The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

These days restaurants stay open but banks and the post office still close at lunchtime.

Have just given up gardening for the day. 24 deg at 9.00 and currently 27 deg. If it goes on like this I might be forced to take a dip in the sea. This is such a rare occurrence it might well make head line news in the local paper!

Shades of the south of France. First day in St Remy de Provance and my wife and I headed for the local supermarket. At noon we heard a bell ringing in the store and we were invited to park our shopping and leave the premise. The sign by the tills said the shop would reopen at 3 and so we went for a long lunch.

At the opposite end of the scale, we walked up to the garden centre in Bandon, County Cork at 5.55pm and were told by a member of staff, it closed at 6. We then stood and talked about everything for more than 20 minutes. We returned the following day and made our purchases.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Update.  Shift completed.  Safely home.  Current status = slightly snotty, watery eyes, aching chest, sore legs and a modest does of the shakes.  Entertaining little germ, this one.

My commiserations to all users of what was termed in a news report here as "British Failways".  Sink holes and other embuggerances do nothing to inspire confidence in the ability to satisfactorily reach B from A.  Now it seems nothing is moving through Blazingsmoke due to multiple track circuit failures bringing the SW main lines and the Reading route to a standstill.

Haven't had a chance to read or rate.  My apologies.  I'm off to sleep now and hope to surface by the weekend in a recovered and healthier state.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Happy birthday Baz

Anyone know what the melting point of human is?

You really don't want your brain temperature to go above 41 or 42oC.  (107 in old money). 

Mind you, you wouldn't know much about it if it did.  :angel:

Enzymes responsible for brain function start to denature (change shape, not work) and you sort of start fitting, coma, ....

I'd get one of my books out of the loft which gives you the precise temperatures for different symptoms, but it's a tad warm up there at the moment. :)

Mind you I have discovered a fab new way of cooking tomatoes whilst on the vine. Can't get fresher than that!

Just leave the greenhouse door and window shut. It reached 55oC in there yesterday. 

• Like 3

Happy Birthday Baz...

A special "...crikey, she ain't 'arf clever, look wot a ejukaishun does for folks" to Sherry for her rapid response/translation services to help Oldd out :jester:

Slow day yesterday, just busy working. Pleased to report cockwomble free.

Today may be more "interesting", though not related to work. Already have a 24-hour flash flood warning for heavy thunderstorms starting this morning through tomorrow AM, also have a 72-hour heat index warning with gradually increasing temperatures expecting to peak at 38-39 on Thursday with heat index as high as 110F (43C). Bloody good job air conditioning is pretty much a "standard" feature of both houses and cars here.

On with the day (all translations accepted), stay cool if you're in warmer situations.

• Like 12

Its a beautiful sunny day here in sunny Plymouth.

The news on the great unmentionable movement is that at 08.33 I finally feel comfortable is southern parts. Just close on 48 hour. Enuff said.

Last drain out and the expected xray has not materialised. So my expected departure has turned into a non starter.

Another chap on the ward was flat on his back when he came in 3 days ago. Diagnosisi, a broken back and he couldnt eat or drink anything. No surgery done since he came in and he has just walked out to come back in a few weeks.

• RMweb Gold

A special "...crikey, she ain't 'arf clever, look wot a ejukaishun does for folks" to Sherry for her rapid response/translation services to help Oldd out :jester:

My bride doesn't even need her undoubted thespian skills to upstage me, of course. 

But then, while we went to the same skool, Sherry went on to earn a diploma and then a degree. I just joined the railway. She is thus more edumacated than wot I am. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Remind me not to go into the NHS system if I ever get sick while in the UK :nono:  With stories like that, I really wonder why so many people want to come to the UK for some free health service, expertise appears to have been cut away rigorously with all those budget cuts to those who actually do the work. Managers have the nasty habit of always making sure they don't get cut :rolleyes:

I'm sure NH Neil could offer some insider comments on that subject, but may be too discreet to do so. 

I have never lived in the area, but Derryford Hospital does not have a shining reputation in all respects, ISTR. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

My bride doesn't even need her undoubted thespian skills to upstage me, of course. 

