The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Just read how a motorcyclist was caught for speeding near Cologne, doing 143 mph in a 62 mph zone. Guess he'll be in for a heavy fine!

Assuming it was out of town, by my reckoning 375€ fine, 3 months ban and 4 points. If it was in town, the fine is 425€ <_<

What a silly boy!

Interestingly enough, there was an article in the ADAC magazine this month about motorcyclists and speeding. Many believe they won't be caught because speed cameras photograph the front of the bike, and there is no numberplate on the front. The reality is that some cameras now also photograph the back - and the police are using new techniques to identify people from their facial features visible behind their helmet.

Of course, if he was caught by a real policeman then that's a different matter!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all brain is running slow so more tea required immediately! More tea led to spelling mistake being corrected.

At least it wasn't a spilling mistake.

Morning all.

Today I'm off to the opticians, not for my eyes but to see if they can repair my wife's spectacle frames. These are the supposedly unbreakable type that are very expensive considering that they don't have any frame at all round the lenses.Fortunately she has the previous pair as spares.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Full set of oktas in evidence. Virtual Friday for me as I have tomorrow booked as vacation and a schedule of things to do. Eyeballs don't seem to be working properly this morning so maybe this N gauge stuff is bad for your health. Perhaps more tea or a double espresso is required.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Another day, another guitar to fettle - provided the postman brings the strings. I ordered them in batches off Am*z*on then realised that as they were all different makes, they are all coming from different suppliers, with different delivery times.

Also hoping that he will (when he finally arrives here) have about his person a Duchess shaped box, as posted yesterday by Gareth.

Why is it when you're waiting for something nice in the post (for once) that the post is late, but on credit card bill day, the post is early? :angry:

Tony if the glasses are allegedly unbreakable, and you get told they can't be fixed, surely there is some comeback?

Robert/Dominik We get a lot of speeding bikes round here as well, as the road to Kirkby Lonsdale is regarded by bikers as a challenge - often see the speed cops out trying to catch a few. Rarely a weekend goes by without us hearing the police/ambulance sirens, and it is no rarity to see the air ambulance heading up the valley. Indeed, when I was in the trauma ward, they tried to have a bed on standby on the weekend, as it was a racing certainty that a damaged biker would be brought in.

Dave waht a good suggestion, I'm off to the coffee machine now - it doesn't do espresso, but if you put about half as much coffee again as the normal, then it does a pretty mean cup.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, brightish here today. Not much planned as despite being signed off work I have to attend the Southern Water EMT (Executive Management Team) roadshow at the Rose Bowl cricket ground this afternoon. Bullsh*t will undoubtedly be rife as they will be telling us that things are getting better (oh no they're not) and staff morale is on the up (no it ain't).

Still my manager is chauffeuring me to and from it (although it's only a mile up the road) and it's a buffet lunch.

I shall be taking my I-pod.

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Tony if the glasses are allegedly unbreakable, and you get told they can't be fixed, surely there is some comeback?

Regards to All

Stewart

It appears that they are unbreakable only during the guarantee period! I wonder if they suffered when she fell down the stairs at work recently, as they did get rather bent.

I'm always convinced that my flexi frames are not as flexi as the demonstrated pair.. My wife is due for an eye test soon and because she won't go except at the weekend the first one available is Nov 13th. I did suggest she could take a lunch hour for a change and see what Specsavers in East Ham High St can offer.

• RMweb Premium

and see what Specsavers in East Ham High St can offer.

Tony - one of the best opticians I have ever come across is Direkt Optik. They do a very good buy three for the proce of one offer, and two pairs are identical with exactly the same lenses (including complex multifocals) and a third pair with single vision lenses including a tint. They seem to have some presence in Essex, and are well worth checking out. No connection with this company other than as a happy customer.

• RMweb Premium

Of course, if he was caught by a real policeman then that's a different matter!

Far as I understand the report, he was indeed caught by a camera car, which did have a hard time catching up with him.

• RMweb Gold

Tony - one of the best opticians I have ever come across is Direkt Optik. They do a very good buy three for the proce of one offer, and two pairs are identical with exactly the same lenses (including complex multifocals) and a third pair with single vision lenses including a tint. They seem to have some presence in Essex, and are well worth checking out. No connection with this company other than as a happy customer.

They seem to be in Colchester which is some distance from here. My wife is actually happy with our local optician, it is just that they don't have any Saturday appointments for a while. Hopefully her old glasses are OK for now . I think the distance prescription was the same, it was the reading part that altered on the ones that are broken. She likes the man who advises on frame choice at the opticians. He told her she had the perfect nose for spectacles! She said that I'd always told her not to raise her nose or she would achieve Mach 2.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Far as I understand the report, he was indeed caught by a camera car, which did have a hard time catching up with him.

When my brother was a student he received a message that the police at Coventry had his motorbike. He hadn't even known it was missing . Apparently the thieves had been so frustrated at the difficulty of stealing it, they failed to notice the police traffic car they nearly hit as they left the college. After a pursuit round the Coventry ring road the police blocked the road and arrested the thieves. The traffic officer liked bikes and told my brother they had clocked the bike going at 125mph (with rider and pillion) and wondered how fast it could go. My brother's answer "70mph". He loved that bike and used to keep it looking immaculate and kept the engine perfectly tuned. It was written off in a 30mph accident. An elderly gentleman in a mini just pulled out of an old persons home and the bike was buried in the bodywork of the vehicle. My brother went straight over the top of the mini but wasn't hurt. There wasn't any question of whose fault it was as the elderly gentleman's wife was loudly telling all the witnesses and the police when they arrived about how bad her husband was as a driver and he never looked etc!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure the ER architecture fans will like this and are already asking their local friendly builder for a quote.

From Thursday's Telegraph

Tony

Which only goes to prove that wealth and good taste don't always go hand in hand. That has got to be one of the ugliest buildings I've ever seen.

It looks like a four year old made it out of Lego!

My son's Lego attempts at that age were far more sophisticated, so there. :P

Looks like the architect just took all his left over plans and stuck them on top of each other.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mmm, pasta with carbonara sauce for dinner was good :) . Think I'll do a risotto tomorrow!

I don't know the name of what we had. Chicken breasts wrapped in Parma ham in cheese/onion/garlic sauce with rice and peas.

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

Continuing the mixed themes with an Indian connection, I did enjoy a self-made beef curry tonight. It however wasn't vulgarly ostentatious like that Jenga tower...!

Or should that be ostentatiously vulgar...? :unsure:

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Don't know why, but it's quite a bit warmer this morning at more than 9° :blink: . However, the forecast says the good weather we've been having for the last few days is now coming to an end.

Have a good day everyone!