The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3200 years in one photo

There have been one or two nice photos of trees in the last couple of days, so I thought I'd show you another one

Not every tree has a nickname, but 'The President' has earned it. This giant sequoia stands at 247 feet tall, and is estimated to be over 3,200 years old. Imagine, this tree was already1200 years old when Jesus walked the earth.

The trunk of The President measures at 27 feet across, with 2 BILLION needles from base to top. They had to climb the tree with pulleys and levers, and took thousands of photos.  Of those, they selected 126 and stitched them together,to get this incredible portrait of the President. You can see the size by the guy in the orange jacket at the bottom - there is another most of te way towards the top

Incredible, is it not?

I’ll bite, Jack. How tall in 3.5mm - and would anyone believe it?

Years ago I went to a model railway show in Brentwood (at the Teacher Training College, as was). One layout had modeled trees in 4mm to scale size and they towered over everything.

Best, Pete.

• Like 3

I’ll bite, Jack. How tall in 3.5mm - and would anyone believe it?

Years ago I went to a model railway show in Brentwood (at the Teacher Training College, as was). One layout had modeled trees in 4mm to scale size and they towered over everything.

Best, Pete.

864 mm in HO, give or take - and speaking of trees, did you realise that two of the trees used for filming "The Kings Road" in Game of Thrones filmed in Northern Ireland. were blown over by Storm Gertrude. They have been expertly carved into 10 doors and fitted into 10 pubs forming a tour around the Country representing scenes form the sixth series - http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/heres-you-can-find-10-11554056

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

How do you get 81% humidity? It’s a comfortable 51% at 85f here.

Big storms for your hometown tomorrow, I’m afraid....

Best, Pete.

Pete - unfortunately from a "very local Lon Giland morning report". Didn't feel quite that bad when I actually went out to the car, but since I spend about 30 seconds in real air between hotel and car, I didn't think much of it. Apparently it is closer to 59% in reality, having checked outside when I walked for lunch! :jester:

Hometown/state definitely getting some serious weather yesterday and today, though for now bypassing the Twin Cities metro area <phew> so the Mrs won't have to be picking up debris.

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Gold

3200 years in one photo

There have been one or two nice photos of trees in the last couple of days, so I thought I'd show you another one

Not every tree has a nickname, but 'The President' has earned it. This giant sequoia stands at 247 feet tall, and is estimated to be over 3,200 years old. Imagine, this tree was already1200 years old when Jesus walked the earth.

The trunk of The President measures at 27 feet across, with 2 BILLION needles from base to top. They had to climb the tree with pulleys and levers, and took thousands of photos.  Of those, they selected 126 and stitched them together,to get this incredible portrait of the President. You can see the size by the guy in the orange jacket at the bottom - there is another most of te way towards the top

Incredible, is it not?

attachicon.gifpres.jpg

Our tallest tree in England at Dunster is a mere 60metres or 197ft although it is a mere youngster a Douglas Fir planted in the 1870s perhaps it might catch up.  Incidentally the mighty Ribblehead viaduct would be about halfway up that tree. That would be something on a layout a viaduct dwarfed by  a tree.

Don 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone

As we've had a few photos of boats recently, I though I'd post some too.

post-27337-0-25908200-1468342301_thumb.jpeg

post-27337-0-62906300-1468342532_thumb.jpeg

This is one of my other hobbies, it's a Matchbox Kit of a Flower Class Corvette.

I built and converted it to run using R/C in the late 80's.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Back tomorrow.

I did try the sh!tty BBC4 show and it wasn't even good enough to rank as an insult to your intelligence.  Did you know that a Black 5 was known as that because it is Class 5 and was painted black to distinguish it from the "Standard Class 6" which was red.  And there was me thinking that the numbers were there for that reason.

Back tomorrow.

I did try the sh!tty BBC4 show and it wasn't even good enough to rank as an insult to your intelligence.  Did you know that a Black 5 was known as that because it is Class 5 and was painted black to distinguish it from the "Standard Class 6" which was red.  And there was me thinking that the numbers were there for that reason.

And the bit where the presenter in Fort William talks about the other steam engine used on the Jacobite being 42005. I do dislike it when these types of programme make sloppy mistakes.

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Nice to see Debs here, and I'm a touch jealous of Polly's footplate experience!

Liked the 'Compass Rose', Brian.  I built one of those way back, it's long gone unfortunately.  I'd love to make models of the favourite of the ships I sailed on - one old tub, and a bulk carrier!

post-10195-0-12357000-1468344701.jpg

post-10195-0-74531000-1468344716_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Good evening all,

And the bit where the presenter in Fort William talks about the other steam engine used on the Jacobite being 42005. I do dislike it when these types of programme make sloppy mistakes.

Don't forget that the presenter is just the blonde bimbo in front of the camera! The mistakes are more often down to poor research and script writing by the back stage crew. They even completely overlooked Ian Allen's significance in the train spotting world! There was even reference to the Beeching cuts; he just did the research, wrote the report and let the government of the day wield the axe! (He wasn't empowered to revoke the Acts of Parliament by which the railways were built!)