But then, while we went to the same skool, Sherry went on to earn a diploma and then a degree. I just joined the railway. She is thus more edumacated than wot I am. 

But you have have been trained!

Just look at all the law students that leave university and end up working in Costa Coffee.

Mind you, I'm not surprised as they can't even spell barrister correctly.  (And the edit proves that I am also unable to spell!)

Edited by Happy Hippo

Afternoon all from a pretty sweltering Scottish HQ (yes, it even gets warm in Scotland! Some of us have even taken off our second vest and long johns! The gloves and scarf will be coming off if the mercury goes any higher...)

It's going down to the wire at Southport in Durham's County Championship game against Lancashire - Durham needed 51 to win with 3 wickets remaining. I'm keeping an eye on the score as I work. (Got sidetracked - Durham scoring slowly but steadily and now 30 to win).

Hope everyone's well, apart from those struggling with the heat! I left the thermometer in the sun earlier and it reached 41C. The actual office temperature's 26ish.

Busy few days over the weekend - a friend's wedding reception on Friday night, out to the Mardi Gras for Edinburgh Jazz and Blues Festival on Saturday, safari park with Jamie on Sunday and then feeling ill so working at home yesterday!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately I do not know what temperature it has been today it might only have worried me. I might have reached melting temperature as I have been dripping all afternoon. A lorry loaded with slates and pulling a trailer with the same pulled up outside our house and started to back up the road. I went out to speak to him as it is not really safe and he was having trouble doing it.  His satnav was telling him he had just passed his destination. Trouble was the place was down the other road he had taken the wrong road at a fork. It was madness to try to back round a bend with a trailer. especially as the cars zip round the bend often over the 40mph speed limit. I told him how to get there going forwards and he shot off probably rather relieved.

Don

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Way too much wrk to catch up on after two weeks holiday but had to leave early to try and catch one of the few Thameslinks that call at Redhill in peak hours. Southern Failways advising people to avoid changing at ECR due to the overcrowding there.

Now standing in a packed new Gatwick Expres unit that Thameslink are running at the moment but at least the air con is working.

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Scorchio here as well.  Posts all read and rated.  Greetings to all, especially Baz for another trip round the sun.

Back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone.

Phew, it's been a scorcher, 29C, according to the thermometer in the car. I did manage to keep the car in the shade of a large tree whilst I was completing my last job, but the air-con has been working overtime through out the day though. It's a bit of a shock though, when I had to keep getting out of a car that's 18C into the temperatures we've had today. 1 litre of iced tea, 3/4 litre of water has been consumed today, plus a couple of cups of tea.

Today's three jobs duly completed and early home too. I also managed to get some more paint applied to the handrails and spindles, which I didn't expect to do today.

Dave. Lovely photos, very atmospheric.

AndrewP. WOW what a fantastic amount of money Jock's family have managed to raise.

Back later.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

It's even in the high 20's on Fraggle Rock.  Stunned.

OD, don't get me started on NHS management - if only the fat slobette don't give a fonkeys muck general manager had got out of the office and visited the places and junior managers she was supposed to manage then I might still have been there!  Not that I'm bitter...I wouldn't have the god life here I now do, without her 'support'.  Heaven help anyone that still works for her, if she's still around.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's even in the high 20's on Fraggle Rock.  Stunned.

OD, don't get me started on NHS management - if only the fat slobette don't give a fonkeys muck general manager had got out of the office and visited the places and junior managers she was supposed to manage then I might still have been there!  Not that I'm bitter...I wouldn't have the god life here I now do, without her 'support'.  Heaven help anyone that still works for her, if she's still around.

Like I said - discreet.

27 deg and the first rumbles of thunder. Apparently we are eating outside tonight so i hope the rain holds off for a while.

Our normally quiet beach was packed this afternoon. The dogs aren't allowed on the beach at this time of the year so they made do with a swim in the river.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Thermometer in the, east facing, porch now reading 25 and it feels to have cooled down a bit.  Best bit of the day was going for a ride in the car with the aircon guzzling extra fuel - parked in the shade at Root One and had a cuppa and a nice snack.  Fans now downloaded brought down from the attic and using up some of the electricity being generated on the roof, plenty of free hot water as well of course.

• Like 14