The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings,

This morning I applied a spray coat of gloss white to a towel holder, in an effort to refurbish the existing bathroom fittings, rather than have to buy new ones and (the bit I wouldn't like) have to fill the existing holes in the wall tiles and/or drill new ones.

Halfords do a gloss white aerosol that's called 'Appliance White' or some such. Bought a can of it over the weekend, plus a new can of their white primer, which in railway terms is excellent for spraying signal posts.

Sun is out and the rotary washing line has been put up, in the anticipation that CTMK will be wanting her washing outside today.

Tim, would I be right in presuming you are now discovering being retired is hard work? No more back to work Monday morning for the "rest".

You were warned! :nono:

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

I have just received a communication from the Royal Berks  NHS Trust - ah I thought, maybe my histology report although that seems quick?  But no it was a description of what was on my arm although I was worried to find I have Type 2 skin - why not Type 4 I wondered - it would nice to be Swindon built rather than one of those North British things.

It also described what I had on my arm - or what it looked like but the words were too long to pronounce but I did understand the fact that it was 7mm wide.  However the best bit was in the final sentence and I had to read it several times as it says '.... we will perform a shave curette and curettage ... today...'.  Oops though I , have I missed an appointment to have a  bit more chopped off?   I then looked at the date of the letter and it would seem that 'today' is 08 June, so that's alright because that's the bit they already cut off,  and which is now on the second stage of healing.  And nice of them to copy me in on the letter to my GP.

Lawn not mown - too wet.

Morning all...

Variably pleasant/tough weekend.

Saturday the graduate party for Trevor was excellent - he and two friends all now hold Masters credentials and quite the ticket. We managed to connect with one of his mates' parents, seems we have a LOT in common, not the least was a) What WERE the UK thinking!! :O  and b) "The Donald" is a complete IDIOT! :jester: From there it was easy to discover we could enjoy each others company, so that was nice. Always good to make/find new friends as you get older.

Sunday was, on the other hand a little "trying". It was Mrs birthday, and we'd already resigned ourselves to having to go to the cabin and mow/do yard work as we'd elected to stay home and go to Trevs grad party on Saturday.

Up leisurely for coffee, we were ready to depart, then discovered the Mrs had left the sprinkler running on her new plantings right next to the house - after what amounted to 15 hours continuous running, the ground was so saturated we discovered water was now leaking into the basement - what a MESS :( Mrs elected to stay home to clean that up, whilst I took off for the cabin to do all the yard work solo. 

Suffice to say, by the time I got back, we were both exhausted, but managed to get ourselves all cleaned up and went for a consolation birthday dinner at our favorite Thai restaurant.

As a result, NO modeling achieved over the weekend sadly.

Seems there's a lot of people regretting they elected to not used joined-up-thinking last Thursday! The appropriate thread here is one of the best discussions I've managed to see. Pretty much everything, everywhere else is about as combative as it could possibly get, without declaring all out war on each other, what a mess!

Weather was beastly hot and humid Saturday, hot Sunday but without the humidity and today, now only 19 and overcast with 23 expected as the high.

Hope your week starts well, considering all the turmoil.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Oooh, wasn't I on a rant earlier!

Steve is here now, and we went to the Aston Martin OC museum, which is in a very discrete tucked away barn (doing Didcot tomorrow now).  Rather impressive inside, but I think they worked out we weren't Aston owners.....ahem.  We did get to sit in an impressive A-M though!  Donk is right into it, photo later if I can find time between curry and beers.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The A127 and A13 I know well.  The latter even has a song about it.  Billy Bragg's A13 - Trunk Road to the Sea.  Which by a train of thought leads me on to those flash motors you sometimes see on said roads.  I once encountered (I won't say had as a friend) a slightly dubious "car fixer" who would issue an MOT certificate in exchange for an agreed payment and use of your car for his own purposes for a few hours.  It came embossed with the stamp of "BMW Essex" which in his case stood for Barking Motor Works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdVjtXkQuxQ

I know that roundabout well as it was the site of my last car prang!

I only wish the other driver had known it as well.

All I will say is that when hoping to drive on to a roundabout and do a 270o  circuit it would be helpful to position yourself on the inside lane of the roundabout, not on the outside lane and carve everyone up - my nearside wing in particular.

As for dodgy motor fixers of Essex. I was driving my Austin Allagro along the A13 one Sunday lunchtime. Can't quite remember which part failed but it was outside the Ford plant. Didn't take long for a likely lad to venture out of the pub and offer me a replacement part for cash. I suspect if I'd not got it going myself the car would have become some kind of mutant Esc-Agro.

Then again, I once came out of my digs in the center of Modena and a brown Allegro (with square steering tiller) drove past to catcalls from the other students along the lines of "Hey, how'd that get this far!"       

