The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Wired time zone here in St John's. It's 04.20

After collecting the rental car we drove 55 miles to our first stop via the Teams Canada Highway yo Whitbourne which was the first inland town on the island apparently.

The station building is now Council offices plus supposedly a small museum but it was shut and a few items of stock are on a length of track

What gauge was the system Ian.

Jamie

• Like 4

Baz,

The pedant in me thinks that you are wrong.  Without my library in Budapest, was it the first Black 5 built by the LMS, but an outside builder produced the first one, with a later number?  Someone correct me, please.  Anyway, welcome to 5000 everyone.

Bill

I was under the impression that 5020 was the first one but I'm the last person to know about the LMS!

Chris

Morning all. Here is a picture in honour of the thread reaching the lowest numbered Black 5.

post-13478-0-24708800-1467529574_thumb.jpeg

Very bleary eyed this morning; Amber has developed a very nasty cough which kept her awake until the early hours. The poor girl was sobbing because she was so tired. She is supposed to be at a birthday party this afternoon, I am not sure she will be well enough to be speeding around a soft play area - but then again...

Have a good day all.

• Like 5

Morning all. Wired time zone here in St John's. It's 04.20

After collecting the rental car we drove 55 miles to our first stop via the Teams Canada Highway yo Whitbourne which was the first inland town on the island apparently.

The station building is now Council offices plus supposedly a small museum but it was shut and a few items of stock are on a length of track

like the old Wayne & Shuster joke: the world will end tomorrow at 9:00. 9:30 in Newfoundland.

Morning all from Brussels. Slightly delicate after yesterday's beer hunting. We had an early night and what is for us, a sleep in. Now to hunt down breakfast.

Enjoy your day.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

like the old Wayne & Shuster joke: the world will end tomorrow at 9:00. 9:30 in Newfoundland.

Morning all from Brussels. Slightly delicate after yesterday's beer hunting. We had an early night and what is for us, a sleep in. Now to hunt down breakfast.

Enjoy your day.

Does Delirium do breakfast :drink_mini:?

• Like 7

Pedantically from Budapest.  After they ran out of numbers in the 5XXX range, the LMS (or LMR) numbered them in the 4XXX range.

Another on Belgian beer last night, until we decided that we wouldn't get back from Pest by public transport after the game.  So watched it in a bar drinking Czech beer.

Bill

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from red dragon land B&B.  A spot of catching up and turning up some some bib and braces and slop jacket (Mine! :jester:  ) the order of the day.

Well done Tony. Page 5000 the first LMS Black 5 built.:-)

Baz

It's model proudly on display in our 'ouse.

Youngest here for boom bing (Batala Band) at locals carnivals this weekend.  Playing at West  Shore promenade, Llandudno July 17 if you're in the area. 

Enjoy your day as much as you can.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, up earlier than usual for a trip to hospital for an MRI scan of my head and neck, quite what happens when they look at the dried peas in my skull I don't know. Dry here at present and occasional sunshine so a bit of gardening may be required on my return. Washer instalation went well and it is ever so quiet you literally have to look at it to know that it is washing!

I hope everyone has the best day they can..

Morning all. It looks like a better day weather wise so I may have to venture outside at some stage.

Thinking of Dave and Is

Back later.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

The only officially recognised 5000 was Launceston Castle.

All the others were cheap foreign knock offs

Coo! That could trigger a handbags at dawn incident in certain quarters!

An overcast day with drizzle forecast. Too bad the F1 is on mid-evening, as it would not be a chore to be indoors this afternoon.

When you acquire a second copy of a model, in a slightly different livery, and realise you hadn't fitted a DCC decoder in the original, then you settle down to do both at once. Open up the first one - DCC socket! Quickly mount a suitable decoder, off to the barn to test and bingo, runs fine. Open the second one - no socket and almost every electrical arrangement is different! Rats! The trailer cars are just as different, and can I be arsed to put decoders in them, which will mean a complete rewire? Probably not. Roco is the manufacturer, X2700 railcars, TEE & SNCF versions. All secondhand, of course.

Hope Is remains comfortable, and everyone's Sunday is tranquil.

<snip>

There have been plenty of troubles and strife at work too - but also one nice moment. On Friday our World Cup dancer arrived home, bedecked in her team England track suit. She walked in to a spontaneous round of a applause from her class mates. She brought her medals to show, but was so grounded by it all that she had just shoved them in a pocket as an afterthought. She is such a delightful child. School rules prevent me posting her picture on here of course. <snip>

Is it not strange that it is perfectly all right for a child to miss school for a competition - but NOT all right to miss school to go on an overseas holiday?  Sorry - not trying to be argumentative - but it does seem like one rule for the goose and another for the gander, to me

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

An add-on to the Somme notes. July 1, 1916, the Newfoundland regiment went over the top. Right into machine gun fire. Of the 800 who left, 69 answered roll call the next morning. This has been their day of mourning ever since, even though the rest of Canada celebrates Confederation (Newfoundland was not in Canada at the time).

