The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Try Lidl for flat pack boxes (sets of six) on sale for £4.99 at present. They measure: 38 x 27 x 16 cm. I've bought a set to take across to Olddudders next time I go .... (horse, water and drink spring to mind!)

Oi! I checked the horses' water this morning and topped it up. I prefer beer - have now finished that 12 pack of Greene Thing you brought me.

I understand the Chancellor addressed the nation this morning, which was good of him. On the Guardian webpage, noting a fair performance from Osborne, Michael White observes "First officer arrives on bridge of Titanic, while Boris pleads with the iceberg"!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Pete, I think you may be thinking of the A14 between Cambridge and Huntingdon.

As for the A13 and A127, I would say any road in Essex, including the A12 and M25 should be avoided as they are most likely to ave lodes of Essex exspurt drivas on em. Those with enuff dosh to buy an Owdi or Beemer should be regarded as especially wurf watching out for

Jol

The BMWs are usually unmarked police cars. Audis do seem to be the car favoured locally. I don't have an Audi.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone.

I couldn't get onto the rmweb this morning whilst eating breakfast.

Sunny and dry when I left, but now that I'm at Grange-over-Sands it's chucking it down.

First task was to put the kettle on and make a brew, then it was get down to work, now that's all done I can put my feet up and relax for a bit.

Back later.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Essex police also have a couple of unmarked Subaru's that are registered outside the county, a lot of wrongdoers have been caught because when they see that its not an Essex registration they presume its not a police car.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Usual felicitations to those unwell.

Elderly cockagedwombles sent on their way back to Kernow this morning, thank ^%$£.  No sleight to Kernow, they aren't Kernowish, just lived there a long time.  Mrs NHN IS Kernowish however, and shows no sign of the same behaviours, thankfully.  They feel the need to say everything four times, in case us poor islanders don't understand.  My patience (and I am a patient man) has been tested to it's absolute limits this weekend.  As for opinionated.....never heard the likes, they have got worse with age, but don't know anything, just their own opinions based in misunderstanding things in the press because they don't read to the end of sentences.  Poor Donk has been hiding in the back of the van.

Deb's nephew arrives for the Costa del Swansea soon, he is a smart young man (MA automotive design) and easy to get on with.  You wouldn't think he's related.  Curry tonight.....beer....good conversation....relaxation...oh and Didcot for trains first, as he's quite keen on our great hobby too!

Polly, that vertical boiler loco makes me smile, John's Steamplex is of similar size, smaller in the engine but bigger in the boiler.   The smaller in the engine bit is about to be addressed, a large twin cylinder engine (an old barring engine from a big pumping station engine) has been acquired.  More as the maintenance season arrives!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Wonder what this week will bring. I just hope there's no new announcements by model railway manufacturers - I don't think I could stand the squabbling! 

I hear Mr Trump did some sightseeing whilst over here opening his latest golf course....

Mr Trump: "Like what you've done with that wall. And you say you got the people south of it to pay for it and build it?! Great idea!"  

Had to deal with a case of Mondayitis with my youngest. In spite of the huge amount of trampolining, running around with friends, and general larking around over the weekend that he had managed, the bruise he got falling down his bunk bed ladder early on Saturday morning had become critical. Strangely this happened just as he was asked to get his school uniform on.

Weather summary: summery.

Have a nice day everyone. Andy 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

No suitable icon for a comment to this.

I've often wondered if it would be possible to install some kind of a dot matrix display at the rear of one's car, where an appropriate message could be activated by voice command from the driving seat.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I've often wondered if it would be possible to install some kind of a dot matrix display at the rear of one's car, where an appropriate message could be activated by voice command from the driving seat.

It would need a hell of a swear filter.......

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The BMWs are usually unmarked police cars. Audis do seem to be the car favoured locally. I don't have an Audi.

Pronounced BEE-M00 in this neck of the woods!  No, we don't have one.  We don't have the other one, either!

' Morning all from, yes, you've guessed it, red dragon land.

Sunny.  Stirring thoughts of getting on with painting some layout figures, but with a cold taking a hold that's all it may amount to....a-t-CH00...

Dealing with current news - We have an old tradition....

Keep calm

Carry on as normal

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Greetings,

This morning I applied a spray coat of gloss white to a towel holder, in an effort to refurbish the existing bathroom fittings, rather than have to buy new ones and (the bit I wouldn't like) have to fill the existing holes in the wall tiles and/or drill new ones.

