an early break. That was not straight forward as the over head traffic signs brought news of traffic chaos on the M5 around Bristol, with news of delays stretching between junctions 13 and 15 and more around 21 and 22. The thought of sitting for hours, in a hot car, with a restless four year old did not appeal so some quick thinking ensued. We left the motorway at junction 12 and contrived an alternative route through Bath and onto Taunton. Yes it added miles to our journey and meant the 3 hours 5 minutes predicted by the Sat Nav became 5 and a half, although there was an 45 minute stop in there.

We finally pulled into Bishops Lydard station car park at 1.45. A well earned tea and cake was consumed and some pennies spent in the gift shop. We watched the 2.35 service depart behind 6960 Raveningham Hall before driving onward to our holiday let. We are very happy with the accommodation - a lovely newly decorated barn conversion on a working farm not far from Watchet. This evening has seen a lovely pub lunch consumed - hopefully the recent tensions will start to ease. (They may ease quicker if my dear daughter will go to sleep).

I took a couple of photographs today which I will post if the wifi holds up. At present my IPad connects five, but the laptop will not.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

good evening back after an eventfull day first of all can i again say thanks to all those who have liked and sent messages about my photos it is appreciated

now to todays shenanigins arrived at Rochdale station to collect  Hayley for todays shoot and find a new bay platform being built at the south end of my old stamping ground and some new fangled signaling in place all very nice .

then its off over the moors to todays location only to find the place over run with yobs on quads and motor crossers so plan b was instituted and off to the derelict power station we go should be little disturbance there wrong half way through here voices from down stairs and find a group of student photographers setting up a project around the buildings so it cut back just how much we could do but not before we had got some good images so not a total bust . 

so without further ado here is the lovely Hayley showing off her lovely tatts !

DSC_7683-4.jpg

I thought that you had mispelt the last word  for a second or two :sungum:

Peanuts,

I appreciated your photo of Hayley, but remember that Early Risers comprises a range of ages and sexes (well, two of the latter).  Maybe you could publish as a link, to give people the option?

Maybe, to obviate the wrath of Dr Jones, we should all do the same with trains.

Bill

• Like 1

Was at a welding last night.

post-25691-0-78506300-1469307182.jpg

As well as a milling machine, band-saw and lathe, no home should be without an arc welder. You'll find all sorts of items you can repair, not to mention all the things you'll be able to make like, er well, that thingy above.

Yes, I know it looks like a tank trap but it's actually part of grader blade to go on the tractor's three-point hitch. This will be used to level the load of topsoil I'm getting for the front garden so that we can have something a bit like a lawn. No rush though - we only moved in here 21 years ago.

(Pay no attention to the quality of the welds. They are carp.)

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Mention of a welding reminds me that Mrs Stationmaster and I are off to Cornwall in a  couple of months time for a matrimonial event.  Herself attended thh first wedding of the woman who has invited us - must be around 40 years ago - that time she married a bloke, this time she's marrying another woman.

G'night all

• Like 6

Good evening all!

Another pleasant day weather-wise!

Thanks John
renewed my Network Card at a rather friendly ticket office at Ford station.

A good guided tour of a well known store and quite a few beers afterwards

no delays on the journey home apart from me falling asleep and dropping my ipad on the car floor.

A few minutes watching a couple of BNSF trains pass Rochelle in the conservatory before heading upstairs.

I think that I will sleep well tonight.

Jerry's quite a character; good sense of humour; trainee light aircraft pilot; knows his regular customers!

Glad you enjoyed the tour. Couldn't do that at Open Weekend (3/4th September) coz I'll be stuck in the loading bay as technical advisor and till monkey! Don't let that stop you visiting, however!

Great afternoon; looking forward to the next one. Thanks Ian

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Most of the morning was spent, to quote Chrisf, "doing unspecified pottering", basically putting away a lot of stuff that I've been using whilst working on the workshop, but no longer require as I've now finished with them.

After lunch I did manage to make a start on some MERG kits, completing another 4 input/out modules, I will continue construction of these tomorrow.

Indian takeaway for tea tonight, chicken sali for a change. This was followed by a glass of wine.

Of to bed now, goodnight all.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Had a very good POETS yesterday. With a trip to the model shop for yet more supplies and then laying floor tiles in the new porch. On the decorating front, I quite like tiling (and wallpapering) but am not keen on painting. Many brownie points were earned, especially as Mrs NB likes the tiles that "she" chose (with some subliminal persuasion from yours truly).

