The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I have walked the dog, taken him to kennels, and cut the front tiny lawn. Off soon to the GP, a summons to attend from the doctor not an appointment I initiated.

Then I will finish my packing, probably by taking out stuff I think I won't need. I did reproof my lightweight jacket last night so I should be OK on days out. I noted that the hotel we have booked in charges £30 per person to use facilities after check out time. I think we will checkout and go to a nearby shopping centre to waste time until we can dump the car at the cruise terminal.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

Hmmm, just blew half of next year's train budget. Oops.

In other news, debating on whether or not I can be ar$ed to start a build thread on my Freemo modules. Does anyone bother doing build threads anymore? More to the point, does anyone bother reading build threads?

Bah!

It's noon-o'30 here right now, and even though as I look to the west there's mostly blue sky (JFK is about 8 miles due west of my present dungeon), JFK are already reporting "John F Kennedy Intl (KJFK) is currently experiencing inbound flights delayed at their origin an average of 1 hours 51 minutes due to thunderstorms". 

Dunno where the supposed storms are that already affect JFK, but my weather radar is showing the only severe weather activity close to here as being 150 miles WNW of here near Scranton PA, tracking ENE so shouldn't even be a factor!

Never a good sign though. My flight,  departing at 1555 is already being reported as 20 minutes late, but the inbound from Florida (clear weather from there to here) is reported as "on time" having departed about 10 minutes ago with an arrival time of 1444, so who knows <sigh> :jester:

I'm anticipating a flustercuck :O irrespective...

• RMweb Gold

Morning from Amtrak Cascade service. I like these Talgos however as they are very well used they are starting yo get a bit worn. I just got back from the Bistro car with two teas. As my other half took the lid off the person in front of her rocked the seat and table plus with the cup being filled yo the brim quite a bit spilt over her. Luckily it didn't burn her but she's now very wet in an embarrassing area.

A lovely day here. This is likely to be our last chance to ride the lines through the Tacoma Narrows as next year Amtrak is moving to a more direct route into Tacoma and a anew station more in town next to the Sounder commuter station.

We head further North to Tukwila where we stay our last night this trip in the USA. A few brew pubs in the area just for a change.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from Estuary-Land. Collected the said models/dioramas from the elderly gentleman who made them, I didn't realise just how big they were, the larger of the two (1 metre X 60 cm) only just fitted onto the back seat of the car with the other (75 X 55 cm) rested carefully on top of it. The larger model represents a haulage company yard with office and workshop buildings and the other a car dealership with service facilities, both are 00 scale. These will be ideal for displaying my collection of Oxford and other models.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

A successful days work in the garden, with the ground levelled off, paving slabs set in, weed suppression membrane fitted and the decking support structure is all but complete, I've just got to fit one "shaped" corner then I can start to lay the deck. That task however, will be one for tomorrow morning.

I've also been painting the the three newel posts through out the day, each has been given four coats of paint, I think one more will do it. I've still got the handrails and spindles to paint, but the spindles are still a little too damp, I think they'll need five coats too.

We're off to the Trafford Centre shortly to pick up a couple of click and collect items and whilst we're out I'll pop round the corner and pick up my paint, I'll definitely need it tomorrow.

Pete. Happy anniversary.

Back later.

• Like 11

Some great pics here over the last few days - from the beautiful one of Is to Dave's constitutionals, to Polly's, Dr Herbert, Mike's Stationmaster hols and Dom's self-portraits - many thanks.

As DonW has already alluded to, there has been a series of short talks on R4 re the referendum from all viewpoints (A Point Of View: After the Vote). Interesting stuff and doubtless available on listen again.

Am away for a break to Southampton and Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour for the next week, away from internet, so hope all goes well with everyone. Will investigate some southern beers...

Mal

• Like 11

An early start and an early finish with plenty of driving around the Reading area in the sunshine. Although I retuned early I decided that the eyelid inspection carried out yesterday required a second opinion and fell asleep in the chair for 2 hours.

Congratulations to Dr Herbert

Dave - More stunning photos.

AndrewC - As far as build threads goes, I read them if they interest me.

Mal - Enjoy the break

Thinking of those ailing, supporting, recovering and missing

• Like 13

Morning from Amtrak Cascade service. I like these Talgos however as they are very well used they are starting yo get a bit worn. I just got back from the Bistro car with two teas. As my other half took the lid off the person in front of her rocked the seat and table plus with the cup being filled yo the brim quite a bit spilt over her. Luckily it didn't burn her but she's now very wet in an embarrassing area.

