The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Glad I quit when I did!

There has been a campaign to, supposedly, make drivers aware of bikers. One sign I noted beside the A272 was printed to read 'Bikers think'; needless to say that some wag had inserted the word "don't" in an appropriate place. And why do they have to ride 5 abreast on country roads at weekends?

Perhaps a subconscious death wish?

Don 

• RMweb Premium

I tried golf once. What a silly game that is..

Hit ball. Find ball. Hit ball. Find ball. Hit Ball. Find ball. Knock ball in hole.

Rinse and repeat 18 times.

In my case today, I had too many hit ball/find ball before knocking it in the hole......

Today was my FiL's Memorial Trophy and I was exceedingly proud to have won it a few years ago.

Because the Competition Chairman and his deputy are both indisposed, it's my honour to announce the results at the presentation evening tonight. MiL will be presenting the prizes.

Quick snooze before donning shirt and tie.

Catch up later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 14

Stewart if I'd known you'd be taking the A417 I might have told you not to.  Some sections of it are excellent to drive but that can quickly be ruined by the presence of cockwombles - which it seems to attract like bees to a honeypot for some totally inexplicable reason.

It is amazing isn’t it? Another one is that crazy road near Cambridge, oh, dear I’ve forgotten the number... The A13 and the A127 (formerly the Southend Arterial Road) both going to Southend - on - Sea, which may have something to do with it.

It can’t be me; the semi-official top 3 most dangerous roads I’ve never driven on:

A18 from Laceby to Ludborough, Lincs

A36 from A3090 to Totton, Hants.

A588 from A585 Blackpool to Lancaster (which is in Stewart’s neck of the woods)

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Good evening from a now drizzling Surrey.

Two cars washed then jet washed the drive.

Fence panel installed after cutting back the ivy in a diffcult spot behind the roses.

Track clearance has commenced but still yet to run a train in three years. If its dry tomorrow evening I will try on a short length of track but still plenty of plant pruning still to do in order to be able to complete a full circuit.

In between being in the garden I kept popping in to change negative strips in the scanner. Currently scanning the Bluebell in 1987.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Game reduced to 35 overs a side. Yorkshire 2s won by scoring a 2 off the 2nd off last ball of the game. Well played! Teas superb. Just as we run shed it started to rain.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the day.

Baz

• Like 5

It seems to me that being bothered by the "cockwomble" syndrome is a self inflicted one. If one must do 30-32 mph in a 30 mph zone it seems, then you must expect to be overtaken. It has always amazed me when this happens usually by a vehicle which is doing at least 50 mph. Having disappeared into the distance at that speed, almost always in a cloud of black smoke, you catch them up in a half mile or so at the next set of traffic lights. Or you observe them turning left or right. What do they gain? I know what they can lose in mpg if not in an RTA.

I almost forgot, if you want some-one to drive faster, tailgate them. Don't try it with me because I always turn my head to look in my rear view mirrors, so the cockwomble knows I'm watching them and I always slow down to about 28-29 mph if they don't take the hint.  

That's my daily allowance of ranting used up for to-day. 

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 9

Evenin' all,

An image sent to me by my co-driver of yesterday....I'm the one with the blue cool bag....

post-7795-0-39262800-1466969741_thumb.jpg

....there are few political bones in my body, however, the majority have spoken for now (future votes etc may well change our route once more) so it might be the right thing to do to just work together to make the best of today and let tomorrow happen when we get there.

Dave 

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 6

It seems to me that being bothered by the "cockwomble" syndrome is a self inflicted one. If one must do 30-32 mph in a 30 mph zone it seems, then you must expect to be overtaken. It has always amazed me when this happens usually by a vehicle which is doing at least 50 mph. Having disappeared into the distance at that speed, almost always in a cloud of black smoke, you catch them up in a half mile or so at the next set of traffic lights. Or you observe them turning left or right. What do they gain? I know what they can lose in mpg if not in an RTA.

I almost forgot, if you want some-one to drive faster, tailgate them. Don't try it with me because I always turn my head to look in my rear view mirrors, so the cockwomble knows I'm watching them and I always slow down to about 28-29 mph if they don't take the hint.  