There was a round of golf today - could do better, but the two guys I was with made the mediocre golf bearable.

Tomorrow will be a bit of tidying up at wife's work, followed by driving and then a repair to Junior NB's car. A headlight that wasn't working was traced to a faulty plug on the back of the lamp. A trip to Halfords for a H4 fitment was fruitful.

More modelling to be done this evening.

Have a good Sunday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

It were a bit warm int scorebox today. Joe Root scored 250+ today, his younger brother Billy scored 100+.

Collegiate beat Barnsley CC.

Time for a sleep methinks!

Baz

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Try the walls and Canute's palace - if you can find them

There's a pub that used to be on the waterfront but is well inland now with pics of fishing boats being drawn up on the shore - which was then just in front of the pub.

And there's the geothermal project.

Were you thinking of The Royal Standard? It closed in 2007 and after changing hands through several developers is now a 'boutique hotel', the Pig in the Wall.

The Town Walls and medieval monuments make a good walk; the Old Town area is quite small. Some parts of the surviving wall circuit are unfortunately hemmed in by modern development but this replaced run down and abandoned industrial yards that also obscured them. The north east part of the circuit is inaccessible at present.

Goodnight all.

Pete

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Another in my occasional series, "Trains of the World"

attachicon.gifMiniTrainAAFrmw.jpg

If that's an 0-6-0 someone has stolen its middle drivers ;)

Happy Sunday to all.  No sun to report here.  Grey windy dampness remains in force.  Yesterday the temperature maxed out at 6C with a "feels like" of just 1C.  Today we are promised it will be "cooler".

Having the neighbours over for dinner tonight.  Think I'll roast them at 180C with some veggies plus a bacon and port jus ;)

Ha! Yeah, that's what you say! :D

It must've been quite a few years already since the last time we met. Where does the time go?!

Jam fully understands that ERs is founded on the search for nebulous ways to insult fellow posters.

In these pages I've watched Jam grow over many years from what he was then to what he is now.

post-7041-0-30123000-1469332440.jpg

These ladies jovially offered me help yesterday.
To do what?
It turns out it is a Supermarket promotion.
Are they going to walk in front of my trolley shooting gossipy old women in my way?
No, nor will they Taser folk who suddenly realise after packing their shopping that they have to pay for it and the purse is at the bottom of the shopping bag.
Where is the acid bath waiting to deal with sight impaired trolley pushers aiming for my ankles?
So, the T Shirts have a message that is very Silly.
These ladies are unable to help me - at least with anything to do with shopping.

attachicon.gifHelpersAAArmw.jpg

These ladies jovially offered me help yesterday.

To do what?

It turns out it is a Supermarket promotion.

Are they going to walk in front of my trolley shooting gossipy old women in my way?

No, nor will they Taser folk who suddenly realise after packing their shopping that they have to pay for it and the purse is at the bottom of the shopping bag.

Where is the acid bath waiting to deal with sight impaired trolley pushers aiming for my ankles?

So, the T Shirts have a message that is very Silly.

These ladies are unable to help me - at least with anything to do with shopping.

Which reminds me that our nephew believed the The Queen lived in Bucket and Palace.

Good morning one and all, and welcome back to Jam.

The new Star Trek movie is good fun and exactly what I needed yesterday.  To my horror, the multiplex turned out not to be air conditioned.  How could I have made such a mistake?  The 11.50 am performance was far from crowded and the kids who make a noise just by looking at a bucket of popcorn were watching something else.

Today is an open air day, at Quainton Road.  It must be 20 years or more since I was last there.  If I remember correctly, the other memorable exhibit is an item of London Transport surface stock made from the remains of two that had sustained war damage.  What's the betting that it is in a location totally unsuitable for photography?

In the week ahead I need to round up the stuff  to take with me on holiday.   When it comes to setting off and doing battle with the road network, being an early riser will come in handy.  More of that anon.  Until then, best wishes to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving, missing and depressed, with special thoughts to those trapped on the M20.  May deliverance come.

Chris

• Like 14

Awoken in the very early hours by an idiot who, according to his story at the front door, had walked 5 miles in the wrong direction after attending a wedding!
Wanted to use my 'phone.
No chance he was coming in.
Gave him directions and told him someone would pick him up.
They will, - the plod.