The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather warm and muggy village.   Had a very warm day yesterday, Asda was survived, I even managed to read quite a bit of a railway mag whilst waiting to pack and pay. Then tea was had and we had the terrible job of eating more strawberries.  I'll have to venture to the co op for more cream at this rate.    Then on to Castleford to do a talk about the horse tram, this went well and I even sold a book as well.

LE, I do hope that your pain is sorted soon. There is no need to suffer in this day and age.

Rick, all we can offer from this distance is support as you make whatever decisions are best for you.

Today the boss set off for Weightwatchers early and I've had a leisurely breakfast. The washer is nearly finished and hopefully the coloured's will be dry before the showers arrive at lunchtime.

Then I'm off over to Normanton to see Tony's daughter and the vicar to finish planning Tony's funeral. then no doubt some unspecified pottering will take place. I might even head for the back garden seeking more strawberries.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

' Morning all from red dragon land.

Thunder storms all through the night.  No, that's not a Welsh hymn!  :jester: 

Sunny but black clouds keep threatening.

Hope you (and your internet) stay safe as the weather passes - if you're this part of the world.

• RMweb Premium

Rick some tough choices you seem a bit torn between here and there. What are you long terms objectives?

Indeed Don.  This is all rather new and while we have been aware that her position here was under "organisational review" the approach from Kew arrived electronically overnight.  As she is and will remain the major breadwinner the long-term objectives are to ensure she remains fit and well to continue that role where ever it might be and to offer love, care and support together with a measure of financial input.  It is also important that she completes her PhD as the prefix Dr. to her name will lead to more openings, hopefully in the realm of international consultancy.  My employment is rather more portable and I could potentially work almost anywhere life leads us.  I'm past the stage of caring about long-term prospects and much more about projecting towards a worry-free retirement.  It's worth perhaps adding that I am ten years her senior.  If pressed on the subject I'd prefer a return to the UK though there is a lot in Oz that's good and it's been kind to us.  She being Aussie and having her family here is very torn but is well aware that family are likely to be around for some time while a career opportunity like this comes but once ......... 

• RMweb Premium

Hey up. Getting ready for day 2 of my match at Pudsey St Lawrence. If we finish in time I shall be at Headingley tonight recruiting new scorers and umpires.

Have a good day everyone

Baz

• Like 14

I’ve often thought of returning to the UK, Rick.  I’ve always discounted it in the end - just too crowded, damp and chilly. I like being able to go out and not being worried about where to park my car and then how far from the house I’ll have to park upon my return.

Good luck with whatever you decide. The hot weather we’re having is very good for my rotten “joints”. Yeah, it gets cold here in the winter but it’s a dry cold....

My Wife keeps threatening to have me deported - but that’s a different matter.

Best, Pete.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Hope you (and your internet) stay safe as the weather passes - if you're this part of the world.

Strange things are happening to my internet connection. Many sites are working (I'm posting here for eg) but others just hang or are intermittent. The BBC just isn't working at all and I can't stream my radio. I hope it's not a fault at my end.

Not as warm in the valley of the Sheaf as yesterday ... yet. I was a greasespot yesterday, glad I didn't have to stand in the middle of a field like Baz.

The arthritis does not like cold. Neither does it like extremely warm, so I'm trying to stay somewhere in between, but I am so far unable to find a comfort zone. I may have to try to find a luke warm wallow of my own.

Just waiting for the forecast apocolyptic thunderstorm to arrive now ...

Thoughts to all sick, injured, recovering and of course, the melting.

BTW Same problem with many sites this morning, apparently it's BT's fault.

ediit: 'kin fingers..

Edited by HeeleyBridge

Morning all

Strange things are happening to my internet connection. Many sites are working (I'm posting here for eg) but others just hang or are intermittent. The BBC just isn't working at all and I can't stream my radio. I hope it's not a fault at my end.

BTMail has gone intermittent here, BoD.

• RMweb Gold

Apparently, according to independent monitors, there have been major BT outages this morning.

As usual they aren't prepared to admit to it or give any details.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Despite the heat I managed to sleep better last night than the night before. I was considering moving to warmer climes when I retired, Malta was in my sights but in the end I decided that all the upheaval wasn't worth it. Not much to do today but I had better get on with it, be back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I think the BBC website may be affected by the number of people checking the weather report! 

Last day of term here so a few hours peace and quiet before the house become the focal point for the children and their friends. 

BTW, anyone who was defeated by high temperature and DIY/gardening projects yesterday may wish to consider a diy job that actually cools you....pressure washing the drive. Two middle-aged blokes, two jet washers.....you know it's going to end in a duel; growing old is compulsory, growing up is entirely optional!!  :jester:

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Very heavy rain during my trip to Great Harwood, but it's cooler than yesterday, the thermometer read 20C on my way here this morning. My first job is all but done, then it's on to the second and final job of the day, where I'll have a brew.

Working in the cellar yesterday was very pleasant, it's cool down there, but when you walk up the stairs you can feel the heat when you've only done just a couple of steps. I think I've made the right decision to site the railway down there, completing the baseboards will be a lot more comfortable than working in the attic, where I'd originally planned to put it! I'm hoping to get another coat of paint on the handrails and spindles when I get home later.