I do exactly the same. It's amazing how many times these same people accuse me of driving too slowly.

• RMweb Gold

I've just watched part of the Question Time Special.

During the debate, they mentioned that the petition for a Second Referendum only had about 400,000 people on it that were actually eligible to vote.

The popular press AND the BBC are now reporting that there could be a fraud investigation into this petition!

From the Daily Express:

The House of Commons Petition Committee has been forced to investigate the alleged fraud saying it “undermines parliamentary democracy”.

It rained here all afternoon, which really messed up my plans for working on the drive way to complete the curved bridge.

I have come to the conclusion that I'd be better off redesigning that corner of the railway area, and installing an embankment instead.

Of course the plus side of this would be the ability to turn the operating pit into an operating muddy hollow!

My time could then be better spend building a gravity fed cider tank.

I did manage to finish off refurbishing more targets for next weekend. as well as cutting the 90m boundary rope (12 mm white polyprop) into more manageable lengths.  we also have 200 m of 6 mm yellow polyprop, although I've got that mounted on a drum (ex hose pipe drum)

We also have the ends heat shrink wrapped as a visual indicator as to the length.

The PH observed that the black ones are always the longest!

Tomorrow is an early start as I have to have my hearing checked, then I'm off to Llanwrtyd Wells to drop off and collect various bits of shooting stuff.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I must stop listening to the news the spouting of half truths by the politicians make me itch to oppose them but I feel we have had too much about it on here. I suspect Mr Cameron was taught the classics, obviously he forgot the story of Pandora's box.

Baz glad you enjoyed the cricket. Somehow I feel these special rules and all that are confusing and may not encourage more people to take an interest.

The A417 North from Cirencester towards |Gloucester was rebuilt with dual carriageways apart from a short bit near Birdlip. I travelled on it daily while they were doing the rebuilding, putting up with all the disruption it was opened just before I took early retirement so got little benefit from it. 

Don

• Like 9

My mates Dad always promoted flicking his lights on for tailgaters.

• Like 3

My mates Dad always promoted flicking his lights on for tailgaters.

The street in which I live is a left turn for me off the main road, just before a second left turn junction controlled by traffic lights. I always indicate in advance and slow down by touching by brake pedal at least a couple of times to make sure my driver behind me realises I'm taking the first turnoff not the second. They still close right up behind me and yesterday I had a driver blowing the horn and gesticulating at my slowing down.

Your mate has a wise dad, mine was a driver instructor in the army and in civvy street. You got it right or you got "marched down the guard room".

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I must stop listening to the news the spouting of half truths by the politicians make me itch to oppose them but I feel we have had too much about it on here. I suspect Mr Cameron was taught the classics, obviously he forgot the story of Pandora's box.

Baz glad you enjoyed the cricket. Somehow I feel these special rules and all that are confusing and may not encourage more people to take an interest.

The A417 North from Cirencester towards |Gloucester was rebuilt with dual carriageways apart from a short bit near Birdlip. I travelled on it daily while they were doing the rebuilding, putting up with all the disruption it was opened just before I took early retirement so got little benefit from it. 

Don

We often use the A449/M5/A417 combo going from Telford to Reading rather than use the M6/M40.

The bit going up the hill to the 'Air Balloon', and the single carriageway to the start of the 'new' dual carriageway can still be a bottle neck, but once through Nettleton, the run down to the M4 at Swindon is now a rapid one.

Most of my chores have been completed today. The only one remaining is some of the ironing which I couldn't be bothered with.

For some reason I'm feeling totally fed up and have no motivation for anything.

Early start in the morning, so time to get some sleep.

Thinking of those ailing, supporting, recovering and missing

Night all

• RMweb Gold

We often use the A449/M5/A417 combo going from Telford to Reading rather than use the M6/M40.

The bit going up the hill to the 'Air Balloon', and the single carriageway to the start of the 'new' dual carriageway can still be a bottle neck, but once through Nettleton, the run down to the M4 at Swindon is now a rapid one.

That's a Journey we used to do a lot when living at Ironbridge with the In laws in Reading. It was anything but rapid in those days.

Don