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Could those living in the colonies USofA answer a simple question for me please?  Are the sports types in your universities and topflight 'schools' semi-braindead and unable to equate the size and speed of a motor vehicle with the fact that they are on the motor vehicle's piece of road and actually need to get out of the way instead of dawdling along as if the bl**dy car is going to stop for them?  C*ckwombles doesn't even come close to describing these dumbos

I've had this sort of nonsense two day's running and as things tend to go in threes I am increasingly concerned that tomorrow could see 1.5 tonnes of Peugeot spoiling the chance of some bunch of rowing jocks actually competing in, let alone winning, anything.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Just got myself settled at the computer again, having had to go into town a bit later than anticipated to pick up 30747 from the Drs.

All posts read and rated, and as usual, greetings are on offer as needed for the ailing and the celebrating.

Not a lot more to add today, so back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

It would need a hell of a swear filter.......

No, Neil, don't complicate things, you just need a series of asterisks!

No, Neil, don't complicate things, you just need a series of asterisks!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I know that roundabout well as it was the site of my last car prang!

I only wish the other driver had known it as well.

All I will say is that when hoping to drive on to a roundabout and do a 270o  circuit it would be helpful to position yourself on the inside lane of the roundabout, not on the outside lane and carve everyone up - my nearside wing in particular.

Sadlers Farm is now on version 3. First it was a very big standard roundabout. Then it became "magic". Now more traditional but with traffic lights except that for people coming from London requiring Canvey do have the option of driving across the roundabout.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another joyous (not) evening at LBG. Many trains cancelled via East Croydon and the one that did rum only five instead of ten so you can imagine what the platform was like. Police in attendance to clear passengers trying to board.

That means ours had many deep waiting for it to arrive. Luckily it's running (previous Horsham one cancelled aswell) and we got seats as it pulled in but only in first class which they are announcing should be vacated for 1 st class ticket holders. People couldn't get on This train so what the f **** are they thinking people are to do.

There could well be trouble toning at LBG they way it's already heaving here.

Only four more days of this before our break. Can't come quick enough.

Update

With so few train running at the moment why are we stuck at Norwood junction due to congestion!!!

Arrived at ECR half hour after departing LBG

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

Today's been rather a good day, my trip to Grange-over-Sands this morning went surprisingly well, once I left home I didn't stop AT ALL until I reached site, even the traffic lights were on green as I passed them. Work it's self was nothing special so didn't take too long. I also had a good trip home, but alas I came across one set of lights on red and got stuck at a junction. But I still got home for 2:30. After a cuppa I went down to the cellar and continued to build some MERG kits, a another 3 built, so really pleased with that. I can build a kit in about 40 minutes, which is good going considering they built using surface mounted components.

Tea has been consumed (dinner for those who live south of Birmingham) and I've just finished my cuppa. I'm off to Salford Quays soon for my last swimming session before the Great Manchester Swim on Saturday.

My timing chip and new cap arrived a couple of days ago, just up Micks street, as it's a lovely shade of yellow.

post-27337-0-76520700-1467046602_thumb.jpeg

And the course

post-27337-0-45010000-1467046486_thumb.jpeg

Back later.

• Like 9

Afternoon all. I hope today has been a good one. The weather has certainly been nice and warm today. I received the good news today that student has gained a job today. I am pleased for her, hopefully she will be back working at our school in the future as she is a very good teacher.

The latest from Jersey - our talented young dancer competed in another ballet trio today. We managed to watch the performance via the web link. No medal today, but a creditable 7th place. Tomorrow she will perform two solo dances. We wish her well.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Good evening everyone.

Today's been rather a good day, my trip to Grange-over-Sands this morning went surprisingly well, once I left home I didn't stop AT ALL until I reached site, even the traffic lights were on green as I passed them. Work it's self was nothing special so didn't take too long. I also had a good trip home, but alas I came across one set of lights on red and got stuck at a junction. But I still got home for 2:30. After a cuppa I went down to the cellar and continued to build some MERG kits, a another 3 built, so really pleased with that. I can build a kit in about 40 minutes, which is good going considering they built using surface mounted components.

Tea has been consumed (dinner for those who live south of Birmingham) and I've just finished my cuppa. I'm off to Salford Quays soon for my last swimming session before the Great Manchester Swim on Saturday.

My timing chip and new cap arrived a couple of days ago, just up Micks street, as it's a lovely shade of yellow.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

And the course

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Back later.

Be careful you don't injest any of that water but have a good swim.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Missed out this morning as I had to be on a coach to the old County Ground at Jesmond where GSAL managed to just defeat RGS Newcastle.

Free trip both ways through the Tyne Tunnel as their ISA sink hole on the A1. ( possibly and old mine shaft?)

I am beginning to see a likeness to events in the UK and a certain Baldrick..."I think I have a cunning plan" ......

Sleep well all

Baz

• Like 2

I don't like Monday's. The journey to the office was good and the meeting ran to time. I then had to go to Oxford to pull someone's *rse out of the fire. Eventually got back home 13.5 hours and 380 miles later. Just what I need before another really early start tomorrow for a day that could very easily be another long one.

As many of you are aware, I don't follow the round ball game, but, I have put £5 on Iceland to win tonight. The odds were far too good not to.

LE - The non political article was good for a 2 minute read. But, did you watch the video at the bottom of the page? I can't stop laughing.

Brian - Good luck with the swim.

Thinking of those ailing, supporting, recovering and missing

• Like 5