Halfords do a gloss white aerosol that's called 'Appliance White' or some such. Bought a can of it over the weekend, plus a new can of their white primer, which in railway terms is excellent for spraying signal posts.

Sun is out and the rotary washing line has been put up, in the anticipation that CTMK will be wanting her washing outside today.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Evening all from misty moisty red dragon land.

Just a few pics from today's Penrhyn Quarry Railway Open Day before the rain.

Excellent photos, thanks for posting them. I've got to say, I had no idea that the Penrhyn lot had made such progress, that all looks excellent.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

This made me wonder whether that kind of function could be added to the destination matrix displays on our trams. After all, the most important pieces of hardware are already there! :mosking:

Even so, I know of incidents where motorists did slam their shiny rides into the rear of a tram for the usual reasons such as tailgating, phoning or texting while driving, or similar. Oh, the ineptitude…

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Essex police also have a couple of unmarked Subaru's that are registered outside the county, a lot of wrongdoers have been caught because when they see that its not an Essex registration they presume its not a police car.

Three ER's have found the 'information useful'? :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Many years ago the plain clothes copmobiles round here were Lotus Cortinas (the original version) but they got rid of them because of the cost of maintenance - engine change every 10,000 miles 'boys in blue racers'.  I haven't got a clue what they use now although they did have a couple of beemers a few years back.

Reasonable weather at the moment but I expect the grass is still too wet to cut after last night's further deluge - I wonder if it will dry out before we set sail?

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 8

I'd be a mite mistrustful of the source of that leak, Pete - he can't spell "Escocia" or Gibraltar.

It may be the Nigerian Prince's sister that emailed me the other week. She had probably gone to the same school and missed the English class

• Like 1

Could be a trifle embarassing when you are talking to the passenger about your pile cream or your next visit the STD clinic!

Some Glasgow trams were fitted with a PA so that drivers could let potential passenger know where they were going. It was removed after a driver announced the possable oversized bovine origins of a female passerby! 

Another post this morning from the now slightly cloudy Charente.

To quote Victor Meldrew I cannot believe it. Les than 3 hours work and we have a long trench and a level paddling pool base.

08.05 the contractor appeared as promised. By 08.15 this was the scene.

attachicon.gif160627-2.jpg

just over an hour later the pool base was finished and they started the trench for the electric cable.

attachicon.gif160627-3.jpg

By 10.50 they were loaded and gone and this was the result.

attachicon.gif160627-4.jpg

To say that my gast is flabberred would be an understatement. The ground for the trench was hard, as expected and would have been a pig to dig by hand so it has saved me an awful lot of effort. A mate arrives Thursday and we will start building the thing. Eric put his laser level where I had marked out the circle using a plank with a level taped to it. I was quite pleased that he arrived at exactly the same figure for the drop in level as I had. 10 cm across the site. The laser was a nice piece of kit though.

One thought on the vote. Chatting to the contractor after I'd supplied coffee he talked about it and said that he feels that if the same was tried in France they would vote to leave. Interesting.

Jamie

When does Tony Robinson and the rest of the team arrive? There is bound to be an as yet undiscovered late Roman period villa just waiting to be discovered.

• RMweb Premium

slowstards

Slowbies as they are known to me.  And to anyone misfortunate enough to have been fireman passenger to my driving.  Persons who prefer to insist upon driving rather more sedately than might be considered appropriate and causing undue delay to all those in the rear.

Speaking of slowbies our dear website was indeed somewhat under pace a while back and with intermittent time-out on page requests but it seems well again now.

I do like the idea of a variable message sign displayed for the benefit of those behind.  It would need voice-recognition software to avoid the ban on other devices being used to activate it.  But thoughts include

"I'm slower than you but I'm in front and the car's paid for"
"Get out of my exhaust pipe until I know you better"
"If you think that's 60 get your speedo checked"
"Accident ahead - baby on board" (think about it ;) )
"What's a cockwomble?  Look in the mirror" 

The A127 and A13 I know well.  The latter even has a song about it.  Billy Bragg's A13 - Trunk Road to the Sea.  Which by a train of thought leads me on to those flash motors you sometimes see on said roads.  I once encountered (I won't say had as a friend) a slightly dubious "car fixer" who would issue an MOT certificate in exchange for an agreed payment and use of your car for his own purposes for a few hours.  It came embossed with the stamp of "BMW Essex" which in his case stood for Barking Motor Works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdVjtXkQuxQ

• Like 15