A lovely day here. This is likely to be our last chance to ride the lines through the Tacoma Narrows as next year Amtrak is moving to a more direct route into Tacoma and a anew station more in town next to the Sounder commuter station.

We head further North to Tukwila where we stay our last night this trip in the USA. A few brew pubs in the area just for a change.

Around Seattle the phrase "driving to Tukwila" is a euphemism for going off for a discrete sh*g.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, just blew half of next year's train budget. Oops.

In other news, debating on whether or not I can be ar$ed to start a build thread on my Freemo modules. Does anyone bother doing build threads anymore? More to the point, does anyone bother reading build threads?

My build threads are rather dormant until I get the bungalow into shape and can resume modelling. I do read a number of build threads some are very interesting Mikkel's Fathing Blog, Dave Wenlock's blog, Maurice Hopper's Blog, any of the AndyPeters threads try Pencarne or Port Meryn, ChrisN's thread Traeth Mawr, Edwardians thread Castle Aching, Chaz's Dock Green and Furness valley, there are more but you get the idea. It is a pity Missy has moved her Highclere thread elsewhere it had some top stuff in it. These are people doing what I call real modelling. The level of skills vary from thread to thread but all are example of people striving to make the best model they can. Another I have missed on the list is Chris (Spams) Pencarrow which recently featured how he made a mock up at 1:10 to check if it was going to work scenically.

I don't know what you are doing with your modules and whether you want all and sundry to chip in with ideas. My own build got lots of info in the planning stages especially from SM Mike of this thread which I would have struggled to find. A chance comment by me on Peter Smiths thread Saltdean got me a whole raft of photos of Dolgelley which I could not have got elsewhere.

Don

• Like 12

Well we managed a total and complete FLUSTERCUCK here at JFK

Boarded on time but thanks to the mess that is JFK waited 30 minutes in the alley to push.

Thanks to that delay we caught the storm, got taxied to the arse-end-of-beyond at the airport and are sitting here engines shut down even though it's now sunny and clear. Looks like something approaching the entire fleet of commercial aircraft in the world are all waiting to leave. We been given an estimate of 35 minutes from now "probably".

Bu$%er I hate JFK :(

Boarded on time but thanks to the mess that is JFK waited 30 minutes in the alley to push.

Thanks to that delay we caught the storm, got taxied to the arse-end-of-beyond at the airport and are sitting here engines shut down even though it's now sunny and clear. Looks like something approaching the entire fleet of commercial aircraft in the world are all waiting to leave. We been given an estimate of 35 minutes from now "probably".

Even Southern Failways seem to be doing better than that currently!

Night all!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

game 1 scored .. game 2 (T20) umpired...

Tomorrow I shall be mainly sitting at Harrogate CC watching the rain fall....

sleep well all!

Rick hope it is not too cold at Flinders!

Baz

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Good luck getting home Ian.

We have morning flights tomorrow but fingers crossed they will be OK as I think they all commence in the North West and weather is fine here.

And Just to prove it here is another sunny scene

post-1557-0-33192200-1468533368_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Even Southern Failways seem to be doing better than that currently!

Night all!

Thats because they've stopped running trains.

Goodnight all.

• RMweb Gold

Thats because they've stopped running trains.Goodnight all.

The amount of jokes and p*** take out of Southern including an online game I reckon GTR will drop the name Southern as it's probably going to be as infamous as the British sandwich.

If I can extract the Southern game out of FB, I will post

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

Back from our short trip to the Trafford Centre, orders collected and paint picked up. When we got home we decided to have a glass of wine tonight. We don't usually drink mid week, but we thought f**k it, I'm on holiday.

Ian. I hope you don't have to wait too long at JFK. Been there myself a few years ago, the queue of planes waiting to take off was like incredible, never seen anything like that before, dozens and dozens. Took off over an hour late, arrived 10 minutes early, due to a strong tail wind.

AndrewC. I too read some build threads, but usually only if the subject takes my fancy. But I think you can learn a lot from other people's ideas.

Mal. Enjoy your break.

I'm bucking follocksed now so it's off to bed.

Goodnight all.

• Like 11