Back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Hot night but the ceiling fan helped waft the air about a bit - until herself turned it off.  Otherwise all the portable fans have been broken out of storage - so the weather will soon turn arctic (luvverly).  Good news from Nice that the people we know there weren't anywhere near the nasty events - so that's a relief.

Meanwhile the interthingy is doing strange tricks with some bits working properly and many other bits not doing much at all - and not only does BT email not work but Mrs Stationmaster's AOL mail is equally defunct - all probably a result of Brexit or some political thing we can blame on e someone, anyone, else.  One result is that I have found out how to access Farcebook - remarkably simple it turns out as all I have to do is click on the word 'Facebook' on the menu bar - never thought of that before (probably an age thing).

The big excitement today will be the collection of the Good Doctor's 'new' motorcar - all she will then need to do is pass her test (booked  for October) - which will make us a 3 car family.  All can easily be parked off-road but the potential problem will be getting out the one(s) furthest from the front gate which will involve having to park another (or two) outside as there is no passing loop in the drive (the house is in the way.  Another alternative might be to install a turntable in front of the garage and proved a couple of stabling sidings but my favourite bit of wall (wot I built) is in the way.

Have a good day everybody

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hot night but the ceiling fan helped waft the air about a bit - until herself turned it off.  Otherwise all the portable fans have been broken out of storage - so the weather will soon turn arctic (luvverly).  Good news from Nice   Another alternative might be to install a turntable in front of the garage and proved a couple of stabling sidings but my favourite bit of wall (wot I built) is in the way.

Have you thought of installing a loco car lift instead and go for the vertical fiddle yard option?

• RMweb Premium

Just got indoors after being released from hospital. Got some meds to take but no decent pain killers despite having used morphine on demand for a few days.

Off to rest now as I can sit down comfortably,

Not unusual.  I was sent home with much weaker pain relief that I had while an in patient, but a quick call to my GP, a callback from one of the Drs, and a scrip for Tramdol was on its way to the local pharmacy, and a call to the pharmacy, the drug was on the home delivery same day.  Worth a try.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

The big excitement today will be the collection of the Good Doctor's 'new' motorcar - all she will then need to do is pass her test (booked  for October) - which will make us a 3 car family.  All can easily be parked off-road but the potential problem will be getting out the one(s) furthest from the front gate which will involve having to park another (or two) outside as there is no passing loop in the drive (the house is in the way.  Another alternative might be to install a turntable in front of the garage and proved a couple of stabling sidings but my favourite bit of wall (wot I built) is in the way.

Have a good day everybody

You will obviously need a safe signalling system, perhaps a collection of calling on arms and a starter somewhere but the younger ones will obviously only be allowed to conduct such movements when a qualified signaller is on duty.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

Morning all from a soggy Scottish HQ. P!ssdown in progress, with accompanying thunder, but nothing to match the thunderstorm we had around 9am. Best one I've seen in a long time!

Due to storage space issues on my iMac (the Garfield-assisted replacement hard drive is now nearing capacity) and on Anamaria's Windoze laptop, I decided to get a NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive (a WD MyCloud 4TB). It arrived last night and I tried to set it up. No luck... I eventually found out this morning that they had planned maintenance yesterday (nothing told me that yesterday though!) which stopped creation of new accounts. It's claiming to be set up this morning, but won't let me into the account, doesn't recognise the user name or password, links in their emails not working, "how to" pages and videos out of date... I may need to start again from scratch, but it's been a very frustrating first introduction to their product... Anyone else had experience with these or other NAS devices?

Have also been fighting Fuji's photobook creation software to make a nice memento of Jamie's Disneyland Paris trip, but think we're nearly there now after about 4 nights of photobook layout work.

Hoping to POE today as I came in early and quite fancy a swim. Pub quiz tonight. Not sure what facts to learn for this week...

• Like 10

Apparently, according to independent monitors, there have been major BT outages this morning.

As usual they aren't prepared to admit to it or give any details.

Probably thrown their toys out of the pram and pulled the plug on something after being told off yesterday about Openreach...

Hoping to POE today as I came in early and quite fancy a swim. Pub quiz tonight. Not sure what facts to learn for this week...

Maria Theresia's new cabinet, especially the jokers put in charge of Brexit.

Bill

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Day started with a couple of thunderstorms which have cleared the air, then the periodic call to HMRC to see what's happening there.  Then took 30747 into a very soggy town to meet a friend for coffee, and back to walk Lily on the soggy streets.

Rick - it does sound as if you are on the horns of a dilemma there, and I hope that something turns up to get a resolution. 

Jobs for today appear to include the kitchen worktops and the hoovering again - I did it on Monday, but I'm reliably informed that it should be done more frequently than I do at present.

So back later, hopefully.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Still very warm here 28deg when we got in the car this morning. The horses and foals had chosen to be in the shade of the trees along the access road rather than out on the moor this morning. An Adder in the path this morning raised it's head and hissed at Marion fortunately neither dog was close.

I don't envy you having to choose Rick. It sounds as though the major factor is her choice as you seem willing to place her career first. I suspect if it had been the Eden Project rather than Kew you might have been more biased with the prospect of returning to Cornwall.

Don