A similar situation in Britain, where regiments had been recruited by county, led to a reorganization to keep areas from being totally denuded of young men.

The county regiments were unchanged (although they had in anyway long had mixed membership in most cases) and in wartime in forward areas they simply got whatever replacements were available.  Similarly the Territorial battalions also remained largely based on local area recruitment although they too seem to have got whatever replacements were available when in forward areas.  What was changed was the Pals battalions - the idea had worked well as a recruiting incentive but hit localised morale particularly hard in the event of mass casualties.  It was also considered that as the level of casualties could be - and in the particular case of the Somme were - very obvious right down to street level it would be more sensible to have a greater mix so they were effectively disbanded by having a much wider geographic range of replacements.  In any case by 1917/18 the New Army battalions had become the numerically major part of the British army hence pals style recruiting, particularly after conscription had come in, would have been more difficult as the groups of civilians were often no longer there to recruit from in sufficient numbers.

And good morning all - currently bright and sunny with no rain forecast but cloud is expected later.  Having weeded the paviors by the front gate yesterday I doubt anything gardenwise will find its way onto my aching back agenda today.

Have a good day everybody

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I was under the impression that 5020 was the first one but I'm the last person to know about the LMS!

Chris

5020 - Vulcan Foundry 1934  (Batch numbered 5020 - 5065 built by Vulcan Foundry 1934-5, Builder's numbers 4565 - 4610)

5000 - Crewe Works 1935     (Batch numbered 5000 - 5019,  Builder's numbers 216 - 35)

Strangely the Crewe built engines were on LMS Lot number 114 while the Vulcan batch above were on LMS Lot number 119 according to Mr Rowledge.

Edit typo - I really do know it's Crewe

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Sun is breaking through and my 2nd earlies are plumping up nicely. Oo-er. 

Tomato crop is going to be disappointing with very few flowers on any of the plants. 

Likewise Sweet peas are not great this year. 

Steady progress on the layout and a steady stream of job applications going in, albeit with quite long lead times. Nil desperandum, though.

Anyway, have a nice day everyone. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone.

A bright, warm sunny day, why wasn't it like this yesterday? After yesterday's excitement, today for me will be a little more relaxed. Just pottering about in the cellar this morning. The afternoon will however, be a bit more busy, I'm making cakes for SWMBO to take to her friends at Zumba as a thank you for all he sponsorship I've had from them.

So after I've consume mid-morning tea, I'm of to the cellar.

Back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Is it not strange that it is perfectly all right for a child to miss school for a competition - but NOT all right to miss school to go on an overseas holiday?  Sorry - not trying to be argumentative - but it does seem like one rule for the goose and another for the gander, to me

As a cheerful non-parent, I have no skin in this game, but the idea that teacher knows best about such matters has always got up my tits. And now I understand parents can be fined. Get real! Times is hard, and going for an affordable off-season holiday makes the difference between going and not going.

Furthermore, in my generation, when such things were allowed, we all got the education we got, left skool and walked into jobs. These days kids are under pressure to get to Uni, incur huge debt in simply being there, and have little chance of a decent job on leaving, scroll in hand.

Progress.

As a cheerful non-parent, I have no skin in this game, but the idea that teacher knows best about such matters has always got up my tits. And now I understand parents can be fined. Get real! Times is hard, and going for an affordable off-season holiday makes the difference between going and not going.

Furthermore, in my generation, when such things were allowed, we all got the education we got, left skool and walked into jobs. These days kids are under pressure to get to Uni, incur huge debt in simply being there, and have little chance of a decent job on leaving, scroll in hand.

Progress.

"Unauthorised absence", as it's called is very much at the discretion of the Headteacher, who might be concerned if a child has a poor attendance record generally. However, it can be particularly difficult in the SW (or other holiday areas) for parents whose livelihood depends on the tourist trade as they can't holiday in August.

Schools have government set attendance targets to reach which obviously are affected by children taking holidays. Personally, when I was teaching, I felt it was beneficial for a family to take a break (especially if the child was a nuisance!) and would encourage the child to share details of the experience on returning to school. Problems arose when parents had spilt up and would want to take the children away separately in term time, thereby exceeding the maximum of 10 days.

We could learn from Europe (hush my mouth!) where different areas in a country take holidays at different times. This seems to work in The Netherlands and France.

Hope you have warm sun as I have at Whiddon Down!

• Like 7