I will treat tonight's episode in the manner in which I took last evening's: tongue-in-cheek and better presented by Rowan Atkinson or Billy Connolly!

Oh! and what is a train spotter? (See my signature!)

• Like 2

Evenin' all,

Many thanks for your continued support.

I gave in to the invites today......having had a superb steak & chips with a cousin at lunchtime then went out walking with our best man this afternoon before an Indian meal at his local restaurant tonight.

Dave

• Like 10

I've mentioned here the circumstances of the birth of my grandson, Laurence. His mother has now written a piece for a magazine on his first two years. If you would care to read it, it's here:

http://www.babylondon.co.uk/real-life-story-baby-suffered-stroke-birth/

The original title was 'My Little Pinch of Stardust'.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Dick

read the piece - and just hope young un continues to progress. A lot of love shown in your family.

Evening.

Nice to see Debs here, and I'm a touch jealous of Polly's footplate experience!

Liked the 'Compass Rose', Brian.  I built one of those way back, it's long gone unfortunately.  I'd love to make models of the favourite of the ships I sailed on - one old tub, and a bulk carrier!

attachicon.gifFurama-1985.jpg

attachicon.gifStirling%20Bridge-01.jpg

in a shipyard these are ships. Boats are those things which submerge under water (and hopefully re-surface on demand).

The bulk carrier would be one large model!

Stayed dry at cricket. Some good (and bad) skills displayed. 

Off to Dr Olivers' Graduation in Hull tomorrow.. Judge dread you have been warned!

sleep well/have a nice day depending on where you are on Planet Earth.!

Baz

• Like 14

Great to see a posting from Collie Towers today. It's certainly lifted my mood.

Dick - Many thanks for sharing that with us.

Another early start again tomorrow. I'm off to Hertfordshire for a change.

Night all

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

The rain held off and I managed to get lots done on the workshop. SWMBO was at a school concert this morning, so when I made myself a brew at 11 o'clock, I took it outside so I could continue.

The back wall given 3 coats of paint and the fence panels that were removed to give access have been replaced.

The windows have been given 3 coats of paint, the door and side wall (which were painted earlier in the week) were both given a 3rd coat of paint.

I'm now ready to start preparing the ground in front of the workshop, making it level and ready for the decking framework, but that will have to wait until Thursday.

Tomorrow I've got an appointment (the one I thought was last week) with the oncologist and trials nurse in the morning. We've to be there for 8:20 so we'll have to leave around 7:15 to miss the rush hour traffic.

Another MERG order arrived today, it'll give me something to do on a rainy day perhaps!

Dick. A wonderfully touching story, if story is the right word!

Ian. Sorry to hear about Michelle's loss.

Deb's. Welcome back.

LE. Good luck with your OP tomorrow.

Goodnight all.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I've mentioned here the circumstances of the birth of my grandson, Laurence. His mother has now written a piece for a magazine on his first two years. If you would care to read it, it's here:

http://www.babylondon.co.uk/real-life-story-baby-suffered-stroke-birth/

The original title was 'My Little Pinch of Stardust'.

Very moving. It shows the doctors should never write anyone off.

Don

Sitting on the ward, playing on my tablet, listening to the cacophony of noises. 3 others on the ward. One has a suction thingy that sounds like it could clear the bilges of a super tanker. One has some other machine making equally loud noises and the third is snoring like its going out of fashion. Its gonna be a long night. Well, long until I am woken at six!

Very moving. It shows the doctors should never write anyone off.

Don

There was never any question of that, ever. He's had superb support from the NHS without any question of cost. I just hope that support continues, though I have my doubts.

• RMweb Gold

Just had another Brexit debate, this time in A model shop in Portland. Quite interesting to see what people side of the pond think about what we voted for in the referendum.

I try not to get involved in the Trump situation unless I already know ier views.

Came out of the shop with one magazine and a pack of ditch lights. Normally I spend quite a bit more in there. Also had an offer to visit their local club tonight which was very tempting but with only two nights here for beer we will try to visit them next year.

Anyway the nearest brewpub is just across the street to the shop and the Barrel Aged Stout is superb!

• Like 17

Schools closed here on 22nd June, Andy.

Mostly because they are generally not air-conditioned and it gets blistering hot.

They have way less holidays in winter.

Swings and Roundabouts, really.

Lovely piece, Dick! A gem indeed.  I try and give to St. Judes Children’s Research Hospital over here now (when I’m flush).  After I was born I spent 3 months (or more) in Great Ormond St. Hospital because of Talipse. I walk fine now but have one leg nearly an inch longer than the other (which has given me scoliosis). My Dr. over here says I should be 6’ 2” - I’m  5’ 9” (down from 5’ 10” last year).

If I live long enough I’ll disappear up my own ass....

I still played Soccer, Cricket and in Cross-Country running team for my senior school, though.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 11